Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

meninred

I have become a fan of Emery. I remember phil neville praising him during interview.He has combined tatctics with attacking football and probably the best coach in substitions.

Castia

Really impressive how they’re playing considering they don’t have the best squad.

I dread to think what level they will reach after 2-3 transfer windows.

izec

Really impressive how they’re playing considering they don’t have the best squad.

I dread to think what level they will reach after 2-3 transfer windows.
Better than us if we keep on dreaming and waiting, thats for sure. Soon there will be established a top 5 in the table, with United leading the rest of the midtable teams with Everton.

0le

Oh for sure mate. I just think we still have room for improvement and the best is yet to come. Once we fix the defence, we can be really good.
Yes. I hope my previous message didn't come across as a criticism of your original comment because that was not the intention.

Ekeke

He's surprisingly young tbh. He's 47. I genuinely thought he passed the 50 mark already.
I believe he was the youngest coach in La Liga at least during his first years at Valencia. When some of their fans got tired of him and the team not continuously progressing, I thought it was best to stick with him because of his age.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Hi Redcafe posters I joined coming in peace to post about the upcoming match and it seems I can't so I'll post here.

Well when do we ever win at Old Trafford? Even Moyes team put us away there. Mourinho hates us so you'd expect he'd be well up for this. He even got you performing well against Chelsea. So I'm expecting United to maybe change their. You have the class with Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Mata. Although it sounds like Matic is having a poor season, is he out of form or past his best? Fred I thought would be a good signing but he hasn't adapted to the league yet looking at the games he has played, or am I wrong?

It seems like United have the technical talent at their disposal but the manager wants to play cautious defensive football. But it worked last year, you finished second, so what's gone so wrong? It seems the players aren't playing for the manager at this moment but then you have occasional good performances that show the sides potential. This could happen against us because you have the attacking talents to punish our leaky defense. Although I do feel allot safer with

Arsenal have a chance because Emery has made us more dynamic going forward, has put some fight and morale in this squad and his tactical plans against Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs worked really well. He must drill players hard at half time team talks because he adapts the tactics and substitutions to change our game

Looking forward to it with a healthy dose of apprehension

Makes me even more desperate to see the back of Mourinho. The job he's done with the same group of players...I repeat, the same group of players is incredible. Six months ago, we were talking about Arsenal as finished as a top club on their way to mid table mediocrity.

They play fantastic football.
It should be noted that while we had a low points total last season at home we actually matched the Invincibles points tally. On the road we had no bottle and the team had completely given up the fight. But they weren't a bad team, they were a bit like your collective group right now, not fighting for the manager.

Imagine Mourinho having to constantly play Rob Holding?
Holding is a top talent with mistakes still in his game. Mustafi is the weakest part of our defense and fortunately might be injured for our game against you.

Didn't Wenger beat Spurs at Emirates last season 2-0 too anyway ?
Yes, It's a good point and Spurs did play most these players mid-week. Turning round a deficit in the manner we did was impressive none the less.

And yet we have Jose crying because he didn't get a CB. What a farce. Really enjoy watching Arsenal play.
Is that not fair though? And did Mourinho want Fred because Mourinho said a modern manager and isn't playing the lad. If the board are signing players the manager doesn't rate there is big problem within the club.

Reactions: Invictus

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Emery's halftime substitutions on Saturday against Spurs were brilliant. So many managers wit till the 70 minute mark. It takes guts to make those attacking moves at half time.

LeftyBlaster

Is that not fair though? And did Mourinho want Fred because Mourinho said a modern manager and isn't playing the lad. If the board are signing players the manager doesn't rate there is big problem within the club.
It is fair when we look at it in isolation. But as you have also noticed, we have an already very talented squad that should not be underperforming to such a poor standard. Jose does not need a new CB to play good football or beat relegation threatened teams, never mind play well against them.

Bwuk

The only chance we have is if Arsenal play 352 and Martial can get in behind the space Bellerin will leave - bit Emery isn’t stupid and will know that’s our only real threat.

Emery has surprised me - he’s been a fantastic appointment.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Emery's halftime substitutions on Saturday against Spurs were brilliant. So many managers wit till the 70 minute mark. It takes guts to make those attacking moves at half time.
His starting line-up was wrong in the first place. The changes at half-time should have started. On current form Ramsey is way better than Mkhitaryan.

John_Jensen

Great purchase by Emery
His starting line-up was wrong in the first place. The changes at half-time should have started. On current form Ramsey is way better than Mkhitaryan.

Mkyitaryan & Iwobi ran themselves into the ground and were a part of the reason Arsenal dominated the first half hour. Them going flat out for as long as they could and being replaced relatively early was pre planned i'd imagine.

Indivdual mistakes giving Spurs 2 goals meant they were replaced at half time rather than around 55-60min mark imo.

diarm

The only chance we have is if Arsenal play 352 and Martial can get in behind the space Bellerin will leave - bit Emery isn’t stupid and will know that’s our only real threat.
What odds Arsenal lineout exactly like that but wr start with Martial on the bench?

Needham

Hat tip to him for burying Ozil. That said, I hate him for the inevitable bid we'll make for Ozil.

fellaini's barber

What I got out of yesterday was that Arse have much worse defenders than us,plus a shite keeper. Yet he has them up there. Yet Jose and his goons will tell you we have the worse defense in the world

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What I got out of yesterday was that Arse have much worse defenders than us,plus a shite keeper. Yet he has them up there. Yet Jose and his goons will tell you we have the worse defense in the world
Disagree.

United have conceded 25 goals so far this season, with the best keeper in league on the last line, whilst we have conceded 20 with a new keeper who is finding his feet.

United have a Manager who has had three years to implement his dour defensive strategy, his game plan is defend first, score second. Whilst Emery has been here for not half a season, and has the team playing high-octane attacking football, which naturally leaves defences more vulnerable than any style Mourinho tries to implement.

Players like Rojo, Young, Valencia, Jones, Smalling, that Swede are at least as poor/average as Mustafi, Kolo, Holding.

CA1

feck me Arsenal were hopeless.

If they can't beat our lot last night, they might aswell pack it in. One of the worst Arsenal teams to come to our place in years and they've had some real shit with the 8-2, 6-1 etc.

Emery has come in and done pretty well from outside looking in but it's going to need a lot more money and a lot more time.

red4ever 79

If they can't beat our lot last night, they might aswell pack it in. One of the worst Arsenal teams to come to our place in years and they've had some real shit with the 8-2, 6-1 etc.

Emery has come in and done pretty well from outside looking in but it's going to need a lot more money and a lot more time.
I would suggest rather than focusing on the fact that Arsenal couldnt beat our sack of cr*ap, that you spend your time and energy on our sack of c*ap. I know who's shoes I would rather be in right. Arsenal are clearly progressing game by game under a decent manager. They have a decent identity and players fighting for each other. Yes they still need some investment but I would be more worried as a Utd fan right now with what is happening in our house than what is happening in their house.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

It's nice that you were able to raise your game against us and scrape a draw at home.

CA1

I would suggest rather than focusing on the fact that Arsenal couldnt beat our sack of cr*ap, that you spend your time and energy on our sack of c*ap. I know who's shoes I would rather be in right. Arsenal are clearly progressing game by game under a decent manager. They have a decent identity and players fighting for each other. Yes they still need some investment but I would be more worried as a Utd fan right now with what is happening in our house than what is happening in their house.
We're beyond hopeless too. I've spent plenty of time, energy and money on our sack of crap my friend. Going to Old Trafford week in week week out don't talk to me about the energy I spend on this club.

Arsenal are in a better mood and still enjoying a new manager bounce with fresh ideas. They're going nowhere with that team.

Manchester United and Arsenal playing a game and not one proper ball player on the pitch. Somone who can unlock a door. The Arsenal lad with the curly hair was closest and was the best player on the pitch. There was actually plenty effort from both. But a lack of quality and some awful mistakes.

I've seen lots of great United and Arsenal teams grace the ground I was watching last night, yesterday's teams were as bad as I can remember from both.

I'm not blaming Emery, but they need to put some real money in if they're to seriously improve that team in my opinion.

red4ever 79

It's nice that you were able to raise your game against us and scrape a draw at home.
Dont worry about him. Probably the most stupid person on this forum. I was impressed with Arsenal last night, their ability to retain possession, move from back to front fluidly. The two guys in CM that you have were miles ahead of ours in terms of ability and technique. If you consider 7 points out of 9 since the International break you would be a happy gooner. A couple of decent CB's and a RW and you will be competing next season.

CA1

We played no better than we have done this season against people like Palace and Wolves.

We played better vs Tottenham and they humped us 3-0.

Arsenal are in big trouble, give it 12 months and people will see its still nearly as big as the trouble we're in.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

Classy manager.
What? That was his chance to say it as it is. How he set up the team perfectly and Saed made a little mistake that cost them two points. I'm so confused.

red4ever 79

We're beyond hopeless too. I've spent plenty of time, energy and money on our sack of crap my friend. Going to Old Trafford week in week week out don't talk to me about the energy I spend on this club.

Arsenal are in a better mood and still enjoying a new manager bounce with fresh ideas. They're going nowhere with that team.

Manchester United and Arsenal playing a game and not one proper ball player on the pitch. Somone who can unlock a door. The Arsenal lad with the curly hair was closest and was the best player on the pitch. There was actually plenty effort from both. But a lack of quality and some awful mistakes.

I've seen lots of great United and Arsenal teams grace the ground I was watching last night, yesterday's teams were as bad as I can remember from both.

I'm not blaming Emery, but they need to put some real money in if they're to seriously improve that team in my opinion.
You said Arsenal were hopeless and that was blatantly not true. Apart from the first 10 mins and maybe the first 10 mins of the second half they were the better team. They played with a confidence an identity and they looked better than us. They are probably dissappointed they didnt beat us. Of course they need to spend some money, but from what I have seen so far with the investment they have made under this manager, it has been money well spent.

CA1

You said Arsenal were hopeless and that was blatantly not true. Apart from the first 10 mins and maybe the first 10 mins of the second half they were the better team. They played with a confidence an identity and they looked better than us. They are probably dissappointed they didnt beat us. Of course they need to spend some money, but from what I have seen so far with the investment they have made under this manager, it has been money well spent.
They were hopeless in comparison to some of the Arsenal teams I've seen at Old Trafford down the years. Some of Wenger's more recent teams had much better quality technically.

It's only one match but I thought they were terrible, we were worse and at least they tried to play more. They kept going backwards all the time it was bizarre.

Young Arsenal midfielder with the curls looked a good player.

red4ever 79

They were hopeless in comparison to some of the Arsenal teams I've seen at Old Trafford down the years. Some of Wenger's more recent teams had much better quality technically.

It's only one match but I thought they were terrible, we were worse and at least they tried to play more. They kept going backwards all the time it was bizarre.

Im sorry I just cannot agree with you. If you are referring to teams at the beginning of Wenger's reign then of course these are legendary Premier league sides. However the Arsenal side of the last 5 years under Wenger was gutless, spineless and likely to fold at any moment. The clear difference with this team under Emery is there is a big of fight from the players a spirit and players who were c*ap under Wenger like Iwobi and Bellerin are performing much better with a clearer idea of their roles in the team

CA1

Im sorry I just cannot agree with you. If you are referring to teams at the beginning of Wenger's reign then of course these are legendary Premier league sides. However the Arsenal side of the last 5 years under Wenger was gutless, spineless and likely to fold at any moment. The clear difference with this team under Emery is there is a big of fight from the players a spirit and players who were c*ap under Wenger like Iwobi and Bellerin are performing much better with a clearer idea of their roles in the team
Bellerin was up there as the worst player on the pitch.

They couldn't keep hold of a lead for more than 2 minutes. Didn't strike me as a side that didn't look likely to fold, quite the opposite.

It's not a Wenger vs Emery thing at all, Arsenal needed a change but they need better football players just like we do. The lack of quality, vision, awareness, skill etc from both teams was really bad.

Just my opinion.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal

20 games unbeaten, progress on the field and in the league, Europa league progression, still in the cups. Back in August we were’nt even a consideration for top 4.

You’re right, things are looking dire.

CA1

20 games unbeaten, progress on the field and in the league, Europa league progression, still in the cups. Back in August we were’nt even a consideration for top 4.

You’re right, things are looking dire.
If you've only been supporting Arsenal for 4-5 years I can see why you'd think it was pretty good.

But this is Arsenal. I've seen some of your lot come to our place and play with everything you'd want to see from a football team all over the pitch.

All I'm saying there is a long way to go and a lot of money to be spent to get you close to the top of the English game never mind the European game (which Arsenal have never been in their history)

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
If you've only been supporting Arsenal for 4-5 years I can see why you'd think it was pretty good.

But this is Arsenal. I've seen some of your lot come to our place and play with everything you'd want to see from a football team all over the pitch.

All I'm saying there is a long way to go and a lot of money to be spent to get you close to the top of the English game never mind the European game (which Arsenal have never been in their history)

Well our gameplan went out with two early injuries so there's that. Our major problem is in defence and everyone knows about that. All your saying is what all gooners know anyway.