U21s: Liverpool vs. United

Moz

Were they feck singing anything racist! Of course, we heard 'you scouse bastard' a lot but not 'you black bastard'. If anyone did, it was one idiot on their own; No group of people in the United end did any such thing. It was all within the boundaries of what might be considered acceptable by most sane people at a United-Liverpool encounter (i.e. not racist or mocking the dead, etc).

Moz

Sounds to me like sour grapes from the Liverpool supporters in attendance tonight. We snatched victory at the end and made a mockery of the self appointed 'best supporters in the world'.

Will Absolute

We won? Hooray! Oh Fornasier, i take back all the bad things i said! Well, all i said was that Thorpe should be ahead of him at cb, not so bad really.

On a side note, does Fornasier mean "one who fornicates"?
Fornasier means 'one who forns'. Forn is a kind of fancy embroidery and lacework.

Brightonian

Still enjoying a lingering glow from this. That's the lovely thing about a derby. It doesn't matter if the match was a steaming pile of shite, the win feels just as sweet anyway.

Drainy

anyone else noticed that RAWK have deleted all posts about this game from after kickoff, replacing it with Liverpools official match report and then locked the tread?

Cevno

Haha why would they do that though ? Want to erase it from their memories or something ?

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Haha why would they do that though ? Want to erase it from their memories or something ?
I was reading their thread before it got Big Brother'd. It was filled with accusations of racism and shite.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We gon' tell that winger
We gon' tell that brutha
Pass to Fornasier

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Januzaj surprise surprise was probably our best attacking outlay. He lost the ball a couple times and didn't make great with all his attacks but he was definitely everywhere trying to make things happen in his silky way.

Lingard I thought was decent, made one excellent run that deserved a goal at the back of it.

Schlupp, I don't know what to make of him yet. He definitely has an eye for goal and some pace but it was a hard match for him to get into as the Liverpool team were quite boxed up, in a more open game he might have had more chances. Hopefully we can see him again to see just how prolific he is, not sure if I saw him involved in build up play as I was on/off watching.

Powell has had a bit of unfair criticism in here I'd say. You guys need to bare in mind that he was playing a lot deeper yesterday than he's been used to, in the last games he'd been playing as the furthest up the pitch. As someone else said, I see a Lampard style about him and I think he's better occupying the position a bit further up field. But as I was saying or Quinton in the other thread, players at this level often play in different positions.

Genius Me!

I expect Januzaj to get his first team debut this year. Hopefully we'll be able to wrap up the league with quite a few points spare, of course there's still a long way to go yet but if we do then we shall surely play some of the youngsters and I think he'll be one of the first.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If we win the title early, I'm very confident that Januzaj will get first team chances this season. He has been impressive plus has been working very hard for the reserves unlike Pogba last season who had the "Reserves is beneath me" attitude.

Genius Me!

If we win the title early, I'm very confident that Januzaj will get first team chances this season. He has been impressive plus has been working very hard for the reserves unlike Pogba last season who had the "Reserves is beneath me" attitude.
Yep, and it annoys me when people who don't watch reserves make ignorant comments about Pogba and why he should have been given first team chances after seeing how well he's doing for Juve. Yes that sends a message to the rest of the youngsters, "we reward those who don't work hard".

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Such a dull game, not helped by players treating this match beneath them (Sterling, Suso, Shelvey) and just plain rubbish players like Morgan. Throw in a consistent loose cannon - Sama - and we were complete. Told you we had a weak spine, but you just didn't do enough with it.

If you think Januzaj had a 'good game' then you have lowered your expectations. He played against a makeshift CB (Coady) and a madeshit RB (Roddan). He should have been skipping past them like there was no tomorrow. Couple that with us being a player down for a large part. I only remember one decent run. He is nowhere ready for your first team.

Texeira was good for us, and we dominated for a good part of the second half. But otherwise we deserved to lose, thank God you've signed Cole's son or it could have been worse. No, should have been worse.

Anyway roll on the FA Youth Cup. :)

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Schlupp, I don't know what to make of him yet. He definitely has an eye for goal and some pace but it was a hard match for him to get into as the Liverpool team were quite boxed up, in a more open game he might have had more chances. Hopefully we can see him again to see just how prolific he is, not sure if I saw him involved in build up play as I was on/off watching.
In the highlights he had about 7 chances when he was virtually 1-on-1!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Remember lads, if we win it, then results are not important at this level and if we lose this match, then they've a better youth setup than us.
Such a dull game, not helped by players treating this match beneath them (Sterling, Suso, Shelvey) and just plain rubbish players like Morgan. Throw in a consistent loose cannon - Sama - and we were complete. Told you we had a weak spine, but you just didn't do enough with it.

If you think Januzaj had a 'good game' then you have lowered your expectations. He played against a makeshift CB (Coady) and a madeshit RB (Roddan). He should have been skipping past them like there was no tomorrow. Couple that with us being a player down for a large part. I only remember one decent run. He is nowhere ready for your first team.

Texeira was good for us, and we dominated for a good part of the second half. But otherwise we deserved to lose, thank God you've signed Cole's son or it could have been worse. No, should have been worse.

Anyway roll on the FA Youth Cup. :)
Called it earlier.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Januzaj and Cole look thenonly proper players to me in the United side but two players out a year is decent. Both look like they could play in the PL, Powell hasnt impressed me much though zero work rate
Are you actually serious?

I'm assuming you mean tha game last night rather than overall?

Brightonian

He had a good game by the standards of the match as a whole, which was dire. If we'd played anything like how that line-up normally would, we'd have demolished you. But then to be fair, your lads were also horribly underperforming. It's one of those matches best forgotten now, in a way.

Januzaj is starting to look ready for a glimpse of the first team. This match isn't a good example of his current form, despite what others have said above.

Brightonian

I remain a big fan of Lingard. What say you Brightonian?
Yeah he was probably our best attacking player overall, although he still didn't have a great match. Somehow it seems to have passed me by until now that he's quite fast, though. Won a couple of chases for the ball yesterday that he had no right to.

Also that brilliant pre-season tour he had proves that he could handle the step up. He was consistently outperforming the (admittedly horribly slow-starting) first-teamers in those games.

Cevno

Wasn't Wisdom playing RB for Liverpool ? Roddan was playing LB until the sending off after which Shelvey was shifted there and then Roddan was.

And Wisdom is supposed to a big talent according to Liverpool fans. Same with Coady. Dunno, what Dumbstar is getting at.

Cevno

Lingard is pretty lightweight like Cole. That is why he couldn't adjust on his loan quickly and had to be recalled.

If he had succeeded there like Keane, then it would have been a big boost to his development curve.

Drainy

This match isn't a good example of his current form, despite what others have said above.
This is true, for large parts of the game play was being broken up by sloppy passes, in part due to the extremely crappy pitch, and finicky refereeing. When Januzaj got the ball he was almost always a threat though, more so than any other players on the pitch, and was one of a handful of players who didn't just gift possession away.

In all honesty, the only player who played at a PL level throughout the game for me was Shelvey.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Yeah he was probably our best attacking player overall, although he still didn't have a great match. Somehow it seems to have passed me by until now that he's quite fast, though. Won a couple of chases for the ball yesterday that he had no right to.

Also that brilliant pre-season tour he had proves that he could handle the step up. He was consistently outperforming the (admittedly horribly slow-starting) first-teamers in those games.
Exactly my thoughts to be honest.

Cevno

Coady is a centre mid playing at centre half, not difficult to see why that makes them weaker...
He was probably best of their defenders including Wisdom tbh. Yeah, he makes them weaker but their proper defenders didn't look great so understandable why he was playing there.

Btw, Thorpe moving back to CB gave us more solidity there even compared to Brown.

Drainy

Coady is a centre mid playing at centre half, not difficult to see why that makes them weaker...
He's a defensive midfielder who has often played in central defence. Whenever I've seen Liverpool fans discussing him, his ability to play as a centreback has been seen as a strength. Guess losing to United gets him thrown under the bus.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Lingard is pretty lightweight like Cole. That is why he couldn't adjust on his loan quickly and had to be recalled.

If he had succeeded there like Keane, then it would have been a big boost to his development curve.
He has a very unique passing and running style which is not suited to many clubs...

Cevno

In all honesty, the only player who played at a PL level throughout the game for me was Shelvey.
He gets away by Bullying people at this Level tbh, and it's been the same for a while since i first saw him. When he can't do it to the same degree in the seniors, he get's found out.

Similar might be a case with someone like Tunnicliffe now as he goes onto senior football.

Cevno

He has a very unique passing and running style which is not suited to many clubs...
Yeah, the club needs to play in a certain way and give him a proper position for him to succeed right now, even in the championship.

On another note, what do you see the long term positions of Thorpe and Cole being ?

Thisistheone

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=204689.58200

last post 7:02, then all deleted, replaced with the match report and locked
I see this and think of:

In George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Ministry of Truth is Oceania's propaganda ministry. It is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. The word truth in the title Ministry of Truth should warn, by definition, that the "minister" will self-serve its own "truth"; the title implies the willful fooling of posterity using "historical" archives to show "in fact" what "really" happened

Genius Me!

In the highlights he had about 7 chances when he was virtually 1-on-1!
He had chances alright, but I meant in terms of his overall play. Seeing one on one chances wasn't enough to tell me how good he is based on that one performance. I'd like to see him over a few more games before I make any sort of judgement. He looks like he could be decent though.