UEFA extend AWB ban to two games and reduce it back to one

MichaelRed

It’s nearly like UEFA know it’s the position we’re are least equipped in..
Put your conspiracy away. What's wrong with Dalot? It's a BS decision, especially given the KDB situation last night, but it's hardly like they're targeting us for having a lag of depth at RB.

acnumber9

So you think that all referees interpret an action similarly and that they all give the same sanctions 100% of the time? It feels like I'm living on a different planet.
No I don’t. That’s the problem though isn’t it? Just because they don’t do that doesn’t mean that people can’t legitimately complain about two refs and two VAR’s making completely contradictory decisions. Either the tackle is worthy of a two game ban or it’s not. Different angles isn’t a valid excuse when you have people sitting watching it on a tv screen.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If we fail to qualify, it won't be because Wan Bissaka's ban was increased. But absolutely laughable that it has been. Even taking De Bruyne's challenge out of the equation, AWB's was a poorly timed attempt at the ball. Not much more than that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He'll be missed in the game against Atalanta but Dalot should suit Villareal and Young Boys better. The problem is if Shaw is missing from the other flank as I'd much rather not play Telles and Dalot together as full backs.

spiriticon

Dalot will be fine in European competition but come on, show a bit of consistency with KDB.

Deery

Dreary
Put your conspiracy away. What's wrong with Dalot? It's a BS decision, especially given the KDB situation last night, but it's hardly like they're targeting us for having a lag of depth at RB.
Let’s be honest he’s not great either, I just don’t see the need to extend a ban for the tackle.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So you think that all referees interpret an action similarly and that they all give the same sanctions 100% of the time? It feels like I'm living on a different planet.
Referees have always varied in their interpretations. One of the big plus points of VAR was supposed to be reducing this inconsistency. Yet here we are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No I don’t. That’s the problem though isn’t it? Just because they don’t do that doesn’t mean that people can’t legitimately complain about two refs and two VAR’s making completely contradictory decisions. Either the tackle is worthy of a two game ban or it’s not. Different angles isn’t a valid excuse when you have people sitting watching it on a tv screen.
The issue isn't that people complain but that they make up conspiracies instead of simply stating the obvious. Two different people can have two different interpretations of the same situation. As long as humans referee games, you will have this kind of inconsistencies.

OleBoiii

Clowns.

It wasn't that dangerous(stamp on foot, not leg) and it was clearly unintentional as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Referees have always varied in their interpretations. One of the big plus points of VAR was supposed to be reducing this inconsistency. Yet here we are.
Reducing doesn't mean that it won't happen. VAR still involves different people looking at different actions, what VAR does is give a second chance or an other pair of eyes but it doesn't erase subjectivity.

Presto

Joke of a decision, yet I'm not surprised by any mean because we've always been receiving unfavorable decisions from UEFA

acnumber9

The issue isn't that people complain but that they make up conspiracies instead of simply stating the obvious. Two different people can have two different interpretations of the same situation. As long as humans referee games, you will have this kind of inconsistencies.
The conspiracies are obviously stupid. The fact remains the refs haven’t done their jobs properly last night. It’s particularly annoying that the following day they increase the ban for somebody else and just highlights the incompetence.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The timing couldn't have been better. Generally I don't like to compare the decisions in different games with different referees but to announce it the morning after De Bruyne got away with one :lol:

Seems incredible, really, especially since I don't think that there's even an option of applying the same rule on De Bruyne since he wasn't sent off in the first place.

edit: @JPRouve is right that it's obviously not a conspiracy. Just really poorly-designed system.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thing with AWB's 'challenge' is that his leg is straight and he's thrown himself into it. That literally could have been a leg breaker. I can understand that they're trying to stamp those out (zing).

We should be fine. We have Dalot who needs playing. AWB can continue to play (badly) every week in the premier league.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Reducing doesn't mean that it won't happen. VAR still involves different people looking at different actions, what VAR does is give a second chance or an other pair of eyes but it doesn't erase subjectivity.
Agreed. And some calls are more subjective than others. A good example being the handball given against Milan.

But it’s very hard to understand how any referee, at any level, can watch a replay of the KDB incident and not see a red card. The fact they didn’t is the kind of inconsistency that pisses people off. With good reason.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Thing with AWB's 'challenge' is that his leg is straight and he's thrown himself into it. That literally could have been a leg breaker. I can understand that they're trying to stamp those out (zing).

We should be fine. We have Dalot who needs playing. AWB can continue to play (badly) every week in the premier league.
That’s not true though. He wasn’t off his feet. He was lunging forward but a lot of weight was still on his left leg.

KDB on the other hand…

iHicksy

Not even to imitate RAWK but de Bruyne has the most extreme PL. Getting individual awards he nowhere near deserves and now avoiding blatant red cards, it is hilarious.

Absurd decision making by the UEFA.
Which awards do you think he doesn't deserve, out of interest?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Which awards do you think he doesn't deserve, out of interest?
Last season's POTY to start. It was really an average season for his standards, it is laughable he won it above Dias, Bruno, Kane, Salah.

CM

Hope we see the same energy for De Bruyne. His was worse so 3 game ban if anything

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Had forgotten AWB was out. Hope Shaw and Maguire aren't too.

Flytan

If the whole argument was that it was reckless and violent, that he touched the ball with the tip of his toe is rather irrelevent.
It's takes away part of the "recklessness" from the tackle because he actually made a play at the ball that was realistic because he touched it. Granted it should be a red too, but AWBs was more pathetic.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's takes away part of the "recklessness" from the tackle because he actually made a play at the ball that was realistic because he touched it. Granted it should be a red too, but AWBs was more pathetic.
I don't think pathetic has anything to do with it. I disagree with your assessment - both were violent, both should have been red cards, and the fact the ball is touched is completely irrelevent to the fact that both tackles could have caused serious injury.

youmeletsfly

Who cares to be honest. It's not like they've randomly banned Bruno and he can't play anymore.
They extended a ban to our worst player in the lineup, that's hardly doing anything wrong. Maybe this way Dalot will fecking wake up and grab his chance. For some reason he looked much better at Milan than here, albeit the opposition was weaker.

iHicksy

Last season's POTY to start. It was really an average season for his standards, it is laughable he won it above Dias, Bruno, Kane, Salah.
Yeah i'd agree with that - he was also injured for a long spell. I can't make a case for Salah because of how poor Liverpool were last season. But Dias was certainly the stand out in that city team with Gundogan. Kane had a better season but Bruno should have taken it for me. Not only did he transform United but the numbers he was putting up were absolutely insane.

always_hoping

Uefa are some joke.

extending Wan Bissaka's red card suspension to two games, the day after letting De Bruyne get off with a yellow for a worse challenge.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'm still livid about Moreno getting man of the match after snapping Shaw's leg.

UEFA are cnuts.