Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyng

This is the sort of signing that gets me excited about the rebuild. Young prospect, not to expensive and the new manager knows him quite well from the league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I assume the whole caf will be tuning in to Marseille - Feyenoord come thursday to cheer us (him) on? :)

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Spanish league too light weight, French league is the real farmers league, German league too attacking, numbers can never be trusted, Scottish league equivalent to championship, Championship too much of a step up. May be there are other leagues in space we can get players from :lol:
Dont forget PL is too expensive or not ambitious enough or the team is too small won’t adapt to the demands of United zzzzzz:boring:

didz

What’s weird I find is doesn’t Blind play as Ajax’s LB making it a 3 at the back? Or does one of ETH’s fullbacks not push in to central positions in midfield playing as an Auxiliary DM allowing for more options and for the team to push higher. Meaning that ETH doesn’t really play with fullbacks that dominate in wide offensive areas.

I haven’t really watched his Ajax since the DeLigt, DeJong and Donny days but from what I’ve read and seen on ETH flying fullbacks (The Cafs obsession) is not his thing.

So you would think if it’s a more measured fullback who can link play or be a 3rd auxiliary CB Shaw is your man for that job if he can get fit.

This guy sounds interesting and hopefully be a challenge for Shaw but then you would think Williams is hoping to come back and do that. Seems to me ETH likes a solid footballer who can pass. Shaw fits those qualities, hopefullly Malacia has similar qualities.
The fullbacks and midfielders usually take turns helping to form up a back 3 - that level of positional rotation might not take here, though.

In the 4-0 vs Dortmund game this season, Blind (from left back) ended up in a centre forward position to smash in the second goal from a Haller flick. It wasn't an isolated incident either - he kept popping up in the D throughout that game.

Mazraoui seems to end up ahead of Haller pretty often too, I think. Looking at fbref, he takes 1.23 shots per 90 and is in the 99th percentile for progressive passes received, which kind of backs up what I've seen.

If you've watched many Liverpool games this season, Alexander-Arnold takes up some very unorthodox positions for a fullback similar to those Mazraoui does for Ajax.

Whether these kinds of things make up what people mean by "flying fullbacks" I don't really know. But they are certainly essential attacking weapons in a Ten Hag team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The key issue with AWB on the ball isn't his output in terms of goals/assists, it's his inability to participate to a high level in general play because he struggles to play progressively under pressure. It doesn't matter that he doesn't get bags of goals/assists. It does matter that if we try to play out from the back we struggle to move the ball forward down his flank and he's an obvious target for the opposition press.

I'd like to know from people who watch him regularly whether Malacia has that weakness? Because if he doesn't then the AWB comparison doesn't hold. And the only stats I've been able to find don't indicate a problem in that regard.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
The key issue with AWB on the ball isn't his output in terms of goals/assists, it's his inability to participate to a high level in general play because he struggles to play progressively under pressure. It doesn't matter that he doesn't get bags of goals/assists. It does matter that if we try to play out from the back we struggle to move the ball forward down his flank and he's an obvious target for the opposition press.

I'd like to know from people who watch him regularly whether Malacia has that weakness? Because if he doesn't then the AWB comparison doesn't hold. And the only stats I've been able to find don't indicate a problem in that regard.

I watch every Feyenoord game. I'm always calm when he gets the ball under pressure. He's agile and can turn around quickly. On top of that he shields the ball well. He makes a lot of runs forward and prefers to pass it short to the winger or midfielder around the box. He doesn't lose possession much and generally keeps the flow going.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
They're stretching it with the "can cross". His crossing ability is somewhere in between AWB's and Dalot's I'd say.
He's defensively very good, not just alright. Few mistakes, positions properly, good one on one.

I'd say that's his strength. He's not a player that has killer passes like Blind or is Roberto Carlos levels of brilliant going forward. He knows where to position to progress play. He plays it simple and to the right person, even when pressed.

That said, he's played about 8 games against quality opposition this season, so it's a small sample size. The stats you posted paint a fair picture.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Spot on. Awb at his best even has some decent skills when it comes to dribbling. But his general contribution to the buildup, first touch, short passing, quick link up play etc is just awful. Hence in tight games where there isn't much space our right side offers nothing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He played well. Technically he looks good and his positional awareness is impressive for a player his age. Has the tenacity too, which makes him a very interesting prospect.

L1nk

Interested FC, but not signing FC, he's going to Lyon supposedly. I just cant see us negotiating or signing anyone until ETH actually starts. It should be able to be getting done now as we speak to him but I just cant see it happening and a lot of clubs will already be doing deals for players whilst we wait

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Interested FC, but not signing FC, he's going to Lyon supposedly. I just cant see us negotiating or signing anyone until ETH actually starts. It should be able to be getting done now as we speak to him but I just cant see it happening and a lot of clubs will already be doing deals for players whilst we wait
Shame. He looks like he'd add a lot.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Lyon bound then. I don't see us signing a left back unless we can offload Telles somehow.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Shortest transfer saga we've ever been involved in. Good stuff.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Would be a very underwhelming destination if true. Sincerely hope he goes to a real league.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Very worried if we can only start negotiating when Ten Hag starts, by that point most players who would be moving will be halfway through negotiations woth other clubs - it'll be the Moyes season all over again when he decided to take a two week holiday before starting with us and we twiddled our thumbs saying no to the likes of Thiago (which could be this year's Tchouameni).

I hope we've at least told Ten Hag about a list of targets for him to go over.

Kaos

Very worried if we can only start negotiating when Ten Hag starts, by that point most players who would be moving will be halfway through negotiations woth other clubs - it'll be the Moyes season all over again when he decided to take a two week holiday before starting with us and we twiddled our thumbs saying no to the likes of Thiago (which could be this year's Tchouameni).

I hope we've at least told Ten Hag about a list of targets for him to go over.
Moyes veto'd Thiago. Hopefully our new manager isn't as stupid.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Moyes veto'd Thiago. Hopefully our new manager isn't as stupid.
Well I seem to remember we had our chance to sign Thiago, the Pep went to Bayern and I don't think he'd have come to us after that, as it was two things really, United not doing anything transfer wise until Moyes come in, and Moyes saying no to the one deal we pretty much had in place before SAF retired.

Either way the point remains, if we don't talk to any agent or player until Ten Hag officially signs on the dotted line, this summer will be much harder than it already will be.

Irrational.

I’m sure we’ll be linked with him in a season or two when he tears up the farmers’ league and is worth £70 million+.

Kaos

Well I seem to remember we had our chance to sign Thiago, the Pep went to Bayern and I don't think he'd have come to us after that, as it was two things really, United not doing anything transfer wise until Moyes come in, and Moyes saying no to the one deal we pretty much had in place before SAF retired.

Either way the point remains, if we don't talk to any agent or player until Ten Hag officially signs on the dotted line, this summer will be much harder than it already will be.
Rio himself recently revealed that Thiago called him in that summer and asked if he could nudge the club to help get the deal over the line. It was Moyes who decided he didn't want him. He would have been our player otherwise, irrespective of Pep's interest.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Rio himself recently revealed that Thiago called him in that summer and asked if he could nudge the club to help get the deal over the line. It was Moyes who decided he didn't want him. He would have been our player otherwise, irrespective of Pep's interest.
Well that is interesting, thanks for making me dislike Moyes even more.

croadyman

Yeah expecting all transfer stuff to be pure speculation until Erik arrives, hopefully a few days after Ajax last game in time for Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.