Television Twin Peaks

Ainu

Just seen it, not sure what to think yet. I get the feeling it's darker than the original series. Totally weird in any case. Most of all, it just makes me curious to see more. And especially more of the old cast. It was less of a nostalgia trip than I expected, but I think we'll get that in the next episodes.

Amir

Just seen it, not sure what to think yet. I get the feeling it's darker than the original series. Totally weird in any case. Most of all, it just makes me curious to see more. And especially more of the old cast. It was less of a nostalgia trip than I expected, but I think we'll get that in the next episodes.
Agreed. It had a different vibe and none of the light moments that Twin Peaks had right from its pilot. Also focused a lot on new characters, while seemingly trying to sort of appease the public by showing some of the old ones. But as you said, it's just the start. I guess there was also an element of trying to bring in new viewers.

Parry Gallister

Seen episodes 3 and 4 now, up on the usual places. 3 was the best of a bad bunch but it's been horrible, and not in a good way - they've gone
full rainman (you'll see what I mean when you see it - last half of three and most of 4), unbelievable dropping of the ball, it was like watching a fecked up mr Bean film - bad-weird and stilted.

Much too much like Inland Empire etc, really hoped Frost would reign that in a bit, but nope, Lynch's thing still seems to be his late '90s starkness, silence and industrial hisses rather than the soft focus dreaminess and horror he was pedalling around blue velvet/twin peaks, there's even a near total lack of music too. The use of the old characters has been shite - don't really seem involved at all, may as well have just made it a new thing. Michael Cena is a twat.
Gutted, really wanted to like it and been waiting for ages. feck everything.

Personal meltdown aside - this article sums it up a lot better than me though dances around saying it's been shite so far - has spoilers so don't read unless you've seen all four https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/22/15676714/twin-peaks-season-premiere-recap-roundtable

Last edited:

Roosney

^ I think you should spoiler some of that @Parry Gallister

Ok, now I've seen eps 1 & 2.

Just what I expected it to be, very confusing but interesting still. I just hope Lynch and Frost somehow manage to tie things and not just splatter some weird stuff around.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
^ I think you should spoiler some of that @Parry Gallister

Ok, now I've seen eps 1 & 2.

Just what I expected it to be, very confusing but interesting still. I just hope Lynch and Frost somehow manage to tie things and not just splatter some weird stuff around.
Tree and glass box portal had almost funny X-Files vibe to it, but tbh never got enough of that kind of confusing weirdness. It was quite rewarding at the end.

Can't say if I'll react the same after watching it 2nd time but so far it's fascinating enough to continue with further episodes.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Will save up the entire season, or atleast like 10 episodes, for a huge binge.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Seen episodes 3 and 4 now, up on the usual places. 3 was the best of a bad bunch but it's been horrible, and not in a good way - they've gone full rainman (you'll see what I mean when you see it - last half of three and most of 4), unbelievable dropping of the ball, it was like watching a fecked up mr Bean film - bad-weird and stilted.

Much too much like Inland Empire etc, really hoped Frost would reign that in a bit, but nope, Lynch's thing still seems to be his late '90s starkness, silence and industrial hisses rather than the soft focus dreaminess and horror he was pedalling around blue velvet/twin peaks, there's even a near total lack of music too. The use of the old characters has been shite - don't really seem involved at all, may as well have just made it a new thing. Michael Cena is a twat. Gutted, really wanted to like it and been waiting for ages. feck everything.

Personal meltdown aside - this article sums it up a lot better than me though dances around saying it's been shite so far - has spoilers so don't read unless you've seen all four https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/22/15676714/twin-peaks-season-premiere-recap-roundtable
That neverending Laura Palmer theme during classic seasons got old pretty quick tbh. Fully agreed on Inland Empire and maybe few other of his older productions.

:lol: @ Mr. Bean part. See, that's the problem when you return to the franchise after more than 20 years and every member of your cast looks like Harrison Ford after multiple plane crashes. It's affecting more and more every cult production revisited. Shitting my pants before Blader Runner II if you ask me and I feel Twin Peaks may look quite well in comparison to other so called returns.

Amir

I don't know what's in store but I really hope

Cooper becomes Cooper again soon, rather than this becoming an 18-episode arc until he finally recovers in the last one. The way the character is, is a major part of what makes Twin Peaks great.

LonelyFire

I don't know what's in store but I really hope

Cooper becomes Cooper again soon, rather than this becoming an 18-episode arc until he finally recovers in the last one. The way the character is, is a major part of what makes Twin Peaks great.
Understand that but given the narrative is he's been there for 25 years, i think they'd be hard pushed to explain an exit in a matter of a few episodes.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I love Lynch, so I'm amazed that a guy who struggles to get funding for a 2 hour film has managed to get 18 hours of madness sanctioned because it's called Twin Peaks. Let's be honest, it barely resembles that series in any respect. It's one of the darkest, most abstract things I've seen on TV. Pure Lynch. Which is good.

Keenst

Watched the first 4 and I've loved it. It's insane and I love that something like this could even get made at all.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Way more insane than I imagined. Inland Empire insane. This is Lynch at his "best", whatever that is.

I like it.

evil_geko

Brilliant first four episodes, exceeded my expectations. I could see how some of the original Twin Peaks fan would not like this, it really isn't for everyone, but as a Lynch fan, I am loving it.
You can see that he was allowed all the freedom he wanted to do this. This is his "revenge" for being rejected the Mulholland Drive series! :D

Sweet Square

Just watched the first two episodes of the new series, thought it was brilliant.

Last edited:

LonelyFire

Its bonkers....well, for those not well versed on David Lynch.

I love it - right balance of nostalgia and intrigue so far.

Sweet Square

Going on a bit of a Lynch binge and my god the movie Fire Walk With Me is both completely terrifying and disturbing. Also Sheryl Lee(Laura)performance is incredible.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm really enjoying it thus far.

Amir

Just saw episode 5. Very good. I'm also getting more and more of the old Twin Peaks vibe, which I love.

The only thing - and I've said it before - is that I hope
We don't get too many episodes of good Cooper being an empty, silly, shell. We've had three of those, we get it, move it along

Parry Gallister

Just saw episode 5. Very good. I'm also getting more and more of the old Twin Peaks vibe, which I love.

The only thing - and I've said it before - is that I hope
We don't get too many episodes of good Cooper being an empty, silly, shell. We've had three of those, we get it, move it along
About to say similar. Wasn't at all keen on 3 and 4, meltdown level unhappy with it, but this was better, besides what you mentioned. Still hope it kicks up some gears and changes tone.

Green_Red

Based on this thread I decided to start watching it with the missus. She loves it and I think it's a pile of shite. Can't wait to get to the end of season 2. I'm not even telling her there's a new reboot available, feck that!

jungledrums

Based on this thread I decided to start watching it with the missus. She loves it and I think it's a pile of shite. Can't wait to get to the end of season 2. I'm not even telling her there's a new reboot available, feck that!
Also recently started watching, only seen Ep 1 (season 1) but it was quite intriguing! From what I've heard, the show certainly isn't for everyone.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Me too, there was the odd good episode, for the most part i found it soft whereas the reboot is grittier, the worst part of the show was the 2 idiots in the police department, also i know now where Ben stiller got his pose for Zoolander its all the biker fella does in the 2 series was throw a pout whenever he shuts up.

Keenst

Only with Twin Peaks would you go from basically slapstick comedy to a scene as intense as the one in the bar towards the end of that latest episode.
"I'm gonna laugh when I feck you bitch!"

Green_Red

Me too, there was the odd good episode, for the most part i found it soft whereas the reboot is grittier, the worst part of the show was the 2 idiots in the police department, also i know now where Ben stiller got his pose for Zoolander its all the biker fella does in the 2 series was throw a pout whenever he shuts up.
:lol: Yes I'm seeing it.

It's the weirdest thing I've ever watched. There must have been very little to watch on TV in 1990. My family used to watch it but I'd have been sent to bed. Think we only had 4 channels in those days. Explains a lot

LonelyFire

Certainly not for everyone but there is a lot to appreciate in it.

Just to be clear, the current season is not a reboot. It's a continuation

Roosney

Just watched episode 6 and
it was a very distressing one.
Too bad Cooper didn't wake up yet.
Horrific scenes in this ep.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
:lol: Yes I'm seeing it.

It's the weirdest thing I've ever watched. There must have been very little to watch on TV in 1990. My family used to watch it but I'd have been sent to bed. Think we only had 4 channels in those days. Explains a lot
It's got nothing on the new season. It's so fecking weird.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
6 episodes watched and I'm a bit disappointed so far. It's very slow and the scenes are dragged out. Very little actually happens and the new characters are forgettable.

It's rescued by Lynchs camera work.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
6 episodes watched and I'm a bit disappointed so far. It's very slow and the scenes are dragged out. Very little actually happens and the new characters are forgettable.

It's rescued by Lynchs camera work.
Finding the Dougie stuff pretty tedious but I'm actually quite into the rest. I'm intrigued to see how it all connects. If it all connects.

Jaap

This is just extremely strange & weird to watch. Has its moments though; still has some baffling scenes/moments in it.