g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

UAP - Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
So aliens who have the ability and technology to travel millions of light years to visit then crash when they get here………
seems plausible they would be that incompetent with the parallel parking
Just Stop Oil shut down the refueling depot, all the orange confetti confused them

Ibi Dreams

This recent development is admittedly interesting, but I'm not sure how it's that different to previous claims. Ultimately it's still all talk and no actual evidence

Wittmann45

Is there an explanation for the "Tic Tac" video?
I think there are some explanations that involve misidentification of a jet in the distance combined with some sort of camera movement/switching camera modes. I am not sure of the validity of such a claim. I think the one that has been pretty thoroughly debunked is the "Go Fast" video - the object was not, in fact, going all that fast. Likely it was some sort of pilot error or misidentification.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
IMO it's absurd to just assume that JWST is going to discover alien life - particularly since there's no reason why one of our other many, many telescopes couldn't have seen it if it was out there and possible for us to find in the first place. But it's even more absurd to say that it would "hardly be a shock". It would be the biggest news story ever.
The spectroscopy capability of JWST is better than other telescopes so it could obviously analyse exo planetary atmospheres

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think the lack of a reaction is because this is still just a few guys saying they are right. I mean Grusch had two known bullshitters sitting behind him the whole time, it doesn't really add much credence. The other two witnesses didn't reveal any groundbreaking revelations either.

dinostar77

I think the lack of a reaction is because this is still just a few guys saying they are right. I mean Grusch had two known bullshitters sitting behind him the whole time, it doesn't really add much credence. The other two witnesses didn't reveal any groundbreaking revelations either.
Whats the issue with george knapp and jeremy corbell?

dinostar77

Is there an explanation for the "Tic Tac" video?
No thats why Cmdr David Fravour was giving testimony. As he said in his testimony yesterday the battle group had caught multiple of these things on radar for 2 weeks. Its only when they had craft in the area did they go have a look i.e. fravour and the other 2 man crew in the other plane.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Is this true? I was sure we'd analyzed the atmospheric compositions of exoplanets through observing light passing through it in the past. I remember at least one time when there was a debate whether or not something was an indication of life or not, which I'm sure happened before they finally launched JWST.
Only gas giants and ice giants. I just had a look and there’s one super Earth but it’s too close to its star for life as we know it.

I don’t recall the potential bio marker on an exoplanet, though. Would be interested to read?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
James Webb is making all sorts of discoveries because its the most powerful space telescope we've ever built and as it looks in infra-red it cuts out alot of the crap that gets in the way of visible light, its not impossible that eventually such a discovery would be made. Yeah it would be a shock to some people, but to many others not so much. The millenial generation onwards, dont see any issue with our galaxy being full of sentient life? Why because thats the narritive that tv and movies are selling.

So they discover a planet that harbours sentient life 30,000 light years from us. So what? We cant talk to them. We cant visit them. We wouldnt know anything about them or their culture. Give it a week or so and people will move onto other news and other stuff. If you ever wanted to "officially" break the news to our planet that we arent alone in the universe, doing it via James Webb would be the safest and most sensible way.
The point is that determining there is another world with life opens up the possibility of life being very common. As at the moment we know of just one world, ours.
It would fundamentally change our place in the universe. Sure some won't care but who cares about them

dinostar77

The point is that determining there is another world with life opens up the possibility of life being very common. As at the moment we know of just one world, ours.
It would fundamentally change our place in the universe. Sure some won't care but who cares about them
Statistically it should be very common, even using the most minimal numbers for the drake equation (its not perfect i know but its what we have). Suggests somewhere in the region of 50,000 sentient civilisations in milky way. Which sounds alot, but if you cosider the estimated number of stars is somewhere between 100 billion to 400 billion in the milky way alone, its a tiny amount i.e 50,000.

I think my point last night was that JWST would be a safe way to tell people without causing panic. Which is what the Brookings report NASA commissioned in the last 1950s suggested. Yes it would have profound implications for our place in the universe, but unfortuntely there will be many who dont care and are more interested in what kim kardasian had for breakfast.

dinostar77

Only gas giants and ice giants. I just had a look and there’s one super Earth but it’s too close to its star for life as we know it.

I don’t recall the potential bio marker on an exoplanet, though. Would be interested to read?
"...When the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launches in December this year, it will surpass Hubble as the world’s premier space telescope. It will provide us key new insights into our own solar system, as well as distant worlds around other stars (Pulliam, 2020; Gialluca et al., 2021). One of JWST’s research targets is TRAPPIST-1, an exoplanet system of seven earth-sized rocky planets around an ultra-cool dwarf star (i.e. a dwarf star with an effective temperature of less than 2700K, which is approximately 4400 °F) (Pulliam, 2020; NASA, 2021). Three of these planets are within the habitable zone of the system’s star — the zone within which planetary surface temperatures are capable of sustaining liquid water (NASA, 2017).

However, being in the habitable zone alone does not mean these planets are capable of sustaining life. That is dependent on several indicators — called “biomarkers” in astronomy (Fraknoi et al., 2016). The most important of these biomarkers is the composition of their atmospheres (if they have atmospheres), which would need to have significant quantities of methane, oxygen, water vapor, carbon dioxide, and other gases in similar proportions to those observed on earth (Gialluca et al., 2021).

Finding these atmospheric biomarkers is one of the tasks JWST will try to accomplish. The nearest potentially habitable planets, however, are tens of light years away, even from where JWST will be stationed. So how will we analyze their atmospheres?

The answer lies in the stars – literally. When a planet is between our observation point and the exoplanet system’s host star, we can use sensitive telescopes to detect how much of the star’s light is blocked by the planet and its atmosphere before it reaches us. The proportion by which the light dips is called the transit depth and will differ by wavelength, since gaseous elements each selectively absorb certain wavelengths of light more than others. Using a specialized telescope called a spectrometer telescope, we can analyze light by wavelength to see which signals are lacking compared to when the star is not being transited (Fraknoi et al., 2016). Therefore, we can tell which kinds of gases are most likely prevalent in the atmosphere. This technique is called transit spectroscopy..."

https://sites.dartmouth.edu/dujs/2021/11/07/how-jwst-will-find-habitable-planets-outside-the-solar-system/#:~:text=The most important of these,et al., 2021).

stevoc

If beings out there were within travelling distance, abiding with our current understand of physics, we would have already detected them through radio signals. The fact that we haven't suggests they aren't. Suggesting that they are but have advanced beyond our level of physics is unsubstantiated conjecture and falls foul of what we have observed to date in the 70 or so years listening to the skies. Even if we can't detect a more advance species now we would still be able to pick up the signals they were making historically, due to the distances involved.
When you say radio signals do you mean actual Radio signals or other technology that would produce interference that could be detected as radio signals?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Statistically it should be very common, even using the most minimal numbers for the drake equation (its not perfect i know but its what we have). Suggests somewhere in the region of 50,000 sentient civilisations in milky way. Which sounds alot, but if you cosider the estimated number of stars is somewhere between 100 billion to 400 billion in the milky way alone, its a tiny amount i.e 50,000.

I think my point last night was that JWST would be a safe way to tell people without causing panic. Which is what the Brookings report NASA commissioned in the last 1950s suggested. Yes it would have profound implications for our place in the universe, but unfortuntely there will be many who dont care and are more interested in what kim kardasian had for breakfast.
Saying it should be statistically common and citing the Drake equation is missing the point.
We know of one planet with life, we could be the only one to have life, its possible and all we know for definite right now. Even the discovery of fossilised microbial life on Mars for example would change everything! We would know for a fact that life hadn't just happened on earth, opening up the entire universe to that statistical likelihood.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think there are some explanations that involve misidentification of a jet in the distance combined with some sort of camera movement/switching camera modes. I am not sure of the validity of such a claim. I think the one that has been pretty thoroughly debunked is the "Go Fast" video - the object was not, in fact, going all that fast. Likely it was some sort of pilot error or misidentification.
Yep. And that last one is a good argument against the "but these guys are professionals, don't you think they know their own instruments?" They're still just people, and they make mistakes.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
When you say radio signals do you mean actual Radio signals or other technology that would produce interference that could be detected as radio signals?
Radio is just a specific section in the wavelength of light. Every celestial body has a different radio signature, so if another species were within detectable range (so much so they could travel here) we would read anomalous radio signals from their location, which differ from background signals, as can be done if we put a satellite around an exoplanet to listen to Earth, since the advent of radio transmission.

A good example of this is the 'Wow!' signal.

Macern

Pee pee pants
There's never been a single UFO video which hasn't had multiple reasonable explanations. "It's a weather balloon" is a meme at this point, but a lot of them are. Or insects flying close to the camera. Or planes in the distance (this was the case for one of the ones a while back where the government apparently "couldn't explain it". Once released it took people all of a day or two to conclusively prove that it was just a plane in the distance). Or they're just plain faked to begin with (most aren't, and they're usually very easy to prove fake for visual effects people).
Explain this then

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/us/pentagon-ufo-videos.html

Edit:

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
That's paywalled, but based on the date I assume it's some of these "famous" ones:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-and-i-dont-believe-the-alien-hype-heres-why

Edit: The last video in there is actually a great example, because it proves that even highly trained professionals can't be relied on as eye-witnesses. Navy pilots are undeniably experts in using their own instruments, but even they are prone to misunderstanding what the instruments are actually showing. They think something is moving extremely fast right at sea level and react in an understandable way, since that would be an extraordinary thing (at the very least some kind of drone). But they're provably wrong, and it's not that low or going that fast. That doesn't make them dupes, just people.

Last edited:

Andersonson

Americans are obsessed with stuff like this. There's never any real evidence and every photo is more blurred than the other. Even in 2023.

Bigfoot, UFO, ghosts, god etc.

Crazy people

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The default setting for anything is non-existent until proven otherwise.

luke511

That's paywalled, but based on the date I assume it's some of these "famous" ones:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-and-i-dont-believe-the-alien-hype-heres-why

Edit: The last video in there is actually a great example, because it proves that even highly trained professionals can't be relied on as eye-witnesses. Navy pilots are undeniably experts in using their own instruments, but even they are prone to misunderstanding what the instruments are actually showing. They think something is moving extremely fast right at sea level and react in an understandable way, since that would be an extraordinary thing (at the very least some kind of drone). But they're provably wrong, and it's not that low or going that fast. That doesn't make them dupes, just people.
There's been plenty of cases where pilots have seen/experienced objects backed up by radar, as shown in this report - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIyprY7ynfp_qAdBOFt7t8GPJhvSruc8/view

Are the hundreds/thousands of pilots over the years all making the same mistakes? Even when there's radar evidence to back up their claims?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
These threads show so well how political misinformation can be so effective. A few blurry pictures and videos are enough to have some people believe there’s actual aliens flying around in the sky.

stevoc

Radio is just a specific section in the wavelength of light. Every celestial body has a different radio signature, so if another species were within detectable range (so much so they could travel here) we would read anomalous radio signals from their location, which differ from background signals, as can be done if we put a satellite around an exoplanet to listen to Earth, since the advent of radio transmission.

A good example of this is the 'Wow!' signal.
Right interesting stuff cheers.

luke511

Something like 90 % of UFO sightings are in the US though.
46% of them are in the US in the pilot report I posted above. It seems to gravitate more towards areas where military and nuclear advancements are involved, so activity in the US makes sense there.

nimic

something nice
Scout
There's been plenty of cases where pilots have seen/experienced objects backed up by radar, as shown in this report - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIyprY7ynfp_qAdBOFt7t8GPJhvSruc8/view

Are the hundreds/thousands of pilots over the years all making the same mistakes? Even when there's radar evidence to back up their claims?
Many of them, sure. Some may very well have seen some new secret weapons program. What's the alternative? Unless you think there have been literally thousands of legit sightings of actual aliens (meaning the aliens are sloppy enough to be seen by all these pilots, but clever enough to never be captured reliably on camera by several sources at once), then even if you think some of them might be aliens you have to also believe that most of those are either mistakes or human technology. I'm just assuming a few more of them are that than you are.

UpWithRivers

What I never understood that no one mentions is how the fk do mega advanced aliens with technology that defies our understanding of physics, break the speed of light to get here in super advanced craft and then crash in the fkn desert? Just run out of plasma? And not only that they just leave their aliens brothers to get dissected in Area 51 by monkeys. No rescue. Nothing. And if they are so advanced why even zoom around so close for us monkeys to see them? We can see a shit load from space right now. These aliens should be able to watch a live feed in VR from light years away. Or at least just out of orbit and be undetected. The only explanation is a) its a lie or b) that they are doing it on purpose. And in that case. Why? What sort of fkd up crazy arsehole aliens are these? Make that make sense someone!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What I never understood that no one mentions is how the fk do mega advanced aliens with technology that defies our understanding of physics, break the speed of light to get here in super advanced craft and then crash in the fkn desert? Just run out of plasma? And not only that they just leave their aliens brothers to get dissected in Area 51 by monkeys. No rescue. Nothing. And if they are so advanced why even zoom around so close for us monkeys to see them? We can see a shit load from space right now. These aliens should be able to watch a live feed in VR from light years away. Or at least just out of orbit and be undetected. The only explanation is a) its a lie or b) that they are doing it on purpose. And in that case. Why? What sort of fkd up crazy arsehole aliens are these? Make that make sense someone!
Why do we persist on going to the moon when we can see it through a telescope?

Why does our technology still break down even through years of advancement?

luke511

Many of them, sure. Some may very well have seen some new secret weapons program. What's the alternative? Unless you think there have been literally thousands of legit sightings of actual aliens (meaning the aliens are sloppy enough to be seen by all these pilots, but clever enough to never be captured reliably on camera by several sources at once), then even if you think some of them might be aliens you have to also believe that most of those are either mistakes or human technology. I'm just assuming a few more of them are that than you are.
I think there’s a possibility that we’re being monitored by extra terrestrial unmanned probes, a form of highly advanced AI perhaps. Close enough to study us but far away enough for it to not disturb our natural evolution. A lot of sightings aren’t it but there are enough strong cases now to really consider the possibility, backed up by radar, videos and images.

There’s a hell of lot of stuff that’s been locked away over the years, and there’s proof of this as well. Pilots have testified that they’ve had evidence confiscated, and some have shown the radar evidence they managed to keep hold of to back up their claims.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here and try not to come across like a straight up UFO believer. But is anybody claiming they crash into the desert? I've heard of the Roswell incident and that's it. But it could also be possible that they get shot down by our defences, no?

Macern

Pee pee pants

What the hell, I was able to watch the video when I posted it but now it's behind a paywall. Anyway, updated the post with a youtube video showing the same.

What's intriguing is how some of the objects seem to move around without seemingly any inertia or doesn't seem affected by say the winds etc when turning/moving. Also, doesn't make sense for something like an airplane which uses a classic fuel-burning propulsion system to be able to turn like that. Definitely not easily explainable.

Andy_Cole

I’m going to sound like a loon. But I swear I saw a load of UFOs in Tanzania when I was 6. It was nothing like I’ve ever seen. It was a long bus drive though so I could’ve been half asleep. But seen as I still remember this 30 years later. My mum said it was probably just stars. But they were massive. First time I’ve brought it up since that day.

Oranges038

That's because the world's governments, illuminated people and of course, big drilling have been covering it up for decades.
I dunno, your theory sounds an awful lot like that movie, journey to the centre of the earth.

Macern

Pee pee pants

Here's a loong video but worth watching. It's incredibly interesting. Not saying I necessarily believe the guy, but I mean who knows. Impossible to make any conclusions really.

Wittmann45

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here and try not to come across like a straight up UFO believer. But is anybody claiming they crash into the desert? I've heard of the Roswell incident and that's it. But it could also be possible that they get shot down by our defences, no?
In terms of the recent news, yes, there are claims to crashed vehicles in the desert. One of the people giving testimony to the US Congress claimed that there are entire programs for recovery of extraterrestrial craft - implying that there have been multiple crashes. I can't remember, but I think he claimed first and second/third hand knowledge of a crash in a desert and one in Italy during Mussolini's reign.

Some of the stuff said yesterday was really interesting and then the guy drops a bomb that just makes him look like an absolute loon

UpWithRivers

Why do we persist on going to the moon when we can see it through a telescope?

Why does our technology still break down even through years of advancement?
We went to the moon to get samples and do tests etc. Plus it isn't inhabited. If it was we wouldn't build billion dollar space craft go all the way there then crash into it. We would stay in orbit. Plus the technology we have to get to the moon isnt at the same level. Its just not the same. Its like us investigating monkeys in a field but we keep flying planes over them and crashing and leaving the pilots to fend for themselves. Just use a drone or study them from space.