U21s: Liverpool vs. United

Cold_Boy

I assumed that he'd look desperate to get in the first team and sometimes look to do too much. Looks more like he cant be arsed though, you can see the same when he gets the odd run out in the first team.
You may be right about the "can't be arsed" but not sure.

He looks a bit classy on the ball but hardly imposes himself. For all the talent you have if you don't imposes yourself, its of no use.(And not sure about him having extra ordinary talent too). Even Gibson looked classy and talented in the reserves but again he never really worked hard and rarely impossed himself in the midfield.

Weird that Fergie has said he is Scholesy's replacement and sure shot first team player for us in future.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
He sort of reminds me of Slyvan Blake before his injuries...not sure he's as talented a finisher. Maybe its they are both heavily one footed.
I can see it, think some of it can be put down to nerves considering the size of the game he was played in because some of his play looked quite rushed/choked.

Def looking forward to seeing more of him

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Januzaj will get a first team appearances from next season. He's actually working hard in the reserves. Powell's talent is obvious(although he was disappointing). Tom Thorpe is a classy bastard.

Cevno

Ah good win. We created the better chances, from Schlupp running them ragged physically and with his pace.

Were the better team overall as well, and ironically goal came when we seemed to have gone stale after Januzaj was taken off.

Brightonian

Ah good win. We created the better chances, from Schlupp running them ragged physically and with his pace.

Were the better team overall as well, and ironically goal came when we seemed to have gone stale after Januzaj was taken off.
Yeah it was a weird substitution given that we were comfortably on top and just seemed to need a push to get the goal.

Cevno

You may be right about the "can't be arsed" but not sure.

He looks a bit classy on the ball but hardly imposes himself. For all the talent you have if you don't imposes yourself, its of no use.(And not sure about him having extra ordinary talent too). Even Gibson looked classy and talented in the reserves but again he never really worked hard and rarely impossed himself in the midfield.

Weird that Fergie has said he is Scholesy's replacement and sure shot first team player for us in future.
Powell was playing as DM today, and did decently i thought. He has been a support striker before this and would be a more attacking midfielder in the long term.

There are shades of Lampard in him actually. Played as the Striker in the 2 games before and did well too.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Januzaj will get a first team appearances from next season. He's actually working hard in the reserves. Powell's talent is obvious(although he was disappointing). Tom Thorpe is a classy bastard.
Too right. Will be disappointed if all three don't make it here. My only concern is Thorpe's age, he's 21 now isn't he?

KM

I think Blackett for Januzaj wasn't as weird as you guys are saying.

Januzaj was taking a battering from Wisdom and was tiring. Blackett is an attacking full back.

Cevno

This.

Thorpe back in defence and we keep a clean sheet against a strong team. Don't get why he's not gone out on loan.

Januzaj might get a appearance this season even, if things work out for him.

Cold_Boy

Powell was playing as DM today, and did decently i thought. He has been a support striker before this and would be a more attacking midfielder in the long term.

There are shades of Lampard in him actually. Played as the Striker in the 2 games before and did well too.
What am saying is in general and not based on today.

And yeah I can see him becoming a Lampard. That's what I forgot to mention in my post.

He looks talented but not sure about being extra-ordinarily talented.

KM

Too right. Will be disappointed if all three don't make it here. My only concern is Thorpe's age, he's 21 now isn't he?
The talent is obvious in Thorpe. Think we're waiting him to develop physically.

Cevno

Thorpe is the doubt out of those 3 in terms of making it here tbh. Keane has surpassed him.

KM

Promising match that.

Liverpool had players like Shelvey, Wisdom, Suso, Sterling etc who have played regularly in their first team this season. Our first choice midfielders and defenders were out on loan, our best strikers injured and yet we defeated them.

Januzaj was excellent, while Schlupp apart from finishing was promising. Ben Amos's save was cracking. Thought Thorpe was also very good.

Widnes

Didn't watch the full game, getting told Liverpool channel claiming United fans was shouting 'you black bastard' at sterling, from what I heard only heard you scouse bastard getting shouted in the game.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Januzaj was brilliant but he was most likely substituted because we have a game against West Ham at Upton Park on Friday. Also the pitch tonight was very heavy and he took a lot tackles and the result isn't as important as his development.

Thought Lingard and Thorpe were very good. Charni also did well when he came on.

Powell showed glimpses but didn't dominate as well as he can do imo. Buttner wasn't great either, doesn't know when to release the ball and his positioning is poor.

KM

Didn't watch the full game, getting told Liverpool channel claiming United fans was shouting 'you black bastard' at sterling, from what I heard only heard you scouse bastard getting shouted in the game.
Nah Liverpool channel hasn't claimed anything.

One Liverpool fan account tweeted it and the rest of them has followed that account like sheeps, as expected.

Cevno

Buttner makes errors regularly even at this level. I just don't see it him thus far.

Cevno

Not at all. Thorpe is a better prospect than Keane imo. Potentially a different level completely.
I like Thorpe, but you are underrating Keane.

The problem for Thorpe is which position will he make it at ? Aerially, his height could be a problem at CB.

Drainy

Not at all. Thorpe is a better prospect than Keane imo. Potentially a different level completely.
The only thing Thorpe has on Keane now is a little more recovery pace. Once Keane packs a little more muscle onto his frame he's going to be a top class defender.

Cevno

Ive watched Keane since he signed for the club. Thorpe has a far higher ceiling imo.
Dunno, can't be sure of that. Keane was small during his u18 days so at RB, flew under the radar while Thorpe was the leader and captain.

Since Keane has grown the past 2 years though, he has surpassed Thorpe and got a first team appearance ahead of him too and since then is playing and performing consistently at the top of the Championship.

Thorpe at CB needs filling out and a better leap.

KM

My MUTV river isn't showing that. feck sake.

Cevno

Buttner took Suso 100% out of the game - harsh to criticize him. One of our best players
He had 2/3 moments where he was all over the place positionally. Once in the second half and once in the first 10/15 minutes.

Even attacking wise he didn't offer much.

And it's everytime the same thing with him, even at this level. Needs to sort that out.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Powell continues his pattern of a good game followed by an anonymous one at this level. Needs to gain stability before making the next step. One who certainly doesn't struggle for stability at u21 level is Lingard, once again one of our best players. Buttner had a great first half and Thorpe was classy throughout. All in all we should have done better against 9 men and Shelvey.

Drainy

Dunno, can't be sure of that. Keane was small during his u18 days so at RB, flew under the radar while Thorpe was the leader and captain.

Since Keane has grown the past 2 years though, he has surpassed Thorpe and got a first team appearance ahead of him too and since then is playing and performing consistently at the top of the Championship.

Thorpe at CB needs filling out and a better leap.
Yes, from what I've heard Michael Keane was a player who was really a late developer physically and had to be held back to play against players of a similar physical size, like with Lingard, Cleverley, Giverin etc. He's mostly caught up now and is probably around the 6 foot 3 mark, around ideal for a centreback, but he's still a little bit on the weak side physically.

Quinton Fortune

I'd like to see the club loan Powell out for a month or two in the Championship just to get him games at a higher level with a view to him coming back for the last month or two of the season where he might be able to get some game time if the league is up. I'd certainly expect him to show that he wants it a bit more though, perhaps he might even be here because the coaches want to keep a close eye on his progress.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We won? Hooray! Oh Fornasier, i take back all the bad things i said! Well, all i said was that Thorpe should be ahead of him at cb, not so bad really.

On a side note, does Fornasier mean "one who fornicates"?

Moz

I was there tonight and it was well worth six quid! Very entertaining game which far exceeded my expectations. I was proud of my fellow supporters from my home town for our vocal support and banners. We put the scousers in the opposite end to shame (yes, I know it's an U21s match but you get behind your club, right?)

Game was complete with a last minute winner, flares in the United end and one man pitch invasion. Some funny feckers in our end giving Sterling persistent abuse which he could hear I reckon (e.g. 'Sterling! Ask your mam who yer dad is!')

As for performances, Ben Amos looked assured in goal. Demonstrated good handling and made some good saves whilst taking command of his area. I though Lingard made some impressive runs whilst Schlupp looked good at using his strength to create openings. Defenders put in some great tackles and looked determined but made it easy for Liverpool on occasions too. Buttner was disappointing in attack. Powell looked assured and did the simple things very well when needed.