UEFA Champions League 2013 Semi Finals

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
This place is hilarious after a game like this, there's always the vast majority who sound like they are cry wanking at the computers because we haven't got this teams players and seem utterly determined to the point of finding in pleasure in the idea that we would get destroyed.

Then there are one or two fans who just go the complete opposite and let their jealousy form an ultra high opinion of our own team and come out with baffling posts.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Hannibal

;)
This has got to be a wind up.

That team would get absolutely destroyed by bayern home and away.

Cleverley and Anderson who rarely get a game for united against some of the best midfielders in the world in Martinez/schweinsteiger/Kroos.

Some people on this forum really haven't got a fecking clue.
Of course, tell us how clued up you are.....
Knowing you, it would be fair to say you would put Giggs and Scholes in that midfield and have Keane waiting on the bench if plan A goes awry. Some of you people shouldn't even be allowed to discuss the weather, let alone discuss a critical issue like the dynamics of football tactics.

Sam

Look back at Barca's games, that barcelona team has looked remarkably average this season. It's as if suddenly they can't press quickly anymore. They also don't seem to have as much movement off the ball

I think we would have matched up well against Bayern, like we did against Madrid, I also think that an injured Messi and pedro and an aging david villa aren't as good as our strikers.
Hmm I wonder why...*cough* fuentes *cough*

Hannibal

PL was far stronger back then than it is now.
Hahahaha
With United parading Djemba-Djemba, Richardson, Roy Caroll, etc in their squad? The Premier League was utter wank in 2004/5. Chelsea were the only strong side then and they were backed by half a billion pounds worth of talents. Even then, they were not good enough for the continental sides. It wasn't until 2006/7 that the Premier league got a hang of it.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Hahahaha
With United parading Djemba-Djemba, Richardson, Roy Caroll, etc in their squad? The Premier League was utter wank in 2004/5. Chelsea were the only strong side then and they were backed by half a billion pounds worth of talents. Even then, they were not good enough for the continental sides. It wasn't until 2006/7 that the Premier league got a hang of it.
Liverpool are a continental side? Jesus, that season we thrashed Barca and Bayern munich! Do you know anything about what you are saying?

Sam

Congratulations Blackwidow, you're team really have produced something special over these bast two legs against Barca. And played some fantastic football to boot. You should be very proud of them.

Really looking forward to the final now, think its gonna be an absolute belter, and may the best team win.

Traub

The real question is will Messi be world player of the year again??

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hahahaha
Yeah, the continental Liverpool side. Get a grip.

binary bot
I'd say it's 50/50 between Messi and Ronaldo - both of them haven't really performed in the semis while Messi has the league advantage. It'll be interesting to see the team of the year, 100% La Liga team last year to...just Messi and Ronaldo?

Blackwidow

The real question is will Messi be world player of the year again??
Ballon d'Or

Yes. There is players, national managers and reporters from all of the world voting. Especially South America votes in favour for Messi - and other countries see a lot of La Liga

European player of the year

No. Iniesta was it last year. So I guess that others have a chance. It will not be Messi. I do not know who votes this.

-------------

Bayern really play a great year this year. And I do not know why everybody brags about this nice Dortmund players. Bayern has some really great characters... (and Dortmund for sure has some less loveable, too)

Sarni

Well yes, nobody comes close. 58 goals this season already?
And? He's been underwhelming in big games and pretty poor this year to be fair, these awards are based on a calendar year (should be) and often given on the basis of trophies won so I won't be surprised to see Messi miss out.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
And? He's been underwhelming in big games and pretty poor this year to be fair, these awards are based on a calendar year (should be) and often given on the basis of trophies won so I won't be surprised to see Messi miss out.
Who do you think should win it?

Also, what big games are you talking about? Messi pretty poor this year?? :confused:

Sarni

Who do you think should win it?

Also, what big games are you talking about? Messi pretty poor this year?? :confused:
He was awful at Allianz, fit or not, and also poor against Madrid in the cup too. Two semi-finals where he struggled to make an impact. Barcelona have been pretty poor this season, just got past Milan and on away goals rule against PSG. They'll win the league but it'll be more because of the gap they managed to create in 2012.

Platato

Psst!
Wow some of you struggle to see how good this Bayern team is. It's quite sad actually. We're a good side. Not a great one and I'd give us a 35% chance against them. We're not that good and anyone who thinks so, I feel sorry for.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
He was awful at Allianz, fit or not, and also poor against Madrid in the cup too. Two semi-finals where he struggled to make an impact. Barcelona have been pretty poor this season, just got past Milan and on away goals rule against PSG. They'll win the league but it'll be more because of the gap they managed to create in 2012.
:confused: I think it does matter if he's fit or not..

We're not talking about Barcelona's performances, we're talking about Messi's.

I think Messi scored in every single game against Madrid this season (may be except one)? He was the reason why they got past Milan and PSG, and contributed 45 goals so far (second goalscorer has 10!) on their way for another La Liga title.

I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest, but let me hear your candidate for Ballon d'Or this year..

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Let's say Bayern win the treble, can you name a player at Bayern who individually deserves it more than Messi? Same with Dortmund, let's say they win the CL? Who deserves it? Lewandowski probably was the standout player for them, but individually ahead of Messi/Ronaldo?

What's more interesting imo, who's gonna win the manager of the year thing. Thought the ignorance towards Klopp and Heynckes last year was shocking.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Let's say Bayern win the treble, can you name a player at Bayern who individually deserves it more than Messi? Same with Dortmund, let's say they win the CL? Who deserves it? Lewandowski probably was the standout player for them, but individually ahead of Messi/Ronaldo?

What's more interesting imo, who's gonna win the manager of the year thing. Thought the ignorance towards Klopp and Heynckes last year was shocking.
Simple. If Bayern wins Heynckes, if Dortmund wins Klopp.

Phil

Anything is possible in football, but that's not to say it's not fecking madness to claim we'd of got battered 7-0 like Barcelona did. You're seriously crazy if you think that actually. We'd of gone to Bayern with a completely different setup and system and if you think we'd of let them trounce us 0-3 at OT then feck me you don't know a great deal about Manchester United.

None of that's to say we'd of beaten Bayern. Who knows? Nobody fecking does. They could of beat us. We could of beat them. But I can safely say that we'd not of been dominated and beaten 7-0 or anything even close to that. Maybe we'll find out next season.
I'm not usually a grammar Nazi but please mate, have not of.

Ekeke

Wow some of you struggle to see how good this Bayern team is. It's quite sad actually. We're a good side. Not a great one and I'd give us a 35% chance against them. We're not that good and anyone who thinks so, I feel sorry for.
And if Dortmund beat them as they have in recent years with the majority of the same players in the Bayern team?

Phil

Sorry mate. Where'd we OF been without you and your grammar lessons :p
It was so frequent in that post, I could HAVE cried!

I do feel like a gimp for saying it though, as you were.

Sarni

:confused: I think it does matter if he's fit or not..

We're not talking about Barcelona's performances, we're talking about Messi's.

I think Messi scored in every single game against Madrid this season (may be except one)? He was the reason why they got past Milan and PSG, and contributed 45 goals so far (second goalscorer has 10!) on their way for another La Liga title.

I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest, but let me hear your candidate for Ballon d'Or this year..
He didn't score in either Copa del Rey game against Madrid.

It's a Player of the Year, not Player of the Season. Otherwise he wouldn't have got it in 2012 when Ronaldo won La Liga with Madrid while Barcelona ended up with nothing except for Copa del Rey.

Sarni

If Dortmund win CL with Lewandowski scoring 2 goals in the final for example and he then proceeds to score as regularly for Bayern as he does for Dortmund, won't he be a better fit for Player of the Year thing than Messi? He'll never get it and obviously he'll never be even close to Messi's level but it's a bit silly to already hand this award to Messi in May when there are 7 months left in this year and his team was just embarrassed in CL semis. Of course you can excuse his performance in the first leg (he shouldn't have played if he weren't fit though) but it doesn't change the fact that you can't just keep giving him awards because he's Messi.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Yeah, absolutely destroyed them in a game in which they barely saw the ball. You really should watch football before you make any comments. Arsenal won but that's about it, two defensive errors and complacency cost Bayern more than any brilliant Arsenal performance. And they also destroyed them at Emirates, didn't they? Bayern went out there thinking they already won it, it was the only error they made in this years CL. They learned their lesson which showed against Barca and Juve.
There is no need to belittle a good performance to make Bayern look better than they are, everyone already knows how good they are.

Sarni

There is no need to belittle a good performance to make Bayern look better than they are, everyone already knows how good they are.
No, he doesn't. To say that Bayern were destroyed by Arsenal is silly, it was a lucky win for you. You played better against them than anyone this season, that's for sure, but you didn't destroy them at all. Not to mention his point is absolutely dumb because he's basically saying United would bear Bayern because Arsenal did. It's like saying that Norwich destroyed us this season and hence so would Wolfsburg.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
He didn't score in either Copa del Rey game against Madrid.

It's a Player of the Year, not Player of the Season. Otherwise he wouldn't have got it in 2012 when Ronaldo won La Liga with Madrid while Barcelona ended up with nothing except for Copa del Rey.
Copa del Rey? Biggest games of the season?

Anyway, in 2012 Ronaldo definitely had a better case than this year, but Messi broke Muller's record, and his personal brillance was too much for Ronaldo's La Liga title.

However, this year his closest rival didn't put up better personal performances (or numbers, so far at least) nor did he win more valuable trophies (assuming La Liga is in the bag for Barcelona).. I can't see it being a tougher call than last year.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
The final will be interesting. Super-organization versus planned chaos. Bayern to win 70/30 at least for me. They have the better rested and better balanced team, and their determination this season is astounding.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
No, he doesn't. To say that Bayern were destroyed by Arsenal is silly, it was a lucky win for you. You played better against them than anyone this season, that's for sure, but you didn't destroy them at all. Not to mention his point is absolutely dumb because he's basically saying United would bear Bayern because Arsenal did. It's like saying that Norwich destroyed us this season and hence so would Wolfsburg.
I wouldn't call it a lucky win, how many clear cut chances did Bayern have in the game? Much of all this they were complacent stuff is just nonsense, we scored an early goal and you could sense they panicked a bit. Their players had talked about how we almost overturned Milan after a heavy defeat before the game so maybe that was on their mind. Rest of the game it was them mainly on the ball but they found it difficult to break through and create chances. Many of their attempts were from distance.

First game they destroyed us down our left side, Vermaelen had a shocker and they just ripped him to shreds. Even so Giroud had a great chance to get it back to 2-2 when we were well on top of the game but soon after they went and made it 3-1 and the tie was over.

Blackwidow

They do have a few things in common; some excellent young players (many from their own schools) are part of them, but at Dortmund, they are the spine of the team - Gündogan, Reus, Götze at BVB. At Bayern, the key positions are held by older, more experienced players and some of them are big money aquisitions - Neuer, Martinez, Robben, Ribery, Gomez, Mandzukic. If Bayern didn't have an Alaba or Müller, they just would be on the market and buy some players with the needed skillset; If Dortmund didn't have Götze, Reus or Gündogan, they would play for BuLi place 12.
Müller and Alaba have been very important this season - especially the first one as he probably is the role model for the mentality and he scored them so much important goals this year. (Müller is the topscorer in the CL even if he did not score in the 6-1 against Lille - and they have even a point less at home in the Bundesliga than last year - they have been so much better away and then a player that was involved in half of the away goals might have an important role...). You underestimate the role of especially that two - it has a reason why they are the penalty takers of the team. If you take the most important players this season in the team you certainly have to name Müller, Ribery and Schweinsteiger first. And a Lewandowski at Dortmund probably was more important than all of the German youngsters - and Weidenfeller are to mention, too.

To Alaba - Bayern was searching since years for a contemplate for Lahm for the other side. Like the German national team. Bayern has found it.

-----------------

Something funny. Bayern forgot to take Javi Martinez with them from the Camp Nou. He had to take a taxi. I guess Barcelona would have liked to keep him :cool:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bayern wouldn't destory any English team as they did Barca, none of our teams are that defensively naive.
I haven't managed to see the game so I'm asking this on a hunch:

Barca's defensive play is done from the midfield, from suffocation due to their superior midfield and attack offering huge protection to a very average defense. This is the first real time I can remember they have come up a team that can equal them in midfield and handle their attack, as a result it exposed their big weakness of a shite defense.

Is that about right?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I haven't managed to see the game so I'm asking this on a hunch:

Barca's defensive play is done from the midfield, from suffocation due to their superior midfield and attack offering huge protection to a very average defense. This is the first real time I can remember they have come up a team that can equal them in midfield and handle their attack, as a result it exposed their big weakness of a shite defense.

Is that about right?
A bit of that, and a bit of them severly missing Puyol.