Television Unfunny comedians

LARulz

Sara Pascoe has grown on me, but mainly from panel shows

Kathryn Ryan I didn't like initially but again, I think she is funnier than I initially thought. She is much better on shows and stand up than when I first saw her

Nina Conti I think is fantastic, quick witted and like how she gets everyone involved

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don’t get Seinfeld, at all.

I try. Every time someone posts a clip of Seinfeld I’ll watch it and smile along instinctively with the canned laughter like I’ve been conditioned to do… but after a few minutes I have an empty feeling where I realise what I’m doing and how pathetic it is.

I was raised on stuff like The Day Today, Partridge, Julia Davis etc and I generally have a more dry / dark sense of humour than most people I know. Maybe this factors in somehow.

Is Curb Your Enthusiasm similar to Seinfeld? I’ve always been put off trying it because people who like Seinfeld recommend it to me.
Totally with you on Seinfeld - just don't get it at all. Curb your Enthusiasm however has some great moments.

MiceOnMeth

Surprised Amy Schumer hasn't been mentioned. I don't find her offensively bad myself but the internet really really hates her

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Comedy might be subjective but even so Norm Macdonald has no place in this thread. The man is a comedic genius.

decorativeed

Sara Pascoe has grown on me, but mainly from panel shows

Kathryn Ryan I didn't like initially but again, I think she is funnier than I initially thought. She is much better on shows and stand up than when I first saw her

Nina Conti I think is fantastic, quick witted and like how she gets everyone involved
I can't stand Nina Conti. I don't share the opinion some have on here that women aren't funny by any means, but I'll stick my neck out and say that ventriloquists aren't funny.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just a few I can think of

Victoria Wood
Joan Rivers
Wanda Sykes
Sandra Bernhard
Tig Notaro
Janeane Garofalo
Bridget Christie
Margaret Cho
Roseanne Barr
Lauren Lapkus
Whoopi Goldberg
There’s no quota. I just found it remarkable that your lists were almost entirely split that way and wasn’t sure if you’d even realised.

Ones I like personally: Sharon Horgan, Diane Morgan, Julia Davies, all of the cast of ‘Getting On’ or ‘Smack the Pony’, Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler.

Obviously comedy is subjective but I do always find it surprising when these discussions happen how many people categorically state women aren’t funny or there are no female comedians they like (this comment isn’t aimed at Ole because he didn’t do either of those things) when I think there is such a broad spectrum of female comics and so should in theory be something for everyone, same as with male comics.
thank you both.

I think it’s mainly that I don’t actually watch that much stand up so any experience is limited to panel shows and I don’t necessary think of anyone I see on there as funny on their own, more just for the banter and comments that are quite often scripted.

Aisling Bea and Sharon Horgan are definitely funny though the more I think about it. Someone has mentioned Katherine Ryan too and I do enjoy her schtick.

I won’t abide by anyone saying Millican is though.

Agent Red

thank you both.

I think it’s mainly that I don’t actually watch that much stand up so any experience is limited to panel shows and I don’t necessary think of anyone I see on there as funny on their own, more just for the banter and comments that are quite often scripted.

Aisling Bea and Sharon Horgan are definitely funny though the more I think about it. Someone has mentioned Katherine Ryan too and I do enjoy her schtick.

I won’t abide by anyone saying Millican is though.
When coming up with my list I did think there are definitely fewer female stand up comics who come to mind. There’s probably some logical explanations as to why either fewer women enter that route, or why that’s not their best medium.

When I think of comedic actresses/writers though I think it’s much more of a level playing field and lots of exceptional female talent. I thought about mentioning Phoebe Waller Bridge too, who I wouldn’t primarily describe as a comedian but writes and acts comedy-drama very well.

I find Millican/Katherine Ryan/Aisling Bea all a bit hit and miss. They’ve definitely all made me laugh at points but I wouldn’t seek out their stuff and can remember them all falling flat. I do like ‘This Way Up’ which Aisling Bea writes though.

Smores

When coming up with my list I did think there are definitely fewer female stand up comics who come to mind. There’s probably some logical explanations as to why either fewer women enter that route, or why that’s not their best medium.

When I think of comedic actresses/writers though I think it’s much more of a level playing field and lots of exceptional female talent. I thought about mentioning Phoebe Waller Bridge too, who I wouldn’t primarily describe as a comedian but writes and acts comedy-drama very well.

I find Millican/Katherine Ryan/Aisling Bea all a bit hit and miss. They’ve definitely all made me laugh at points but I wouldn’t seek out their stuff and can remember them all falling flat. I do like ‘This Way Up’ which Aisling Bea writes though.
I think it's just the personality types and upbringings that tend to generate stand up comedians sit more with men than women. I used to go to loads of amateur comedy shows and female acts really are a rarity so it's no surprise the ones about aren't exactly amazing.

As you say in writing and acting there's not much of a difference.

SoCross

What’s everyone’s opinion on Noel Fielding? I love the Boosh but his stand up, I find hard to get into at times. But still love the man.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s a great foil for James Acaster on the off menu podcast (which I reckon you’d love) but I can well imagine that his stand-would be absolutely wank.
I really like the podcast but then I absolutely adore Acaster. I don’t think it really requires either to be funny though, just personable and conversational.

Baneofthegame

Most of mine have been mentioned to be fair.

To the OP who said Tom Allen, that man is a saint.

youngrell

It’s probably just harder for men to relate to female comedians’ content. Not much more to it than that.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
quite the jump you are making there.
Not really, you made a sweeping, misogynistic comment so I hyperboled it to show an equivalent comment that wouldn’t even be debated as unacceptable and then you were rightfully infracted so said comment.

Rooney24

Not really, you made a sweeping, misogynistic comment so I hyperboled it to show an equivalent comment that wouldn’t even be debated as unacceptable and then you were rightfully infracted so said comment.
no. You quite plainly insinuated I’m racist for one comment on a completely different topic.

So yes, quite the junp

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
no. You quite plainly insinuated I’m racist for one comment on a completely different topic.

So yes, quite the junp
I didn’t accuse you of being racist. You didn’t say anything racist. I used a comparable stigma to show why your misogynistic comment was out of line.

Rooney24

I didn’t accuse you of being racist. You didn’t say anything racist. I used a comparable stigma to show why your misogynistic comment was out of line.
No you said - Just wait until you see the black ones.

Implying that I would have an issue with black comedians simply on the grounds they are black, which is in turn implying racism. Which is quite frankly out of order.

So if I had have written "Any female comedian that I have seen", that would be ok for you?

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal

Implying that I would have an issue with black comedians simply on the grounds they are black, which is in turn implying racism. Which is quite frankly out of order.

So if I had have written "Any female comedian that I have seen", that would be ok for you?
I said that because it would be considered a sweeping generalisation.
From your reaction obviously you don’t like that. Now apply the same logic to the sweeping generalisation you made against women. The same standards apply.

Whatever, you were warned for it, if you haven’t learned from it then very well, continue on your misogynistic mission.

NotThatSoph

So offended. @AllGoodNamesRGone, unlike old Rooney here in the original grand declaration you forgot to make it clear if you care about any offence caused, that could be helpful.

Rooney24

I said that because it would be considered a sweeping generalisation.
From your reaction obviously you don’t like that. Now apply the same logic to the sweeping generalisation you made against women. The same standards apply.

Whatever, you were warned for it, if you haven’t learned from it then very well, continue on your misogynistic mission.
If I had have said Any female, then yeah that's misogynistic. But I didn't. I find my wife funny. I find my sisters hilarious. The female comedians I have seen on TV which is the thrust of this thread, I don't.