Umtiti - Press starts linking him to United

Jib

Best CB in the world when he's fit. But there is something fishy with his knees.

sherrinford

Im sure there are way more failures than success in those situations, most players that are released by the big clubs don’t make it elsewhere. Sure there are some exceptions like Robben and Sneijder but the majority won’t deliver to the expectations.
Under the kind of circumstances that Robben and Sneijder were signed from Real Madrid I would say it’s about as close to a guaranteed quality player as you’ll get. There are obvious, massive question marks over someone like Bale - older or injury prone buys. Isco, for example, would be a great signing for most sides.

Zoo

Umtiti recently said that he will be at Barcelona next season.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Barcelona gave him an expensive new contract last summer and now his knee has been busted and they want to get rid. Easy to see why we should steer clear and not help Barcelona out by giving them squad space and money to buy de Ligt.

It's a similar situation to Bale in that the player himself is a big name and plays in a position where we need a new signing (left sided centre back, right wing) but the reason their current club want the player to leave is exactly why United should stay away.
Well, injuries are probably a concern, and how he negotiated his last contract + his decision to no got through surgery this season when the team pushed for it probably has made things with the board harder for him. But there's football reasons behind Umtiti being in the market

Lenglet doesn't have the same level as Umtiti, but he's closer to it than what their wages says, so Lenglet is the economy-friendly alternative

Lenglet and Umtiti are left dominant and both have years ahead of them, Pique is our only right dominant CB and he's the one that will need to be benched sooner.

We're going to need money to sign De Ligt, and the most logical way of getting that money is by selling a player that's on huge wages and can attract big offers, any other player that can rake more than 50M the next summer will hit our squad depth harder than Umtiti leaving.

So, I think it basically comes to one thing, at the time of sorting our back line we'll have to choose between keeping Lenglet/Umtiti while missing on De Ligt and keep searching for the new Pique, or leave the back line set for years with Lenglet/De Jong with Pique as the 3rd option and a couple seasons to develop other defenders.

Now, I'm not totally sold on thinking that United should sign Umtiti 100%, I don't want them to get a player with knee problems and that doubt won't dissipate in the next 2 months, but I'd love to see Umtiti end up there and stay healthy, I think he'd be a great fit, and who knows, maybe with Umtiti and Pogba, you can lure Varane to Old Trafford too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No thanks. Great CB, but we can not have another injury prone CB.

Crustanoid

We’ll sign him for 90 mil then he’ll spend more than half of the six year contract injured.

Put money on it

We are the laughing stock of global transfers etc

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We’ll sign him for 90 mil then he’ll spend more than half of the six year contract injured.

Put money on it

We are the laughing stock of global transfers etc
You put money on it. It ain't happening.

passing-wind

Why do people always relate missing these kind of players to not having a DoF?

We do have international scouts but we can’t buy everyone. Not having a DoF has nothing to do with it. I have seen some people continually make lists of their favourite players and say we’ve missed out on them because we don’t have one.
The reason why people keep demanding a director of football is because we must be the only team in modern history with a vice chairman spearheading our transfer policy. A vice chairman who has absolutely zero football knowledge, has a commercial background which has no correlation to the relevance of football.

I would share you countless articles about the structure of the club being scrutinised not only by the media, but by our managers, Sir Alex and scouts who have made recommendations to Woodward only to have us fail to capitalise on them doing their job. Unless you have knowledge of another role the club can inherit to provide a solution for this catalogue of problems, by all means go ahead.

A director of football means we have a realistic infrastructure, in 10 years the only viable prospective signing we have made indicative of a "scouting network" is Martial. For a club of our stature that is a disagrace and a reason why we now find ourselves having to invest millions into the first 11.

Cliche Guevara

That’s just an argument to support hiring a DoF. It has nothing to do with not signing specific individual players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I feel that it's a new "Dembélé" and Umtiti is going nowhere.

Ekeke

He's fairly good overall. But he's a CB who averages less than 1 aerial per match. Smalling can probably cover him but still

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Barca signing De Ligt would not alter his place on the squad. Lenglet and him are their LCBs De Ligt would be a RCB for them.

NoPace

Barcelona gave him an expensive new contract last summer and now his knee has been busted and they want to get rid. Easy to see why we should steer clear and not help Barcelona out by giving them squad space and money to buy de Ligt.

It's a similar situation to Bale in that the player himself is a big name and plays in a position where we need a new signing (left sided centre back, right wing) but the reason their current club want the player to leave is exactly why United should stay away.
Umtiti is a 25 year old CB, the upside on buying him is miles higher than Bale. If Umtiti can stay healthy he'll be a top 5 player in his position in the world for the next 6 or 7 years. That's probably worth at least 100M. Tough to see a winger like Bale, who would be 30 if he came here this summer, producing that much value.

He was fantastic during the World Cup. People can worry about Burnley or whatever giving our CBs problems with set pieces but the best way to defend is to keep the ball far from your goal and Umtiti would help a ton with that both in and out of possession.

TLDR: He's good, if we think he'll play 200 times for us over the next 6-7 years with an injury or two sprinkled in, do it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We don’t need another crock. I also think we need to put an end to our recent penchant for signing players from other big clubs, and instead focus on hungry up-and-comers again.

reddevil702

How much cheaper would be in compared to someone like Skriniar? Unless there's real value, it wouldn't make sense to go this route.

goin4glory

One thing I don't understand about our club is why we can't obtain these players before they join the big clubs. We always seem to end up with the scraps, players the big teams don't want anymore.

Everyone has been banging on about us needing to sign De Ligt and yet Barcelona seem most likely to get him with us now being linked with their scraps.

Im not saying umtiti isn't a good player but I just wish we made those fast moves like Barcelona and the other big teams seem to.

We can't seem to get elite players and when we do it's usually when the team wants to get rid or they're running contracts down.

For example, we should have gone for Sanchez when Barcelona sold him to arsenal but we ended up with another Rooney on stupid wages.

We also ended up with Di Maria who was linked to PSG, we break our record and paid 60m and then he leaves for PSG a year later for 45m after a diabolical season.

There is also the Lozano case. He was wanting to join us and publicly said so as he supports us and we end up letting him join PSV for peanuts and now we're wanting to buy him for 35-40m. (still a bargain).

Now we're also linked with Kroos for 50m after Madrid have had their fair usage and it just seems like we're happy to have the scraps.

Juve are the best at getting scrap players but they at least build a good team first and then those players who join aren't under crazy pressure to perform although they do walk the league.

I'm sure you all know what I'm on about though, we just can't tempt players entering their prime and they would rather join us for a retirement package.

Ibra was great, but why couldn't we get him when he went to PSG initially.

Rant over
I agree, we just aren't particularly clever or forward thinking in the transfer market.

We really should have been in the running for Hernandez given his age/quality and our need for a LCB. 80m isn't that much when Maguire is gonna cost 50+ as is Koulibaly.

Bayern and Juve have realised they have to be astute in the market because premier league financial strength.

Our transfer policy looks like throwing darts blindfolded.

RU Devil

Considering all the noise of not spending big or even saving 50 mil on a CB, Umtiti is going flat. No need to help Barca help finance De Ligt so either get the man himself (De Ligt) or Varane, otherwise we are nailed on for Alderweireld.

Alabaster Codify7

Brilliant h="crossy1686, post: 23887868, member: 52276"]Umtiti looks like Kolo Toure's dad. He's from the Diego Costa school of ageing. Never looked a day under 40 in his life.[/QUOTE]
Brilliant Hahahaha

stepic

the daily mail is one of the press reporting and this is thread worthy?

Jibbs

I am willing to take a gamble on him if he is available for 40 to 50 m bracket. It will be amazing if it turns out like Robben for Bayern.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he seriously available? Absolute top class player, why is he rumoured to leave?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because Barca was De Ligt and there's no room for him, Pique, Lenglet and Umtiti
I'd take Umtiti over Lenglet easily. He'd be my first choice for a defender to buy this summer if he's realistically available (knowing there is just no way we'd get ahead of other teams for de Ligt). Left footed too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd take Umtiti over Lenglet easily. He'd be my first choice for a defender to buy this summer if he's realistically available (knowing there is just no way we'd get ahead of other teams for de Ligt). Left footed too.
I'd expect if they get him Pique and De Ligt will be their first choice partnership next season with Lenglet warming the bench