Television Unfunny comedians

Revaulx

Female musical comedy acts are generally miles better than female (and male, for that matter) stand ups. Fascinating Aida are still great, and I’ve just discovered Flo and Joan.

Kylar Stern

Michael McIntyre*
Lee Evans
Lee Mack
Nina Conti*
Sarah Millican
Leigh Francis
Al Murray
Victoria Wood*
James Corden
Tim Minchin*
Miranda Hart*

A short list of comedians who I find unfunny to the point of being almost offensive. I get that comedy is subjective but I have no idea how this group have seemingly such widespread popular appeal. Stars next to the ones that are particularly painful.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Just a few I can think of

Victoria Wood -- Awful
Joan Rivers --Awful
Wanda Sykes -- Never heard of her
Sandra Bernhard -- Never heard of her
Tig Notaro -- Good
Janeane Garofalo --Never heard of her
Bridget Christie -- Good
Margaret Cho -- Good
Roseanne Barr -- fecking atrocious. Same level as James Cordon
Lauren Lapkus -- Never head of her
Whoopi Goldberg -- Awful
Some I disagree with, some agree and some new ones for me to try. Cheers

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I saw this thread had been recently bumped and I felt rage building. ‘I know they are not talking about Dave Chappelle in there’, I thought!

As you were!

ChrisNelson

Michael McIntyre*
Lee Evans
Lee Mack
Nina Conti*
Sarah Millican
Leigh Francis
Al Murray
Victoria Wood*
James Corden
Tim Minchin*
Miranda Hart*

A short list of comedians who I find unfunny to the point of being almost offensive. I get that comedy is subjective but I have no idea how this group have seemingly such widespread popular appeal. Stars next to the ones that are particularly painful.
Finally someone who agrees with me about Tim Minchin! To be fair that's a decent list other than (unpopular opinion on this thread I know) I love Lee Evans, I've been to see him many times over the years and his shows are absolutely fantastic.

Of the rest of the list, I've also seen Michael McIntyre and Lee Mack live but they weren't on the same level at all. Corden it's a stretch to even call a comedian.

My dad was always a massive Ken Dodd fan so I was brought up on old school stand-up and he was a master of the craft, must have seen him 20 times easily and rarely would you end up leaving at what you might call a 'respectable' time!

There's a younger generation coming through but they're being brought up on Mock The Week and it's difficult to be too funny with the BBC shackles on your back.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This is what you said.

Imagine if you had said

Or

When you name a large group of people and ascribe characteristics to them based not on skill/ability but on their race/colour/sex/sexual preference or identity then that statement is racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever. If you aren't and you meant to say something else then say something else.
There is one exception. Tory politicians are all immoral self serving gladhanding back scratching thundercunts.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm trying to get my head around the idea that George Carlin and Stewart Lee were mentioned in this thread, albeit only once each.

Two of the best stand ups of all time in my view up there along with Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

Thank feck nobody said the last two else I'd have burned this thread to the ground.

Tarrou

I'm trying to get my head around the idea that George Carlin and Stewart Lee were mentioned in this thread, albeit only once each.

Two of the best stand ups of all time in my view up there along with Bill Hicks and Doug Stanhope.

Thank feck nobody said the last two else I'd have burned this thread to the ground.
Stewart Lee is my favourite current comedian but I can understand why some might not appreciate his humour

I really like Hicks and Stanhope too so we must have similar tastes

NotThatSoph

Stewart Lee has this thing where he draws out his jokes to the extreme, and keeps repeating himself. Like the "if you say you're English" or the political correctness ones. If you don't find those acts funny then it's probably the most boring things you'll ever see, so I get why he'd get a few mentions in a thread like this.

And yes, Dave Chappelle post comeback is made for this topic.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Stewart Lee is my favourite current comedian but I can understand why some might not appreciate his humour

I really like Hicks and Stanhope too so we must have similar tastes
I'll add you to my Christmas card list.

We both like comedians that give it to us straight, like a pear cider made from 100% pears...

I'm going to see Stewart Lee in April next year.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Finally someone who agrees with me about Tim Minchin! To be fair that's a decent list other than (unpopular opinion on this thread I know) I love Lee Evans, I've been to see him many times over the years and his shows are absolutely fantastic.

Of the rest of the list, I've also seen Michael McIntyre and Lee Mack live but they weren't on the same level at all. Corden it's a stretch to even call a comedian.

My dad was always a massive Ken Dodd fan so I was brought up on old school stand-up and he was a master of the craft, must have seen him 20 times easily and rarely would you end up leaving at what you might call a 'respectable' time!

There's a younger generation coming through but they're being brought up on Mock The Week and it's difficult to be too funny with the BBC shackles on your back.
I had completely forgotten that Tim Michin existed before you mentioned him. Brings back awful memories of being forced to watch his dvd in my student house with everyone around me laughing at a song they'd heard 20 times before and knew the lyrics word for word. It was so horribly cringe inducing. Thanks a fecking bunch.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
You can’t watch a British comedy show without Roisin Conaty appearing, she’s trotted out as much as Rob Beckett.

Shame I’ve never once heard her say anything funny. No idea what I’m missing because she seems fairly popular.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You can’t watch a British comedy show without Roisin Conaty appearing, she’s trotted out as much as Rob Beckett.

Shame I’ve never once heard her say anything funny. No idea what I’m missing because she seems fairly popular.
She looks too similar to Carrie Symonds. They must be related.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not a traditional comedian granted, but why do shit like this when you're already worth millions?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

Yup I’m the one who mentioned George Carlin. I find his content too preachy, which turns me off. Although his delivery was excellent tbf.

Kopral Jono

all the female ones
I'm inclined to agree, why is this? I also happen to find a lot of them unfunny especially those hailing from the Anglosphere, there are plenty of women comedians here in Indonesia who I find funny, and I know loads of extremely funny women. I don't think it's a language or cultural thing as well since my proficiency in English is near-native (if not native) and I grew up in an English-speaking environment.

Yup I’m the one who mentioned George Carlin. I find his content too preachy, which turns me off. Although his delivery was excellent tbf.
Carlin is a hero to me but I get where this comes from. You could even go as far to say that he wasn't a comedian but rather a social commentator who happened to deliver his nuggets of wisdom with great comedic timing.