Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

el3mel

That's really a dogshite state. He and his players must be ashamed of themselves.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If things were working out, i'd understand keeping Ozil and Torreira out but we look like conceding 5 every single game while creating next to nothing...
Palace at home next and we know how it turned out last year, Zaha will be well up for it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Anyone have any idea what's going wrong for him ? I rate him very highly but he just hasn't been able to make it happen.

Is it the players or tactics ? Do you think lack of right players is hindering him ?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Anyone have any idea what's going wrong for him ? I rate him very highly but he just hasn't been able to make it happen.

Is it the players or tactics ? Do you think lack of right players is hindering him ?
I think he hasn't adapted to English football. He sets his team up the same every week, which you can get away with in Spain where the lower placed teams will generally roll over for you, even away from home. In the Premier League it's a dog fight now and everyone is up for beating you.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
if i were a manager with a really good playmaker i would simply insert him into the lineup
Ozil isn't interested in playing away games though, look at all the ones in the north of England he's missed with "illness" in last 2-3 years, it's a scandal.

I'm pretty sure he only played at Stoke once in five seasons.

Of course if it's a europa league final in far flung Baku that's a different story.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Has anything truly changed since Wenger left?

They've gone sideways

I suppose its better than where we went

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Has anything truly changed since Wenger left?

They've gone sideways

I suppose its better than where we went
With liverpool and city above the rest sideways is considered good.

You cant realistically challenge city with their money. Money isnt everything but city's money is something else.

I'd say emery will be doing a good job if he can finish 4th all things considered.

jackal&hyde

I maintain that it was a mistake to replace Wenger. The problem was not the manager but the players not being good enough. Very similar situation to United.

Treble

With liverpool and city above the rest sideways is considered good.

You cant realistically challenge city with their money. Money isnt everything but city's money is something else.

I'd say emery will be doing a good job if he can finish 4th all things considered.
Liverpool challenged City last season and are 6 pts ahead this season. You can challenge City if you have a world class manager. City have a lot of quality in the squad but the squad is relatively small and susceptible to injury crises. They have only two pure strikers and 3 CBs, if you don't count 18 and 17 y.o. players as genuine options. Liverpool are challenging them with less investments in their squad than us, 2 pts off the relegation zone.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Liverpool challenged City last season and are 6 pts ahead this season. You can challenge City if you have a world class manager. City have a lot of quality in the squad but the squad is relatively small and susceptible to injury crises. They have only two pure strikers and 3 CBs, if you don't count 18 and 17 y.o. players as genuine options. Liverpool are challenging them with less investments in their squad than us, 2 pts off the relegation zone.
Not everyone is pep and kloopp.

It's like saying you can do what United do if you have a good manager, sometimes you don't always get your fergie

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not everyone is pep and kloopp.

It's like saying you can do what United do if you have a good manager, sometimes you don't always get your fergie
Yes but no one thought Klopp will be making 95+ points before last season. Conte in his first season made 90+ points and that's with average start and changing system during the season.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal
He is shocking, you know as soon as you see the line up that the football is going to be awful, every single time, only games I have enjoyed this season are the Europa league games where he actually plays attacking but he is a coward so that will change once we actually play a good team

Fan unrest is increasing now, hopefully fans make it obvious at home games now and this fraud is told where to go, sadly the board wont do a thing

Josep Dowling

I don’t think Arsenal’s problems are tactical, their entire squad just has a soft underbelly.

How is Xhaka still playing in midfield let alone their captain? He makes a lot of mistakes, picks up cheap cards and gives away silly fouls. I know Torreira was having issues being in London, has that been resolved? He is exactly what Arsenal need in midfield.

They have issues in the transfer window because of their lack of budget. It’s clear they needed a decent CB for about 10 years. Buying David Luiz was never going to resolve that issue.

In defence LB is also a problem. Is Tierney ever fit? Kolasniac is very poor defensively.

They have this issue with Ozil that just isn’t going to be resolved. He’s on too much much money and a very similar situation to Bale at Real Madrid. It’s a huge lesson to all big clubs to never change their wages structure for one player.

And their attack doesn’t have any balance. It chop and changes all the time. They have this issue where their two best players play the same position in Aubameyang and Lacazette. I know Aubameyang is their top scorer but I would inclined to put him out wide to allow both to start, he use to play RW for Dortmund.

And finally Pepe. He is such an infuriating player to watch. I see talent, great feet, has done some lovely skill but his final ball and shooting hasn’t been Premier League standard yet. I think Evra’s assessment of him needing to strengthen up is correct. Given time I think he could be a good player.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

I think he's a mid-table manager with serious failing:

A) Can't handle big personalities or stars. Famously couldn't at PSG and has frozen out Ozil who said in the Europa Final 'you are not a coach'

B) Won't play creative midfielders, prefers workhorses. When he does play creative players he wants them to either it knock it wide to the fullback or play down the wings. That's why he's killed Ozil's career and Ceballos isn't doing as well as he should be.

C) His whole system of play is knock everything outwide to the fullback to cross, cross and cross some more. This would be okay if it was a wing system like say Fergie's where the fullback and winger at least interchanged quickly, the ball is knocked in front of the winger and just occasionally the winger cuts in and shoots. But no we play the ball to the fecking wingers feet so they have no momentum and they get quickly tackled because they're closed down

D) The old Arsenal play of interchanging triangular passes while moving, pressing that Wenger gave us has been totally killed off.

E) Bellerin and Tierney are very good fullbacks and aren't ready yet, either that or he's prefered their sub par. For a manager who concentrates on wing attacks through fullbacks above all else this obviously sets him back. But a manager being that limited shows his level.

F) His defensive tactic is to have everyone drop deep and not press or challenge so the opposition have countless shots. To be fair against Liverpool they didn't create anything until they scored a header at a corner. Then when we came out of our shell they ripped us to shreds.

He's our version of Moyes and yes Wenger would be doing a load better job and have us actually playing football right now. I imagine someone like Brendan Rodgers would be getting the best out of Ozil while having dynamic forward movement in front of him, we'd score loads.

If going top 4 means we keep him, I hope we do not get top 4.

BTW I believe I'm 1 Like off getting 10 Likes, any chance of a Like?

Skills

Snitch
I think he's done an okay job in moving the club on from Wenger. They probably need a change at the end of the season, if they don't kick on under him.

passing-wind

Unsure on Emery never stood out to me as a quality manager more of a capable individual who will get a minimal job done. There's good points and bad ones. Arsenal still have a strong home record, he's integrated various youth players and seemingly his coaching is giving individual players improvement in a few area's. This is why I'd take him over Solskjaer because atleast he has a few things going for him where as the only consistent positive with Ole is his positive demeanor in press conferences.

Negatives are supposedly too much tinkering with the starting 11, players playing in unfamiliar positions, loyalty to mediocrity, lack of attacking philosophy and he's not perhaps utilising the strongest squad which is harming the teams capabilities. I don't think Arsenal's situation is as bad as the fans make out, aside a poor defence the rest of the field has enough quality for them to easily attain a 3rd place finish. They should adopt a similar mentality to Lampard by focusing solely on the teams strengths in hope of less exposure to the weaknesses.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He's doing worse than literally the worst version of Wenger. :lol:
Wow! I didn't expect that. They seemed to have a good run last year at some point, they've obviously been pretty awful since then.

I can't understand why he's keeping Lacazette out of the team also. He and Aubameyang were carrying them most of the time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wow! I didn't expect that. They seemed to have a good run last year at some point, they've obviously been pretty awful since then.

I can't understand why he's keeping Lacazette out of the team also. He and Aubameyang were carrying them most of the time.
Hes been injured

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Klopp took over in 2015, not 2017 though. It took him about 2 years to build a really good attacking unit (Liverpool only secured 4th on last day of 16/17 season). Even then as Liverpool were entertaining to watch they still let in so many stupid goals. Only became true title contenders once VVD and Allisson came in.

Problem with Emery is their style of football looks even worse this season than last, no real style apart from hoping PEA or Lacazette will do something in the final third.

This despite a reasonable amount of investment in the summer.

meamth

Unai Emery has revealed Fabinho was a target for Arsenal, before Liverpool signed him from Monaco last summer.

Emery was Paris Saint-Germain boss when Fabinho helped Monaco beat his side to the league title in 2017, and the Spaniard admits that he wanted to sign the midfielder when he was appointed Arsenal manager last year.
Wow. Wenger MKII.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Another good example that you don't need half a dozen transfer windows to implement a system.
Doing a good job.
Good manager.
Why has he been able to get it right in months, while the "serial winner" Mourinho needs 3+ seasons?
Knows how he wants to play and doing it. Their insistence on passing it out from the back is also admirable.
:smirk:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure why you're quoting me. At the time I posted - which was like a year ago, he was doing a 'good job'.

I'm sure we can all go back and make comments about stuff that was said a year back.
Was he though? Define what 'doing a good job' is? Because no one can look back on Emery last season and say he did a good job just as no one can look at him now and say he's doing a good job

Walters_19_MuFc

Was he though? Define what 'doing a good job' is? Because no one can look back on Emery last season and say he did a good job just as no one can look at him now and say he's doing a good job
Yes. In my opinion, he was doing a good job, hence why I wrote it at the time.

It's like Ole was doing a good job when he came in.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He looks more confused than Ole whenever the camera pans to him on the touchline.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I still don't really understand how they set up to play. At least Wenger had that going for him at the end.

I thought he'd be doing better than this tbh. I remember when Arsenal looked set to get Arteta and then Emery came in from nowhere. It seemed like they'd got Wenger's replacement spot on. A manager who has won things and has good experience with clubs in Spain & France. Seemed like a good fit to me.

They aren't moving forward under Emery though. Defensively they're a mess and they can't control games.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think he hasn't adapted to English football. He sets his team up the same every week, which you can get away with in Spain where the lower placed teams will generally roll over for you, even away from home. In the Premier League it's a dog fight now and everyone is up for beating you.
He mainly overachieved at European competitions. In domestic competitions he lacked consistency which on long term costed his job.

I do also rate him as a very good manager: you don't win all those cups without having merit and method.