Turkey

Fener1907

I heard Muharrem Ince and Meral Aksener said some bad things about the Syrian refugees currently residing in Turkey, what did they say?
No idea what you're referring to.

Despite his mother and sister wearing the headscarf, leaflets were passed out in Ankara about how he's going to ban them. Turns out it was just the former idiot mayor of the city up to one of his old stunts.

If they did say something about Syrians, I'd dare say it either isn't true or has been misconstrued. The fact that there is nothing to go on other than "they said some bad things" is a bit odd.

RedTiger

Half mast

Despite his mother and sister wearing the headscarf, leaflets were passed out in Ankara about how he's going to ban them. Turns out it was just the former idiot mayor of the city up to one of his old stunts.

If they did say something about Syrians, I'd dare say it either isn't true or has been misconstrued. The fact that there is nothing to go on other than "they said some bad things" is a bit odd.
Something about there being a spate of dog and cat mutilations which are being blamed on the Syrians, also Meral saying send them back to Assad to sort out.

Fener1907

Something about there being a spate of dog and cat mutilations which are being blamed on the Syrians, also Meral saying send them back to Assad to sort out.
No idea, but Turkish people are very sensitive when it comes to abuse of animals, as can be seen by the outpouring of grief about a puppy that had its legs cut off and left to die.

İnce has said he'll open a dialogue with Assad and intends to send Syrian refugees back, although it isn't intended in a sinister "sort out" way.

Fener1907

Ince stands watch in a previous election recount to prevent dirty AKP intervention. Apparently he was there for days. Stubborn bastard. What a guy.

whoever wins has like dictatorship powers?
Significant powers. Not sure how it will actually play out if we get the worst case scenario and he wins to start utilizing those powers.

Kopral Jono

Gokcek is such a groveller. Erdogan quite literally removed him from his post yet he's still doing stuff like this.

Fener1907

The votes are being counted.

A result leaked from one of RTE's key cities (Konya) shows Ince actually getting within touching distance of him. Obviously need to calm myself down and take it with a pinch of salt, but if that proves to be a trend rather an an exception, he is in big trouble.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The votes are being counted.

A result leaked from one of RTE's key cities (Konya) shows Ince actually getting within touching distance of him. Obviously need to calm myself down and take it with a pinch of salt, but if that proves to be a trend rather an an exception, he is in big trouble.
Interesting, Konya is about the most religious city in Turkey.

Fener1907

Interesting, Konya is about the most religious city in Turkey.
I heard Saadet Partisi was holding rallies there (the region) and there was enthusiastic support for them. That's also bad for them.

Worth keeping in mind that the early "official" reports will be incredibly flattering to RTE, as he's looking for it to narrow but hold on.

Fener1907

Within an hour of the polls closing, the opposition’s presidential candidate, Muharrem Ince, says he has started getting early unofficial results – and he’s not unhappy. “I’m smiling,” he said, according to the T24 news site
My heart can't take this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Always happens in dictatorships. State media make it seem like a close run thing but the result is fixed.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
the latest tweets from Ince sound a lot like shenanigans are going on, if google-translate is accurate. He seems to say, that the messages of this "news-agency" are made up, while the majority of votes is not even counted yet.

Fener1907

the latest tweets from Ince sound a lot like shenanigans are going on, if google-translate is accurate. He seems to say, that the messages of this "news-agency" are made up, while the majority of votes is not even counted yet.
It's the Anadolu Agency reporting rural votes and giving a false number of votes counted. The truth is, metropolitan areas haven't yet weighed in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the real test is going to be confronting them on the blatant corruption. A stand needs to be made today.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Made a post about him on the previous page. One part of it briefly covers some of his planned policies. If you're asking for a straightforward answer about what he stands for, social democratic values.

I love how people pronounce his name incorrectly and it actually sounds like that.
What is the correct pronunciation? Erdohan right? Like Louis van Haal.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, the second round is not even needed. Erdoğan gets an another mandate.

gica_7

I heard Muharrem Ince and Meral Aksener said some bad things about the Syrian refugees currently residing in Turkey, what did they say?
Ince said that in religious holidays an incredible amount of Syrians go to their countries and when the holiday finishes they come back. He said Turkey is paying beyond its capabilities for refugees and he said Syrians who are able to go back, they should go back. Meral, is a nationalist so nothing significant in her saying that. But Ince's words were by no means racial or radical.

I am incredibly down by the results of the elections. As opposed to the general view, there were most probably no voting fraud. A huge number of volunteer people went to inspect the counting of the votes. I was expecting Erdogan to win but I was at least expecting a second round. It didn't happen.

Yet, as much as I feel down, Erdogan's party lost votes. Erdogan couldn't have won without the support of Nationalist party. Turkey might not be a democracy like Britain but it is not an African dictatorship. Erdogan may want to be one, but he can not. This is the last election that he won. Turkey can not be ruled in a way that Erdogan likes. Our institutions has been damaged and this will be inherited for years to come. But sooner or later, it will balance out.

Today I feel down because I had high hopes about yesterday. We will move on. People learned to be hopeful again. We lost, but there are still reasons to be hopeful.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Couple of post-election takes:

Turkey’s Elections: Partially Free, Fair, and Fake

Turkey election: Erdogan wins, the opposition crashes – but don’t write off the HDP

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I have a question to Turks and anyone that knows Turkish politics.

Is there a “middle ground” politician or a middle ground support group? It seems there is either fully extreme erdogan or guys that drink beer during Ramadan. Does turkey have any moderate normal Muslims in the running?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Erdogan brought this on himself when he started intefering with the central bank.