UEFA Champions League Quarter Final fixtures (9th - 10th, 16th - 17th April 2019)

ManRed

Watch the City/Tottenham game on the weekend be a dull 0-0
Will be an interesting affair, City have to pick themselves after that finish and Spurs on the other hand are sky high (like us after psg). Hope City can lift their spirits up

purgethefallen

It was tactical master class by Pochettino no doubt, where was the luck? No Kane, Winks, Sissoko. No dubious decision. Everyone even me criticized lollrente sub but it turned out great.
Oh please, we know you think the sun shines out of Poch, but that was just lucky, Pep was tactically better than Poch by far in this game they just didn't get the rub of the green.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
What does the forum think.. Lorente goal legit? Rio thinks it is handball
Goal for me. Hand is tucked in
If the Rose incident was a penalty, then the goal shouldn't have stood.

(The goal was fine & it wasn't a penalty in my opinion, but giving one & not the other is weird to me).

30 Apr/1 May - 1st Leg
6/7 May - 2nd Leg
Bah, so long...

Inter Yer Nan

I wouldn't even mind Spurs winning it to be honest. Maybe i'll get some stick on here for saying that.

But tonight just confirmed it for me, I hold no ill towards Spurs winning it.

Much rather Spurs than City or Liverpool obviously, but even rather than Real Madrid or PSG.
To be honest I hope they win it. I respect them as a club and like Poch. Outside of United and Atletico I'd probably rather see them than most sides though I like this Ajax side.

Ban

I can see some Barca supporters crooning for Klopp after Liverpool run them ragged.
Didnt you write that already somewhere. It's Barcelona, I guess they have some chance vs mighty Liverpool. Small but a chance I reckon.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Spurs or Ajax wont win the CL. Stop hyping them up.

The CL is all about one person from this position. MESSI

That's what the world wants, football is all about one man the moment, and the sport means absolutely nothing without Lionel Messi. The CL is done, congratulations Barca.
Yeah even as someone who acknowledges Messi>Everyone else, Liverpool will not just roll over.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
If the Rose incident was a penalty, then the goal shouldn't have stood.

(The goal was fine & it wasn't a penalty in my opinion, but giving one & not the other is weird to me).

Bah, so long...
2 weeks today mate. We have the small matter of the Manc derby next week to look forward to

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well he's right about it coming off his arm, before hitting his hip. Don't think it qualifies as a handball though.
Everyone knew it came off his arm (first), no-one was disputing it in the studio. Maybe cross purposes but he put a lot more emphasis on the hand/arm when it was clear Lineker was talking about whether it was a goal or not ..... and even then, Rio still said handball. Odd.

Stocar

That's knockout football. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. This was not a "tactical masterclass" nor "bottling", just a pure lottery and perhaps some mysterious forces at work. This same Spurs team literally refused to score vs Liverpool, and then gifted them a goal.

With the best team out of competition, Barcelona are now huge favorites. Liverpool's run of incredible fortune can't last forever. I don't see them being a match for fully motivated Barca team.

AgentP

This is the perfect result for us in so many ways. No quadruple for City. City can now focus on just the PL whereas Liverpool need to worry about CL too. Also, now all our top 4 rivals will be in either CL or El semis while we are free to concentrate on top 4.

Irwin99

Sky sports fixture schedule for 'pool looks strange as they have Newcastle on Sunday 5th of May and then Barca on Tuesday??? that can't be right surely?

SharpshooterTom

That's knockout football. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. This was not a "tactical masterclass" nor "bottling", just a pure lottery and perhaps some mysterious forces at work. This same Spurs team literally refused to score vs Liverpool, and then gifted them a goal.

With the best team out of competition, Barcelona are now huge favorites. Liverpool's run of incredible fortune can't last forever. I don't see them being a match for fully motivated Barca team.
The Barca team isn't really all that great.

But they have Messi and Liverpool have absolutely nothing like him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This is the perfect result for us in so many ways. No quadruple for City. City can now focus on just the PL whereas Liverpool need to worry about CL too. Also, now all our top 4 rivals will be in either CL or El semis while we are free to concentrate on top 4.
Imagine finishing 4th ahead of Spurs and Chelsea only for the two of them to win their respective competitions. Nightmare.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Sky sports fixture schedule for 'pool looks strange as they have Newcastle on Sunday 5th of May and then Barca on Tuesday??? that can't be right surely?
If the Barca match has been confirmed for the Tuesday, the Newcastle match will move to 1230 on Saturday 4 May

Irwin99

If the Barca match has been confirmed for the Tuesday, the Newcastle match will move to 1230 on Saturday 4 May
Sounds more sensible/realistic. Still it could be a hard fight if City keep them on their toes.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Onwards to Ajax.

The Spurs squad is now stretched to barest of bare bones with injuries and CL suspensions. Ajax is going to be tough, but the incentive is huge.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Onwards to Ajax.

The Spurs squad is now stretched to barest of bare bones with injuries and CL suspensions. Ajax is going to be tough, but the incentive is huge.
It should be a cracking fixture. Really looking forward to it.

Canagel

Indeed. Let's hope to sneak the 4th place whilst everyone around us is distracted.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Spurs or Ajax wont win the CL. Stop hyping them up.

The CL is all about one person from this position. MESSI

That's what the world wants, football is all about one man the moment, and the sport means absolutely nothing without Lionel Messi. The CL is done, congratulations Barca.
I really hope ure wrong. It's clear most footie lovers rather than Messi lovers want Ajax to win this and rightfully so. They show this is a team sport above all and that big money only gets you so far.

Bocca9978

Despite not only beating, but outplaying Madrid and Juve in all four games vs European giants, watch everyone assume Spurs will walk past Ajax to the final vs. Liverpool or Barca.
True, but out of all the possible games, that’s the one I’d still want.

Stocar

The Barca team isn't really all that great.
I agree, they're not that brilliant side anymore. But the fact they're playing this uncharacteristically bland, opportunistic football arguably gives them more chance in this type of competition. Look what happened to City, who tried to play it the right way (as I see it). Football seems to reward shithousery (and people seem to love it).

Anyway, Barcelona are technically much better than Liverpool, and probably won't be intimidated by their aggressiveness. More importantly, they are a team of veterans that know how to ride the momentum and finish the game. They now remind me of Madrid team under Zidane in the year they won the double.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
When do we know whether it's April 30 or May 1 for the first leg?

United Hobbit

Was almost like watching United how much I was willing Spurs on! So glad of VAR. Fantastic game to watch, did think City had done as expected and scored their late winner. Would take Son at United.

Also good as it means they cant win the quadruple so we don't have to listen to that anymore or worry about them winning the league on their way to said quadruple. Yes they can win 3 trophies but it isnt the ultimate treble like we did ;)

Just hope this doesn't cause them to fall apart in the league but it's a distraction out the way so they can fully focus on the league.

I would be happiest for Spurs or Ajax to win the CL, wouldn't mind Barca, definitely dont want 6 times especially as it could be a potential double :eek: Hopefully Barca and Messi fully turn up but if they play like they did against us first leg unfortunately Liverpool can take their chances :rolleyes:

Oh and did anyone see the City fans "celebrate" their early goals they looked more like they were politely clapping at some posh concert I know it may just have been a moment in time/ BT didn't show the initial celebration but compare that to the Tottenham fans or even how our fans or dare I say Liverpool fans would have celebrated...

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
When do we know whether it's April 30 or May 1 for the first leg?
It should be within the next 24hrs. UEFA are normally pretty quick at finalising dates. The group stage dates are usually set about 3hrs after the draw is made so I'd imagine it'll be shortly.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think Ajax fans are saying the exact same thing about Spurs at this very moment :lol:

......and Son is suspended for the first leg. ;)
I'm sure they are and rightly so! On paper, we're the two weaker teams in the competition so of course each would want the other.

I also wanted Ajax just because they're an incredible team, there's a lot of great links between the clubs and it will be great for our ex Ajax players to go back there too.

If we don't win it, I hope they do.

I'm speechless about that match.