Trudeau accuses Indian government of involvement in killing of Canadian Sikh leader

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There is a new CBC article today that goes into the type of evidence a bit, claims India has not denied involvement behind closed doors, and suggest the US may be behind part of the evidence and support Canada on the matter:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sikh-nijjar-india-canada-trudeau-modi-1.6974607

A few quotes:
There is no way the US don't know about this. Absolutely no way. I even suspect some of the intel was leaked to Canada to force Trudeau to move, and if it is indeed true the media caught wind of it first, I'll be my lunch it was leaked by some "closed source"

There's no way a Canadian Investigative Journalist can get hands of this extremely high level intelligence, the burden of proof for these kinds of accusations are usually very high I doubt editors would publish anything without solid evidence

FriedClams

I find it really interesting, that when simply typing "Trudeau" into google, these are the results that come up. All from Indian news outlets.... (FYI I am thousands and thousands of miles from India)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I find it really interesting, that when simply typing "Trudeau" into google, these are the results that come up. All from Indian news outlets.... (FYI I am thousands and thousands of miles from India)

Maybe it has to do with internet traffic and hence more visibility due to our population? The ruling party in India has something we call their IT cell that are essentially masters of spreading misinformation, hatred and the party / dead leader’s agenda. And while they will definitely artificially create a social media wave to their favour as they always do, this just appears to be google’s algorithm and hence probably not their doing (?).

FriedClams

Maybe it has to do with internet traffic and hence more visibility due to our population? The ruling party in India has something we call their IT cell that are essentially masters of spreading misinformation, hatred and the party / dead leader’s agenda. And while they will definitely artificially create a social media wave to their favour as they always do, this just appears to be google’s algorithm and hence probably not their doing (?).
Maybe, it's just very weird to see it like that, where I live.

RedDevil@84

So news agencies have "proof"
Canada has "proof"
Canada will not share the "proof" with India
US may or may not be aware of this "proof"
US and Canada have asked India to cooperate though they will not give the "proof"

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Canada has "proof"
US and Canada have asked India to cooperate though they will not give the "proof"
That doesn't quite sound like the actual situation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Isn't it? I haven't seen any statements about Canada sharing the proof with India. But US seems to be asking India to cooperate.
Your post sounded rather sceptical, sorry if I misinterpreted that. In any case, as far as I know:

So news agencies have "proof" > To my knowledge, just one media outlet was going to report on the investigation. I have not seen anywhere what information they actually had; they might not have seen the proof, but just have heard that the investigation currently suggested that India was behind the murder.

Canada has "proof" > Well, they certainly have something, apparently various kinds of communications between Indian officials. How specific those communications are is anyone's guess at this point.

Canada will not share the "proof" with India > Are you sure about that? Apparently a Canadian representatives has spent several days in India twice for this matter. It's not specified what he did during that time, but I would assume has some kind of awareness at this point of what evidence Canada has specifically.

US may or may not be aware of this "proof" > They definitely are aware. Apparently, Canada has shared the information it has so far with its Five Eyes partners (US, UK, Australia, New Zealand). Part of the evidence might actually come from the US; or at least, it's said that a Five Eyes partners supplied part of it, and the US seems most likely in that regard.

US and Canada have asked India to cooperate though they will not give the "proof" > I am not sure what this is based on. See above for that Canadian representative visiting India. Also, it is claimed that, behind closed doors, India has not denied the accusations. (For what it's worth.)
:D

Does that actually surprise anyone? I would assume all countries try to eavesdrop on anything they can at all times, especially a country with super sophisticated methods and equipment like the US. And I would be verysurprised if India didn't try to do that with the foreign embassies in India.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Canadian news publishers are blocked on google so it’s not really that interesting I’d say. The big topic is Canada and India, with Canadian news being blocked that leaves Indian outlets.
At the same time when I search it is mainly UK and European news outlets.

RedDevil@84

Canada will not share the "proof" with India > Are you sure about that? Apparently a Canadian representatives has spent several days in India twice for this matter. It's not specified what he did during that time, but I would assume has some kind of awareness at this point of what evidence Canada has specifically.
Canada came out publicly accusing India. Why would it suddenly be very private when it comes to the news on sharing proofs.
I would expect a very public statement saying "We have shared copies of everything we have with India and would expect their cooperation in the investigation" or something of that sort.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Canada came out publicly accusing India. Why would it suddenly be very private when it comes to the news on sharing proofs.
I would expect a very public statement saying "We have shared copies of everything we have with India and would expect their cooperation in the investigation" or something of that sort.
As indicated before, they came out with a statement only because a media outlet was going to report on the matter. They would have waited longer afterwards since the investigation hasn't finished yet. It makes sense to refrain from sharing stuff until that's done - and if it's taps of classified conversations, then the public will never get to hear of read any of it, no matter what.

RedDevil@84

As indicated before, they came out with a statement only because a media outlet was going to report on the matter. They would have waited longer afterwards since the investigation hasn't finished yet. It makes sense to refrain from sharing stuff until that's done - and if it's taps of classified conversations, then the public will never get to hear of read any of it, no matter what.
I am not talking about making the proof public. I am talking about telling the public that the proof has been shared to India through diplomatic channels.
Without doing that, asking India to cooperate when it is denying the involvement seems pointless.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
By the way, this is the first time I had ever heard about the Khalistani movement.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Canada-India row puts spotlight on Sikh activism in UK

Just this year, British Sikhs across the political spectrum shared their confusion and concern about the findings of a recent review into Britain's faith landscape by the UK government's Faith Engagement Advisor, Colin Bloom.
After years of research, Mr Bloom devoted more of his final report to Sikh "extremist and subversive activities" than it did to Muslim, far right and Hindu extremism combined.
A particularly interesting part...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Canada has "proof"
It's nothing strange for Bigger countries like US or the Five Eyes to know what's exactly what with their non stop surveillance system. It's just that most of the intel would be too classified to be opened in public and would open cans of worms. A dead politicians would off course rings the alarm bell and I've no doubt Trudeau have been briefed behind the closed door.

The strange thing is : How come the news agency has that proof? Someone must have been tipping them off big time.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's nothing strange for Bigger countries like US or the Five Eyes to know what's exactly what with their non stop surveillance system. It's just that most of the intel would be too classified to be opened in public and would open cans of worms. A dead politicians would off course rings the alarm bell and I've no doubt Trudeau have been briefed behind the closed door.

The strange thing is : How come the news agency has that proof? Someone must have been tipping them off big time.
They might not have seen any evidence though, they might just have had someone telling them that the investigators were starting to conclude that India was behind the murder - which would be enough for a big headline. (As long as the outlet found the source credible enough.) Actually, since Trudeau in his statement didn't really mention anything else, that's quite likely to have been all the outlet knew.

(It also seems to me that the Canadian government has since rolled out a steady stream of 'leaks' to further support Trudeau's statement without anyone having to go on record for it.)

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
So why is Canada not sharing the info with Indian side and tweet that the info has been shared.
If the evidence that Canada has that India was involved in the killing is "intercepted communication" from Indian diplomats about the killing then it means the Indian side are probably aware of it due to the fact that it's their "communication" about the killing that is being intercepted :confused:

Kyonn

If the evidence that Canada has that India was involved in the killing is "intercepted communication" from Indian diplomats about the killing then it means the Indian side are probably aware of it due to the fact that it's their "communication" about the killing that is being intercepted :confused:
And sharing the exact "intercepted communication" would revel to the Indian government where the leaks are on their side.

RedDevil@84

I claim that I have a bunch of papers saying caf is responsible for the injury situation at United. So caf asks me to show them the proof and I say "Caf is already aware because it is caf who did it"

That is no "proof" or "fact".

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Moral of the story is seemingly that countries continue to assassinate people exercising free speech around the globe, and there are little to no repercussions. Except for maybe the actual killers falling out of a window I guess.

iKnowNothing

Pakistan unsurprisingly came out against India on this issue with Canada. What I don’t get is, assuming Khalistan becomes a reality, wouldn’t a part of Punjab on the Pakistan side also be included in Khalistan? Or are there no signs of support for this movement in Pakistan?

admittedly, I know nothing about this movement in Pakistan.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Pakistan unsurprisingly came out against India on this issue with Canada. What I don’t get is, assuming Khalistan becomes a reality, wouldn’t a part of Punjab on the Pakistan side also be included in Khalistan? Or are there no signs of support for this movement in Pakistan?

There are very few Sikhs in Pakistan.

Zlatattack

1. Anything Pakistan says is for optics and domestic consumption. Even people in Pakistan don't buy the BS they're selling anymore.
2. Pakistan has no interest in Khalistan, if they ever did support the cause, it was just to cause harm to India.
3. Pakistan in the past betrayed the Khalistani's during the Benazir Bhutto regime.
4. Pakistan is currently busy assasinating Kashmiri Mujahideen leaders in AJK and Pakistan. You'd be surprised at the frequency they're being shot "randomly".

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
1. Anything Pakistan says is for optics and domestic consumption. Even people in Pakistan don't buy the BS they're selling anymore.
2. Pakistan has no interest in Khalistan, if they ever did support the cause, it was just to cause harm to India.
3. Pakistan in the past betrayed the Khalistani's during the Benazir Bhutto regime.
4. Pakistan is currently busy assasinating Kashmiri Mujahideen leaders in AJK and Pakistan. You'd be surprised at the frequency they're being shot "randomly".
On point 4, why is Pakistan doing it? Sorry for the ignorance but surely Pakistan would be bolstering Kashmiri militants and terrorists?

Zlatattack

On point 4, why is Pakistan doing it? Sorry for the ignorance but surely Pakistan would be bolstering Kashmiri militants and terrorists?
I don't think the military establishment are interested in Kashmir anymore. They've milked that cow for as long as they could. The last army chief and the current one are interested in wealth creation - for themselves.

TBH as a Kashmiri (not ethnic Kashmiri, my family have roots in Jammu for several centuries and can trace back our ancestory to Central Punjab) I don't think Pakistan has been sincere about the Kashmiri cause for a while now. I suspect even the support of militants was more of an anti India move than a pro-Kashmir move. Compare BDS and other Pro Palestinian movements to the Kashmiri movements. Most people in the world think Kashmir is a type of wool.

The people of Pakistan are 100% behind the Kashmiri cause, but the govts have varied in support.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

So many supposed leaks. Looks like the Canadian govt is like United dressing room. The tweets are as spicy as the United rumours as well.