U21s: United XI Pre-Season Games

Name Changed

weso26
Definitely. Thought a couple of years ago he had a shot, but he's just not there in terms of ability. Will definitely go on to have a good career though as theres a lot of sides in the Championship that would appreciate his skillset.
Agreed. No chance with us.

oskarutd

Reds travel to Ireland

A Manchester United XI is taking on Waterford United in Ireland on Thursday evening.
Tom Lawrence, who scored the only goal of the game in the impressive win against Club Brugge on Monday, is named in a squad that includes trialist Fisayo Adarabioyo.
The 18-year-old midfielder was formerly with Manchester City and Birmingham City but left the Midlanders in March.
The side is a little short on defenders with the prospect of James Weir potentially performing at full-back but there is plenty of firepower with James Wilson, Sam Byrne and Jack Barmby, who looked sharp when coming on as a substitute against Brugge, making the journey across the Irish Sea.
United: Gollini, Sutherland; Weir, McNair, Love, Rowley; Pereira, Rudge, Rothwell, Adarabioyo; Lawrence, Barmby, Byrne, Wilson.

sorce.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I also had a problem with it, he pushed the guy in the back. I'm not sure what happened before that as I sort of missed what went on but I saw a replay of Pearson's challenge and it didn't look too pretty with his leg flying in the air.

I'll find that replay for you if you comment in the next while.
I lied, there isn't a hope in hell of that happening.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Reds travel to Ireland

A Manchester United XI is taking on Waterford United in Ireland on Thursday evening.
Tom Lawrence, who scored the only goal of the game in the impressive win against Club Brugge on Monday, is named in a squad that includes trialist Fisayo Adarabioyo.
The 18-year-old midfielder was formerly with Manchester City and Birmingham City but left the Midlanders in March.
The side is a little short on defenders with the prospect of James Weir potentially performing at full-back but there is plenty of firepower with James Wilson, Sam Byrne and Jack Barmby, who looked sharp when coming on as a substitute against Brugge, making the journey across the Irish Sea.
United: Gollini, Sutherland; Weir, McNair, Love, Rowley; Pereira, Rudge, Rothwell, Adarabioyo; Lawrence, Barmby, Byrne, Wilson.

sorce.

Excellent name.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Reds travel to Ireland

sorce.
Seems like a bit of a thin squad, anyone remember which forwards played wide most often last season?
Gollini​
Love Rothwell McNair Rowley​
Rudge Pereira​
Wilson Barmby Weir​
Lawrence​
Maybe? That would leave Sutherland, Adarabioyo and Byrne as the only subs, so surely more players will make the trip.​

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I remember Barmby drifting wide and certainly Lawrence for a few reserve games. Would love to see​

Gollini
Love Rothwell McNair Rowley
Rudge Weir
Lawrence Perreira Barmby
Wilson

Joemo

whistling in the wind
No stream available I take it? I can't find it on my First choice of streams.

jeston

Olatayo? I thought the trialist bloke was called fisayo adarabioyo

oskarutd

73' - Goal -
WHAT A HIT. Conor Whittle scores for Waterford United. The right back picks up possession 30-yards from goal and unleashes an upstoppable strike into the top right corner of Sutherlands' goal. Goal of the game so far

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Friendly, Waterford Regional Sports Centre

WATERFORD UNITED 1
(Whittle 73)

MANCHESTER UNITED XI 2
(Wilson 36, Barmby 51)

18/07/2013 21:31, Report by Brendan White
Waterford 1 United XI 2

A Manchester United XI posted a 2-1 victory at Waterford United courtesy of goals from James Wilson and Jack Barmby.

The forwards struck either side of half time to ensure Conor Whittle's rocket strike was no more than a consolation for the hosts as Nicky Butt took charge of the young side.

Wilson opened his account for the campaign with a sweet finish after his initial attempt by keeper Chip Sanders while Barmby's effort followed a neat dribble past a couple of defenders. Whittle blasted a 30-yarder past Jonny Sutherland but the visitors were good value for the win.

In front of 2,830 fans, the Reds started the game brighter with Andreas Pereira looking most likely to cause problems. Tom Lawrence could have opened the scoring minutes after kick-off when cutting in from the left but Waterford defender David Breen made an important block.

Pereira continued to trouble Waterford and he forced keeper Sanders into a great save after 13 minutes, dancing his way past the challenges of three Waterford players before unleashing a strike towards goal. Sanders was alert though, and pushed the ball to his left away from the goal.

Ben Ryan almost gave the home side the lead five minutes later. Donald Love fouled Conor Coad on the edge of the penalty area but Ryan’s free kick grazed the top of the bar on its way over. United went down the other end almost instantaneously and struck the bar themselves. Wilson let fly from 25 yards but saw his effort strike the bar, before seeing his follow-up saved by keeper Sanders.

United deservedly notched the opening goal when Wilson finally got the better of Sanders after seeing his initial effort saved, he made no mistake with his second attempt; curling the ball into the top left corner away from the dive of Sanders.
Coad almost levelled for Waterford on the stroke of half time, but Pierluigi Gollini got a touch to force it over the crossbar, only for the Reds to double the lead just six minutes into the second half through Barmby. The son of ex-England star Nick dribbled around two challenges in the Waterford penalty area, held off defender David Breen and superbly fired across goal past Craig Hyland into the back of the net.

Both teams mad changes throughout the second period which affected the tempo before Waterford got back into the game. Substitute right-back Whittle advanced unchallenged down the right before unleashing an unstoppable strike past Sutherland.
Joe Rothwell almost made it 3-1 within minutes when he latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box, but Blues keeper Hyland touched over his brilliantly curled effort. With ten minutes to go, the home side should have levelled. Philip Drohan drove down the left and forced Sutherland into a good save. The ball broke to Peter Higgins, 12 yards from goal, but he scuffed his shot across the penalty area with the goal at his mercy.

Love went close to adding another with five minutes to go but Whittle got the vital clearance on the line, before Sam Byrne almost got on the scoresheet minutes later but his header went over the crossbar.

United: Gollini (Sutherland 46); Weir, Rowley, McNair, Love; Barmby, Rudge, Pereira, Rothwell, Lawrence (Byrne 60); Wilson (Adarabioyo 60).

Minkaro

Scottish test for Reds XI

United have named a provisional 17-man squad for Saturday's friendly at Ross County.
Federico Macheda could lead the line again as Warren Joyce has similar personnel at his disposal to those on duty in Monday's victory against Club Brugge.

Tom Lawrence, James Wilson, Andreas Pereira and Jack Barmby are also in contention for places despite featuring in the 2-1 success in Waterford on Thursday night. 17-year-old keeper Joel Castro Pereira is set to act as cover for Sam Johnstone.
There could still be alterations to the travelling party for the match at the revamped Victoria Park.

Squad: Sam Johnstone, Joel Castro Pereira; Liam Grimshaw, Tom Thorpe, Scott Wootton, Marnick Vermijl; Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Andreas Pereira, Charni Ekangamene, Ben Pearson, Davide Petrucci; James Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Bebe, Federico Macheda, Jack Barmby.

Brightonian

I see the same pattern of game though. They'll all start, and we won't be able to keep the ball well enough to play good football. Then they'll come off for the youngsters, and we'll improve dramatically.

(Although I would have Tunnicliffe on my list, not Petrucci.)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
This game should be about over...any updates?

Scottish test for Reds XI

United have named a provisional 17-man squad for Saturday's friendly at Ross County.
Federico Macheda could lead the line again as Warren Joyce has similar personnel at his disposal to those on duty in Monday's victory against Club Brugge.
Tom Lawrence, James Wilson, Andreas Pereira and Jack Barmby are also in contention for places despite featuring in the 2-1 success in Waterford on Thursday night. 17-year-old keeper Joel Castro Pereira is set to act as cover for Sam Johnstone.
There could still be alterations to the travelling party for the match at the revamped Victoria Park.
Squad: Sam Johnstone, Joel Castro Pereira; Liam Grimshaw, Tom Thorpe, Scott Wootton, Marnick Vermijl; Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Andreas Pereira, Charni Ekangamene, Ben Pearson, Davide Petrucci; James Wilson, Tom Lawrence, Bebe, Federico Macheda, Jack Barmby.

jeston

Finished 2-2. Goals from Petrucci & Tunnicliffe according to twitter

dr.twinny

According to County's twitter feed, the game ended 2-2. Petrucci (36th min) and Tunnicliffe (65th min) with the goals for us.

This was the starting lineup.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Pre-Season Friendly
Global Energy Stadium, Dingwall

ROSS COUNTY 2
(Luckassen 5, Cooper 57)
MANCHESTER UNITED XI 2
(Petrucci 35, Tunnicliffe 64)

20/07/2013 17:37, Report by Ian Davidson, A Bostock
Ross County 2 United XI 2

A young Manchester United XI had to come from behind twice on Saturday to secure a share of the spoils away to Scottish Premier League side Ross County.

Davide Petrucci and Ryan Tunnicliffe scored in each half as the Reds cancelled out goals from County's Kevin Luckassen and Alex Cooper in front of 4,400 fans at the Global Energy Stadium, formerly known as Victoria Park.

The most northerly team in the Scottish Premier League, County adapted quickest to the unusually hot conditions, taking the lead through Luckassen's driven shot after just five minutes. Bebe came close to a rapid response for United, however, when he cut inside and unleashed a shot that smashed against the underside of the crossbar.

The Reds were therefore to made a wait a further 20 minutes or so before getting back on level terms, Petrucci powering a free-kick past County keeper Mark Brown from 25 yards out.

The Italian goalscorer was instrumental when United approved as an attacking force in the second period, although it was the hosts who again edged in front when substitute Cooper swivelled inside the area to beat Sam Johnstone in the 57th minute.

Seven minutes later, the Reds equalised for the second time when Tunnicliffe combined well with Federico Macheda before converting a close-range opportunity.

That proved to be the end of the scoring, partly because Johnstone was on his toes to prevent Dutch forward Luckassen and also Switzerland-born full-back Mihael Kovacevic snatching a late winner for the Staggies.

Honours were therefore even after an entertaining contest, in which the young Reds looked sharp and County gained momentum ahead of their league season opener away to Scottish champions Celtic in a fortnight's time.

United: Sam Johnstone; Marnick Vermijl, Tom Thorpe, Scott Wootton, Charni Ekangamene (Tom Lawrence, 35); Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Ben Pearson, Davide Petrucci, Bebe (Liam Grimshaw, 60); Federico Macheda (James Wilson, 82). Subs not used: Joel Pereira, Jack Barmby, Andreas Pereira.

jeston

#MUFC vs Chorley: Gollini, Weir, Rowley, McNair, Grimshaw, Rudge, Perierra, Rothwell, Wilson, Lawrence, Barmby

Subs: Sutherland, Byrne, Love, Fizz, Crackle, Pop

jeston

HT - United 1-0 up. Rowley capitalises after keeper spills a Lawrence shot. Gollini saved a pen after 5 mins too