Twitter Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'd rather sell Fellaini. Cleverley can be a good squad player here under the right manager, and central midfield isn't an area we can afford to lose many players from.

johnmufc

I am no great fan of Cleverley, but Fellaini (awful), Anderson (abysmal), Giggs (should retire), and Fletcher (a shadow of the player he once was) should all exit before we consider selling him.

Dominos

He didn't look great under Sir Alex and I think he ticks those boxes. You can blame Moyes for most but Cleverley looking out of his depth and this level probably isn't one of them.
He was worth having in the squad under Ferguson at least.

I think there are definitely coaches who could've got more out of his potential than Fergie though to be honest. He was a very quick thinking, intelligent, one touch player who was good under pressure when he broke through, he declined if anything.

Glanville95

I'd rather sell Fellaini. Cleverley can be a good squad player here under the right manager, and central midfield isn't an area we can afford to lose many players from.
We have enough quantity, but not nearly enough quality and we might look at making two central midfield additions as it is.

Ubik

We have enough quantity, but not nearly enough quality and we might look at making two central midfield additions as it is.
If you look at john's list above, not one of them can be said to have a stable future here. I don't think we have any need of getting rid of Cleverley right now, so unless the bid was too good to turn down we should be looking to keep from my view. Bring quality in, agreed, but see how he goes under the new guy. Look at Henderson, it's not impossible he'll end up handy.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Wont be a popular opinion, but I wouldn't be in favour of letting Cleverley go this summer. We've not got great numbers in that area as it is, we'll be losing Anderson and Giggs as the only other forward thinking central midfielders we've got at the club, I don't see the benefit in getting rid of him. Under a great coach like Van Gaal we could easily see him return to the intelligent pass and move player we saw when he first broke into the team, there's no harm in keeping him as back up to a star CM we sign in the summer. We need some level of continuity in the squad, we can't bin 10 players in one go, it's unheard of. We've won the league with him as first choice for the majority of that season, he's nowhere near that bad. There's a reason Martinez sees potential in him, clearly.
If we get two CMs in I wouldn't worry so much about him leaving. Like you say though, van Gaal could possibly get the best out of him, and he could in fact be our Henderson (I can't believe I just used Henderson as an example, such is the reversal of fortune), but the kid has turned things around at Pool and is now considered a key player.

Raulduke

I can understand that a journalist might get the nod from a club source/Woodward that we're confident of signing a certain player but find it hard to believe that such a nod would go into such detail as the players wages or term of contract.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
It's a hell of a lot for someone 18 but would be an investment for the next 10 years and beyond. Real bought Ramos for about £27m when he was 19. Some players are just that good at that age. Rooney was £27m. I think it's just because Shaw is a LB that people see it as extortionate.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Quite happy to pay the sort of money being asked simply because of his age, no one really quibbles Rooney or Ferdinand's fees as they were seen as long term investments, same with this lad, if you get him at a good level for 12/13 years then the fee is a snip.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
It's a hell of a lot for someone 18 but would be an investment for the next 10 years and beyond. Real bought Ramos for about £27m when he was 19. Some players are just that good at that age. Rooney was £27m. I think it's just because Shaw is a LB that people see it as extortionate.
Its not the fee people are worried about, honestly it feels like 30m is the new 15m but well have to pay that sort of price having missed out on europe. Its the wages we will have to go mental over, I want to make a brave prediction: This coming transfer window will be the most crazy/ high priced and it will mostly be down to us. I think the fact we arent in europe wont bother us so much as it will other players and we will offer absolutely crazy wages/fees other clubs wont be able to match, even Chelsea, Man City (who could in theory match them but will be screwed by FFP). Once again we will be "buying the way to the top" and "skewing the market"

I also think it will be down to the manager we get in, if say we got Van Gaal, i seriously doubt any of this would happen and we would most likely see some odd transfers that effect the squad rather than individuals. If we get Ancelotti, I think well go crazy as I previously mentioned as he tends to just go with big signings.

LR7

I'd be happiest that we're getting things done. Not waiting around wasting time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's crazy money, even in this age. I'd be fine with 25-30mil if the wages were normal, but 100k a week for a 18/19 year old? Just madness. My worry would be what happens in a few years when he wants a new contract? Would be a very good signing ignoring the financial aspect and an ideal long term replacement, but we should try to lower to price or wages at least.

Mister_Stubbs

Is it just Jamie Jackson running the story at the moment or have more journalists latched on to this?

itso 7

That's crazy money, even in this age. I'd be fine with 25-30mil if the wages were normal, but 100k a week for a 18/19 year old? Just madness. My worry would be what happens in a few years when he wants a new contract? Would be a very good signing ignoring the financial aspect and an ideal long term replacement, but we should try to lower to price or wages at least.
The thing is he will be hard pressed to find a club willing to pay him a substantial increment on 100k and a lot depends on how successful we would be as a club but I do acknowledge that it's a steep fee and wage to pay for a teenage leftback, we can certainly do better on the continent . We do have other needs in the side and it's not wise to spend this much on him .

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Why are we doing deals without a manager? Shouldn't a manager have the final say on whether he wants the player
Manager-less Chelsea and City have signed player's in the past. van Gaal has previously worked with a director of football signing player's for him too.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
@Freak

Most top managers live an itinerant life these days. Unlike Moyes they do not expect to go into a job and get to choose all the players that they would ideally want. A guy like Van Gaal will come in and prevail with any reasonable tools available. Shaw is a reasonable tool.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We haven't confirmed van gaal though. And I just don't like the idea of a dof. It's stupid and the manager should always be the one who decides which players he wants.
We need a left-back, Shaw happens to be the best young left-back in Europe, I don't see the issue.

Mister_Stubbs

We haven't confirmed van gaal though. And I just don't like the idea of a dof. It's stupid and the manager should always be the one who decides which players he wants.
I'd be amazed if LVG or any manager for that matter had a problem with having one of if not the best young left back in the world in he's team.

Ubik

I'd be amazed if LVG or any manager for that matter had a problem with having one of if not the best young left back in the world in he's team.
In fairness, he probably thinks he could turn Buttner into a dutch Roberto Carlos.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Considering we nearly spent £20m on a near 30 year old Baines in the summer, I don't see how this is that big a deal.

Mister_Stubbs

In fairness, he probably thinks he could turn Buttner into a dutch Roberto Carlos.
That would be something wouldn't it, I'm not Buttner's biggest fan but if he went in to next season with Shaw as first choice and Buttner second I wouldn't be to upset.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
30m is nothing when you consider he's almost certainly going to be a top left back for the next 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.