Turn the Caf Green and Gold

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A boycott would be fantastic.

We know for a fact this is not possible at Utd.

Lads in their armchairs love to talk about what we should be doing.
Hate to say it but lads in their armchairs are as powerful as match going fans. The glazers make more ETHs enough money from online sales

until the fans come together as one group and stop this “I’m a bigger red than you” nonsense, you’ll achieve the sum of feck all.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
So tell me this basic thing: why isn't SAF backing the protests? Why is he sitting on the board and advising this "parasites"? He can walk away at any time with his legacy intact. He has all the money in the world. So why didn't SAF ever speak up once against the Glazers?

Maybe the problem is more complex than just "parasitic" owners?

And say we get them out: why does everyone think that the new owner won't be worse? We say what the Venky's did to Blackburn, we saw how the Arsenal board turned them from title contenders to nobodies. Why do you think the new owners will be different?
Ant and Dec could own us for all I care mate.

Do I really need to explain the issue with the Glazers. Its old ground, well established. Leveraged with debt, yearly dividends. No interest in the city or fanbase. I could harp on.

Fergie is complicit, sadly. The only blot on his glorious legacy. Let us down in 2005. His genius kept us up there.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Hate to say it but lads in their armchairs are as powerful as match going fans. The glazers make more ETHs enough money from online sales

until the fans come together as one group and stop this “I’m a bigger red than you” nonsense, you’ll achieve the sum of feck all.
The only group we need to get together as one are the lads and lasses that go or can facilitate protest in the area.

Wider support is ofcourse preffered and very welcome but in comparison irrelevant.

stw2022

The whole issue gets confused because some people want to hijack everything by seeking to validate their dissatisfaction at the takeover. It’s getting on for 20 years ago. You couldn’t see the horse that bolted from that stable with the Hubble fecking telescope.

Protests need to be focused and with an achievable purpose not co-opted by people who think nigh on two decades of the same argument isn’t enough

Every single legitimate issue gets hijacked by those trying to flog left over green and gold merchandise they’ve got left in the garage. The take over happened, you weren’t happy but feck me can we at least accept a colourful scarf isn’t reversing it and focus on an issue relevant to 2022?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The only group we need to get together as one are the lads and lasses that go or can facilitate protest in the area.

Wider support is ofcourse preffered and very welcome but in comparison irrelevant.
How is it irrelevant? You don’t think that much can be done by armchair fans on social media or by stopping buying online merch from official stores? It’s a modern world we live in, they can damage glazers just as much as a few thousand fans protesting at OT.
As I said, division amongst fans achieves feck all

Caesar2290

Ant and Dec could own us for all I care mate.

Do I really need to explain the issue with the Glazers. Its old ground, well established. Leveraged with debt, yearly dividends. No interest in the city or fanbase. I could harp on.

Fergie is complicit, sadly. The only blot on his glorious legacy. Let us down in 2005. His genius kept us up there.
Welcome to modern day football. And unless you want some Qatari or Saudi owners with questionable human rights violations, we are not getting out of debt.

And why bring up the dividents? The pre-glazer PLC took way more dividents related to income than the glazers did. Where was the uproar with that?

As for a new ground: well, looking at what happened to Arsenal and Spurs and how they've never recovered financially, what is the point?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
So tell me this basic thing: why isn't SAF backing the protests? Why is he sitting on the board and advising this "parasites"? He can walk away at any time with his legacy intact. He has all the money in the world. So why didn't SAF ever speak up once against the Glazers?

Maybe the problem is more complex than just "parasitic" owners?

And say we get them out: why does everyone think that the new owner won't be worse? We say what the Venky's did to Blackburn, we saw how the Arsenal board turned them from title contenders to nobodies. Why do you think the new owners will be different?
we only allow ourselves to be taken over by someone who needs to sportswash themselves. that way they won’t be in a position to bring negative news their way.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Welcome to modern day football. And unless you want some Qatari or Saudi owners with questionable human rights violations, we are not getting out of debt.

And why bring up the dividents? The pre-glazer PLC took way more dividents related to income than the glazers did. Where was the uproar with that?

As for a new ground: well, looking at what happened to Arsenal and Spurs and how they've never recovered financially, what is the point?
It was a phrase mate, not talking about an actual new ground.

Caesar2290

we only allow ourselves to be taken over by someone who needs to sportswash themselves. that way they won’t be in a position to bring negative news their way.
We the fans? Did the protests in 2005 stop the Glazers? Money talks sadly. If someone pays up, there is nothing we can do. Hence my point: be careful what you wish for. Sometimes things can go from bad to way way worse.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Matchday Revenue went from 41% of our total in 2009 to 18% in 2019.

You are totally right to say the schisms are only counterproductive.

If the regular matchday fans had real clout they wouldn't be dicked about the way they are by the club.

stw2022

It’s the same as when Fergie would rail against the restrictions of the PLC. Because he was just a puppet who did what he was told….or something

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
How is it irrelevant? You don’t think that much can be done by armchair fans on social media or by stopping buying online merch from official stores? It’s a modern world we live in, they can damage glazers just as much as a few thousand fans protesting at OT.
As I said, division amongst fans achieves feck all
I think it's irrelevant to a degree yeah. I hear you, but the thing that will hurt them most is damage to finances or brand. Matchgoers are best positioned to do both, and the most likely to mobilise (as we have repeatedly seen).

Unfortunately we didn't manage the big one as a fanbase (full boycott), so I'm happy to support all the alternatives.

Division among fans is shit but unavoidable with a fanbase this big. It does hold us back but I'm very proud of the consistent hostility shown to the ownership since 2005. I'd like more...but still.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Matchday Revenue went from 41% of our total in 2009 to 18% in 2019.

You are totally right to say the schisms are only counterproductive.

If the regular matchday fans had real clout they wouldn't be dicked about the way they are by the club.
Getting the Liverpool game called off was a worldwide reputational embarrassment for the ownership. Stick your percentages up your arse.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Getting the Liverpool game called off was a worldwide reputational embarrassment for the ownership. Stick your percentages up your arse.
It was a great day out no doubt. How many times you reckon you'd get away with that? Like is it a practical way to get change or just good craic for the massive?

If you don't engage with facts you might overlook something and spunk any good from days like getting the pool game cancelled. That's if you have an end goal or just enjoy the posturing. It's a part of lots of protest groups and really hamstrings them. Some lads just love the buzz and the feeling of being in some sort of club. It would explain your hurry to insult the wider fan base.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It was a great day out no doubt. How many times you reckon you'd get away with that? Like is it a practical way to get change or just good craic for the massive?

If you don't engage with facts you might overlook something and spunk any good from days like getting the pool game cancelled. That's if you have an end goal or just enjoy the posturing. It's a part of lots of protest groups and really hamstrings them. Some lads just love the buzz and the feeling of being in some sort of club. It would explain your hurry to insult the wider fan base.
Don't mistake my blunt words for a lack of interest in the wider fanbase. I'm just arguing some facets are more crucial than others in this fight.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We the fans? Did the protests in 2005 stop the Glazers? Money talks sadly. If someone pays up, there is nothing we can do. Hence my point: be careful what you wish for. Sometimes things can go from bad to way way worse.
Yeah, at the time other clubs laughed at us, but slowly the all followed and some wih worse feckers.

Not only do I think this is an issue for all united fans to engage in, I think its an issue all football fans should engage in. Its basically the whole league that's got fecked up ownership.

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
As a Blackpool fan, and clearly Blackpool have a very recent example of successfully ousting the very worst of owners through a fan boycott, I dont think a similar fan powered movement could move your dreadful owners out.

Even when it was abundantly clear that the Oystons were removing 10s of millions from the club, a large portion of Blackpools support still would not protest. It actually took that the owners took the step of sueing their own supporters for the vast majority of the fanbase to say enough was enough and boycott all revenue streams.

Even given the circumstances of the club sueing its own fans there was still around 1000 fans who would attend games. About 8% of the match going crowd remained. It would be even more difficult when a large proportion of the match going fans are not from the local community.

The boycott lasted four years was incredibly successful affected every revenue stream and still was not enough to remove the owners by itself, the coup de grace coming when Oyston was sued by a minority shareholder.

For United this kind of action isn't feasible, the income is too large, the fanbase is too big, the revenue streams are too varied.

I would suggest the successful approach for a united fanbase is to target the public image and therefore the brand, its probably the only point of vulnerability that fans could exploit and the owners even notice.

Its also important to note that Blackpool had the support of the vast majority of supporters from other clubs supporting their cause. United would be unlikely to get a similar broad base from the football community, the glazers dont seem malicious rather than incompetent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

soapythecat

Seems pointless to me. Sorry if that offends some, but at this time I don’t view the Glazer's as the biggest problem. The club is currently in the process of trying to turn it around and I think that process needs to happen and given time to make a difference - let’s judge them on that.
My protest, if I was in a position to make one, would 100% directed towards the players. Players who have downed tools season after season, complained, moaned, bitched and come across as the most dislikable set of United players I can remember (and I’m 47). Players playing the club for bigger contracts elsewhere whilst putting in zero effort, players who just won’t put their body on the line for the club will turn out internationally, players who just jog around the park and look like they just don’t care…..lads, the list goes on.
There are many things wrong with the club at the movement and the Glazers are definitely one of them, but protests such as this won’t make a difference. Telling the players exactly how most, sensible United fans feel about them would have a much better chance of making a difference.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just because its unavoidable doesn't mean you have to embrace it quite as wholeheartedly as you do.
I'll call out people on the Internet if I think they're talking bollocks. Never festered fan division in the real world in all my life, infact actively the opposite.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'll call out people on the Internet if I think they're talking bollocks. Never festered fan division in the real world in all my life, infact actively the opposite.
That's a full time job!

I believe you re: not festering division in the outside , but some of us Internet people love the game and the club, well what it was moreso. And as GB says, we have a loud voice which could be powerful if we ever stopped arguing over wether Ronaldo or Messi is better.

The Dane

Could someone please tell me what series of events, starting with the demonstration on Saturday, that could lead us back to glory.
If it involves being taken over by some billionaire who is willing to challenge every FFP rule there is to get us there, then please don’t bother.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s time. We need to do all we can to get proper prolonged protest. Signing Arnatuvic and Rabiot is absolutely pathetic - not much lower we can sink.

Yakuza_devils

10 years of mismanagement. Took out more than 1.5 bil of the club money. We are in a shamble and a biggest joke in football world but they happily take dividends every year without a care in the world. Lies and more lies. Incompetent people in the most important positions at the club.

It's time for them to sell and the fans need to make it clear.

BuzzKillington

The only thing that bothers me about this sentiment is it disappears when things are going ok on the pitch.

This protest should be in full motion, always, not just when we are getting dicked by shite like Brighton or signing dreck like Arnautovic. The caf should be green and gold until those gormless, inbred, comb-over sporting, chinless cnuts are back managing their failing shopping malls and their American Egg Chasing franchise.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Whenever click threads that have start dates from a long time ago, you are always the one to bump it. Your memory is impressive.
It’s just the least we can do from an online community point of view. We need to do our bit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Avi Glazer was on hand yesterday - shame there wasn’t more protesting inside the stadium. Everything needs to be done to drive them out.