United are the noisy neighbours

Dr Pavel

Heh this thread just about sums up the culture of this shit hole.
We've got a thread asking about how we can catch Man city and we've got a bunch of cry babies asking to close thread and talk about trophies won from other centuries.
Wasn't it our CEO who talked about Manchester being like Disneyland and doing things other clubs can only dream of? Only to have the best managers and the best players tell us to do one.
City and Liverpool and challenging for the league and the champions league, meanwhile United dream about qualifying for Conference league, yet we have threads to laugh about them.
A blend of being proud yet stupid and incompetent. A perfect combination to throw hundreds of million down the toilet and achieve feck all.
Why don't we stage another walk out at the 90th minute? That'll fecking show em.

Real Name

Don't agree with the thread, but I was thinking of this quote a few hours back..

Read the Pogba news that City wont be paying him what his camp wants and now he is going elsewhere and it made me realize City have finally grown up.

They surpassed us on the pitch a few years ago ... but City a few years ago might have signed Pogba just because he was from United..
They dont need him and certainly not enough to pay him the kind of money he wants.. Them not bending over to sign an ex-United player just to spite us is kind of annoying..

feckers..
I dont think thats the reason they've grown up or that they have actually grown up. As bad the shape we're in now news about us still get ton of clicks, good or bad, while City news are old news as soon as tomorrow. That's what will happen with possible Pogba transfer there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We don’t concentrate on catching City or Liverpool for that matter.

Have to get better with every passing transfer window. Give ETH the time and money he needs to build his idea of this squad. Invest in the stadium, training centre and youth team.

Change this fecking narrative of us being a commercial club - or in fact change the culture of it being a commercial club.

Real Name

Heh this thread just about sums up the culture of this shit hole.
We've got a thread asking about how we can catch Man city and we've got a bunch of cry babies asking to close thread and talk about trophies won from other centuries.
Wasn't it our CEO who talked about Manchester being like Disneyland and doing things other clubs can only dream of? Only to have the best managers and the best players tell us to do one.
City and Liverpool and challenging for the league and the champions league, meanwhile United dream about qualifying for Conference league, yet we have threads to laugh about them.
A blend of being proud yet stupid and incompetent. A perfect combination to throw hundreds of million down the toilet and achieve feck all.
Why don't we stage another walk out at the 90th minute? That'll fecking show em.
Honestly I thought you'll go in completely different path after a 1st sentence.
This is one of 100 threads about how to catch them but do carry on. And the culture of this place is to drool over our rivals actually, I agree this thread sums it up. Imagine that we cant laugh at them when something goes wrong there just cause they're now on a high and we're down...

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They have one of the greatest managers of all time in charge and are bankrolled by an entire state for propaganda purposes giving them access to near unlimited funding. They’ve fraudulently inflated all their sponsorship deals to avoid any FFP restrictions. Liverpool are the very best version they can be having built a generational team and still will likely only have 1 league title to show for it during the Klopp years. “Knocking them off their perch” until either Pep or their owners lose interest is a pipe dream. All we can concentrate on is ourselves and putting together a team we can be proud of. Unfortunately we can make very good signings and be managed by a very good manager and be run very well yet still not beat them as Liverpool are currently showing. I think people need to wake up to that fact.

Dr Pavel

Honestly I thought you'll go in completely different path after a 1st sentence.
This is one of 100 threads about how to catch them but do carry on. And the culture of this place is to drool over our rivals actually, I agree this thread sums it up. Imagine that we cant laugh at them when something goes wrong there just cause they're now on a high and we're down...
What is there to laugh at?
They play great football, sign great players, compete for all the big trophies. Meanwhile we do literally none of the above. I honestly don't see the funny part. Because they fail to win quadruple? Haha hilarious.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They play great football, sign great players, compete for all the big trophies. Meanwhile we do literally none of the above. I honestly don't see the funny part. Because they fail to win quadruple? Haha hilarious.
There is no reason we can't either.

Liverpool beat them last year, what have they done any differently?

Get a proper coach, sign the right players, play a style of football that works best in modern football and find a formation to suit.

Build confidence and self belief, develop a never lose mentality and off we go.

We've been making the right moves with ETH and it seems the board are trying to make the necessary changes. In 2/3 years time hopefully threads like this won't exist anymore.

We probably won't be the dominant force of yesteryear, but if we win 1 every 3/4 years that won't be so bad.

Smithy89

They can't even sell out the big league and cup games, while we sell over 60 thousand for a youth cup game.

Levels.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its really not rocket science - you get the right people in and you recruit well.
For what its worth, the recent changes look very promising.

wolvored

To change it we need owners who are that rich that they do not need the income from the club and it can be ploughed back into the club as well as other money if need be. Now where we find an owner who would buy the club outright, including paying off the debt, and be morally right, not a coerupt state, gangster etc, is the hard bit. Musk, Bezos would be ideal, even that English bloke Ratcliff i think his name is. The one who offered 4.25 billion for Chelsea, but said Utd not for sale.

Dr Pavel

There is no reason we can't either.

Liverpool beat them last year, what have they done any differently?

Get a proper coach, sign the right players, play a style of football that works best in modern football and find a formation to suit.

Build confidence and self belief, develop a never lose mentality and off we go.

We've been making the right moves with ETH and it seems the board are trying to make the necessary changes. In 2/3 years time hopefully threads like this won't exist anymore.

We probably won't be the dominant force of yesteryear, but if we win 1 every 3/4 years that won't be so bad.
I'm talking about both Man city and Liverpool.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
City were always going to overtake us.

They have had billions invested into the club to improve everything from the top on down, while we have had parasitic owners who only spend when absolutely needed
I think City and us are the only clubs which had spent over 1 billion over past 7-8 years.

Real Name

If you dont want to laugh just dont it but dont preach to others.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think City and us are the only clubs which had spent over 1 billion over past 7-8 years.
If I'm not mistaken we are not. But United are still one of the club that spent the most and are on par with all the big clubs.

dove

Probably not yet but we are getting there, even if many people here won't admit. You can cry about how much money they spend or whatever but the fact is that they have already overtaken us in some areas and if the trend continues, they will get scarily close to us in the next decade in terms of trophies won and I can easily see it happening. So I would say we are not the noisy neighbours... yet.

Someone

Something
We need to stop this self pity. If we get our shit together as a club we'll be able to challenge. Liverpool were able to build a decent team with lesser resources than City, and we're capable of more financially. It's a just a matter of getting it right.

Dr Pavel

Insulting another member
My advice wasnt that and in any case you're not one to decide if I'll leave this thread or not. Cheers.
Ahaha like I said, the perfect combination of being proud yet stupid/incompetent. You're a real treasure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If I'm not mistaken we are not. But United are still one of the club that spent the most and are on par with all the big clubs.
Maybe we can include PSG too?

Anyway I am sure we had spent over 1 billion over past few years with Ole spending over 400m, Mourinho around 400m, LVG over 200m.

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe we can include PSG too?

Anyway I am sure we had spent over 1 billion over past few years with Ole spending over 400m, Mourinho around 400m, LVG over 200m.
PSG, City, Liverpool, Juventus, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, United and City have all spent over 1 billion.

Real Name

Ahaha like I said, the perfect combination of being proud yet stupid/incompetent. You're a real treasure.
Oh we're going personal now. I tried to end this conversation but you're continuing with insults. Nice.

Vapor trail

It's about focus and it's wrong for any new manager to come in and focus on rivals. ETH needs to establish his own vision and dynamics and build from there. The team need to play a consistent brand of football and allow the players to flourish in a system. Once the team has momentum in the simplicity of playing football then the manager can enhance things.

The problem with this United team is that they absolve themselves from the basics. It's almost like boxing, City would be like a Roy Jones Jr for all his wonderful attributes it would be foolish for another fighter to train and emulate his style but rather work on the fundamentals which creates the platform to influence a style. That's what United need to do work on the fundamentals; comfortable in possession, maintaining the ball under pressure, distribution from defence / goal keeping to the midfield, defensive structure, utilising width when necessary, off ball movement etc.

Lentwood

City are the chavs who won the lottery and moved in next-door.

We should just ignore them like the rest of the footballing World and press do pretty well

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
PSG, City, Liverpool, Juventus, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, United and City have all spent over 1 billion.
I just did a quick calculations on total spending over the past 9 years (2013-2021).

1. Man City
Total spending on players transfer - 1349m
Total income from players sales - 476m
Total net spending - 873m

2. Man Utd
Total spending on players transfer - 1214m
Total income from players sales - 359m
Total net spending - 855m

3. PSG
Total spending on players transfer - 1029m
Total income from players sales - 392m
Total net spending - 637m

4. Barca
Total spending on players transfer - 1295m
Total income from players sales - 964m
Total net spending - 331m

5. Chelsea
Total spending on players transfer - 1234m
Total income from players sales - 922m
Total net spending - 312m

6.. Real Madrid
Total spending on players transfer - 901m
Total income from players sales - 775m
Total net spending - 126m

So yes, we are easily the 2nd biggest spender in the world ever since the post-Fergie era, just slightly behind City.

I think the problem is, although there are 5 clubs spending over 1 billion in this period, most of them managed to earn back most from players sales than we do. We have not been doing a good job balancing our book from players transfers over the years, which makes us spending more than others.

JPRouve

Scout
I just did a quick calculations on total spending over the past 9 years (2013-2021).

1. Man City
Total spending on players transfer - 1349m
Total income from players sales - 476m
Total net spending - 873m

2. Man Utd
Total spending on players transfer - 1214m
Total income from players sales - 359m
Total net spending - 855m

3. PSG
Total spending on players transfer - 1029m
Total income from players sales - 392m
Total net spending - 637m

4. Barca
Total spending on players transfer - 1295m
Total income from players sales - 964m
Total net spending - 331m

5. Chelsea
Total spending on players transfer - 1234m
Total income from players sales - 922m
Total net spending - 312m

6.. Real Madrid
Total spending on players transfer - 901m
Total income from players sales - 775m
Total net spending - 126m

So yes, we are easily the 2nd biggest spender in the world ever since the post-Fergie era, just slightly behind City.

I think the problem is, although there are 5 clubs spending over 1 billion in this period, most of them managed to earn back most from players sales than we do. We have not been not doing a good job balancing our book from players transfers over the years, which makes us spending more than others.
Pretty much. We spent a lot on worse players that have largely not been sold well. We also pay them as well as other big clubs. So the idea that United can't compete financially is complete nonsense, that's exactly what United are doing, they are simply terrible when it comes to the coaching and scouting part.

By the way I wasn't disagreeing with your point but just pointing out that there were more than two teams in the Billion group that you mentioned.

Marwood

We spend almost as much as they do, so it's just a case of making better decisions. It looks like we're changing the decision makers so hopefully it starts to happen.

City will have their difficulties. All clubs do.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Pretty much. We spent a lot on worse players that have largely not been sold well. We also pay them as well as other big clubs. So the idea that United can't compete financially is complete nonsense, that's exactly what United are doing, they are simply terrible when it comes to the coaching and scouting part.

By the way I wasn't disagreeing with your point but just pointing out that there were more than two teams in the Billion group that you mentioned.
Fair enough.
I always knew we are very bad, but I didn’t realize we are really that bad. Almost spending as much as City, but won feck all and ending up in complete mess.

crossy1686

career ending
History is a wonderful thing lets dust off those Trophies... It makes the likes of Haaland want to sign for us - oh wait a minute.
Who gives a shit? We've historically missed out on better players and been absolutely fine. The trophy cabinet confirms that

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
This version of City will never be anything more than a souless plaything of a billionaire pursuing sportswashing. I don't care about them. I struggle to care about football at all at the moment though. The Glazer's apathy has sterilised me.

big rons sovereign

Agreed with the money but it has been used wisely - but does not answer the question of how does United get the top dog status in Manchester back?
As long as the parasites are here, there's nothing that can be done.
The mess we're in is all down to them and their business practices. The 8 years of success from 05- 13 were due to the previous ownership and fergie.
Downhill ever since.

big rons sovereign

We can laugh at the fact that they shit their pants in the cl again. Despite being 2 goals up. Twice.
Dry yer eyes.

wise_old_man

We don’t concentrate on catching City or Liverpool for that matter.

Have to get better with every passing transfer window. Give ETH the time and money he needs to build his idea of this squad. Invest in the stadium, training centre and youth team.

Change this fecking narrative of us being a commercial club - or in fact change the culture of it being a commercial club.
We aspire to be like City.

And that was not said by me, but a Manchester United manager himself.

Dr Pavel

Who gives a shit? We've historically missed out on better players and been absolutely fine. The trophy cabinet confirms that
The trophy cabinets confirm we've been absolutely shite for 10 years, whereas City and Liverpool continues to go from strength to strength. If we want this reality to continue, keep bury our heads up our own ass and look at trophies we won from the last eon.
We can laugh at the fact that they shit their pants in the cl again. Despite being 2 goals up. Twice.
Dry yer eyes.
Yeah and they can laugh at the fact that Yernited will play in Conference league next year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm talking about what is happening now, not based on History. Let's have a look at what's happening now, who has produced the best young talent, have United got a Foden. Who just signed a player that every United fan wanted in Red, We have
become the noisy neighbors, maybe not in History or Fan base but in actual performance, pulling the best Talent etc we are the noisy neighbors. How does United change that? That's all I'm asking.
The noisy neighbour reference was built on a fake sense of relevance. My point is in spite of severe underperformance for 10 years, Manchester United is still far from irrelevant.

Regarding how do we change that - it's obvious. Proper recruitment and the right manager. Liverpool did this and completed more impressive seasons than Pep with a fraction of the money spent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The trophy cabinets confirm we've been absolutely shite for 10 years, whereas City and Liverpool continues to go from strength to strength. If we want this reality to continue, keep bury our heads up our own ass and look at trophies we won from the last eon.
Liverpool are a good example of a club who do not need to spend on marquee signings across the pitch to beat teams spending multiples more. They went out and got hits like Salah, Mane, Jota, Fabinho, Robertson, Matip, etc.

We need to do the same. Our issue was the direction, which looks to be overhauled now.

big rons sovereign

Yeah and they can laugh at the fact that Yernited will play in Conference league next year.
That's fine. They can laugh all they want, it's their right, just it's our right to laugh at them.

Dya think city laughed when they were on their ass and we lost out on the final day at West ham, or when arsenal won the title at old Trafford, or when we lost 2 cl finals against Barca, or any number of times down the years?
Of course they did.
As did the scousers. A lot.

It's the way it is and the way it should be.

OverratedOpinion

Man City are going to be great until Pep and Txiki leave and the owners lose interest. Even then they may keep up a similar level. Man City are a very successful club now, you just need to accept that.

How do we win leagues and champions leagues? Well to give ourselves a good shot we need to hire the right coach (hopefully this is Ten Hag) and put the right people around him (hopefully Paul Mitchell and Rangnick). We then need to be patient and sign the right players to suit the the style of football the coach wants to play and promote youth when we get the opportunity.

None of this is a mystery, examples like Liverpool in the last few years are there to be seen.

I said it in a thread recently but we have been relying on bankers, Norwegian league coaches and American Trust fund babies and managed to get to 2nd along with a European final. Getting the right people into those positions will make a world of difference, looking at our resources we really should not look at this as some insurmountable task. We just need to make smarter decisions, my read is that we are at least trying that now. I have a strong feeling that Arnold has a massive advantage over Woodward in that he seems to understand that he is not a genius football executive and needs to bring in people who are.