U19 Euro Championships 2016

Impulse

I think Solanke and Abraham have a chance. I do agree though that we sorely lack a ball playing midfielder or a gifted number 10.
Solannke is the best of the lot imo, but I would have to see him playing against senior professional players to be sure. I don't see how Abraham is different to the others, he's very physically developed already.

Classical Mechanic

Solannke is the best of the lot imo, but I would have to see him playing against senior professional players to be sure. I don't see how Abraham is different to the others, he's very physically developed already.
Abraham is massive and decent technically. Perhaps he does find the it easier at that level but you don't need to be technically exceptional to be a striker.

Solanke scored 7 in 25 in his first senior season in Holland.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
About the size of the players etc. I find it problematic that the FA have hired Aidy Boothroyd (a.k.a. Aidy Hoofroyd) to be in charge of this team, guys like him shouldn't be employed by the FA in youth capacities, they should only hire young progressive managers at that level and not kick 'n' rush managers. But then again, the FA also hired the ultimate kick 'n' rush manager, John Beck, in 2013. The shadow of Charles Hughes is still hovering within the FA unfortunately.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Have only watched the England games vs France and Croatia but to me, England look a really poor footballing team who beating the others because they are phsically superior.
They aren't a "great footballing team" (No team will be that under a coach like Aidy Boothroyd) but to say "They are poor footballing team" is very harsh.
France have played the best football in the tournament no doubt......but which other team in the tournament/qualification/friendlies have played better football than England???

But i agree that the squad are lacking quality attacking midfielders.....the best midfielders of the group are defensive midfielders (Cook and Oxford).
They did have some good technical players as well though. With England, most of our attacking players just look like early developed kids who are dominating the other teams with direct football. There's not a single England attacker who I think will go on to represent the senior team, which is pretty poor for a team that is only two age groups below.

Edit: One of the commentators on the game today questioned why so few of the players from previous England teams had gone on to represent the senior team, it seemed obvious to me, and I don't see this group any differently from those in the past.
At least Solanke and Roberts have surely a chance.
So Augustin and Mbappe have scored all of France's goals so far this tournament?
Yes
About the size of the players etc. I find it problematic that the FA have hired Aidy Boothroyd (a.k.a. Aidy Hoofroyd) to be in charge of this team, guys like him shouldn't be employed by the FA in youth capacities, they should only hire young progressive managers at that level and not kick 'n' rush managers. But then again, the FA also hired the ultimate kick 'n' rush manager, John Beck, in 2013. The shadow of Charles Hughes is still hovering within the FA unfortunately.
You don't know why Boothryod got the job??

Impulse

They aren't a "great footballing team" (No team will be that under a coach like Aidy Boothroyd) but to say "They are poor footballing team" is very harsh.
France have played the best football in the tournament no doubt......but which other team in the tournament/qualification/friendlies have played better football than England???

But i agree that the squad are lacking quality attacking midfielders.....the best midfielders of the group are defensive midfielders (Cook and Oxford).

At least Solanke and Roberts have surely a chance.
Well they certainly haven't played good football. That may very well come from the coach but few of the players look like they should be playing a more expansive game. It seems to be a case of just sitting back and playing a very direct counter attacking game against teams who can't deal with England's physicality. I did say already that I'd only watched the England vs France and England vs Croatia games so I can't comment on any of the other teams but I don't think we were the better footballing side in either game.

Solanke is the pick of the attacking players, which I mentioned previously. Roberts isn't in the squad and I'm talking specifically about what I've seen in this tournament.

Well they certainly haven't played good football. That may very well come from the coach but few of the players look like they should be playing a more expansive game. It seems to be a case of just sitting back and playing a very direct counter attacking game against teams who can't deal with England's physicality. I did say already that I'd only watched the England vs France and England vs Croatia games so I can't comment on any of the other teams but I don't think we were the better footballing side in either game.

Solanke is the pick of the attacking players, which I mentioned previously. Roberts isn't in the squad and I'm talking specifically about what I've seen in this tournament.
Is that based on his reputation or on what you've seen in this tournament?

Haven't seen a minute myself sadly.

Re this team, it's generally accepted as being one of the most talented England age group, certainly the one with the most depth. Coaching is an issue though, along with the standouts (Roberts, Cook and Crowley) not being selected for whatever reason.

Impulse

Is that based on his reputation or on what you've seen in this tournament?

Haven't seen a minute myself sadly.

Re this team, it's generally accepted as being one of the most talented England age group, certainly the one with the most depth. Coaching is an issue though, along with the standouts (Roberts, Cook and Crowley) not being selected for whatever reason.
I've seen him a few times for the various Chelsea under-age teams where he's generally been impressive.

I've seen him a few times for the various Chelsea under-age teams where he's generally been impressive.
Ah, right. Fair enough.

Yeah, he's been quite good. Not much in it between him and Abraham IMO, both talented. Solanke maybe shades it technically with his link up.

Sadly, for England, we'll ruin both I'm sure.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

So you really think England are beating teams like Italy (Qualification), Spain (Qualification), Germany (Friendly), France (Tournament) and Netherlands (Tournament) just because of that.....okay okay.
How should I know?
Sorry :)
Boothroyd has a lot of friends in The FA.
Roberts and Cook weren't released by their clubs......The FA can nothing do about that.
Armstrong, Clarke-Salter and Bortwick-Jackson are/were injured.
Crowley would be surely a starter for the team (The important attacking midfielder for the team) if he wouldn't have been injured.

So you really think England are beating teams like Italy (Qualification), Spain (Qualification), Germany (Friendly), France (Tournament) and Netherlands (Tournament) just because of that.....okay okay.

Sorry :)
Boothroyd has a lot of friends in The FA.

Roberts and Cook weren't released by their clubs......The FA can nothing do about that.
Armstrong, Clarke-Salter and Bortwick-Jackson are/were injured.
Crowley would be surely a starter for the team (The important attacking midfielder for the team) if he wouldn't have been injured.
Yeah, I know about Roberts and Cook.

Re Crowley, doubt that very much. I don't know if it's a commitment thing, given the continued Irish links, but he very rarely gets consistent looks from England, which is very frustrating. I think he's brilliant.

Bamboozler

It's a very interesting notion to think about all the criticism the Full first team got at the Euro's... claims of 'no identity' consistent references to German and Spanish youth models and how they reflect a chosen 'identity' of the nation they represent. Yet, when there is a coach who does this i.e. traditional English traits, physical, less technical, more direct.... and achieves some success, he is criticized for this approach and belittled as not being technical good enough.

While I can appreciate and empathize with this particular situation, it is somewhat paradoxical. We either want success and will focus on the aspects we are good at to get it, or we want technically attractive football...... I am sure there is an argument to suggest there is a solution for both, however, it is a very rare package that can be consistently played out.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
It's a very interesting notion to think about all the criticism the Full first team got at the Euro's... claims of 'no identity' consistent references to German and Spanish youth models and how they reflect a chosen 'identity' of the nation they represent. Yet, when there is a coach who does this i.e. traditional English traits, physical, less technical, more direct.... and achieves some success, he is criticized for this approach and belittled as not being technical good enough.

While I can appreciate and empathize with this particular situation, it is somewhat paradoxical. We either want success and will focus on the aspects we are good at to get it, or we want technically attractive football...... I am sure there is an argument to suggest there is a solution for both, however, it is a very rare package that can be consistently played out.
The problem is that the physical approach only really works at youth level, in senior football it's not enough, and that's where England is exposed. England is usually doing well at all youth levels, but at senior level there's been no semi-finals since 1996, which simply is abysmal.

Bamboozler

So perhaps there is a hybrid that can be achieved? Either way, the public and fans need to have a better idea as to what it is they want and what they are willing to put up with it in order to achieve it. As it stands, its a lose-lose scenario regardless of what they do.

Classical Mechanic

The problem is that the physical approach only really works at youth level, in senior football it's not enough, and that's where England is exposed. England is usually doing well at all youth levels, but at senior level there's been no semi-finals since 1996, which simply is abysmal.
That's not entirely true. There was something like a 17 year drought of England winning anything at youth level until 2010 when they won the U17 Euros. Then we won it again in 2014 (largely with this team that is in the u19s) and we also won the Toulon Tournament this year after a major drought.

If you look at what the England Chelsea lads gave won in recent years at club level too, it is fair to say there has been some improvement recently.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
That's not entirely true. There was something like a 17 year drought of England winning anything at youth level until 2010 when they won the U17 Euros. Then we won it again in 2014 (largely with this team that is in the u19s) and we also won the Toulon Tournament this year after a major drought.

If you look at what the England Chelsea lads gave won in recent years at club level too, it is fair to say there has been some improvement recently.
England might not have won anything, but they still did a lot better than the senior team pre-2010.

U17 (2002-2009)
2002: 3rd place
2003: 4th place
2004: 4th place
2005: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2007: Runners-up
2009: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)

U18 (1994-2001)
1996: 3rd place

U19 (2002-2009)

2002: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2003: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2005: Runners-up
2008: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2009: Runners-up

U21 (1994-2009)
2000: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2007: Semi-final

Classical Mechanic

England might not have won anything, but they still did a lot better than the senior team pre-2010.

U17 (2002-2009)
2002: 3rd place
2003: 4th place
2004: 4th place
2005: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2007: Runners-up
2009: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)

U18 (1994-2001)
1996: 3rd place

U19 (2002-2009)

2003: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2005: Runners-up
2008: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)

U21 (1994-2009)
2000: Group stage (only 8 teams qualified)
2007: Semi-final
There is a disconnect in performance at youth level and the seniors I agree but I still think it is fair to say that there has been some improvement in recent years.

Look at the Chelsea side that are the best in Europe too, all the starting finalists in the Champions League this year were eligible to play for England.

Impulse

I have said multiple times that I've only seen the two games, and during those two games, that's exactly how we've played. I have no idea how this team plays outside of these games, or whether it's different if they had a full selection to choose from.

As for the disconnect between English youth teams and the senior team, you only have to look as far as the team which won the under 17's in 2010. It's been six years yet only two players from that side have gone on to play for the senior team and only one or two have any sort of realistic chance of adding to that number.

Classical Mechanic

I have said multiple times that I've only seen the two games, and during those two games, that's exactly how we've played. I have no idea how this team plays outside of these games, or whether it's different if they had a full selection to choose from.

As for the disconnect between English youth teams and the senior team, you only have to look as far as the team which won the under 17's in 2010. It's been six years yet only two players from that side have gone on to play for the senior team and only one or two have any sort of realistic chance of adding to that number.
The same applies to all countries though. Have a look at the Spain squad that we beat in the final or any team of the tournament.

Impulse

The same applies to all countries though. Have a look at the Spain squad that we beat in the final or any team of the tournament.
I was using the 2010 team because they won the tournament, so as to prove that even a winning team at that age does not mean we have a great generation on our hands. Spain didn't win the tournament, and have/had a much better team that their players have to break into. Saul and Jese for example were part of that Spain team and they would absolutely have been capped by the senior team if they were English.

Classical Mechanic

I was using the 2010 team because they won the tournament, so as to prove that even a winning team at that age does not mean we have a great generation on our hands. Spain didn't win the tournament, and have/had a much better team that their players have to break into. Saul and Jese for example were part of that Spain team and they would absolutely have been capped by the senior team if they were English.
I don't think that Jese would necessarily. He isn't that good really. If you get two or three senior international players from a squad then that is a result. From the England squad that won you have Barkley, Butland and Berahino that have a chance of establishing themselves still.

Impulse

I don't think that Jese would necessarily. He isn't that good really. If you get two or three senior international players from a squad then that is a result. From the England squad that won you have Barkley, Butland and Berahino that have a chance of establishing themselves still.
Jese is a squad player at Real Madrid, squad players at big English clubs tend to get fast-tracked into the England team, for example Tom Cleverley. I don't think Jese is any worse than Sterling or Lallana who both went to the Euro's this summer.
I don't think three players is a good haul from a team that is supposed to be the best in it's age group in Europe. Not when the team they are trying to break into has made a single quarter final in the past decade.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Like @Classical Mechanic has said....that isn't a english problem....it's normal for U17 level.

Winners
2007: Spain - De Gea, Bojan, Nacho & Ignacio Camacho
2008: Spain - Thiago
2009: Germany - Götze, Mustafi & Ter Stegen
2011: Netherlands - Memphis, Willems, Rekik, Kongolo & Vilhena

U17 Euro 2010
144 players were in the squads for all eight teams....only 17 players so far have played for the senior team.

Impulse

Fair enough, I hadn't looked into the players graduating form the other teams and assumed they would have more. Though I would point out that those teams have been comfortably better than us over the past decade so it's harder to break into their teams.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Young Lions
Starting XI: Woodman - Kenny, Oxford, Tomori, Walker-Peters - Onomah, Rossiter, Maitland-Niles - Brown, Solanke, Abraham

Bench: Howes, (Tafari) Moore, (Taylor) Moore, Fry, Ledson, Ojo, Lookman

Hopefully another 2-1 win :)

Rafateria

Young Lions
Starting XI: Woodman - Kenny, Oxford, Tomori, Walker-Peters - Onomah, Rossiter, Maitland-Niles - Brown, Solanke, Abraham

Bench: Howes, (Tafari) Moore, (Taylor) Moore, Fry, Ledson, Ojo, Lookman

Hopefully another 2-1 win :)
I appreciate all of your updates. Do you have a link to a working stream perchance ?

VFC1922

Supports
Velež Mostar
No tension, pressure, complicating with the ball, forcing, and they are still U19 .. I adore Italy football "philosophy" and school. There is plenty things England lads can learn, but with their individual arrogance and no team play/spirit .. yeah, hope they achieve something in their football career.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
LOL. Nobody does penalty shootouts like Germany. With the final WC spot on the line. Netherlands hit the crossbar on the potential winning penalty. Netherlands goalie shittalks. Germany score. Netherlands hit crossbar again. Netherlands goalie shittalks again. Germany score again. Bye Holland. :lol:

Bernerr

Supports
Bayern
The whole match was totaly crazy, Germany was up 1-0 till the 80th minute and then netherlands scored with their first two shoots in the whole game. Followed by Germany equailizing late in extra time and going up again in overtime. But another misstake and another goal out of nowhere by the netherlands and after that big chances on both sides in the finale minutes. And to finish it off the penalty shooting you just described. Football at its best

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
England vs Italy 1-2
I couldn't watch the 2nd half and i'm glad about that......to lose against a average italian side :lol:......feck off The FA and Aidy Boothroyd :mad:

Portugal vs France 1-3
If Augustin doesn't score then Mbappe is there.
France will win the tournament.

Germany vs Netherlands 3-3, 5-4 Pens
A shame i couldn't watch the match......looks like it was fun :)