United executives to meet fans to discuss Mourinho's complaints over the 'quiet' atmosphere at OT

bleedred

That and not being in a title race. Don't think you can underestimate that.
The noisiest we have been in the last few years was ironically under Moyes.

Atmosphere started off OK, dipped a bit and picked up again in the second half. It's quite simple really, if you serve up shit don't expect the supports to be local.
Really didn't feel that. On some occasions in the second half, I could hear Jose or Conte shouting and the players as well. It was ridiculously quiet.

Most aren't local in any case, lets be honest about that, This isn't to do with daytrippers.

hp88

Really didn't feel that. On some occasions in the second half, I could hear Jose or Conte shouting and the players as well. It was ridiculously quiet.

Most aren't local in any case, lets be honest about that, This isn't to do with daytrippers.
Sorry meant to say vocal.

Depends on where your seat is really but Stretty was OK in the second half, probably the best it’s been a while.

Trevor Stevenson

Supports
Huddersfield
Hi, architecture student in Manchester writing a dissertation on 'Architectural atmospheres of the football ground.
I don't know if anybody has heard of a book called 'An ethnography of English football fans: Cans, cops and carnivals' but it has focusing in part on Manchester United fans & the atmosphere at Old Trafford and away from home. It may be tricky to access but a really good read.

Do people think in addition to a change of demographic maybe?? there are any architectural features of the stadium that impact the atmosphere at O.T? When my team, Huddersfield played the playoff final there a few years ago there were a lot of comments based on the roof being so steep you can't see a great deal of the crowd which detracts from the flow of atmosphere around the stadium. Am I right in thinking the view of the Stretford end upper is actually obscured to quite a few people? Being able to see and feel the atmosphere is potentially as importation as just hearing the noise? The executive area within the historic home end is strange move!

When United played Huddersfield the other week in the F.A cup the away fans were brilliant btw. The full away stand is excellent for racking up an atmosphere which is why we have claimed it partly as a home end for games other than the f.a cup.

Any responses/thoughts/ideas would be great.

Cheers.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Players posting about the win and commenting on the "amazing atmosphere" on social media.

I could only hear Chelsea fans for the most part on TV, even when we were winning. There were times when there were no chants at all and it sounded absolutely dead. You could hear Jose barking orders, and even Chris Smalling's piercing screech.

Big Andy

Bloke
Hi, architecture student in Manchester writing a dissertation on 'Architectural atmospheres of the football ground.
I don't know if anybody has heard of a book called 'An ethnography of English football fans: Cans, cops and carnivals' but it has focusing in part on Manchester United fans & the atmosphere at Old Trafford and away from home. It may be tricky to access but a really good read.

Do people think in addition to a change of demographic maybe?? there are any architectural features of the stadium that impact the atmosphere at O.T? When my team, Huddersfield played the playoff final there a few years ago there were a lot of comments based on the roof being so steep you can't see a great deal of the crowd which detracts from the flow of atmosphere around the stadium. Am I right in thinking the view of the Stretford end upper is actually obscured to quite a few people? Being able to see and feel the atmosphere is potentially as importation as just hearing the noise? The executive area within the historic home end is strange move!

When United played Huddersfield the other week in the F.A cup the away fans were brilliant btw. The full away stand is excellent for racking up an atmosphere which is why we have claimed it partly as a home end for games other than the f.a cup.

Any responses/thoughts/ideas would be great.

Cheers.
Written by Ralphie88 over at the other place...

onemanarmy

Players posting about the win and commenting on the "amazing atmosphere" on social media.

I could only hear Chelsea fans for the most part on TV, even when we were winning. There were times when there were no chants at all and it sounded absolutely dead. You could hear Jose barking orders, and even Chris Smalling's piercing screech.
This really depends on the positioning of the microphones too I think.

Big Andy

Bloke
There's going to be a trial of a new location for the vocal area for the Brighton game...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This really depends on the positioning of the microphones too I think.
True, though they've got them all around the pitch. If I could hear Smalling's girlish yelps, you should be able to hear some sort of crowd noise. There was definitely spells where it was silent from both fans. It was eerie.

Not blaming either side though, as it was a cagey game, decent spells, but very little to get people up off their seat.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's funny how different it feels inside the ground, yesterday's atmosphere didn't seem bad - a bit weak for a big match, but decent. It started off ok, faded out (with Chelsea fans taking over) after they hit the post and had another couple of decent chances.

Perked up a lot when United finally started to keep the ball for more than one pass and go forward - ironically not that long before they scored. Disappointing reaction to them scoring - and didn't really get going again until Lukaku scored.

Decent mood from then on, and the Lingard goal left the crowd delirious. Old Trafford's a different place when the SAF stand joins in and the Stretford End and J stand can actually hear each other, and even sung the same song.

Hopefully it'll set us up a bit for the Liverpool match. The team need it, but the crowd need it as well.

There's a lot of negatives about going to OT at the moment. The traffic, the parking, the queues for security, the empty seats that are inevitable when most seats are sold to season ticket holders who can't (easily) pass on tickets if they find out late that they can't go, even some of the pavements are shut/narrowed. It takes away some of the buzz, like people have used up too much adrenaline before they even get to their seat. When the crowd gets going, it reminds you why it's better being there, than watching on the telly.

Last edited:

Banat

To me, it looks our players are briefed to praise the atmosphere and fans from time to time, and to be active on social media.
They do it for no particular reason sometimes, when the atmosphere is nothing special, or when, all of a sudden, they all post pics similar pics on instagram.
I guess they are instructed by the club. Their PR's I mean.

TheReligion

Abusive
Obviously the crowd are influenced by what's infront of them and the occasion.

You can't blame a bit of a lull in atmosphere when the players lack intensity themselves.

When they started to win the ball back higher up the pitch and show a bit of drive the crowd follow suit.

That's only natural and is what happened yesterday.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Obviously the crowd are influenced by what's infront of them and the occasion.

You can't blame a bit of a lull in atmosphere when the players lack intensity themselves.

When they started to win the ball back higher up the pitch and show a bit of drive the crowd follow suit.

That's only natural and is what happened yesterday.
Our fans seem to underestimate what an effect they can have on the team though, I get at home to West Brom the fans are just waiting for us to beat them but yesterday was Chelsea the current PL champions at home, if the fans cant get up for that game then there's problems

Offsideagain

As long as nobody suggests bloody drummers and constant loud megaphone lead chants as you get in Germany. It should be sorted by the performance on the pitch. Easy, exciting football equals great atmosphere.

CallyRed

As long as nobody suggests bloody drummers and constant loud megaphone lead chants as you get in Germany. It should be sorted by the performance on the pitch. Easy, exciting football equals great atmosphere.
What about the Palace support and the jumping up and down?

L1nk

The fans picked up noise when the football picked up. First half when we were garbage it was nearly silent save for the Chelsea fans.

So it seems to me they are cheering and getting excited when our football is decent, when its crap and negative there's nothing to cheer about, if evidence from yesterday is to be believed

ZupZup

Our fans seem to underestimate what an effect they can have on the team though, I get at home to West Brom the fans are just waiting for us to beat them but yesterday was Chelsea the current PL champions at home, if the fans cant get up for that game then there's problems
I think we were up for it at the start... but unfortunately Chelsea quietened us by barely allowing us a kick for half an hour. After the goal and then in the second half things got a bit better. Ideally we'd be loud regardless. Hopefully it's better when Liverpool visit even though it's an early kick off.

Parma Dewol

It's funny how different it feels inside the ground, yesterday's atmosphere didn't seem bad - a bit weak for a big match, but decent. It started off ok, faded out (with Chelsea fans taking over) after they hit the post and had another couple of decent chances.

Perked up a lot when United finally started to keep the ball for more than one pass and go forward - ironically not that long before they scored. Disappointing reaction to them scoring - and didn't really get going again until Lukaku scored.

Decent mood from then on, and the Lingard goal left the crowd delirious. Old Trafford's a different place when the SAF stand joins in and the Stretford End and J stand can actually hear each other, and even sung the same song.

Hopefully it'll set us up a bit for the Liverpool match. The team need it, but the crowd need it as well.

There's a lot of negatives about going to OT at the moment. The traffic, the parking, the queues for security, the empty seats that are inevitable when most seats are sold to season ticket holders who can't (easily) pass on tickets if they find out late that they can't go, even some of the pavements are shut/narrowed. It takes away some of the buzz, like people have used up too much adrenaline before they even get to their seat. When the crowd gets going, it reminds you why it's better being there, than watching on the telly.
Couldn't agree more.

What about the Palace support and the jumping up and down?
Exactly, and 9 times out of 10 they find themselves in relegation battles but you still hear the fans getting behind the players. Regardless of how the team plays you're supposed to get behind them.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This was my point when I bumped this. I get that you want to be entertained especially when you pay a lot of money to be there. However, in a game of this magnitude, as you rightly point out, their support will make a huge difference. It seemed like they were quite tense but unusually quiet for a big game.

I agree with @bleedred in that, in recent years, the most vocal they've been was during the Moyes era. Especially, in the CL against Bayern and Olympiacos.

I hope they turn up against Pool as they'll be needed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yesterday was a total disgrace , I was only hearing the Chelsea songs and etc
Buy a fecking season ticket in the Stretford End or singing section then, and turn up week in and week out and sing your heart out for 90 minutes. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution.

People can make all the excuses they want, but supporters have agency in making a great atmosphere in the stadium. You buy a ticket, turn up and show your support. The atmosphere lacks because not enough people want to do this. That's it.

You don't want to travel to matches because it is too far or because it costs too much? Fine, but realise you contribute nothing.

You want to sit in parts of the ground with the premium views, or catering, or where you won't be obliged to stand, or won't feel awkward about not singing? Fine, you are entitled to do that, but you are part of the problem diluting the atmosphere.

You want to come to the Stretford End for the "experience", or to film the corner kicks on the chance of owning a video of you and the stand celebrating, or to take all the selfies you want with your half-and-half scarves? Fine, again you are entitled to do that, but again realise you are cannibalising the experience that you are seeking out.

You want to come to Old Trafford, stand for the entire match in the Stretford End, keep your phone in your pocket, sing every chant and song, attempt to start some of your own as well, and then go to work on Monday with a hoarse voice? Great, you are making a positive contribution to the atmosphere at Old Trafford. There's not enough of you.

redchamp

Buy a fecking season ticket in the Stretford End or singing section then, and turn up week in and week out and sing your heart out for 90 minutes. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution.

People can make all the excuses they want, but supporters have agency in making a great atmosphere in the stadium. You buy a ticket, turn up and show your support. The atmosphere lacks because not enough people want to do this. That's it.

You don't want to travel to matches because it is too far or because it costs too much? Fine, but realise you contribute nothing.

You want to sit in parts of the ground with the premium views, or catering, or where you won't be obliged to stand, or won't feel awkward about not singing? Fine, you are entitled to do that, but you are part of the problem diluting the atmosphere.

You want to come to the Stretford End for the "experience", or to film the corner kicks on the chance of owning a video of you and the stand celebrating, or to take all the selfies you want with your half-and-half scarves? Fine, again you are entitled to do that, but again realise you are cannibalising the experience that you are seeking out.

You want to come to Old Trafford, stand for the entire match in the Stretford End, keep your phone in your pocket, sing every chant and song, attempt to start some of your own as well, and then go to work on Monday with a hoarse voice? Great, you are making a positive contribution to the atmosphere at Old Trafford. There's not enough of you.
I can see a lot of people not liking this. All true though.

What I will say though, is it gets tiring singing on your own week after week trying to whip up an atmosphere, while everyone around you is just filming / sitting around - you begin to think 'what's the point', and eventually give up. I think that's happened to a fair few, but obviously those same people on the way to an away game know everyone around them will be up for it. It's a vicious / virtuous circle for homes / aways

pacifictheme

Daytrippers are not non local fans.

Last game i went to was huddersfield and a large section of thr north stand was full of school trips.

I shit you not.

Thats the problem. People buying tickets as part of fecking holidays packages in thompsons. Or to put it another way, day trippers. People who just want to go to old trafford to say thry've been. Neutrals. Non fans. The place is full of them.

pacifictheme

Well said.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know about others but, the second half sounded pretty decent on TV.
When we started to play, the crowd responded.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
WHAT? I totally disagree. I am a match going fan in Prague, supporting Bohemians Prague (now 1905) which once made the semis in UEFA cup and win the league in the early 80s and which never did it again since, got relegated to second divison numerous times, almost got bancrupt and lately playing the middle of the table in a Czech league with one of the most uninspiring brand of football.

The official stadium capacity is 5000 but gets sold out almost everytime and that's something in Czech football where the situation is really tragic with match going fans with very empty stadiums and so on. But what I wanted to say is that despite the shit brand of football the fans give their everything to sing chants for 90 minutes and push the team performance to maximum.

I simply don't understand the conservative atmosphere in England especially at OT, maybe a lot of tickets are expensive and people go there with families and eat a sausage but that shouldn't be like that. FANS SHOULD ABSOLUTELY DO THEIR BEST TO SUPPORT THEIR TEAMS AND MAKE THEM WORK HARD EVEN IF THE SITUATION ON THE PITCH IS NOT GOOD. SUPPORT THE TEAM IN ALL OCCASSIONS. Some people just don't know how lucky they are they can see their favourite team every odd week to play live. It really is a disgrace sometimes at OT.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Agree, but going to OT is expensive as feck.

Partly agree with whoever said it doesn't help when the football doesn't get you going, but that doesn't stop German fans going nuts.

Put those two things together and you have expensive hour and a hour of not necessarily much entertainment. If we were more like German fans it's entertaining enough just being in the stands though.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
WHAT? I totally disagree. I am a match going fan in Prague, supporting Bohemians Prague (now 1905) which once made the semis in UEFA cup and win the league in the early 80s and which never did it again since, got relegated to second divison numerous times, almost got bancrupt and lately playing the middle of the table in a Czech league with one of the most uninspiring brand of football.

The official stadium capacity is 5000 but gets sold out almost everytime and that's something in Czech football where the situation is really tragic with match going fans with very empty stadiums and so on. But what I wanted to say is that despite the shit brand of football the fans give their everything to sing chants for 90 minutes and push the team performance to maximum.

I simply don't understand the conservative atmosphere in England especially at OT, maybe a lot of tickets are expensive and people go there with families and eat a sausage but that shouldn't be like that. FANS SHOULD ABSOLUTELY DO THEIR BEST TO SUPPORT THEIR TEAMS AND MAKE THEM WORK HARD EVEN IF THE SITUATION ON THE PITCH IS NOT GOOD. SUPPORT THE TEAM IN ALL OCCASSIONS. Some people just don't know how lucky they are they can see their favourite team every odd week to play live. It really is a disgrace sometimes at OT.
:lol:

Scholsey2004

Its the old acoustics problem. Our managers have been complaining about noise levels for decades. Stadium rebuild is the obvious and financially prohibitive solution that probably won't happen any time soon. Admittedly it doesn't help that our typical match day fan is a lot older now because of how expensive tickets are now.

Big Andy

Bloke
Really? I hope they get it right.
Came out of the fans forum thing meeting with the club on the 23rd...

I'll try and get some details, basically, the club are letting home fans have L Stand for the Brighton match, to see if they can get a load of like minded vocal reds in one place, and then use it as a trial before then permanently moving people into J stand as a permanent home.

Being offered to J Stand ST Holders first, and then anything left will be offered to other ST holders.

EasyE

Bish. Bash. Bosh.

Well wrote, sir.

Red00012

Atmosphere started off OK, dipped a bit and picked up again in the second half. It's quite simple really, if you serve up shit don't expect the supports to be local.
So are you saying the locals only go if we’re top of the league and winning trophies? It’s a genuine question I don’t get what you mean.

walkinhop

Came out of the fans forum thing meeting with the club on the 23rd...

I'll try and get some details, basically, the club are letting home fans have L Stand for the Brighton match, to see if they can get a load of like minded vocal reds in one place, and then use it as a trial before then permanently moving people into J stand as a permanent home.

Being offered to J Stand ST Holders first, and then anything left will be offered to other ST holders.
As much as we've been (myself including) speculating about the reasons behind quiet OT, the seating situation seems the most legit and impactful. Keep us posted on any developments if you can.

bleedred

Daytrippers are not non local fans.

Last game i went to was huddersfield and a large section of thr north stand was full of school trips.

I shit you not.

Thats the problem. People buying tickets as part of fecking holidays packages in thompsons. Or to put it another way, day trippers. People who just want to go to old trafford to say thry've been. Neutrals. Non fans. The place is full of them.
That has always been there. But it would still be a very small minority out of 75k.

The fact that even the stertford end was pin drop quiet for most of the game was staggering to me.

ZupZup

The guy at the bottom right in the bobble hat... really hope he was having fun looking at his fecking snapchat.