U23s: Manchester City vs Manchester United

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
At Etihad stadium
Kick off at 7pm BST
Live on MUTV

Joyce is seeking a new permanent captain after James Weir was sold to Hull City, with Sean Goss a contender after taking on the armband in the Lancashire Senior Cup tie against Oldham Athletic. The squad also lost the services of two goalkeepers on deadline day when Dean Henderson (Grimsby Town) and Joel Castro Pereira (Belenenses) departed on loan.

There is the possibility of promoting from the Academy squad again to help plug any gaps but Zak Dearnley and Callum Gribbin have been unavailable due to injury.

"A couple of the older Under-18 players have got injured," Joyce told ManUtd.com. "The Under-18s sometimes need bedding in and the new lads at that level have got to know how the club works, how we are going to play and adjusting to full-time training. It's difficult for young players but those things probably compound our kind of selection problems.

"Our job is to develop players for the first team or move them on but we've been victims of our own success a little bit with a squad mainly made up of midfield players. We have Joe Riley at left-back but he was a right-winger and nearly everybody else is a central midfielder. There aren't really many wide players, forwards, full-backs or left-sided players."

Sadiq El Fitouri could be involved against his former club and there will be a hope that the young players who were away on international duty have returned unscathed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's a bit of a shambles, isn't it? Losing Rashford is the only real "victim of our own success". Should we maybe have put a bit more thought into rounding out our underage squad over the past couple of years? Wonder if it's because it took so long to give Butt his current job?

Nickosaur

As promising as our u18s are looking, the u23s don't really inspire me. Very unbalanced squad.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's a bit of a shambles, isn't it? Losing Rashford is the only real "victim of our own success". Should we maybe have put a bit more thought into rounding out our underage squad over the past couple of years? Wonder if it's because it took so long to give Butt his current job?
Love, McNair, Ashley Fletcher, Januzaj, Pereira, BoJack and Wilson are all players that could be playing for that team age-wise but have outgrown it talent wise like Rashford.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Love, McNair, Ashley Fletcher, Januzaj, Pereira, BoJack and Wilson are all players that could be playing for that team age-wise but have outgrown it talent wise like Rashford.
Three of those players you mention have been sold. Which is kind of my point. If you sell or loan all your strikers and wide players, without anyone at the club in the same positions then you end up with the kind of imbalance Joyce is talking about. Playing in a team like that won't do any of the lads any favours.

EDIT: I see what you mean, though. Joyce has a point about being victims of our own success.

khoazany

Doesn't Tuanzabe pretty much strictly train with the first team?
He trained a lot with them but hasn't been promoted full time.Being captain would only do him good.

Wonder if Harrop and Mitchell are fit.We would be fecked without both of them.

Starting XI prediction: Johnstone - ElFitouri, Tuanzebe, Williams, Riley - Poole, Redmond, McTominay - Willock, Mitchell, Kehinde.

Subs: Doughty, O'Hara, Osolunde, Whelan, Buffonge

ariel

considering our last captains were Petrucci, Thorpe, Reece James and Weir, I would imagine being captain isn't something the players wish to be...

Member 104911

Maybe playing Depay would be a good idea, could use some games which may give him more confidence, a player like him would really help the 23s and he's still eligible (which is ridiculous)

George Beast

Fosu mensah could surely use some game time here ?
First team plays Feyenoord and Northampton away within the next two weeks. If TFM doesn't get any time in these two games then you seriously have to question the clubs handling of him. No game time in months when he's at a crucial developmental stage in his career.

WhoDaGOAT

Maybe playing Depay would be a good idea, could use some games which may give him more confidence, a player like him would really help the 23s and he's still eligible (which is ridiculous)
I would expect him to start and hopefully excel against Feyenoord. He should know them well and he's always had a good record in European competitions.

60 minutes tonight wouldn't hurt.

Leonard17

I would expect him to start and hopefully excel against Feyenoord. He should know them well and he's always had a good record in European competitions.

60 minutes tonight wouldn't hurt.
Then he wouldn't be available for tomorrow, which he should be off the bench. The way City play the counter attack will be important and his pace can be utilised.

WhoDaGOAT

Then he wouldn't be available for tomorrow, which he should be off the bench. The way City play the counter attack will be important and his pace can be utilised.
Hopefully Martial plays well and he won't be required.

Member 104911

The u18s have a game tomorrow, which he's needed if we want to keep momentum.
That shouldn't be the reason why he needs to stay in the 18s, the reason should be that he's either not ready yet or that he wouldn't get game time in the 23s. I don't really care about 18s results, sure good results are nice but it's the performance and development of players that matters.

I'm by the way not saying that he should be in the 23s tonight, it's for the coaches to decide if he's ready or not and they'll know what's best for him.

khoazany

Any chance that we see Gomes on the bench @khoazany ?

4 goals and 3 assists in 3(1) games kind of says that he is pissing on the U18s.
Considering the U18s plays tomorrow, I wouldn't.Think we might even end up with some U16s on the bench on this.

A full game for the U18s would be more beneficial for him at this stage than a few minutes for the U23s.

Leonard17

That shouldn't be the reason why he needs to stay in the 18s, the reason should be that he's either not ready yet or that he wouldn't get game time in the 23s. I don't really care about 18s results, sure good results are nice but it's the performance and development of players that matters.

I'm by the way not saying that he should be in the 23s tonight, it's for the coaches to decide if he's ready or not and they'll know what's best for him.
His development is better served in the u18s for now, only just turned 16, there shouldn't be a rush. We also don't know what kind of team we're gonna put out tomorrow, players might play today and we have a never ending injury crisis. He's one of the leaders of that team, rather than a peripheral player for the u23's.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
What's the ages of your players at this level? City's are incredibly young this year. Most are 18 or 19.

khoazany

What's the ages of your players at this level? City's are incredibly young this year. Most are 18 or 19.
Normal age.Some 18.Some 19.Some 20.Johnstone and El-Fitouri the oldest.Probably a young bench today since we have an U18s match tomorrow.

Dazzmondo

EFL cup match is on 21st and the EL match is on 15th. He should play atleast an hour today if not more.
Mourinho seems more interested in keeping him and Rashford training with the first team. That's why Tuanzebe's not training with the first team because he will be playing consistently with the u23s. I would like to see TFM play for the u23s today but I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

Johnstone (23) - ElFitouri (21), Tuanzebe (18), Williams (18), Riley (19) - Poole (18), Redmond (19), McTominay (19) - Willock (20), Mitchell (19), Kehinde (18).

Ro-Shaun Williams has only turned 18 this month though so he's very young. For the most part the ages are the same.

EDIT: Harrop (21), Scott (19)

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

Only really interested in Tuanzebe from that team. Shame Ro-Shaun isn't playing. I assume he'll be playing tomorrow for the u18s. Think highlights will do. Might watch first half to see what City's youth look like.

dichinero

Only really interested in Tuanzebe from that team. Shame Ro-Shaun isn't playing. I assume he'll be playing tomorrow for the u18s. Think highlights will do. Might watch first half to see what City's youth look like.
Is he even fit at all? Williams I mean.

Dazzmondo

Anyone in the City u23s that are supposed to be very good? I've heard a lot of good things about Paulo Fernandes but apart from that I don't know much about them.