U21: Manchester United vs Chelsea

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Kick off at 7:45 BST
At Old Trafford
Live on MUTV

Warren Joyce's side trail leaders Sunderland by five points but have four games in hand on the Black Cats, who could only manage a 2-2 draw at home to Southampton on Sunday.

Chelsea meanwhile lie in fifth spot in the table but are unbeaten since November, with the away game between the clubs in Aldershot postponed on 20 March.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Free entry as well. Was considering going down but am practically falling asleep at my desk so don't think I'm gonna bother.

Devil may care

This ones on BT Sport, hopefully Pereira and Januzaj are playing, apparently Jones will be.

WhoDaGOAT

When was the last time The U21s played before this?

It really amazes me how a setup such as The Premier League has such an inconsistent U21 format still in place.

Our lads should never be more than 2 weeks without a game. It should be a place for 18-20 year olds to learn their trade and develop.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

It really amazes me how a setup such as The Premier League has such an inconsistent U21 format still in place.

Our lads should never be more than 2 weeks without a game. It should be a place for 18-20 year olds to learn their trade and develop.
March 11th, game on the 20th got postponed and then the international break. They've had a few behind closed door friendlies in that time. They were having a game a week from start of January to mid-march but yeah it is because they hardly played in the first half of the season.

There was an article in one of the papers recently about them wanting to mirror the PL schedule so hopefully that happens. It also mentioned about letting more overage players to try boost the competition level and also changing the u18s to u19s which should help English teams in the Uefa youth league.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

i agree. kids at that age should be playing at least as much as the senior members.

WhoDaGOAT

March 11th, game on the 20th got postponed and then the international break. They've had a few behind closed door friendlies in that time. They were having a game a week from start of January to mid-march but yeah it is because they hardly played in the first half of the season.

There was an article in one of the papers recently about them wanting to mirror the PL schedule so hopefully that happens. It also mentioned about letting more overage players to try boost the competition level and also changing the u18s to u19s which should help English teams in the Uefa youth league.
U19s is a good idea. They should consider an U21 Champions League as well. Unlikely but would be great.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
U21s: #mufc v Chelsea - Johnstone, Riley, Williams, Jones, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair, Love, Varela, Young, A. Pereira, Weir.
U21s: #mufc v Chelsea substitutes - J. Pereira, El Fitouri, Rothwell, Redmond, McTominay.

ffs....seriously thinking of not watching this, absolutely nothing to watch.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Beeney; Dabo (c), Tomori, Clarke-Salter, Aina; Colkett, Ali; Quintero, Palmer, Mitchell; Abraham

Kasey Palmer seems to score screamers from midfield fairly often and Tammy Abraham should be in our first team squad.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
LVG has obviously just realised that McNair can play midfield after his international games. That guy seriously didn't do any home work before coming here, or didn't bother to discuss these things once he'd arrived. Or perhaps just didn't listen at all, which is probably closer to the truth.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Am I wrong or are all Rilley, Williams, Jones, BJ, McNair, Love and Varela all defenders? Smells of that 2-0 Arsenal match.

Šjor Bepo

Beeney; Dabo (c), Tomori, Clarke-Salter, Aina; Colkett, Ali; Quintero, Palmer, Mitchell; Abraham

Kasey Palmer seems to score screamers from midfield fairly often and Tammy Abraham should be in our first team squad.
is that a good lineup? thinking of putting some money on you guys....

spenzo

That team has really dampened my desire to watch this. Can't even picture the shape we're going for and knowing Joyce and his experimentation with players' positions it could be anything.

What's with all the old people in your side? fecking cheaters!
To be fair Young and Jones have had lengthy lay offs.

duffer

Scout
is that a good lineup? thinking of putting some money on you guys....
Good defense and Abraham upfront is very good. Will be an interesting test for him today if Jones is at the back for you.

I'm not convinced with Mitchell Beeney in goal and our midfield is missing a few who usually play.

We're missing Jay Dasilva who is probably my favourite of our youth lot (not out on loan).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Is this the new direction we're going in with our youth and academy then? A jolly for the first teamers not getting games.
This is how it will be in future and how it used to be when reserve leagues worked properly. First teamers always dropped down to get their fitness up after injury. Much better they learn against seasoned professionals than always playing kids. They look great there, but for some the transfer to the first team is too big a gap.

Devil may care

I'm glad Pereira is playing and it will be interesting to see if McNair is in midfield or if this is a 3-5-2.

Who is missing that people wanted to see?

duffer

Scout
Is this the new direction we're going in with our youth and academy then? A jolly for the first teamers not getting games.
It's interesting that you've got at least 4 (Johnstone, Varela, Jones and Young) guys who are 23 or over. We should probably be giving the likes of Falcao or PAto a few minutes in these games. We never seem to .

Šjor Bepo

Who is missing that people wanted to see?
dont know is someone injured or not(Harrop probably is) but Redmond, Willock, Mitchell, Harrop, Rothwell.....Love and McNair starting in midfield ahead of Rothwell :lol::lol::lol:

spenzo

Really wanted to see Mitchell today although I can't say for sure he's not injured but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. It's a joke Rothwell isn't starting and I know Willock's out atm but I'm loooking forward to seeing him back, he's been great this season.

I thought Rooney had been lined up for this? Setback?
No they said the next match would probably be the one he comes back in.

Devil may care

dont know is someone injured or not(Harrop probably is) but Redmond, Willock, Mitchell, Harrop, Rothwell.....Love and McNair starting in midfield ahead of Rothwell :lol::lol::lol:
Thanks, I rarely see anything but the goals from the U21 games so I wasn't sure who was missing that seemed to have so many upset. Still, looking forward to see Pereira, Riley and CBJ.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Love starting in midfield ahead of Rothwell is disappointing.