UEFA Champions League 18/19 Matchday 3 fixtures (23d - 24th October 2018)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Diallo was one of the league´s best CBs last season and cost us a tidy sum to get him from Mainz. He is a very mature (current U21 captain of France) and solid defender with a very good build up play. Zagadou is a 19 year old "boy" (looks like 29), who came for free from PSG´s reserves in Summer 2017. He has already earned himself the nickname "Iceman" amongst fans which pretty much tells all about him. Brutally calm, a beast in the air and incredibly fast for someone with his body build.

Our overall strongest central defender, 3rd captain and defensive leader Akanji is actually injured right now.
Thankfully Toprak is nowhere near the first team to ruin that. Still have no idea what Tuchel saw in him to sign him Leverkusen.

Wayne's World

Wow Dortmund have been fantastic. It seemed like over the years they have got managers who were all attack, attack, attack but under Favre he seems to have them even more solid at the back while be devastating in attack.

Since the quality of the top sides isn't as big as it was over the past few seasons, they are a potential dark-horses for the Champions League this season

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
God I hope PSG hve to play EL. Neymar playing on a rainy thursday night in a eary bunker like stadium against Dnjepr Dnjepropetrovsk.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Hakimi looks like the real deal so far. Probably going to be Marcelos successor at Madrid.

Any chance you guys can sign him?
We have no clause, if that is what you are asking. If he continues to develop at the rate he is now, the chances to sign him are close to none. The only hope is that Cavarjal and Marcelo are not old enough to warrant replacing in two years. We have good business relations to Madrid so maybe something can be worked out.

Thankfully Toprak is nowhere near the first team to ruin that. Still have no idea what Tuchel saw in him to sign him Leverkusen.
Toprak is not nearly as poor as you suggest here. He always performed on a decent level for us and I´m very grateful to have him as squad player in the defense, especially with Diallo needing to help out as FB from time to time.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
We have no clause, if that is what you are asking. If he continues to develop at the rate he is now, the chances to sign him are close to none. The only hope is that Cavarjal and Marcelo are not old enough to warrant replacing in two years. We have good business relations to Madrid so maybe something can be worked out.

Toprak is not nearly as poor as you suggest here. He always performed on a decent level for us and I´m very grateful to have him as squad player in the defense, especially with Diallo needing to help out as FB from time to time.
Would you play him in a starting role? If not then we are on the same page.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would you play him in a starting role? If not then we are on the same page.
No, the starting central defense is Akanji-Diallo with Zagadou close behind. He would not "ruin" things if he would play, though ;)

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Diallo is a very athletic young CB, still much to learn but already at a good level. Also solid with the ball but not Hummels like. Zagadou is still super raw, you can see he has some talent but he makes too many mistakes at the moment.

The best one at the back is Akanji, future world class CB in my opinion.
Akanji was impressive for Switzerland at the WC tbh !

Devil may care

The Barca vs Inter match was a bit flat but Suarez is looking back on top form and Barca have gotten themselves another midfield gem in Arthur, his short passing game, invention and ball protection are class.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What the feck happened to Atleti?

bucky

The Barca vs Inter match was a bit flat but Suarez is looking back on top form and Barca have gotten themselves another midfield gem in Arthur, his short passing game, invention and ball protection are class.
Did you watch the whole game? If so, how did Skriniar do? Only saw the first 30 minutes and both goals. He looked poor for both IMO.

Devil may care

Did you watch the whole game? If so, how did Skriniar do? Only saw the first 30 minutes and both goals. He looked poor for both IMO.
He was disappointing, looked cumbersome at times up against Arthur, Suarez and Coutinho.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Our in game management has been absolute fecking shite in Europe this season (well, its never been amazing but worse this season than last). Have been the better side against both Inter and PSV and end up with 1 point when it should really be 6.

Very poor and we're almost certainly out now, barring a miracle in Barcelona. And considering how we've been playing so far, it probably won't even get to the final game anyway.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
When was the last time Atletico Madrid conceded 4 goals in 90 mins?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yeah he is. But Atletico conceding is a surprise.

Seriously anyone knows when was the last time they conceded 4?
Champions League final 2014? But they also scored one, a better question would be when they last lost by a 4 goal margin.

Also, it's fecking relieving to see a Bundesliga team finally beat a La Liga team. We've been their fodder in the UCL for way to long.

EDIT: Oh you meant 90 mins, then I don't know :p

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Champions League final 2014? But they also scored one, a better question would be when they last lost by a 4 goal margin.

Also, it's fecking relieving to see a Bundesliga team finally beat a La Liga team. We've been their fodder in the UCL for way to long.

EDIT: Oh you meant 90 mins, then I don't know :p
Yeah, in 90 mins. I knew in CL final they conceded 4 but they conceded 3 in 30 mins extra time.

Btw, every league is fodder to La Liga for so long.

Edit: Dec 2012 was the last time they conceded 4 goals. Since Simeone took over this is the third time they conceded 4 goals in a game,
April 2012- 4-1 vs Madrid
Dec 2012- 4-1 vs Barca
Oct 2018 - 4-0 vs Dortmund

Last edited:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
OK, it was only Red Star at home, but I was very impressed with Fabinho for us last night. He actually looked like the player we'd hoped he would be. Quick & strong in the tackle & a good range of passes, especially forward ones. Bigger tests to come no doubt before he can be classed as another good signing, however if he can keep to a similar standard from here on in we'd have some pretty good options in midfield, & in the general squad. As for the game itself, tough first 20 minutes or so, but once we got going the usual suspects did their stuff in a routine win. Not sure if I'd have preferred Napoli to hold on at 3-2, but I think our group at the moment is nicely set-up as a 'group of death'.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's almost 2 meters tall. It's kind of unreal how quick and agile he is for a CB with his build.
Plus his ball handling and passing is really neat. Impressive trio of young center backs at Dortmund right now, and one of the best player developing coaches in the game.

bucky

I heard the same thing said about Koulibaly tonight as well, and de Ligt looked flat footed in the recent international I saw him in. :nervous:
I've seen it a few times with Koulibaly as well, so not surprised. Maybe just off-days. De Ligt looked impressive against Munich though.

Devil may care

I've seen it a few times with Koulibaly as well, so not surprised. Maybe just off-days. De Ligt looked impressive against Munich though.
All players have bad games of course, I think after some less than stellar recent transfer business from us everyone just wants to make sure we get this crucial CB buy right.

Treble

OK, it was only Red Star at home, but I was very impressed with Fabinho for us last night. He actually looked like the player we'd hoped he would be. Quick & strong in the tackle & a good range of passes, especially forward ones. Bigger tests to come no doubt before he can be classed as another good signing, however if he can keep to a similar standard from here on in we'd have some pretty good options in midfield, & in the general squad. As for the game itself, tough first 20 minutes or so, but once we got going the usual suspects did their stuff in a routine win. Not sure if I'd have preferred Napoli to hold on at 3-2, but I think our group at the moment is nicely set-up as a 'group of death'.
That's important though, they are Championship material.

Treble

So are Derby County :p
Yes, failure against poor teams means something. A win not much. Red Star would be midtable in the Championship, they are that poor. Cardiff will give you more of a game.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
We using this thread for the EL games too? Sporting vs Arsenal should be a very good game!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
20 minutes in & pretty much nothing has happened so far. Good to see Coates & Nani playing, though - It's been ages!

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
My bad, I actually forgot that was a thing. Will give it a nudge then :D