Unai Emery - Ex-Arsenal Manager

United58

Problem with LVG is their style of football looks even worse this season than last, no real style apart from hoping Rooney or Martial will do something in the final third.

This despite a reasonable amount of investment in the summer.
They're just like us back in 2015.

Not that we're any better now.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Can not wait until we get rid of this useless manager. Complete coward and spineless on and off the pitch. Despite having a much stronger squad we have been going backwards under him.

I'd get rid of him right now, still think our squad has enough to get into the Top 4 under any semi competent manager.

VJ1762

The only things Unai has improved are Wenger's legacy and Ozil's reputation.

And Arsenal seems to hire managers with strange connections to the club.

Arsene - Arsenal
Emery - Emirates

van Hooijdonk

Unai Emery is a good coach, but definitely not a top class. They should've hired someone better. I can't see much of an upgrade on Wenger.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I still don't really understand how they set up to play. At least Wenger had that going for him at the end.

I thought he'd be doing better than this tbh. I remember when Arsenal looked set to get Arteta and then Emery came in from nowhere. It seemed like they'd got Wenger's replacement spot on. A manager who has won things and has good experience with clubs in Spain & France. Seemed like a good fit to me.

They aren't moving forward under Emery though. Defensively they're a mess and they can't control games.
I said at the time I was happier they had Emery instead. I didn't expect him to become as bad as he has but I knew he'd never have Arsenal challenging which meant one less team to worry about in terms of the title.

Arteta is a risk but at the same time a blank canvas, could go spectacularly wrong but at the same time could be revelutionary. Would rather as a fan take a gamble like that as a fan than settle for a safe and boring option like Emery who's absolute ceiling is a top 4 challenge.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Unai Emery is a good coach, but definitely not a top class. They should've hired someone better. I can't see much of an upgrade on Wenger.
It was either him or Arteta.

Could actually see them going for an Arteta style appointment next summer as they do have some decent young players like Saka that need to be devloped.

andy dufresne

Emery WILL fail at Arsenal over time simply because rather like the previous and lets not forget here, successful manager before him (in terms of winning trophies I mean) he is not interested in a tight and efficient defence and will never sign players who are leaders and don't mind throwing themselves in front of a ball if it means getting hit in the face.It is all well and good having an exciting attack and don't get me wrong here,I do like Lacazette and Aubameyang in particular but without those "dogs of war" or hardy tough defenders or enforces at the back and in the midfield areas, they will always be a what if kind of team that may win a cup competition and no more than that.As for Emery,I could see him returning to the Continent and doing quite well again but certainly not at the Arsenal !

Nick7

I still don't really understand how they set up to play. At least Wenger had that going for him at the end.

I thought he'd be doing better than this tbh. I remember when Arsenal looked set to get Arteta and then Emery came in from nowhere. It seemed like they'd got Wenger's replacement spot on. A manager who has won things and has good experience with clubs in Spain & France. Seemed like a good fit to me.

They aren't moving forward under Emery though. Defensively they're a mess and they can't control games.
I've talked to a couple of Arsenal fans and they all say that they don't really have a proper set up. They're changing every game to counter the opposition rather than having a proper set up and plan.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It will be glorious when it goes wrong because they already hate him.
Yeah word this morning is Mourinho is prepared to wait for Arsenal or Spurs job to come up.

You'd have to say with way things are going there's a very strong chance both jobs will be available in the summer. Think Spurs is more likely tbh.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Arsenal isn't a 'cheque-book' enough club for Mourinho. Things would soon go pretty sour between him and the board. They would probably get a new manager bounce but that would be it. Arsenal fans have to be some of the most toxic around. Wenger, Mustafi, Elneny, Koscielny and now Xhaka and Emery have all felt their wrath in recent times. Would be glorious seeing the meltdown though.

Needham

Feel bad saying this but this guy's comic accent truly taps his credibility. He's probably twice the manager Silva is but one tenth the interview subject.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Couldn't think of a worse fit than Jose and Arsenal.
Nothing would surprise me in football. Very few people expected Mourinho to manage Man Utd, or Benitez to take over at Chelsea, or Graham to Spurs. ESPN says Mourinho has turned down numerous offers as his preferred option is to return to the PL again and I can't see what other options are available besides Arsenal and Spurs. Given his huge ego and narcissism, it's obvious he is bitter and embarrassed with getting sacked at OT and probably feels he still has unfinished business and something to prove in the PL.

mu4c_20le

They should have gone for Bielsa, he would have turned their boys into men, and set up a solid foundation for the next manager.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Marco Rose is probably the hipsters choice - is he any good, I don't follow German football?

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal would never spend to the level he will demand either. If the atmosphere around them is toxic now, it can only get worse with him. He doesn't rate anyone on that squad except Aubameyang and may be Guendozi.
If Arsenal want him obviously the 2 sides will have to agree on player investment and budgets before he joins. Obviously he will tell them his conditions before he signs. The atmosphere always depends on results, it's toxic atm because of poor results.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
A a joke of a manager at a joke of a club, match made in heaven

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If Arsenal want him obviously the 2 sides will have to agree on player investment and budgets before he joins. Obviously he will tell them his conditions before he signs. The atmosphere always depends on results, it's toxic atm because of poor results.
As if Mourinho could be trusted. He got handed the vaults of Spain in Madrid and half a billion in Manchester and still managed to alienate everyone. He'd last 2 weeks at Arsenal.

Guy Incognito

Surely he's on thin ice now?

Top four hopes gone and it's not so much their dreadful away form that has cost them but they are terrible at home. Can't remember the last time they thrashed a side.

United58

Surely he's on thin ice now?

Top four hopes gone and it's not so much their dreadful away form that has cost them but they are terrible at home. Can't remember the last time they thrashed a side.
They've been bad, but so have we and Spurs - I think if any of us sort things out, it's still there for the taking - Leicester are very good but are relying on keeping everyone fit and Chelsea *could* stutter under Lampard.

Still think it'll finish Liverpool - City - Chelsea - Leicester though.

soapythecat

I’d take Emery over Ole, any day of the week.
Arsenal fans need to see this puppy out because he is a proven winner with a great track record. Arsenal just need to sort out their defending.
Like us, they are a club that need a big rebuild but they have the right manager. Our similarities end because we don’t have anything to gauge our manager on.