Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I disagree about that weakest squad thing. They have one of the best attacking squads in the league. Auba, Laca, Ozil, Mhiki..arent exactly fringe players. Any manager would drool at those options.
Our defense is awful to be fair and there isn’t much depth to it either. Hopefully Kos comes back in top form but we’ve been riding our luck in so many games
this season where we should have been smashed.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I still don't like Mustafi or our defence in general. We give up far too many chances at the back and if we do finish in the top 4 this season, then its the first area I want to be addressed in the summer.

Mustafi isn't good enough to be the starting CB for a title winning team and that is our ambition.
Yeah I agree, but he's been better this season at least

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Well if the players aren't capable of doing so and the club refuses to buy those that are...
It was JM who bought Bailly and Lindelof in the first place. Emery is asking the likes of Cech, Sokratis, Holding and Mustafi to play from the back. Leno appears to be the only one used to it prior to signing for us.

JM can do the same. He is the last person to blame it all on a lack of transfers.

LeftyBlaster

Emery is showing what can be achieved with good coaching and allowing players to express themselves. He has a less talented squad than Mourinho but they look miles better than us.

All of our managers since SAF have been too defensive and negative in their approach. They have also all sulked or been unable to adapt when they didn’t get their top transfer targets.

Emery is making the best of what he has and knows he can’t compete at the top end of the transfer market and it makes a mockery of any excuses for Mourinho.
100% this.

It was JM who bought Bailly and Lindelof in the first place. Emery is asking the likes of Cech, Sokratis, Holding and Mustafi to play from the back. Leno appears to be the only one used to it prior to signing for us.

JM can do the same. He is the last person to blame it all on a lack of transfers.
Exactly - people are just looking for excuses

Zoo

He is actually coaching them, it was evident from their first game. Whether he'll lead then to the big prizes is another question but compare his and Sarri's work after just a few months to what Mourinho is doing and it's like night and day.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

He is actually coaching them, it was evident from their first game. Whether he'll lead then to the big prizes is another question but compare his and Sarri's work after just a few months to what Mourinho is doing and it's like night and day.
It's outrageous, we've had players who are more than good enough for the last 5 years, to perform better than we have been and with an identity, no moreso than now.. yet we have to give each manager 3-4 year, £500m etc before we can expect to see ourselves kick on?

Arsenal have improved from Arsene without doubt, perhaps the likes of Jardim or Poch could turn our fortunes around somewhat in a short period of time.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

E-fecking-zactly. Klopp also has Hendo and Milner running rings around the best midfields, because he gives them the confidence to play out from difficult situations without fear - they know he will back them if they make a mistake and Emery has given the Arsenal team that same injection of confidence, in addition to coaching them technically and tactically as to what positions to take, what touches to take, what passes to make in order to successfully play out from the back. If they get it wrong, stay patient until they improve at it and let them execute it in games.

Compare that to Jose - one mistake and you're benched. Play it long when there is danger around you. Aim for Lukaku's big head or Fellaini's large hairy chest.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Does he continue to make the 3 subs in the last 5 or 10 minutes of every single game whatever the result?

ArseHat

Does he continue to make the 3 subs in the last 5 or 10 minutes of every single game whatever the result?
Not at all, actually. He’s been proactive, and his subs have proven to be masterstrokes more often than not so far.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not at all. Actually, he’s been fairly proactive, and his subs have proven to be masterstrokes more often than not so far.
Good for you but it was not the case in Paris!

AndyJ1985

All our rivals hire managers who instantly make a positive impact. But there are still people on here who tell us that hiring a new manager will change absolutely nothing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Our defense is awful to be fair and there isn’t much depth to it either. Hopefully Kos comes back in top form but we’ve been riding our luck in so many games
this season where we should have been smashed.
Arsenal seem to have an odd mentality when game is level.

As soon as they score it seems the confidence flows, chests are puffed out and they quickly score another to wrap up the game. Happened on Monday and also v Fulham, Everton, Watford, West Ham and Newcastle.

Think Emery will be desperate to get that mentality going from 0-0 as that's what still seperates Arsenal from the top 3 who control the game from the first minute.

Top 4 is achievable though which would be a good season.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal seem to have an odd mentality when game is level.

As soon as they score it seems the confidence flows, chests are puffed out and they quickly score another to wrap up the game. Happened on Monday and also v Fulham, Everton, Watford, West Ham and Newcastle.

Think Emery will be desperate to get that mentality going from 0-0 as that's what still seperates Arsenal from the top 3 who control the game from the first minute.

Top 4 is achievable though which would be a good season.
It looks like they get better as the game progresses. Any team that wants to beat them must do the biz in the first half because they turn on the power and are unstoppable in the second half.

montpelier

I have to confess that I had Utd & Arsenal as being in similar situations but they have obviously outperformed us.

Yet again, I don't think this is entirely down to being JUST our manager & his approach.

OK, Emery is new to the job which gives him some advantages - also he seems relatively sane & sensible, :D.

But he can & obviously has 'gingered up' the motivation - he didn't give Wilshere a contract where we would presume that Wenger probably would have. It's quite a big marker being put down for the other players. He brought in 4-5 new players for extra competition & Utd didn't. Competition for places & a message that things are different now. Also the training is probably fresher, it's different, he might have got them fitter as some have said.

But for the teams & the level of ability & this idea that Mourinho is holding back Utd & the only reason - well there isn't a comparison for me when I re-examine the similar situation question.

Utd cannot transfer the ball around the park like these Arse guys, we can't press like these Arse guys & others, we can't leave our defence attempting to look after itself and trying to pass the ball out from very deep. The supposedly key personnel in the team (let's say positionally) just are not going to be doing that.

I would imagine Mourinho knows this - or he's got a problem if he doesn't. We need the lose this idea or the purity of the idea that we'd be briliant with a new manager, we really do.

I hate to say it but the thread titled about how average Utd are getting is closer to it, than the million of other 'convos' all saying the same thing all round the place.

As for Emery & Arsenal, I would think top London club would be the absolute best they might do but lovely to watch vs. the less good 15 teams in the League. They might even beat us for once if this carries on.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

And the same analogy could go with Otamendi as well, for example. He started to build attacks last year like there was no tomorrow. I guess it could have been similar with Emery, but have my doubts on Mourinho...

montpelier

It does seem like the last thing Jose would ever try & do. Just not his style is it?

Arsenal 4:2 Tottenham

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Makes me even more desperate to see the back of Mourinho. The job he's done with the same group of players...I repeat, the same group of players is incredible. Six months ago, we were talking about Arsenal as finished as a top club on their way to mid table mediocrity.

They play fantastic football.

Minimalist

Thank god Arsenal gave him those 4 years to get his system in place and gave him £500m to spend in the market. Was all worth it.

reddaz71

Cannot for the life of me figure out why they didnt go for Moyes......make us look distinctively amateurish in that its been a seamless transition from Wenger To Emery,clearly did their homework!

Ekeke

He just has his team actually wanting to get forward and score goals. Something foreign to Jose

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Makes me even more desperate to see the back of Mourinho. The job he's done with the same group of players...I repeat, the same group of players is incredible. Six months ago, we were talking about Arsenal as finished as a top club on their way to mid table mediocrity.
They play fantastic football.
Not just Emery but Sarri at Chelsea as well and look what Conte did initially at Chelsea when he took over from Mourinho. Everyone does these new managers better than us

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's he feeding his team during half time? Arsenal are immense in 2nd halfs all season long.

izec

Examples all over the place, but the Jose fans will find ways to defend him. Arsenal look completely different

Ekeke

92nd minute, breaking with 3 attackers to Spurs 2 defenders. Granted Spurs are a man down, but you get the point. In a game you're already winning where realistically you thrashed your opponent and they got some luck to stay in it for a bit, and at 92 mins you have 3 players breaking against 2 to try and get another

Kostur

海尔的老板
Examples all over the place, but the Jose fans will find ways to defend him. Arsenal look completely different
Also a proof that you don't need to mis-hire 3 different managers after a long-term previous manager but can hire one and not make your club fall into obscurity.