Twitter Discussion Poll: Blacklist tweets from BS accounts or not?

Do you think tweets from bullshit twitter accounts such as indykaila should be blacklisted?

• Total voters

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Ban tweets from total bullshit twitter accounts or not? Posting them is a waste of everyone's time.

Can move debate over here as it's just clogging up the other thread.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ban them IMO. The thread gets clogged up with enough stuff at it is, without having to sift through numerous shite tweets.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Or not. Well, all the 'Agent x' guys can feck off, but an actual journalist should not be censored.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Definitely. 100% behind this.

The threads should be for genuine tweets from credible people which can then lead to interesting discussion about the tweet rather than the credibility of the source.

Tarrou

Of course they should. Total waste of time. Why would you want to discuss something some attention seeking feck-wit has made-up? If it means that much to you follow the daft cnuts yourself.

Devil may care

How do we decide who is credible these days? In truth I find it impossible to trust most of what is posted about transfers no matter who is behind the story.

Glanville95

Definitely ban those tweets and 'sources', yes. It can be infuriating and incredibly underwhelming if you go to check the latest news (tweets) if you've been away from a computer for a day, to merely see that kind of shite blighting the Twitter thread. Even if you don't expect imminent signings - I don't - you still don't want to be subjected to meaningless stories from the likes of Indykaila and Ben Fairthorne that have no relevance to what the club actually intend to do.

Last edited:

Sherzad

Anyone mess about with posting bogus tweet should be thread baned.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ban them IMO. The thread gets clogged up with enough stuff at it is, without having to sift through numerous shite tweets.
How do you even qualify a 'shite tweet', and frankly, who are you, or any of us to even do so?

Some people think they should dismiss stuff on the basis that it doesn't make sense in their heads, like 'bs, they would never sell', or 'we don't need him' etc.

I would imagine the initial response to rumours of our interest in Cavani would have been 'crap', now, not so much. We have very little clue (that's generous even). If tomorrow we woke up to reports from everywhere that we were going after Jack Rodwell, then that is probably what it is. It doesn't have to make sense to us to be true.

I think if an actual journo posts it, it should be posted, purely on the basis that we are in no position to declare they have fabricated it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
@Rozay :lol:

Why would you want to read lies?
Tbf if I wanted to read just 'facts' I would only follow Howard Nurse. And it is just a bit of discussion. We can be sceptical, but I think trying to make some sort of decision on what rumour is true and what isn't would be pointless from my desk in East London.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I agree to this butttttt can we allow for actual journos tweets as well without them being classified as all bullshit.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
There is a slight difference between accounts like Indykaila and Tancredi though. Tancredi works in the football journalism world. Indykaila sits at home and has no links to football.
Exactly.

Damien

Staff
Definitely ban those tweets and 'sources', yes. It can be infuriating and incredibly underwhelming if you go to check the latest news (tweets) if you've been away from a computer for a day, to merely see that kind of shite blighting the Twitter thread. Even if you don't expect imminent signings - I don't - you still don't want to meaningless stories from the likes of Indykaila and Ben Fairthorne that have no relevance to what the club actually intend to do.
Exactly.

"Wow, there've been 3 pages since I last viewed this thread"

*read through thread*

"Oh, it's one tweet by Fairthorne and three pages of discussing the legitimacy of it and moaning at the lack of signings by United"
I think if an actual journo posts it, it should be posted, purely on the basis that we are in no position to declare they have fabricated it.
Or not. Well, all the 'Agent x' guys can feck off, but an actual journalist should not be censored.
Of the six listed on the blacklist in the other thread, only one is a journalist and only reason he is on there is because of his past. He's done countless tweets about various transfers and it's mostly nonsense and quite a few said to ban him. I agree with you completely that if a journo posts something, it should be posted. Fairthorne, MardiAgent, LawTop20 are utter nonsense footballwise and that is what the blacklist is for.

forevrared

At some point you may as well make a list of Tweeters who are allowed. Ducker, Ogden, Taylor, Mathieson and anyone associated with United and that's it? Anyone else ends up being a two page discussion on whether or not they are valid sources and what they say goes by the wayside.

Gladiator

How do you even qualify a 'shite tweet', and frankly, who are you, or any of us to even do so?

Some people think they should dismiss stuff on the basis that it doesn't make sense in their heads, like 'bs, they would never sell', or 'we don't need him' etc.

I would imagine the initial response to rumours of our interest in Cavani would have been 'crap', now, not so much. We have very little clue (that's generous even). If tomorrow we woke up to reports from everywhere that we were going after Jack Rodwell, then that is probably what it is. It doesn't have to make sense to us to be true.

That's a fair point but that's completely different than some "MUFC-ITK" account which we should by now is absolute bull.

Tarrou

It's not that difficult to figure out over time, as we have done with Tancredi. He just plucks rumours out of his arse.

Glanville95

At some point you may as well make a list of Tweeters who are allowed. Ducker, Ogden, Taylor, Mathieson and anyone associated with United and that's it? Anyone else ends up being a two page discussion on whether or not they are valid sources and what they say goes by the wayside.
Has to be in moderation somewhat. The difference is that Indy and Fairthorne have literally no credence whatsoever, whereas journos who receive a lot of flack like Tancredi do have some insight and credible sources, as he has called some transfers correctly.

Infra-red

Certainly any tweet by anyone with 'agent', 'itk', 'insider' etc in their name can be said with absolutely certainly to be fabricated nonsense.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not that difficult to figure out over time, as we have done with Tancredi. He just plucks rumours out of his arse.
It's odd that his employers haven't sussed him then. He's in Brazil right now, probably on someone else's dime, to cover football. He's an actual journo. Most of the time he is just quoting Sky Italy anyway, but otherwise, whatever his sources, I strongly doubt he just invents his stories.

I think most reported deals do not come off for one reason or another, but I think it is a complex world and not always the journalist fault. More a case of shooting the messenger.

Of course we should apply discernment, and decide for yourselves, but I think censorship is far. Only the pretenders like indykalia deserve that I think.

Damien

Staff
Has to be in moderation somewhat. The difference is that Indy and Fairthorne have literally no credence whatsoever, whereas journos who receive a lot of flack like Tancredi do have some insight and credible sources, as he has called some transfers correctly.
Yep, just things like the Fabregas stuff earlier which shortly after was dismissed as rubbish by those a bit more likely to be privy. Just use common sense before posting something. Why would Tancredi of all people be the first to know? It'd surely have been first reported by someone in the Spanish or English media. I'm not saying he should be totally ignored, exactly, as with Italian football, at least, he's worth listening to.

Gladiator

It's odd that his employers haven't sussed him then. He's in Brazil right now, probably on someone else's dime, to cover football. He's an actual journo. Most of the time he is just quoting Sky Italy anyway, but otherwise, whatever his sources, I strongly doubt he just invents his stories.

I think most reported deals do not come off for one reason or another, but I think it is a complex world and not always the journalist fault. More a case of shooting the messenger.

Of course we should apply discernment, and decide for yourselves, but I think censorship is far. Only the pretenders like indykalia deserve that I think.
agreed. deals change and fluctuate a lot. journalists just mainly report on the info they're given. so even if a deal didn't go in the direction implied by their reports, it doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. were the journalists who said willian to tottenham all unreliable now just because Chelsea gazumped the deal at the last minute? Who can predict that?

Infra-red

I'm sorry but anyone who ends a tweet revealing supposed transfer news with "BOOM" is an utter clown.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Twitter and transfer rumours are just a bad match. Anything worthy will be reported on a proper site 15 minutes later max.
People link each and every little update here (as vague or pointless as they may be), and then get annoyed when the transfer doesn't come to pass.

You can really sum the transfer window up in a few short lines:

We're looking at tons of players, and tons of options (kroos, Muller, Konoplyanka, Sanchez, Pedro, Fabregas, Clasie, Mangala, Garay......the list goes on) when there's a proper update (such as Shaw telling Southampton he wants out, as was reported this morning) it'll be on the BBC front page.

People take the tweets too seriously. Half the time it's them stating what the next guy told them. After all, they're not involved in the transfer any more than we are.

Reactions: Damien

Gladiator

Yep, just things like the Fabregas stuff earlier which shortly after was dismissed as rubbish by those a bit more likely to be privy. Just use common sense before posting something. Why would Tancredi of all people be the first to know? It'd surely have been first reported by someone in the Spanish or English media. I'm not saying he should be totally ignored, exactly, as with Italian football, at least, he's worth listening to.
At the very least you can say probably say Tancredi reports from a different side of the coin since he is not based in England or Spain. Does that make his information less credible? I would argue it depends where it's coming from and how accurate his source is. DiMarzio is one of the most respected and reliable journalists out there and yet he's based in Italy. Perhaps DiMarzio is the exception to the rule but in any case, I think we should put more thought into what we are viewing before rushing to judgment.

We spend a lot of time discussing transfers. Shouldn't we try to be more knowledgeable about how the industry works in general?

Tarrou

Some journalists, depending on who they write for, are encouraged to make stuff up. Tancredi is clearly one of them so he doesn't need to worry about his employers finding out. It's not guesswork, we have plenty of evidence to back up the fact that he talks shite.

I hate journalists like that, which is why I don't think we should give them the time of day. But weeding out all the fake ITK's is the main requirement so if Tancredi is allowed, I can live with it.

Glanville95

Well he's not exactly in the esteemed company of Ducker and Ogden when it comes to reliability and England-based transfers, but he has still called some transfer that are completely unrelated to Italy-based players. He's not someone I'm inclined to believe whenever he publishes or announces something, but he is actually a journalist. I'm not sure what Indykaila is, but a journo or 'ITK' certainly isn't one of them.

As you've said though, simply using common sense is the most important thing.

I'm sorry but anyone who ends a tweet revealing supposed transfer news with "BOOM" is an utter clown.
Certainly doesn't help his cause.

dsch

There is no way of telling inaccurate rumours, accurate rumours for things which don't come off, and random trolling. This is the whole rationale for having a Twitter thread in the first place, to make such rumours available but to contain them. Policing the Twitter thread like this is either futile, since more and more things will always have to be added to the blacklist, or it would become arbitrary.

What really should be discouraged are the comments of "This is bullshit" themselves. Yes, it is mostly crap. Yes, we knew this when we put it there. That is why there exists a thread for this. And really, by extension, the entire transfer forum is for this purpose. Otherwise all we'd need is a thread in the United forum linking to official BBC reports.

Super Nani

The ones that are known bullshitters should definitely be black listed. It's not even amusing in any way and just really annoying that there's so many gullible people out there so they end up getting loads of followers purely cos people want to believe their crap. Twitter is great for breaking transfer news but at the same time very annoying that it's clogged up with so many sad acts pretending to have reliable info.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Twitter and transfer rumours are just a bad match. Anything worthy will be reported on a proper site 15 minutes later max.
People link each and every little update here (as vague or pointless as they may be), and then get annoyed when the transfer doesn't come to pass.

You can really sum the transfer window up in a few short lines:

We're looking at tons of players, and tons of options (kroos, Muller, Konoplyanka, Sanchez, Pedro, Fabregas, Clasie, Mangala, Garay......the list goes on) when there's a proper update (such as Shaw telling Southampton he wants out, as was reported this morning) it'll be on the BBC front page.

People take the tweets too seriously. Half the time it's them stating what the next guy told them. After all, they're not involved in the transfer any more than we are.
And then we have the Mail who aim to have any "news" that hits Twitter on their web site in under 3 minutes. Woodward and Bernstein eat your heart out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some accounts should be banned but then you run into difficulty in a) deciding which are worth keeping and b) keeping everyone aware of who is on the banned list. After all, Tancredi was already banned but his tweets kept popping up.

Limiting it to journalists would seem to be the simplest way but even then some very dodgy accounts get through.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not only should they definitely be banned, but anybody who posts their tweets should receive a thread ban.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Actually, what do football forums do? They must run into the same trouble, how do they handle it?

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I think it would be better if we only posted tweets in the tweet only thread and had the twitter discussion for the discussion.

It's now become counter productive as people use that thread to just keep talking and talking and talking and you go through 3 pages to see about 4-5 tweets maximum. It's basically done the opposite of what was intended, in the old twitter thread it was supposed to be immediate response only, but people couldn't adhere to that so these 2 threads were created, but now the tweets only barely gets used and it's a free for all for discussion in the twitter thread which means now we have to trawl through even more posts to read any tweets now.

And I agree with Damien about blocking certain tweeters and known bullshitters, who wants to read bullshit that we know is bullshit? I'd rather watch a Disney film or something.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't know why this is a poll tbh. Why'd people want to read what the likes of IndyKaila, Rafael Hernandez, Tancredi Palmeri in this transfer window?

I know that journalists often get things wrong but it's different from some blatant bullshitting.