Under 21 Euros 2019

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I find it bizarre that all the senior tournaments are expanding to stupid numbers and the showpiece under 21 even is stuck at what 12 teams? Just go to 16 and have the proper format of two going through from each group.
Yeah and even if you have 12 teams, don’t promote just 4 from the group stage, go with 8 and have it knockout from then on. Having 1 team progress from the group is ridiculous.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Looking at Croatia and Serbia I can understand why they keep it so low. And even with every game being so incredibly high stakes barely anyone seems to buy tickets. In a way UEFA is kinda lucky that Italians have such experience with empty seats.

NoPace

1)Palermo wasn't midtable, they took them 20 points for some financial thibg
2)Serie B is low scoring league
3)It's difficult to play to Palermo because of their politics, he was rotared with bunch of bad players for some reason, his role was also to hold up ball rather than score (prima punta, seconda punta thing)
Interesting. His hold up play was really clever, and whenever one of the English CBs hesitated or made a clumsy move he closed really hard on them, showed some power and quickness over 5 yards or so.

Ban

Sunjic? Really? If he ends up having career as good as Antolic he can count himself lucky. His skills are combination of average and useless.
Antolić, a complete nothing of a player? I don't think Šunjić will have a problem being better.

dbs235

If you believe we did anything special in the world cup, I despair. We barely scored a goal from open play, limped across against Columbia, got embarrassed by the first decent team we came across.

England just aren't very good. The u21 are another bunch of overyhyped future flops.
England qualified from the same group as Holland by 8 points, does that mean all of Holland's young players are over-hyped future flops too?

Classical Mechanic

And what was Romania's track record at youth level before they got six points and eight goals from two matches?
Marco Richter had under three hours of youth international games under his belt before he came to the u21 tournament and scored three, assisted two in as many matches.

Players develop and mature so differently at that age, I don't think previous youth competitions tell you a whole lot about how good a team will be.
I’m not having a go at Germany's group. You mentioned that it’s hard to tell how good the teams are because you know nothing about them so I posted some history of their performances. That said, I do think it is a very favourable group but I think Germany have a great chance to win the whole thing as I‘ve seen what a great cohesive unit you are when you played England.

I do think performance in a wide range of youth tournaments over a number of years does give an indication as to if a good generation are coming through or not, its pretty obvious really. Of course there are players that come out of nowhere but by-and-large countries that perform well at senior level will have some pedigree at youth level previously.

Romania have come out of nowhere a bit granted. That said, we played them in a friendly last year and took hard fought 2-1 win. I knew that we had a tough game against them because they have their style and work it well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I’m not having a go at Germany's group. You mentioned that it’s hard to tell how good the teams are because you know nothing about them so I posted some history of their performances. That said, I do think it is a very favourable group but I think Germany have a great chance to win the whole thing as I‘ve seen what a great cohesive unit you are when you played England.

I do think performance in a wide range of youth tournaments over a number of years does give an indication as to if a good generation are coming through or not, its pretty obvious really. Of course there are players that come out of nowhere but by-and-large countries that perform well at senior level will have some pedigree at youth level previously.

Romania have come out of nowhere a bit granted. That said, we played them in a friendly last year and took hard fought 2-1 win. I knew that we had a tough game against them because they have their style and work it well.
I didn't take it as offensive, Serbia have been a bit of a joke and Denmark were looking like a cohesive team, but not that special individually either, so if I were to guess I'd say it's a rather easy group.

I disagree regarding the second part though. The 2009 u21 team from Germany was off the charts, with six players starting in the 2014 WC, a truly golden generation of one of the most successful football nations. Yet they didn't exactly dominate the youth tournaments in the years before.
You see u19 tournament winners/finalists where half the team are nobodies, you see tournament topscorers who don't even have a wikipedia page.
DFB created the "Fritz Walter Medal" to award outstanding youth players (who are picked by DFB officials, and people from their youth setup as well as their coaches - people who probably know these kids quite well). You can look wehre some of our finest talents ended up and who is missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Walter_Medal

Imho youth development is extremely volatile, obviously there are kids who dominate start to finish and end up as top players, but there are also tons of players who disappear along the way or make incredible performance jumps and with them their teams.

Last edited:

Basso

So Romania-France is nailed on as a draw! Ridiculous format with 12 teams. 48 team World Cup will also be a giant mess.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't take it as offensive, Serbia have been a bit of a joke and Denmark were looking like a cohesive team, but not that special individually either, so if I were to guess I'd say it's a rather easy group.

I disagree regarding the second part though. The 2009 u21 team from Germany was off the charts, with six players starting in the 2014 WC, a truly golden generation of one of the most successful football nations. Yet they didn't exactly dominate the youth tournaments in the years before.
You see u19 tournament winners/finalists where half the team are nobodies, you see tournament topscorers who don't even have a wikipedia page.
DFB created the "Fritz Walter Medal" to award outstanding youth players (who are picked by DFB officials, and people from their youth setup as well as their coaches - people who probably know these kids quite well). You can look wehre some of our finest talents ended up and who is missing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Walter_Medal

Imho youth development is extremely volatile, obviously there are kids who dominate start to finish and end up as top players, but there are also tons of players who disappear along the way or make incredible performance jumps and with them their teams.
Youth development is extremely volatile I agree 100%. I would argue that there is a correlation between success at youth level and success at senior level though. It’s not just Germany’s 2014 winning team that won stuff at youth level, all the recent winning teams in European football had players that won titles or were involved at the sharp end of youth football tournaments.

Kalela

Supports
Arsenal
This Polish team plays like a Tony Pulis team. They have few pacey players that can hurt the Spanish team but they don't even attempt to attack.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So Romania-France is nailed on as a draw! Ridiculous format with 12 teams. 48 team World Cup will also be a giant mess.
Why? They are both through.

This would be the exact same problem with a 32 or 16 team competition

Edit - on I see, they aren't through yet.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We've got them under the kosh pretty much the whole first half, but aside from a colossal chance early on for Barella we just can't create any clean chances

Spain 2-0, doesn't look good

Kostur

海尔的老板
2-0 and it's ogre. Not sure what the tactics were but we're looking ultra shit. Technically every NT we have played has been superior but we've made up for it tactically. Tonight's not the case.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And now we're losing the plot, of course. Typical :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am a bit lost. How many goals do we need to go to semifinals? and Poland?

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
I am a bit lost. How many goals do we need to go to semifinals? and Poland?
Spain will be first at the moment.
Poland is out.
Italy or France/Romanio depends how they will play their game. A draw from them and Italy is out too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Afaik best second comes down to points then GD. So realistically Romania should be through. France would need a point. Italy and Denmark need to win big and hope romania-france don't go for the biscuit

Spain is through atm, though one goal from Poland would chance things

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We have a lot of technical attacking players but at the end of the day our weapons are energy, pace and physicality. Spain couldn't cope with it and we crushed them. Belgium can't cope with it and we're crushing them

Polando could, and that's why we struggled so much against them :(

4-0 Spain and we're down to prayers