Television True Detective: Night Country | Season 4 | FINALE SPOILERS

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So you're telling me that the Guardian were fibbing when they said that this is better than season one because it's got fewer men and more women and inuits and that? :(

hobbers

It got good reviews for ticking boxes no doubt, not because the critics actually watched the show.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The intro, like the music and visuals and camerawork and stuff, is so cool that every time it nearly convinces me I'm about to see a decent episode of television.

hobbers

This show would be pretty good if it was written to be an absurdist comedy, based on Rust having a fever dream where indigenous dinnerladies round up and murder a group of white male scientists. Because of pollution. And then at the end maybe he wakes up and someone has written 'time is a flat circle' all over his bedroom walls in shit.

Herman Toothrot

So you're telling me that the Guardian were fibbing when they said that this is better than season one because it's got fewer men and more women and inuits and that? :(
That's a pretty disingenuous take of a review that was clearly of the opening episode.

It's fine for someone to have not enjoyed something previously because of its 'Acting-with-a-capital-A and Directing-with-a-capital-D' style. It's also fine for someone to not be into overwhelmingly male-dominated stories.

It's just their opinion, which isn't wrong, it's just not the same as yours - and in this case mine too.

But it shouldn't haunt you for weeks.

It got good reviews for ticking boxes no doubt, not because the critics actually watched the show.
Aye yai yai.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's a pretty disingenuous take of a review that was clearly of the opening episode.

It's fine for someone to have not enjoyed something previously because of its 'Acting-with-a-capital-A and Directing-with-a-capital-D' style. It's also fine for someone to not be into overwhelmingly male-dominated stories.

It's just their opinion, which isn't wrong, it's just not the same as yours - and in this case mine too.

But it shouldn't haunt you for weeks.
Who's "haunted"? I just found it funny that the review was so obviously coloured more by politics than by the quality or otherwise of the show. Just as I would have done if the Mail or Express had given it 1/5 and called it the worst shit ever for the same reasons.

Like most people in here, I thought True Detective starring Jodie Foster sounded fantastic and I was hoping that review was right, but the comments from actual people having seen the show have put it quite far down my to-watch list.

Zen86

Very girl power. Bad, bad men.

Ultimately it played out like a knockoff Tarantino film.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Half of that episode was Danvers running around shouting "Navarro!" down hallways.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Dogshit. The actual reasoning behind the scientists deaths was fine, but that took up about 5 minutes of the episode. Instead we get supernatural pish and endless nothing conversation.

Mike Smalling

It feels like they crammed 80% of the plot into this final episode. They could easily have spread it out more over the season, so we didn't have a full episode of men thawing. Then there was a complete tonal shift towards the end as well towards something very profound and meaningful, when they have barely scratched the surface of that stuff in the rest of season. Also, the amount of times they split up Danvers and Navarro so plot could happen was stupid - why not search the station as a pair, so you don't get overpowered by the lunatic?

And have I forgot something, or did they spring the whole thing about Danvers having a son on us in this last episode? Was the only foreshadowing that stupid one-eyed polar bear?

Edit: Just realized that they recycled the whole "custodial worker(s) appearing briefly in an earlier episode is actually the killer" element from Season 1 :lol: Feck off!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
zAnd have I forgot something, or did they spring the whole thing about Danvers having a son on us in this last episode? Was the only foreshadowing that stupid one-eyed polar bear?
That was implied/hinted at a couple of times earlier.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It feels like they crammed 80% of the plot into this final episode. They could easily have spread it out more over the season, so we didn't have a full episode of men thawing. Then there was a complete tonal shift towards the end as well towards something very profound and meaningful, when they have barely scratched the surface of that stuff in the rest of season. Also, the amount of times they split up Danvers and Navarro so plot could happen was stupid - why not search the station as a pair, so you don't get overpowered by the lunatic?

And have I forgot something, or did they spring the whole thing about Danvers having a son on us in this last episode? Was the only foreshadowing that stupid one-eyed polar bear?

Edit: Just realized that they recycled the whole "custodial worker(s) appearing briefly in an earlier episode is actually the killer" element from Season 1 :lol: Feck off!
There was just a lot of very silly stuff going on. Why did the reindeer or caribous or whatever throw themselves off a cliff in the very first episode? Why was the polar bear there? Taqaq? Qavik? The trailer full of weird ritual stuff? The people it actually revolved around weren't really in the show at all. How many naps did Danvers need in that last episode? It was madness.

Withnail

That was implied/hinted at a couple of times earlier.
It was more than hinted at. You knew she had a son who died. They showed him or pics of him and the polar bear. Later she found the bear, in an old box I think, and got upset and threw out into the snow, then he appeared and spoke to Navarro while holding the bear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wibble

hobbers

Why was some mad old professor out there in the middle of nowhere, and why was she happy to help cover up bodies without even needing anything explained? And why did they leave a rookie cop to clean up the body of his own father off someone's elses floor, who he had just seconds ago shot in the head :lol:

Also miraculous that the tunnel where they fall through is somehow only 100 yards from the research outpost.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If a payoff like that came after 3 or 4 ten episode seasons, I'd be annoyed but it was only a 6 episode miniseries. It was alright.

Would've been funny if the last shot was the Dad's mail order bride getting off the plane with a box of chocolates and flowers.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Feck that. Fell completely flat on its face that show. Unfortunate, endless night..everybody and their mother wanting to opt out of a raw deal: the premise was fine.

I‘m certain I won‘t ever rewatch that season. Every other of the three, even the campy second, has at least some stuff going for it. This felt like a tediously drawn out „Outer Limits“ episode.

arnie_ni

It was more than hinted at. You knew she had a son who died. They showed him or pics of him and the polar bear. Later she found the bear, in an old box I think, and got upset and threw out into the snow, then he appeared and spoke to Navarro while holding the bear.
Explain this? Who put the tongue there?

Edit shit sorry thought you were talking about the tongue

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Beyond awful finale. Apparently the truest detectives are the ones who cover up the most extrajudicial killings?

Also glorifying suicide when it's a disproportionately large problem for indigenous peoples is pretty fecking despicable if you ask me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not generally one for dissing on shows that have female empowerment but it really felt like they did their utmost in this to make all the women really strong characters and all the men absolute fannies :lol: It's strange that they thought it would go down well in a show that's predominantly been enjoyed by men in the past, but oh well.

As I said before, it's like they wrote a different show, slapped the True Detective logo on it for more viewership, and added some references to season one that had zero impact on the actual story. Such a fecking mess.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm not generally one for dissing on shows that have female empowerment but it really felt like they did their utmost in this to make all the women really strong characters and all the men absolute fannies :lol: It's strange that they thought it would go down well in a show that's predominantly been enjoyed by men in the past, but oh well.

As I said before, it's like they wrote a different show, slapped the True Detective logo on it for more viewership, and added some references to season one that had zero impact on the actual story. Such a fecking mess.
There was only one decent guy in it, Navarro's fella.

Prior was a dumb puppy until that line out of nowhere about "You hate me for making you have the baby." or something like that, pushed him into cnutish territory.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Explain this? Who put the tongue there?

Edit shit sorry thought you were talking about the tongue
The tongue was used awfully, I agree. Three options I can think of and they‘re all terrible. a) Hank, who staged the scene of the murder cut the tongue. Most believable angle. But why keep it? And then, why put it there? Makes zero sense. b) Those mean cleaning ladies put it there to start off the investigation (as if a bunch of frozen bodies wouldn‘t be enough). Makes no sense. Even if: why not hint at it when being brave enough already to confess it all anyway. c) it‘s the supernatural, stupid! Most likely cop out scenario I believe. Connects with Danver‘s scene eating an orange at that table. (Yea, makes no sense either).

That‘s one of my main irks with this season: it‘s all so fecking nebulous, except for the utterly clichéd characters, could be, this could be that: that‘s not how you do a good mystery, it‘s fecking nonsense. Why did Navarro see the damaged icebear? That wasn‘t part of her story. Marty never had hallucinations, that wasn‘t part of his story. Hence why they worked - it was alsosatisfyingly explained with Cohle‘s backstory working undercover, doing drugs.

And the brooding foreshadowing (and some red herrings at first watch) with Marty‘s kids drawing spirals, staging scary scenes with their puppets or drawing a women with flowers on her belly or wearing a crown while playing outside never was never played out as some mystic, supernatural thing but happened at the side, possibly even unnoticed by many. (Also tied in beautifully with Rust‘s comment on how the early demise of his child spared him the sin of becoming a father all the while we see Marty trying to stage a happy home for his children while terrible things happen outside, even the marriage being fake already and those drawings etc just highlighted that those kids can‘t be protected and it‘s a very nihilistic and terrible message that fitted that show and atmosphere perfectly.)

wish they‘d gone full blown horror/camp with this one - but even the portrayal of Annie Ks (also hated hiw those that were meant caring for that woman the most always called her „ Annie K“) killing wasn‘t really terrifying nor was the raid of the mad cleaning ladies on the station griping - it was filmed instead utterly ridiculous.

end of rant

hobbers

They also fell into the common trap of turning the strong female characters into men, with no redeemable qualities.

Navarro and Danvers are thoroughly horrible people, impossible for anyone to relate to on any level.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The tongue was used awfully, I agree. Three options I can think of and they‘re all terrible. a) Hank, who staged the scene of the murder cut the tongue. Most believable angle. But why keep it? And then, why put it there? Makes zero sense. b) Those mean cleaning ladies put it there to start off the investigation (as if a bunch of frozen bodies wouldn‘t be enough). Makes no sense. Even if: why not hint at it when being brave enough already to confess it all anyway. c) it‘s the supernatural, stupid! Most likely cop out scenario I believe. Connects with Danver‘s scene eating an orange at that table. (Yea, makes no sense either).

That‘s one of my main irks with this season: it‘s all so fecking nebulous, except for the utterly clichéd characters, could be, this could be that: that‘s not how you do a good mystery, it‘s fecking nonsense. Why did Navarro see the damaged icebear? That wasn‘t part of her story. Marty never had hallucinations, that wasn‘t part of his story. Hence why they worked - it was alsosatisfyingly explained with Cohle‘s backstory working undercover, doing drugs.

And the brooding foreshadowing (and some red herrings at first watch) with Marty‘s kids drawing spirals, staging scary scenes with their puppets or drawing a women with flowers on her belly or wearing a crown while playing outside never was never played out as some mystic, supernatural thing but happened at the side, possibly even unnoticed by many. (Also tied in beautifully with Rust‘s comment on how the early demise of his child spared him the sin of becoming a father all the while we see Marty trying to stage a happy home for his children while terrible things happen outside, even the marriage being fake already and those drawings etc just highlighted that those kids can‘t be protected and it‘s a very nihilistic and terrible message that fitted that show and atmosphere perfectly.)

wish they‘d gone full blown horror/camp with this one - but even the portrayal of Annie Ks (also hated hiw those that were meant caring for that woman the most always called her „ Annie K“) killing wasn‘t really terrifying nor was the raid of the mad cleaning ladies on the station griping - it was filmed instead utterly ridiculous.

end of rant
Didn't the supply guy who found the scene notice the tongue?

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that there was no forensic evidence of Clean Team Six storming the compound.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Didn't they say those scientists were killed before they froze to death - as in there were scars/damage to their bodies? But during their "confession" (hypothetical anyway), didn't the ladies admit to letting the men walk away naked into the snow and "let Annie decide if she wants to take them or not"....so....who killed the men if they were dead before being frozen?

Like self-inflicted bite wounds, missing tongues/eyes?

Unless of course I'm just misremembering or those ladies basically "confessed" to everything except outright saying they actually murdered them.

Mike Smalling

Didn't they say those scientists were killed before they froze to death - as in there were scars/damage to their bodies? But during their "confession" (hypothetical anyway), didn't the ladies admit to letting the men walk away naked into the snow and "let Annie decide if she wants to take them or not"....so....who killed the men if they were dead before being frozen?

Like self-inflicted bite wounds, missing tongues/eyes?

Unless of course I'm just misremembering or those ladies basically "confessed" to everything except outright saying they actually murdered them.
I think they said they died before freezing to death, because of the terrified looks on their faces, but that would lead to the same inconsistency as you point out. Either it's bad writing or they imply that the women were lying (or possibly that something supernatural killed them).

hobbers

The idiot writers probably just forgot what they'd written for the first episode and thought the men had all frozen to death in a huddle in the snow.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Thought that was a bullshite "hint" at the mystic forces at work there. Part of me was hoping we'd see that historic skeleton come alive and go to town on this city full of morons.

Didn't the supply guy who found the scene notice the tongue?

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that there was no forensic evidence of Clean Team Six storming the compound.
They should have shown a shot where the cleaing ladies cleaned the whole compound afterwards to the music or "Twist and Shout" or so.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think they said they died before freezing to death, because of the terrified looks on their faces, but that would lead to the same inconsistency as you point out. Either it's bad writing or they imply that the women were lying (or possibly that something supernatural killed them).
Yeah i specifically remember them saying they were dead before they froze (then their bodies had bite marks, missing an eye, tongue etc.) but there was no mention of that - unless it was Annie K :lol:

The idiot writers probably just forgot what they'd written for the first episode and thought the men had all frozen to death in a huddle in the snow.
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me - not with so many things not resolved (the tongue, the spiral etc.).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, it's the same with that "DNA that could save the world". They just didn't mention it to anybody and let it be, right? :lol:

Even assuming it was the root of all evil and saving the world can be interpreted in a lot of ways, not to address that point at all, it's just bad writing. But I've read parts of an interview with the director and am fully convinced she really is just full of herself and the most stupid interpretation of a thing here is most likely the correct one.

Mike Smalling

There was just a lot of very silly stuff going on. Why did the reindeer or caribous or whatever throw themselves off a cliff in the very first episode? Why was the polar bear there? Taqaq? Qavik? The trailer full of weird ritual stuff? The people it actually revolved around weren't really in the show at all. How many naps did Danvers need in that last episode? It was madness.
You're not asking the right questions. Ask again!

Seriously though, I think the caribous mass suicide was foreshadowing about the whole thing about wandering out on the ice to die?

mu4c_20le

Bit like our own story with Ten hag, HBO saw that Issa Lopez was doing some good work in Mexico, particuarly with supernatural horror themes. So they gave her full control for the season. I'd like to say that there were some decent moments here and there, but mostly she just looked out of her depth.

Mike Smalling

Bit like our own story with Ten hag, HBO saw that Issa Lopez was doing some good work in Mexico, particuarly with supernatural horror themes. So they gave her full control for the season. I'd like to say that there were some decent moments here and there, but mostly she just looked out of her depth.
Would you say Kali Reis was her Antony?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
One cleaner goes into the underground lair, finds the screwdriver and then another cleaner looks at the autopsy photos in the police station and they decide that it fits the bill for a murder weapon.

Sit down, Columbo. These girls are putting you in the shade.