Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

Classical Mechanic

It's been awhile and I've only watched the whole thing once, but I remember Rust was once a religious man who lost faith. So I found the ending to be acceptable if he re-found his faith after finally solving the case and getting severely injured in the process. I'm not religious myself but I do think that if you put your faith and beliefs behind a religion, it sticks with you, perhaps subconsciously, throughout your entire life. That Rust saw the light during his coma didn't seem as far fetched as some critics seem to make it. I was actually more disappointed that the real killer had already been called out on numerous forums by the fourth or fifth episode. I remember laughing it off at the time :annoyed:
I am not saying the arc was implausible. I was just disappointed that the series finished in such a cliched and unimaginative way. I was really expecting something more complex and surprising from the early promise.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Re-watched it over the weekend with Mrs. RiP who hadn't seen it and doesn't believe Alexandra Daddario's tits are real. Loved it as much as the first time, and just like the first time, while I noticed an obvious decrease in quality during the last couple of episodes, it doesn't really tarnish its legacy (for me). The first five episodes are absolutely superb though, absolutely flawless.

I'd also forgotten how good all the additional music is.

Brilliant, brilliant show. Hope they keep it up in the second season, though I fear the worst.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Re-watched it over the weekend with Mrs. RiP who hadn't seen it and doesn't believe Alexandra Daddario's tits are real. Loved it as much as the first time, and just like the first time, while I noticed an obvious decrease in quality during the last couple of episodes, it doesn't really tarnish its legacy (for me). The first five episodes are absolutely superb though, absolutely flawless.

Brilliant, brilliant show. Hope they keep it up in the second season, though I fear the worst.
I love the intro.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I am not saying the arc was implausible. I was just disappointed that the series finished in such a cliched and unimaginative way. I was really expecting something more complex and surprising from the early promise.
You are not the only one. The villain was offensively trite and just completely silly. All the tantalizing conspiracy and symbolism to lead us to that. A missed opportunity.

Thisistheone

Glad to hear you still enjoyed it as much second time round. I've watched it a few times now and it's right up there, for me. Absolutely stunning show.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Writing, writing, writing. I am quite confident that, yes, even Vince Vaughn will be terrific if the writing is again of a high level

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Going to try to go into the new series with no prejudgements based on the first season. Completely new cast of characters, new story line, etc it really is a new series, not a second season. Not sure I will be successful though

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
A bizarre murder brings together three law-enforcement officers and a career criminal, each of whom must navigate a web of conspiracy and betrayal in the scorched landscapes of California. Colin Farrell is Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective in the all-industrial City of Vinci, LA County. Vince Vaughn plays Frank Semyon, a criminal and entrepreneur in danger of losing his life’s work, while his wife and closest ally (Kelly Reilly), struggles with his choices and her own. Rachel McAdams is Ani Bezzerides, a Ventura County Sheriff’s detective often at odds with the system she serves, while Taylor Kitsch plays Paul Woodrugh, a war veteran and motorcycle cop for the California Highway Patrol who discovers a crime scene which triggers an investigation involving three law enforcement groups, multiple criminal collusions, and billions of dollars.
It starts on June 21st.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Colin Farrell's character, from the trailer alone, really reminds me of older Rust in a certain way. Especially with that shot of him in the chair.

Interested to see what Vince Vaughn can do in this considering how used I am to seeing him in stereotypical rom-coms and half arsed comedies.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Looks very stylish once again. As @FCBarca has said, it's all about the writing. Both Farrell and Vaughn are more than capable if the script is right. Fingers crossed.

stu_1992

Can't really say much from that trailer. I still get a buzz from seeing the first signs of season 2, but still have reservations about the cast and it's ability to deliver.

Stringer

It's not the cast I am worried about, it's the creator. A lot of the interesting philosophical stuff was just ripped straight from Ligotti's (who compiled it from famous philosophers) book and he can't go to that well again. Also I found most of the murder investigation aspect pretty cliched so I have a lot of doubts about this new season.

Does anyone know who will be directing the episodes? I know Justin Lin is doing the first couple which again doesn't bode well.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
My only worries about this are Taylor Kitsch(not the most terrible actor but been in a lot of dross lately), Vince Vaughan (who once was a decent screen presence in fairness) and the potential to have a largely unfinished piece like the original series.

But I'll give it another go.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can see this being a shot in the arm for Farrell's career. I wonder if he can deliver the dialogues in stoic poise like McConnaughey did.

Unlikely lad

I love Collin Farrell, he's definitely got the chops for something like this. That 'tache :drool:

Was hoping it would keep the bizarre and creepy feel of the first season, which doesn't seem to be the case just going by the trailer, but who knows...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Almost feel like the next season deserves it's on thread. It's a completely different show.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Just watched the first episode.
It's a really good series. One of my favourite shows ever after The Sopranos and The Wire. I think you should avoid any threads about it though. It could ruin the enjoyment of the series if you accidentally read spoilers (like you did for Kotor and Deus Ex!) and read the discussions people have.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If the writing and directing is good (losing Fukanaga was as big a blow as losing Matty Maccyney IMO) then the casting will be of no concern. I'm fully confident of both Farrell and Vaughn turning in great performances if the circumstances are right. It's in them. McAdams and Kitsch less so, but I'm happy to give them the BOD. They're competent, and more likely to sieze the opportunity than ruin the thing on their own.

The biggest obstacle will be the viewers faith in Pizzolatto leading up to the final ep.

Last edited:

Lynk

If the writing and directing is good (losing Fukanaga was as big a blow as losing Matty Maccyney IMO) then the casting will be of no concern. I'm fully confident of both Farrell and Vaughn turning in great performances if the circumstances are right.
Another loss will be the setting. Louisiana had it's own feel and a lot of peripheral characters like the town's folk helped create it's own unique style. Now it's set in bog standard California.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Another loss will be the setting. Louisiana had it's own feel and a lot of peripheral characters like the town's folk helped create it's own unique style. Now it's set in bog standard California.
Yeah Louisiana really had that distinct feeling to it with the swamps and weirdo bible belt people.

@Mockney Yeah the first season really managed to show the talent of Fukunaga and McCougnaghey so it kind of feels like wishful thinking that the second season can carry on with that sort of quality. The writer of the show also seemed to have taken a lot of the nihilistic interesting stuff from a book so I'm not sure what he's going to do for Season 2.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah, but it's not like the "Dirty South" was an untapped cliche itself. Less so than Cali admittedly. I hope the casting wasn't conditional on the setting. I'd like to think the first series gained enough clout for the actors to want the parts more than the show wanted the actors.

Yeah Louisiana really had that distinct feeling to it with the swamps and weirdo bible belt people.
@Mockney Yeah the first season really managed to show the talent of Fukunaga and McCougnaghey so it kind of feels like wishful thinking that the second season can carry on with that sort of quality. The writer of the show also seemed to have taken a lot of the nihilistic interesting stuff from a book so I'm not sure what he's going to do for Season 2.
The weakest part of the show was the actual detective stuff, so it'll certainly be interesting to see what the thematic focus is in this iteration. He'll either earn his stripes or be found out. Either way, the first ep is must watch TV.

Lynk

Yeah, but it's not like the "Dirty South" was an untapped cliche itself. Less so than Cali admittedly. I hope the casting wasn't conditional on the setting. I'd like to think the first series gained enough clout for the actors to want the parts more than the show wanted the actors.
I thought it was handled well, most of the locals seemed normal and less of the cartoon characters they usual paint in other deep south settings. I really wanted a landscape like Alaska, but I guess Fargo and Fortitude have been there done that.