Turkey

Fener1907

I thought that it could be due to an imminent terrorist threat, but that wouldn't explain why the military was disarming the police at certain locations, or why the jets are flying low over Ankara.

prateik

I thought that it could be due to an imminent terrorist threat, but that wouldn't explain why the military was disarming the police at certain locations, or why the jets are flying low over Ankara.
Didn't know that..
Read some tweet that was speculating that the jets could be flying low to shoot down a plane that might have been hijacked...
No clue..

Fener1907

Didn't know that..
Read some tweet that was speculating that the jets could be flying low to shoot down a plane that might have been hijacked...
No clue..
Apparently it happened at the Presidential Palace, which is protected by the police. For anybody who doesn't know, the police are firmly under the president's control. Still don't know much, as I'm just relying on Twitter right now.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Military interference in politics is somewhat popular in Turkey, no? Usually has a secular motive, too, if I remember the 90s correctly.

NinjaFletch

Military interference in politics is somewhat popular in Turkey, no? Usually has a secular motive, too, if I remember the 90s correctly.
IIRC, their military is constitutionally obliged to defend the secular nature of the Turkish state and the Ataturk reforms.

Given Erdogan's attempts to roll that back, a military coup against Erdogan is hardly a surprise.

Fingers crossed.

Fener1907

Yeah, the military isn't averse to stepping in and removing dictators. In my opinion, this one is long overdue. Like the article I've just been reading has stated, they're obviously concerned that RTE is taking Turkey to the precipice. Considering his recent statement about giving all Syrian refugees Turkish citizenship, it's not hard to see why they're getting that impression.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, the military isn't averse to stepping in and removing dictators. In my opinion, this one is long overdue. Like the article I've just been reading has stated, they're obviously concerned that RTE is taking Turkey to the precipice. Considering his recent statement about giving all Syrian refugees Turkish citizenship, it's not hard to see why they're getting that impression.
From what I've read recently, I fully agree with you.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Very dangerous times. Presumably Erdogan has prepared for this possibility in some way. He still has mass support.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not totally comfortable with the military having that power, but if they are disciplined enough to organize elections ASAP then I agree with you.

Fener1907

IIRC, their military is constitutionally obliged to defend the secular nature of the Turkish state and the Ataturk reforms.

Given Erdogan's attempts to roll that back, a military coup against Erdogan is hardly a surprise.

Fingers crossed.
Which is why Erdoğan emasculated it prior to his increasingly bold stance on Islam in Turkey. Only in recent years has the military regained its strength, enabled, ironically, by Erdoğan's wish to intervene in Syria and increase his own standing in the region. Fortunately, the military didn't turn out to be his dog, particularly not after he gutted the Gülen movement that had helped him take control of it.

Gunfire is being heard in the cities. Seems that the police - RTE's goons - are hitting back. This is not a drill...

I'm not totally comfortable with the military having that power, but if they are disciplined enough to organize elections ASAP then I agree with you.
I'm far more appalled at the idea of Erdoğan having absolute power. Turkey would never be the same again.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Fingers crossed.
Ah, just saw this. Excellent news. As you were.

kotha

feck.. So any other sources other than twitter to follow this? I don't have twitter account..

Fener1907

prateik

Well..If its happening, lets hope its peaceful and doesnt get too violent

Fener1907

Well..If its happening, lets hope its peaceful and doesnt get too violent
Erdoğan would rather see Turkey burn than go quietly. He's a dictator in waiting, and that's all he's ever really been. He's going to keep pushing to reform the constitution of Turkey by becoming the supreme power and depart from everything that Atatürk wanted Turkey to be. It's going to be ugly.

2cents

Scout
Now on Sky News

2cents

Scout
Prime Minister confirming military acting without authorization, but denies it is a 'coup'.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Which is why Erdoğan emasculated it prior to his increasingly bold stance on Islam in Turkey. Only in recent years has the military regained its strength, enabled, ironically, by Erdoğan's wish to intervene in Syria and increase his own standing in the region. Fortunately, the military didn't turn out to be his dog, particularly not after he gutted the Gülen movement that had helped him take control of it.

Gunfire is being heard in the cities. Seems that the police - RTE's goons - are hitting back. This is not a drill...

I'm far more appalled at the idea of Erdoğan having absolute power. Turkey would never be the same again.
Can't help but think this is anything other than a coup attempt.

2cents

Scout

Tiber

Please tell me that the rumours are false and that the turkish army is not seriously overthrowing the ****ing governent the one week my fiancéei is on holiday in ****ing Turkey.

If they must have a civil war they can bloody well have it next week.

2cents

Scout
Just read a report that Erdogan hasn't been seen in a week.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Please tell me that the rumours are false and that the turkish army is not seriously overthrowing the ****ing governent the one week my fiancéei is on holiday in ****ing Turkey.

If they must have a civil war they can bloody well have it next week.
It's the Turkish army, there will be no Civil War. If it can reassure you.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Would a millitary coup in Turkey be the worst thing? Erdogan is clearly taking them away from their secular inheritance after Attatürk, and I fear that if that clown is left in power for much longer he will be able to piss away all that has seperated Turkey from less succesfull muslim countries. He clearly has an islamistic agenda, and all the makings of a totalitarian leader.

2cents

Scout
Imagine if Assad outlasts Erdogan!