Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I really rate this, among my top 3 non-comedy TV shows. I hope it's not tarnished but I really don't think it will be if I'm honest.

People have questioned Vaughn/Farrell but a few years ago people would have asked those kind of questions about McConaughey and look how that turned out. I think Vaughn in particular will gain critical acclaim with this. Farrell is decent and McAdams can use this to move on to bigger and better thing than what she has being doing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah Louisiana really had that distinct feeling to it with the swamps and weirdo bible belt people.
Hasn't lost any cache with me, as Cali is far more foreign personally. Probably in rare company in that regard around here.

Slowly warming to the idea of Vaughn pulling it off. Similar to Woody, whom I still don't think got enough credit for his performance because MM stole the show early on.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nice tune.

Thinking about it, something that could make this amazing is Vince Vaughan. He's been in so many shit movies but I'm convinced he's still got some great performances in him. He's a seriously charismatic screen presence, when he's on his game. Giving him what seems like a Tony Soprano role could turn out to be a stroke of genius.

Berbaclass

I love the "I can smell the psychosphere" and "This is like someones faded memory of a town" lines and especially Woodys reaction to them :lol:

Watching it again after getting excited by the S2 promo

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The best one was just after the 'faded memory of a town', Woody tells him to shut the feck up, they get in the car, Woody asks him about his sleep and Rust answers 'I don't sleep; I dream'. Woody's reaction is priceless! :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Nice tune.

Thinking about it, something that could make this amazing is Vince Vaughan. He's been in so many shit movies but I'm convinced he's still got some great performances in him. He's a seriously charismatic screen presence, when he's on his game. Giving him what seems like a Tony Soprano role could turn out to be a stroke of genius.
The Vaughnaissance begins.

b82REZ

Underwhelmed by the trailer. The first time I saw the trailer for the first season I knew it was going to be special, I just don't get that same feeling with this trailer. It looks a lot more cliched. I hope I'm wrong because I loved the first season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished the third episode. Mathew McConaughey is more nihilistic than Arthur Shopenhauer.

The writing is absolutely brilliant, one of the best I have seen. It is a very heavy show though, I can manage to watch only an episode for day.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Underwhelmed by the trailer. The first time I saw the trailer for the first season I knew it was going to be special, I just don't get that same feeling with this trailer. It looks a lot more cliched. I hope I'm wrong because I loved the first season.
That was because we had no idea of perception of the show. Plus the whole setting is a bit more standard now.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Finished the third episode. Mathew McConaughey is more nihilistic than Arthur Shopenhauer.

The writing is absolutely brilliant, one of the best I have seen. It is a very heavy show though, I can manage to watch only an episode for day.
I envy people who are still to watch the entire show.

The first time through is one of the best television experiences of my life.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just watched episodes 4 and 5.

May I make the blasphemy and say that the writing is even better than in The Wire?

Revan

Assumptionman
Vaughn and Farrell in season 2, what a let down after Harrelson and McConaughey.
He's nothing special. If the writing is as good as in the first season, both those actors can do a better job than him.

Topping McConaughey performance on the other side...that's not really going to happen unless they'll get an actor of that level. Which is almost impossible.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
He's nothing special. If the writing is as good as in the first season, both those actors can do a better job than him.
Rubbish. He had the less showier role than McConnaughey and executed it perfectly.

Revan

Assumptionman
Rubbish. He had the less showier role than McConnaughey and executed it perfectly.
Don't get me wrong, he was brilliant here. Just that before this performance, he was nothing special. Similar how Bryan Cranston wasn't a great actor before Breaking Bad, or Peter Dinklage before Game of Thrones.

For that I am saying that the writing is the most important part. Great writing (and if the role is suited to some degree) makes even average actors like Harrelson look great. For that, I have no doubt that if the writing is as good as in the previous season, Farrell and Vaughn would look as good - if not better - than Harrelson. On the other side, being as good as McCounaughey is difficult considering that he's one of the best actors of his age.

Mali_Zeus

Topping McConaughey performance on the other side...that's not really going to happen unless they'll get an actor of that level. Which is almost impossible.
I think both were great. McCounagehy was slightly better though.
I agree with you about him, I love how he seems to stepped it up in recent years, he was a actor for a stupid comedies just few years ago or it just seems like it. :)

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I wonder who they'll get for season 3. I heard it'll be Seth Rogen and Michael Cera. Who I'm sure will pull it off as long as the writing is good.

Berbaclass

I think both were great. McCounagehy was slightly better though.
I agree with you about him, I love how he seems to stepped it up in recent years, he was a actor for a stupid comedies just few years ago or it just seems like it. :)
Come on :lol:

McConaughey stole the show and thats no slight on Woody.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I wonder who they'll get for season 3. I heard it'll be Seth Rogen and Michael Cera. Who I'm sure will pull it off as long as the writing is good.
:lol:

That would be something indeed!

I'm also sure they could find something groundbreaking for Samuel L. Jackson to play as well.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished it.

Loved the show, though I was expecting a bit more from the finale. Still, a fantastic TV show with some of the best writing I have ever seen.

The theme song is fantastic, hope they don't change it. Listened it a hundred times today.

Berbaclass

Finished it.

Loved the show, though I was expecting a bit more from the finale. Still, a fantastic TV show with some of the best writing I have ever seen.

The theme song is fantastic, hope they don't change it. Listened it a hundred times today.
Yeah the theme is great. Totally fits the show. Probably second to Mad Men IMO. I fecking love the Mad Men theme!

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Just finished this, watched it in about a week. Excellent show. Maconaughy is brilliant in it, such a good character, played really well.
What is this season 2 about? Different characters in a completely different story?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I remember watching this last year, the show was so sick until they fecked it up at the end by rushing the last episode and failing to close everything out.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Just finished this, watched it in about a week. Excellent show. Maconaughy is brilliant in it, such a good character, played really well.
What is this season 2 about? Different characters in a completely different story?
Yes. Different cast in a new setting.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Can't wait for this. I hope they keep up with the eerily creepy vibe... Though I guess that was to do with the setting/location which has obviously changed in this one.