United finally setting up a women's team | Championship application successful

wolvored

Why are people so excited by this ? Couldn’t really care less whether we have a women’s team or not. Admittedly I’m not a fan of women’s football as the standard is so poor and is anyone really bothered what league we are in and whether or not we got promoted or relegated ?

Not for me but I guess good luck moving forward.
Yes Im the same, but in this day and age it wouldnt be politically correct not to have one.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
If you don’t like this news or don’t care why even come into a thread like this. Why can’t people just not like something and keep it moving. Why go into a thread knowing people are happy and excited about this news just to say something mean, negative, kinda misogynistic, and just bitter. Nobody forcing you to interact with this thread, nobody’s making you watch the games. Let people be happy about this. I’m excited for this and I’ll absolutely watch the games if I can.

Reactions: Akshay

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Great news. Hope they show the games on MUTV. I'll support anyone who is dedicated enough, talented enough and passionate enough to pull on a Manchester United jersey and represent the club, with pride, at any level.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Davina De Gea

Antoinette Valencia
Christine Smalling
Erica Bailly
Victoria Lindelof
Lucy Shaw

Philomena Jones
Michaela Carrick
Paula Pogba

Ashleigh Young
Alexandra Sanchez

---------

Jolene Pereira
Jessica Lingard
Andrea Pereira
Toni Martial
Angela Gomes
:lol::lol::lol:

Web of Bissaka

Wait, what's up with people thinking we're doing this for political/business/etc reasons.

United's way - giving chances to the "academy" young players, and giving back to the fans who care (among many other values).

Announcing the move, Ed Woodward said: "We are pleased to announce that the club intends to establish its first ever professional women’s team and has submitted an application to enter WSL2.

"The FA has provided excellent support through the process and we believe that launching a team in WSL2 would give many more of our graduates from the Regional Talent Club the chance to establish themselves as first-team players.

"The Manchester United women’s team must be built in the same image and with the same principles as the men's first team and offer academy players a clear route to top-level football within the club."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ional-womens-team-in-super-league-tier-2.aspx

Ventura

I think it's good to have a women's team and women should be able to play football just the same as men. But we should not try to compare the level of football between men and women because I'm not sure most people here realize how big the difference is. Top women national and club teams sometimes play against schoolboys for training and experience – and lose. You really have to let the women play their own way and not compare them to men. See it as a separate sport, if you like, and appreciate them for giving it all on the pitch for their club and country, just like men.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you don’t like this news or don’t care why even come into a thread like this.
Oh, they care.

If you genuinely don't care, you don't feel the urge to comment.

Well, unless you're a WUM, that is. Which some of these people may be, I suppose. That would be their only saving «grace», I might add.

Grande

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I know, that's amazing when you think about it like that. :lol:

Yes I was aware, but I'm sure that the US ladies are above that standard but it's a pointless argument because it can't be put to the test. I wish it would though as if the women beat a men's side then maybe they would be respected a bit more.

Golf is a prime example and soon we will see many women finish higher on the leaderboard than men. It's taken a long time for women golfers to earn such respect and it seems it will be the same in football.
The US women's team have been beat numerous times by club academies as well.

What do you mean can't be put to the test? Is them losing to u15s academy teams not putting it to the test?

They are not better than Conference sides. They can't compete against men and there is no problem with that. Men and women are different and it doesn't devalue women's football. We don't need to pretend like they could compete against professional level men's teams though.

Robertd0803

The thing that makes me happy about this is hopefully now Ill see something new regarding womens football on my twitter timeline, its normally flooded by BBC reporting on Citys female team. And that I couldnt give a stuff about because its City.

Also its one less stick to beat United with that we dont have a womens team.

dove

What a waste of time and resource
Did you just really came to this thread to post this useless message? :houllier: I personally don't watch women football, the club will probably not get any profit from it anytime soon but it's not about that, it's about giving something back to your city and these people who ARE interested in it. Imagine having such a huge organisation like Manchester United in your city and they don't do anything unless they get profit from it...

psychdelicblues

If you don’t like this news or don’t care why even come into a thread like this.
Oh, they care.

If you genuinely don't care, you don't feel the urge to comment.

Well, unless you're a WUM, that is. Which some of these people may be, I suppose. That would be their only saving «grace», I might add.
They see it as the club caving into 'political correctness' a oppose to a pathway for girls and women who support United, to represent United at a professional level. Hence the low level passive defensiveness. Its really eating away at them.

Fine with this. Fully expect the faux excitement to be exposed the moment the regular attendance settles around at barely three figures per game, mind you. Level of interest in women's football really isn't that high to make the majority of the 'OMG! Thank Christ!" responses genuine. Nor do I understand the idea that somehow it was embarrassing not to have one. I can't remember a single rival fan ever mention it ever. I remember being mocked for going out of the CL, honestly I can't remember a single time a rival group of fans singing "Stand Up If You've Got a Women's Team!" to mock us.

Women's football is a thing already, yet outside of the World Cup or the Shebegeebies Cup, or whatever it's called, how many here give it attention?

As I say absolutely fine with us having a woman's team but let people put their money where their mouth is and support it instead of using women's football merely as a vehichle to show how 'right on' they are when threads exist to provide them with such an opportunity and ignore it the rest of the time. Maybe I've just overlooked all those threads in the Football section discussing the Women's Super League, talking about Yeovil Town Ladies chances of getting off the bottom, wondering whether Arsenal Women are too far adrift to make a title challenge. Or maybe they don't exist.

Might piss off a few people but given the complete lack of interest in the actual women's league that's running in this country, I suspect the interest in women's football for the vast majority here will start and end at somehow pretending they give a toss that we don't have a team.
Sure.

Last edited:

Oscie

You're right, I'm imagining the fact women's football gets discussed so little on here. I now conclude the joy expressed on this thread is completely genuine.

Anyone who thinks people's interest in the game starts and ends with making sure people see them champion a United women's team is way off the mark. Must be all those white text threads about the Super League this season, huh? Having a football team will be a great thing for female fans, especially little girls. What the sport needs though are real fans not men who pretend to cheerlead a sport they pay no attention to outside of identified opportunities to be seen to cheerlead it.

Hope the team is allowed to find its own fan base and not just half-hearted adopters simply because it has the name Manchester United attached. Not sure the "I love women's football me, I watch all three games every four years" lot should centre themselves in its establishment - though I fear they will. Fantastic opportunity to significantly increase the fan base but for all the fanfare I think it's going to be a delicate operation to get right.

Last edited:

Todd

This'll probably be the best chance for me to see an American footballer (outfield player anyway) play for United...unless we sign Pulisic that is.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Adds nothing to the discussion
I can't muster any enthusiasm for this, womens football is like comedy hour.

DBT85

Was so pleased to hear we were adding a womans team again. Now my little girl can grow up dreaming of playing for United like her dad, her uncle and her grandad.

Reactions: Penna

DoubleRevv

Can't wait for the ladies football team to be up and running. I reckon they will be better to watch than the shitfest being served by Mourinho

MrPooni

Fantastic appointment. Alway's felt she was the driving force behind Phil Neville's early success.