U21s: United XI Pre-Season Games

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just checked you are right actually.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
In some ways I'm quite surprised that we haven't brought in any lads from across Europe, but perhaps we've had our fingers burned too much. It's a pleasant surprise though.
We might see a change of that policy now the 90 minute rule has been scrapped.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Pre-Season Friendly
West Lancashire College Stadium

SKELMERSDALE UTD 1
(Wylie 61)

MANCHESTER UTD XI 2
(Wilson 3, Rudge 33)
Attendance: 346

30/07/2013 21:44, Report by C Butler & A Marshall
Page 1 of 2 Next
Skelmersdale 1 United XI 2

James Wilson and Jack Rudge scored the goals as a Manchester United XI triumphed 2-1 at Skelmersdale United in a pre-season friendly.
Nicky Butt's young side were good value for another victory against an Evo-Stik Premier Division team that contained former Reds apprentice Kenny Strickland at right-back.
Wilson took only three minutes to open the scoring by latching onto a through ball and firing a low shot past Zac Hibbert in the home goal. The keeper made a good block to deny Wilson a second when a goal seemed certain before Jack Barmby unleashed a long-range effort that whistled wide.
Skem held their own with some neat close passing as right-winger Matty Hughes impressed with Kevin Leadbetter closest to scoring for them in the first period when lifting his shot over the bar. However, it was 2-0 moments later when Hibbert kept out a Wilson shot but Rudge pounced to tap into an empty net.
Wilson departed the action at half time and Skelmersdale carved out the better chances with Hughes and Joe Holt seeing shots blocked and the same players bringing the best out of Jonny Sutherland soon afterwards. Leadbetter lashed a free-kick over the top as heavy showers poured down and Peter Wylie pulled a goal back from close range after Tom Hardwick headed on a corner.
Substitute Ashley Fletcher lobbed wide before Holt's cross-shot came closest to levelling the scores when it flashed past the far post.
The Reds are also in action on Thursday against Trafford FC at Shawe View.
United: Sutherland; Weir, McNair, Grimshaw, Rowley; Barmby (Harrop 73), Rudge, Pearson, Rothwell, Byrne (Fletcher 63); Wilson (Adarabioyo 46). Subs not used: Love, Henderson, Goss.

KM

Looks like Nicky Butt will lead the team in the U19 Tournament UEFA will be having.

jb8521

Team
Gollini
Evans
Rowley
Love
McConnell
Rudge
Goss
Harrop
Wilson
Fletcher
Adarabioyo

KM

Wilson loves to round the keeper. Such a composed finisher.

jb8521

Rowley, Wilson & Adarabioyo off Weir, Barmby & Byrne on
2-0 Byrne

Brightonian

Wilson looks more like one for the future every day. Like the lovechild of Lewandowski and Owen. He should probably be thought of as up there with the likes of Januzaj, Pearson and Pereira in terms of his chances with us.

Brightonian

Trafford 0 United U21 2

An inexperienced Manchester United line-up proved too strong for Trafford after making the short trip to face the local outfit in a friendly.
It was a lively start from both sides despite the extremely warm and humid conditions with home captain Nia Bayunu's header failing to trouble Pierluigi Gollini as the action went from end to end.
Michael Oates headed a Joe Shaw cross against the bar and it prompted United into creating opportunities of their own with Josh Harrop blasting over and Ashley Fletcher seeing a goal disallowed for offside.
After Andy Smart's free-kick was off target, the deadlock was broken just before the half-hour mark. Wilson always looked a handful for the defenders and he latched onto Fletcher's through ball to supply a trademark rounding of the keeper, Tom Read, to score.
Fletcher and Sean Goss threatened to undo the Trafford defence only for the move to fizzle out as the Reds went into the interval a goal to the good. Harrop again had a shot that was too high and Fletcher also fired over from close range as the Reds threatened to extend the lead.
Byrne duly obliged with a header from fellow substitute Jack Barmby's corner and Barmby almost added a third with four minutes remaining when his low drive fizzed wide.
United: Gollini; C.Evans, Love, McConnell, Rowley (Barmby 59); Adarabioyo (Weir 59), Rudge, Harrop, Goss; Fletcher, Wilson (Byrne 59).

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Wilson seems to be coming along nicely in terms of physical progression. Was that Adar..by.oi.. the fella on trial who played him in?

jb8521

Wilson seems to be coming along nicely in terms of physical progression. Was that Adar..by.oi.. the fella on trial who played him in?
The official site claims its Fletcher but Im fairly sure it is Adarabioyo

Will Absolute

Wilson looks more like one for the future every day. Like the lovechild of Lewandowski and Owen. He should probably be thought of as up there with the likes of Januzaj, Pearson and Pereira in terms of his chances with us.
I've always thought so, but it took him a while to get his form back after his spell out last season.

Brightonian

I've always thought so, but it took him a while to get his form back after his spell out last season.
Really? Seemed about the usual amount of time. He wasn't really back for very long. Anyway, he's obviously back in form now so that injury spell certainly shouldn't have been enough to reduce your opinion of him.

jb8521

Varela starts for the reserves against Ramsbottom tonight
O'Hara, Varela, Rowley, McNair, Grimshaw, Weir, Barmby, Pearson, Byrne, Rothwell, Lawrence
subs Rudge, Love, Adarabioyo

oskarutd

2-2 at half time, Lawrence with both from 2-0 down, first a penalty after he was fouled.

oskarutd

Full time. We won 4-2.

Love and Rudge replaced Varela and Barmby
Adarabioyo then replaced Byrne.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
We don't have the fixture listed on manutd.com but on mutv they've got scheduled a live u21s match against Arsenal at half 6.