United issue statement on racial abuse

shazzmufc

Precisely this. Social media is run in such a horrible manner - it gives complete anonymity and the platforms thrive on controversy. Would actually be very simple to police it properly if it wouldn't be harmful to their bottom line.
I went on Axel's Instagram and reported some of the racist comments (some of which included the N word) ... only for Instagram to respond back shortly thereafter that the comments weren't removed because they "do not violate our community guidelines"

I mean, wtf.

MU655

Social media, particularly Twitter, is a breeding ground of filth. The stuff written on there is disgusting and freaking weird; not just racism. I remember reading about someone stating they had epilepsy so people started posting videos on their Twitter account that can start epileptic fits e.g. strobes.

Just get rid of it. These people need to be put to work; they are clearly not busy enough.

The Firestarter

I went on Axel's Instagram and reported some of the racist comments (some of which included the N word) ... only for Instagram to respond back shortly thereafter that the comments weren't removed because they "do not violate our community guidelines"

I mean, wtf.
You just need to know who owns IG. Says it all.

Bulldog United

The companies that run these social media platforms need to start being held accountable as well, the trash making these type of posts need to be tracked down and punished.
I agree, but I expect online ID's linked to real ID will apply to all online platforms eventually including forums like this - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either IMO.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I mean, wtf.
Some of the biggest problems are the people who run social media.

Bulldog United

I mean, wtf.
If they responded back quickly then it's probably automated tools that decided no action is necessary.

Chairman Steve

I’m very interested to see if there is a demographic trend for who does this. I’ve always assumed it consists of a bunch of edgy teenagers who don’t think it through when throwing out N-bombs like it’s confetti, or whether they come from fans in certain places in the world (considering Utd does have a wide global fanbase) where racial tolerance is different.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I went on Axel's Instagram and reported some of the racist comments (some of which included the N-word) ... only for Instagram to respond shortly thereafter that the comments weren't removed because they "do not violate our community guidelines"

I mean, wtf.
It's not even surprising and one of the main reasons that decent people avoid Twitter and social media platforms in general. It's a breeding ground for keyboard warriors who live to spread twattery of the highest order, safely protected by anonymity and a frankly shocking lack of moderation.

Why aren't users required to provide identification before signing up?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I honestly cannot wrap my head around this but it should not come as a surprise. We are enjoying a title challenge under a club legend, while I appreciate most of us know we do not have the quality to actually win the league, yet one bad result in months and racism comes out straightaway. It's disgusting. And one of the many things that have made this club hard to love over recent years. Shameful that some 'fans' still turn to racism.

DomesticTadpole

It's not even surprising and one of the main reasons that decent people avoid Twitter and social media platforms in general. It's a breeding ground for keyboard warriors who live to spread twattery of the highest order, safely protected by anonymity and a frankly shocking lack of moderation.

Why aren't users required to provide identification before signing up?
Had a look on facebook. I was actually shocked that some of the comments laughing it all off were from people who aren't white. You wonder how we are going to win this fight.

RUCK4444

Unfortunately this sort of scum are present in every fanbase. Although they shouldn't be included in what we recognise as fans imo.

Just online trolls who take advantage of the anonymity the internet provides. It's got to change, why should you be allowed to call somebody racist names on the internet but rightly get arrested for it in the street?

Scum who wouldn't say boo to a goose on the street, mindless idiots who no doubt live in their mothers basement.

manuchamp88

Have to say, I find it a bit curious/jarring that United was one of the few top English clubs not to post a supportive message on Holocaust Memorial Day and yet today posts a message about #unitedagainstracism. This club should be against all forms of racism.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What the fecking hell is wrong with people.
Does it surprise you ? It never surprises me.
The world is full of dickheads. The only thing is a few years ago before the pox of social media was invented to invade every part of our lives you could live your life not knowing that these pricks exist.

No amount of BLM symbols or antiracism campaigns will cut this stuff out of some people. If it is in them to be bigoted myopic human slime then it is in them.
This latest example of ignorance will be replaced by another episode with someone else very soon. Its horrible and its the be condemned and abhorred but it will never stop, there are too many cretins around

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
fecking heartbreaking isn't it. It's almost as if people forget there's an actual human being on the other end of this stuff.

manuchamp88

Had a look on facebook. I was actually shocked that some of the comments laughing it all off were from people who aren't white. You wonder how we are going to win this fight.
A failing of modern British society is the assumption that multiculturism exclusively means harmony and peace. Unfortunately, it also exposes us to the darker sides of other cultures. Not that British culture is perfect, but certainly further ahead in the fight against racism compared to some others.

UmbroDays

I’ve spent the last 10 minutes reporting racist comments and monkey/ape emoji on Axel’s last IG picture.

Ahh man.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I honestly don't think most of these morons even know they are being racist. They are just plain stupid numb nuts who don't know any better. It's good that there's focus on it, but I sometimes feel like they take to much focus away from the even more important matters of racism. Like people not getting jobs, or even an interview, - or police and other people of authority making assumptions about a person - simply because of their skin color or their name.
This x100. Not that this stuff should be allowed to continue, but I can say as a black person in Britain that I do often find it annoying that the fight against racism is often ‘trivialised’ into an illiterate on the street calling someone a monkey or whatever. That stuff is barely even offensive to me on a personal level, at least no more so than being called a cnut. The most problematic racism is the unseen, subconscious version - the type that is more difficult to even prove, and is so generational that the perpetrators probably don’t even realise they are doing it as they consider themselves ‘good people’, but likely have a socially conditioned understanding of what is normal.

All of this stuff is just a tabloid version of racism. People will feel racism has been ‘kicked out’ of football once the bananas are no longer thrown and the n-word is no longer shouted from terraces, but the reality is that it doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface. In my personal opinion, most football media demonstrate non-overt racism/prejudice on a daily basis without probably even knowing that they are, for example, and something like that is far harder to address.

patty123

You can say whatever you like online knowing there will be no consequences. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the rest need to do more.
That is not 100% full truth as the Irish Garda/police charged a teenager for doing it to Ian Wright and he is in court for it, so if a police service in another country can take it seriously I cant see why the Met cant get off their lazy arses and do something about the vile bastards.

Twitter are banning morons that supported trump left right and center, Amazon kicked Parler off the net for allowing it, but they dont seen to give a shit unless it affect the people they support or care for which is just as fecked up.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Copy and paste, do you have a problem?
Don't see why they would but they're welcome to change it.
Even if there wasn't literally a rule about this, surely it's a common courtesy to spend 15 seconds on retyping the title so that it doesn't look like this?

I've changed it, but please, don't do this again. Thanks.

Forum rules said:
The following lists some of the most common rules violations that occur on the site. Please familiarise yourself with them and avoid the kind of behaviour described.

Breaches of these rules will result in warnings from the moderation team. If you receive multiple warnings you will be banned from the site.

Extreme rules violations may result in an immediate ban.

Shouting (i.e. ALL CAPS)
Examples:
  • OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE WOODWARD HASN'T SIGNED ANYONE YET FFS!!!!!

SAFMUTD

Call me cynical or whatever but I think its just to deviate attention from the shitty performance.

Sure that sick fecked up racist people are wrong, but why give them the satisfaction of knowing they're being heard by making a statement like this one when there's absolutely nothing we can do about it to punish them?

Stevondo8

That is not 100% full truth as the Irish Garda/police charged a teenager for doing it to Ian Wright and he is in court for it, so if a police service in another country can take it seriously I cant see why the Met cant get off their lazy arses and do something about the vile bastards.

Twitter are banning morons that supported trump left right and center, Amazon kicked Parler off the net for allowing it, but they dont seen to give a shit unless it affect the people they support or care for which is just as fecked up.
I know some cases have gone to the police, Stan Collymore often highlights abuse he gets and court cases that have resulted, the problem I guess is it seems like it’s left to the person on the receiving end to refer it to the police.

In this particular instance, if someone reports a post for a social media company to investigate/remove, shouldn’t the social media company also pass details onto the police themselves?

Laws around online abuse need reviewing.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Even if there wasn't literally a rule about this, surely it's a common courtesy to spend 15 seconds on retyping the title so that it doesn't look like this?

I've changed it, but please, don't do this again. Thanks.
Tbf I wasn't thinking about reformatting the title during the 2 mins break I took at work... Is there not more important things to be getting onto posters about than unintentional all capitals?

Anyway, message received.

NinjaFletch

Call me cynical or whatever but I think its just to deviate attention from the shitty performance.

Sure that sick fecked up racist people are wrong, but why give them the satisfaction of knowing they're being heard by making a statement like this one when there's absolutely nothing we can do about it to punish them?

I can think of worse I'd rather call you after this post, tbh.

Shockingly, it might just be possible that the club wanted to make an overt statement of support for a player who, let's be honest, will know he had a shit game last night and is now suffering vile racist abuse from a bunch of knuckle dragging troglodytes who think that racist abuse is somehow an acceptable response to that.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Disgusted to hear that Tuanzebe and Martial were subjected to online racial abuse last night. There's no place for this now or ever. Glad the club has responded with strongly worded statements.

They might deserve abuse for their performances but it should never ever be about colour :'(

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

The more we bring attention to this kind of filth, the sooner social media platforms like Twitter will be forced to act rather than bury their heads in the sand. That attention seekers get the attention they seek is an unfortunate but necessary consequence.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Social media should be regulated. If you want an account, register with your national ID so that people will be accountable for their actions.
Agree with you. Just like opium was legal for a long time and didn't need a driving licence when cars were invented.

Twitter is a total disgrace of a communications platform. Facebook not quite as bad.

Ban under 18s, make everyone identifiable, maybe even make people get a license before being able to use it. I would even do the same for smart phones. Gives kids old Nokia phones and make smart phones 18 plus, regulated and licensed.

I believe it will happen, the really negative sides of these new technologies haven't been properly understood. Pre smartphone social media these issues were a much smaller problem.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I can think of worse I'd rather call you after this post, tbh.

Shockingly, it might just be possible that the club wanted to make an overt statement of support for a player who, let's be honest, will know he had a shit game last night and is now suffering vile racist abuse from a bunch of knuckle dragging troglodytes who think that racist abuse is somehow an acceptable response to that.
Well said

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Any Manchester United fan that racially abuse our own players or anyone at all:

You are scum. You entitled small minded little shits. I am beyond disgusted to read this.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't know mate, maybe give them their own private corner of webspace to spread their disease.

How about this.

Twitter 1, the original: normal human beings may apply and engage in normal conversations, picture identification is required to sign up

Twitter 2, cretin edition: anything with a pulse may apply and engage in... whatever the feck you want. Picture identification is not required, multiple accounts is encouraged thus multiple email addresses may be used. We like AOL personally.

DomesticTadpole

I don't know mate, maybe give them their own private corner of webspace to spread their disease.

How about this.

Twitter 1, the original: normal human beings may apply and engage in normal conversations, picture identification is required to sign up

Twitter 2, cretin edition: anything with a pulse may apply and engage in... whatever the feck you want. Picture identification is not required, multiple accounts is encouraged thus multiple email addresses may be used. We like AOL personally.
It needs more controls over it as does all social media. Twitter 2 might just be open not just racial abuse but sexual abuse for people who really should be chemically castrated.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’m very interested to see if there is a demographic trend for who does this. I’ve always assumed it consists of a bunch of edgy teenagers who don’t think it through when throwing out N-bombs like it’s confetti, or whether they come from fans in certain places in the world (considering Utd does have a wide global fanbase) where racial tolerance is different.
The demograph is the same that voted brexit: unemployed assholes in their 40s that dont like foreigners.

The Firestarter

How about this.

You do realize that Twitter 2 existed , was named Parler, and was banned on all platforms for failure to eliminate public calls for violence?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
kin ell Tom, I think a lot of stupid people voted Brexit and a lot of them because they don’t like immigration, but feck me that is one god-awful post you made above.
Its probably a bit over the line and condescending. I'm having problems articulating just how angry and dissapointed I am that our own fans racially abuse our own players. Its unforgivable.

AshRK

Disgusting behavior. Social media has it's benefits but it has also given many worthless people a voice who just write shit.