UK General Election - 12th December 2019 | Con 365, Lab 203, LD 11, SNP 48, Other 23 - Tory Majority of 80

How do you intend to vote in the 2019 General Election if eligible?

• Brexit Party

Votes: 30 4.3%
  • Conservatives

Votes: 73 10.6%
  • DUP

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Green

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • Labour

Votes: 355 51.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 58 8.4%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • SNP

Votes: 19 2.8%
  • UKIP

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (BNP, Change UK, UUP and anyone else that I have forgotten)

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Not voting

Votes: 57 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Can anyone explain what it means for me to have the speaker in my constituency? Because I thought I understood but someone at work said something that makes me think I may have it wrong. Will he still be the MP for the area but won't be able to vote in parliament unless it's a draw? Because that's how I understood it.

Out of interest - the only other two candidates were some Brexit dick and Green. What would happen if one of those won?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The trouble I have is Labour at local level for me is fairly good as they tend to get things done that need doing for the better of the people. The only problem I have is as the Labour ladder goes higher I don't like what I see. Personally I would find it difficult to trust Corbyn to run the country with some of the people he surrounds himself with. On the other hand I've never voted Tory but I can see why working class people are tempted to vote for them as they trust them more to deliver Brexit.
Just mental. Exactly why we are in this situation. Brexit is a complete shambles, a cash grab and has been from the start. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well I'd guess the youth is quite spread across the UK and longer lines in many safe Labour seats could indicate higher turnout all around the country? Or Labour is just trying to find any dose of optimism they can. One thing I give them - they really are in it to win it and they don't take any "you don't stand a chance" for an answer.
I'm just psyching myself for the expected disappointment

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
SO...

Is anyone else excited by Election Day? Putting everything aside (inc party loyalities), who is looking forward to the exit poll in less than 12 hours?

I usually make it to about 2/3am, get a couple of hours sleep and up about 6 for confirmation (pretty much) of the result.

Does anyone stay up through the night? Or do people just find out the result tomorrow am?
I have done. I won't be doing it again because every time I've voted on something it's been disappointing and I can't be fecked being gutted and tired tomorrow.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can anyone explain what it means for me to have the speaker in my constituency? Because I thought I understood but someone at work said something that makes me think I may have it wrong. Will he still be the MP for the area but won't be able to vote in parliament unless it's a draw? Because that's how I understood it.

Out of interest - the only other two candidates were some Brexit dick and Green. What would happen if one of those won?
He doesn’t vote and by convention if a vote was a draw he would vote against whatever motion had been put forward.

If another candidate won the seat the House would elect another speaker.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol:

What's the predictions over there in Fife @Mr Pigeon same as the rest of Alba I can assume?
It's going to be an interesting day for sure - probably SNP for West and East (and I've already been told three times this morning that I've given the Tories my vote because I voted Labour and not for the incumbent SNP dude in East, so there's that) but Central will be interesting as it's historically a Labour seat - old Gordon Brown for a while and he sealed it when he got a new hospital built - but the new Labour MP has been divisive. It should still go her way though because there's no SNP candidate (he had to leave the party after saying some rather offensive remarks a couple of weeks back). He's running as an independent though but I don't think too many people will recognise his name without the SNP badge beside it when they turn up and will go for Labour.

So....1/3 seats for Labour? Maybe two as my constituency was only 4% difference between Labour and the winning SNP in 2017.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If they're standing outside a polling station with Vote Labour plaqcards, I'm pretty sure that's influencing/attempting to influence voters...
You can infer that but it's not reporting any information about how many votes have been cast in any direction. For all you know they might all be from different constituencies or postal voters who have shown up to campaign.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He doesn’t vote and by convention if a vote was a draw he would vote against whatever motion had been put forward.

If another candidate won the seat the House would elect another speaker.
I'm more asking what it means for his role in the constituency. Same as usual, but probably not quite as involved, or something more official where someone else would have to step in as the MP?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
You can infer that but it's not reporting any information about how many votes have been cast in any direction. For all you know they might all be from different constituencies or postal voters who have shown up to campaign.
I didn't think you could campaign outside polling stations either?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm more asking what it means for his role in the constituency. Same as usual, but probably not quite as involved, or something more official where someone else would have to step in as the MP?
As I understand it he’ll still do all his duties as an MP, he just doesn’t vote in Parliamentary matters. Could be wrong, however.

ZupZup

I didn't think you could campaign outside polling stations either?
I mean... I am no expert... but in that picture the weather looks quite nice? People are wearing t-shirts and sunglasses?

If Uxbridge is like this in December, it's my new winter getaway.

Red Star One

Leader of Russian ultra-nationalists and currently biggest political ally of Putin in the Russian Parliament has his own clear preference...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My god, I think this is going to be such a divided country by the end. Boris won’t deliver Brexit in the way people believe and the broken promises will end in a rise of nationalism

decorativeed

Are you arrogant enough to think the work you turn down doesn’t get done by someone else?
Was also going to make this point. If people are going to stop doing this extra work due to the tax implications on them, there are plenty of others willing and able to take on that work.

Inigo Montoya

Leader of Russian ultra-nationalists and currently biggest political ally of Putin in the Russian Parliament has his own clear preference...
But they’re supporting remain in Scotland

We know what the agenda is

Kaos

My god, I think this is going to be such a divided country by the end. Boris won’t deliver Brexit in the way people believe and the broken promises will end in a rise of nationalism
This is what concerns me.

I’d be tempted to laugh at all of those who were duped by him when they realise Brexit isn’t the magical silver bullet that would solve all their problems, but knowing the exceptionally nasty streak of this current administration, I can see them doubling down on immigration as being the scapegoat for their persistent problems.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
In the unlikely event that Boris lost his seat but the tories won the election. What would the procedure be?
They would make him a peer and he would be eligible to be PM.

Kaos

In the unlikely event that Boris lost his seat but the tories won the election. What would the procedure be?
I mean technically he could just be declared a lord and continue to be PM, but he’d be considered a laughing stock and would realistically resign out of the shame.

Red Star One

But they’re supporting remain in Scotland

We know what the agenda is
They want to see Britain a mess, no need for some fancy pundit's tirade to understand that. Surely they'd rather see UK divided internally and isolated in Europe and I think they're still very salty that their murders in the UK didn't go unnoticed.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I mean technically he could just be declared a lord and continue to be PM, but he’d be considered a laughing stock and would realistically resign out of the shame.
:lol: cracker

Inigo Montoya

This is what concerns me.

I’d be tempted to laugh at all of those who were duped by him when they realise Brexit isn’t the magical silver bullet that would solve all their problems, but knowing the exceptionally nasty streak of this current administration, I can see them doubling down on immigration as being the scapegoat for their persistent problems.
History has shown that politicians broken promises lead to scapegoating of minorities and a rise in right wing nationalism

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm hindu and keep getting forwarded WhatsApp videos about how we all need to vote Borris to save India. Its so fecking stupid and I know so many Indians are falling for it. 4-5 WhatsApp groups have forwarded it to me, and it's all groups with distant aunts and uncles :lol:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
History has shown that politicians broken promises lead to scapegoating of minorities and a rise in right wing nationalism
Given Johnson's history, we will most likely see a significant increase in riots over the next few years. The rise in right wing nationalism is already here.

Inigo Montoya

They want to see Britain a mess, no need for some fancy pundit's tirade to understand that. Surely they'd rather see UK divided internally and isolated in Europe and I think they're still very salty that their murders in the UK didn't go unnoticed.
They would love a divided Europe. Putin has long been an opponent of the EU

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

"A gaggle of excited Lib Dem voters turn up to cast their vote"

Status
Not open for further replies.