UEFA Champions League 18/19 Matchday 3 fixtures (23d - 24th October 2018)

Fenomeno9

From what I have seen, Liverpool-Napoli-PSG won't win the Champions League
I don’t think you can really draw conclusions from the group stage. This isn’t a cake walk group for either of those teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t know how Brazilian coaches have ignored him for so long but it’s looks like Tite might finally do it.
Please no. We're looking for italian grandparents for him :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wow. PSG and Napoli now both big favourites to go through there.
How do you work that one out? didn't Napoli drop points vs the bottom team and Liverpool already beat PSG?

Pagh Wraith

What? Liverpool are big favourites now.

Liverpool and Napoli were the favourites after the draw and I expect them to go through now. Both better than PSG.

Kapardin

As of now, it's really hard to say which of the three will go through. Liverpool need to match Napoli's result in Paris, while Napoli could regret dropping points to Red Star in their opening game. PSG are no certs to qualify either as they have to play Napoli away as well.

Inigo

Atletico does not deserve to lose this game to be honest. This is a very even high level game that normally would have draw written all over it. We were just a bit luckier in front of the goal. 3-0 is an incredibly flattering score line.
We must have been watching different games. Atleti looked very strong for 20 mins after the break. The rest of the match Dortmund were a level above.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm so envious of Dortmund. They are run so damned well and on a piss poor budget compared to most big clubs.
They had an underwhelming season last year though. But yeah, exciting times now.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What a performance! Absolutely brilliant, doesn't top the 4-1 against Real but comes bloody close. A fantastic performance from back to front, A.Madrid may have hit the post twice but one was from a brilliant long range effort and the other should've been a simple save for Burki; the defence was absolutely superb. Add to that 4 goals against one of the best defenses in Europe, amazing stuff.

Everything clicked, no one put in a bad performance really. Working hard and creating speedy attacks that cut open Madrid multiple times. Hakimi looks like a fantastic prospect (sadly, one for Real though and not Dortmund :lol:), ran up and down the pitch.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well the draw at home isn't a good result but that will do considering the scenario. 2nd half was lower quality compared to the first.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Really? I'd say PSG are in a really precarious position, away to Napoli next which on tonight's result they could easily loose and I wouldn't bet against Liverpool beating them again either

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
As of now, it's really hard to say which of the three will go through. Liverpool need to match Napoli's result in Paris, while Napoli could regret dropping points to Red Star in their opening game. PSG are no certs to qualify either as they have to play Napoli away as well.
We don’t necessarily need to match their result. If we win our next game and PSG wins in Napoli, we only need to not lose against Napoli at home and the game in PSG won’t matter anymore.

Even then, I consider us the best team in the group at the moment so there should be no excuses not to go through.

CA1

Huh? If Liverpool pick up a single point against PSG or Napoli they're through.
Nah.
Napoli PSG draw in Naples
Liverpool win in Serbia
PSG best Liverpool in Paris
Napoli beat Red Star at home

They're the 4 most likely results IMO

Napoli 9
Liverpool 9
Paris 8

Going in to the final game, Liverpool would need to beat Napoli. I don't think they would.

Treble

Huh? If Liverpool pick up a single point against PSG or Napoli they're through.
Only if the point is in Paris. Otherwise, it might not be enough and the might finish 3rd on GD.

CA1

Only if the point is in Paris. Otherwise, it might not be enough and the might finish 3rd on GD.
It's head to head and Napoli beat them so they'd have to beat them.

If Napoli and PSG draw in Naples, I'm betting on Liverpool to win the Europa League, put it that way.

Treble

If Napoli and PSG draw in Naples, I'm betting on Liverpool to win the Europa League, put it that way.
Not sure they will beat all of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs though.

Nick7

Nah.
Liverpool win in Serbia

Napoli 9
Liverpool 9
Paris 8

Going in to the final game, Liverpool would need to beat Napoli. I don't think they would.
I could easily see both Napoli and Liverpool beating PSG.

Pagh Wraith

What are you on about? PSG have a mountain to climb. They got a lifeline by Di Maria's equaliser but should have lost and are the weakest team of the three.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Well the draw at home isn't a good result but that will do considering the scenario. 2nd half was lower quality compared to the first.
How do you like Tuchel till now? Disappointed with his UCL performances?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nah.
Liverpool win in Serbia

Napoli 9
Liverpool 9
Paris 8

PSG will lose in Naples

Treble

Red Star are the worst team in the competition this year. Still, if they are very lucky, they might draw with Liverpool at home. Very unlikely though.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Expected Barca to struggle without Messi, insted they played some great football. Alba is just a fantastic player who adds another dimension to the team.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Deloitte had them as 12th wealthiest football club worldwide in '18. I fail to see the "piss poor budget" here.
Piss poor is certainly a hyperbole but you make the common mistake to equate revenue with wealth here. Except Bayern (who build their wealth largely on commercial revenue due to multiple German enterprises backing them), every team ahead of us has a far favourable composition of revenue as TV money, which has basically no costs standing against it, make up a bigger percentage of the revenue.

Irrational.

Remember when some people wanted Simeone as our manager? :lol:

Exposed tonight. One trick pony that would be worse than Jose in terms of footballing quality.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
I can see PSG losing in Naples if they play like tonight too, anyway they were never a serious CL contenders, they don't have any world class midfielders and they are pretty bad defensively too (including the Goalkeeper) they will need to recruit at least 3/4 good players next year if they want to have a shot at the CL title.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Deloitte had them as 12th wealthiest football club worldwide in '18. I fail to see the "piss poor budget" here.
Probably because they sold Aumabeyang for 70+ million and Dembele for 120(?) million without spending much of it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Exposed tonight. One trick pony that would be worse than Jose.
A loss and he's exposed now? Are you completely ignoring all that he's done at Atletico over the past years?

Nick7

Exposed tonight. One trick pony that would be worse than Jose in terms of footballing quality.
It's always really weird how these posts come up after a single game. Happens with Pochettino too.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
So I know Witsel has come in, but tell me more about Diallo and Zagadhou.. what sort of players are they?
Diallo is a very athletic young CB, still much to learn but already at a good level. Also solid with the ball but not Hummels like. Zagadou is still super raw, you can see he has some talent but he makes too many mistakes at the moment.

The best one at the back is Akanji, future world class CB in my opinion.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How do you like Tuchel till now? Disappointed with his UCL performances?
Yes the CL performances have been disappointing so far but there are encouraging signs otherwise. Still too early to judge really.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So I know Witsel has come in, but tell me more about Diallo and Zagadhou.. what sort of players are they?
Diallo was one of the league´s best CBs last season and cost us a tidy sum to get him from Mainz. He is a very mature (current U21 captain of France) and solid defender with a very good build up play. Zagadou is a 19 year old "boy" (looks like 29), who came for free from PSG´s reserves in Summer 2017. He has already earned himself the nickname "Iceman" amongst fans which pretty much tells all about him. Brutally calm, a beast in the air and incredibly fast for someone with his body build.

Our overall strongest central defender, 3rd captain and defensive leader Akanji is actually injured right now.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Diallo was one of the league´s best CBs last season and cost us a tidy sum to get him from Mainz. He is a very mature (current U21 captain of France) and solid defender with a very good build up play. Zagadou is a 19 year old "boy" (looks like 29), who came for free from PSG´s reserves in Summer 2017. He has already earned himself the nickname "Iceman" amongst fans which pretty much tells all about him. Brutally calm, a beast in the air and incredibly fast for someone with his body build.

Our overall strongest central defender, 3rd captain and defensive leader Akanji is actually injured right now.

Hakimi looks like the real deal so far. Probably going to be Marcelos successor at Madrid.

Any chance you guys can sign him?