United issue statement on racial abuse

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The demograph is the same that voted brexit: unemployed assholes in their 40s that dont like foreigners.
I think you'd be surprised - I reckon most of it is -18 year olds with their "martial szn" stan accounts.

Kids of that age would rather look funny and have banter with their mates and don't care who they harm or what they say. Just look at the kid that was abusing Ian Wright etc.

They all think it's funny and know they won't get in trouble for it.

Also a lot of opposition fans do it too to cause trouble.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You do realize that Twitter 2 existed, was named Parler, and was banned on all platforms for failure to eliminate public calls for violence?

I didn't know that as I avoid anything Twitter-related like the plague.

I wasn't serious with my suggestion, thought that was obvious, then again, I see no issue with having a more heavily moderated Twitter with more stringent signup requirements. It could still be made available for public viewing, so you can keep up to date on whatever interests you, but without the option to post unless signed in.

I mean why not?

Cloud7

One thing we as a fanbase need to move away from saying is “these people aren’t real fans.” Just as with any other club, and society as a whole, there’s likely to be a significant chunk of our fanbase that are full blown racists.

TheGodsInRed

Social media is a cesspit. Gives people enough anonymity to share their racist, discriminatory or fake conspiracy theories, which as we have seen in the US can be super dangerous and give people far right beliefs that are way off the mark.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think you'd be surprised - I reckon most of it is -18 year olds with their "martial szn" stan accounts.

Kids of that age would rather look funny and have banter with their mates and don't care who they harm or what they say. Just look at the kid that was abusing Ian Wright etc.

They all think it's funny and know they won't get in trouble for it.

Also a lot of opposition fans do it too to cause trouble.
Then it is about time they did.

Adam-Utd

Then it is about time they did.
Yep. They usually just end up closing their accounts and moving onto a back up.

The police need to have a dedicated unit to this type of thing now, they're so behind the times in that sense - if people knew they would be getting a visit at home from a policeman they'd soon behave.

I'm not even sure these people are genuinely racist, they just want to be abusive and know racism is something that'll upset them. Very sad.

DomesticTadpole

The police need to have a dedicated unit to this type of thing now, they're so behind the times in that sense - if people knew they would be getting a visit at home from a policeman they'd soon behave.

I'm not even sure these people are genuinely racist, they just want to be abusive and know racism is something that'll upset them. Very sad.
Agree with this. People cannot moan, you put it on a public forum then you should take the consequences.

Adam-Utd

Agree with this. People cannot moan, you put it on a public forum then you should take the consequences.
Exactly, the internet should now be dealt with like real life.

People like to say "it's freedom of speech" but you'd never go around talking like that in real life, even if you felt it. If you did you'd get in trouble.

I'm all for people standing up for themselves or protesting etc, but just to abuse people they're angry? that's not free speech.

RedDevil@84

This will always be there. Many people are just a**holes, dumping their trash on someone else. Usually you can't go to abuse the famous and rich in their houses, because you will get arrested. Internet bridges that gap.

Acole9

Outstanding
Social media is awful. It's getting to the point where I want nothing to do with it.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Players should delete their social media accounts. Nevermind the marketing, branding or whatever, let United deal with that.

The people who own these platforms allow the vilest things to be said with no consequences. Just wish most people would leave these platforms because there is no incentive for Insta or Twitter to clean up their act.

As for those 'fans', they can feck off with their disgusting behaviour. The players didn't perform well, but how do you go from a bad performance to criticising someone's colour? It's insane.

DomesticTadpole

Players should delete their social media accounts. Nevermind the marketing, branding or whatever, let United deal with that.

The people who own these platforms allow the vilest things to be said with no consequences. Just wish most people would leave these platforms because there is no incentive for Insta or Twitter to clean up their act.

As for those 'fans', they can feck off with their disgusting behaviour. The players didn't perform well, but how do you go from a bad performance to criticising someone's colour? It's insane.
Them having their own twitter accounts and quite often getting paid for clicks and retweets etc. will be used by some as another excuse. You are getting money for this so I can say what I like and you will be paid. As you say take them away and let the club promote their players for their own mental welfare. Do they have personal accounts and then ones run by their people?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Them having their own twitter accounts and quite often getting paid for clicks and retweets etc. will be used by some as another excuse. You are getting money for this so I can say what I like and you will be paid. As you say take them away and let the club promote their players for their own mental welfare. Do they have personal accounts and then ones run by their people?
I don't know to be honest. I'm completely ignorant about social media as I don't use it. This forum is all I do. What I will say is that no amount of money is worth it. I see Greenwood had a torrid time on social media as well and I figure it's affected him. Truly the players shouldn't be on there, but I'm not of the younger generation so I have no clue how you dissuade them. My solution to negativity is read a book, but not sure this will work with young footballers!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Happy to say, I haven't seen any of it, even though I am on twitter. I have no problem with people who think Martial isn't good enough for United but taking that further takes a very special sort of ignorance

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't know to be honest. I'm completely ignorant about social media as I don't use it. This forum is all I do. What I will say is that no amount of money is worth it. I see Greenwood had a torrid time on social media as well and I figure it's affected him. Truly the players shouldn't be on there, but I'm not of the younger generation so I have no clue how you dissuade them. My solution to negativity is read a book, but not sure this will work with young footballers!
think is, the club like the players to be active on social media - most employers do: I was always expected to "like" posts from a previous employer, retweet then and get numbers up. Can't tell you how often I forgot to do so... and was never on things like snapchat

DomesticTadpole

I've no idea either. I am on facebook, but no photos on there. I think family is private. Won't go near anything else. It's poisonous. Everybody wants to broadcast every single thing they do. Everything their kids do. I don't get it.

SAFMUTD

I can think of worse I'd rather call you after this post, tbh.

Shockingly, it might just be possible that the club wanted to make an overt statement of support for a player who, let's be honest, will know he had a shit game last night and is now suffering vile racist abuse from a bunch of knuckle dragging troglodytes who think that racist abuse is somehow an acceptable response to that.
Its not acceptable of course, Im not arguing that. But we can't do anything as of today to hold that people accountable. By issuing statements like these do you think they'll stop? I think on the contrary it encourage them more as they now theyre been seen and that their stupid posts are have effect.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There’s a big problem with racism in this fan base. All they need is an excuse to show it. Some of it blatant, the majority of it is well hidden, you see it all the time in how fans criticise certain players differently then others.

SAFMUTD

The more we bring attention to this kind of filth, the sooner social media platforms like Twitter will be forced to act rather than bury their heads in the sand. That attention seekers get the attention they seek is an unfortunate but necessary consequence.
You have a point there, but I think we are far away from that as of today.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Think it can't get any worse we put in that hideous performance and lost to bottom of the league? Think again when we have pondlife like this following us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There’s a big problem with racism in this fan base. All they need is an excuse to show it. Some of it blatant, the majority of it is well hidden, you see it all the time in how fans criticise certain players differently then others.
Are they really a fan base ? For all we know they're just anonymous Twitter / Insta abusers.

At some point somekind of investigation needs ot happen to finally know the facts about people, or bunch of kids behind it.

These trolls will continue whilst the club are releasing statements on them and every player and pundit is screenshotting what they said. All about the attention.
Agreed.

Sadly, if some people know that posting a line of emojii's is going to get them worldwide attention, get them in the media, get the attention of their favourite players, their favourite club...they're going to do it. They don't care if the attention is positive or negative.

From the screenshots I've seen there were 5 accounts involved today. From a bit of research, 2 were from Indonesia, 1 was Kenyan (!)...the other two had fake profiles. How do you police that?

A few weeks ago, there was a complete media storm after Junior Stanislas received one tweet from one account. One account from Twitter's 440 million active userbase - all of whom are living in different countries with wildly disparate norms and laws.

Who is that media storm helping? We all know that social contagion is a powerful thing. We have scientific data that shows that, when starved of attention and social reward, trolls will stop.

But more surprising was what we found when we included negative social potency in the model. The effect of negative social potency was far stronger than the any other effects of trolling, such as psychopathy and sadism.

This means that while antisocial personality traits do play a role, what really influences trolling behaviour is the social pleasure derived from knowing that others are annoyed by it. The more negative social impact the troll has, the more their behaviour is reinforced.
As a society, we're currently giving them this social potency on an absolutely epic scale.

Literally the best thing that can be done is block and ignore. If the message contains racist abuse or threats of violence, privately report to the authorities.

Engaging with and magnifying the abuse is the worst thing that can be done. Both in terms of social impact (creating the illusion of an even more widespread issue than there already is) and in terms of actually reducing the amount of abuse. I fully expect the media already know this, as the risk of social contagion is accepted in just about every other form of reporting.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are they really a fan base ? For all we know they're just anonymous Twitter / Insta abusers.

At some point somekind of investigation needs ot happen to finally know the facts about people, or bunch of kids behind it.
I’ve heard it with my own ears in the stadium & in pubs watching us. Redcafe is a very politically correct & inclusive forum but it does not represent a lot of the local fan base. I can 100% assure you of that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I’ve heard it with my own ears in the stadium & in pubs. Redcafe is a very politically correct & inclusive forum but it does not represent the local fan base. I can 100% assure you of that.
I believe you, mate. The good thing about internet is that nothing is lost and can be pulled up even if deleted.

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

Can you both see that really tiny speck in the distance??

That speck represents reality and more specifically how far you are from it!!!

Adam-Utd

Can you both see that really tiny speck in the distance??

That speck represents reality and more specifically how far you are from it!!!
eh? care to explain instead of talking in riddles.

NinjaFletch

Its not acceptable of course, Im not arguing that. But we can't do anything as of today to hold that people accountable. By issuing statements like these do you think they'll stop? I think on the contrary it encourage them more as they now theyre been seen and that their stupid posts are have effect.
I don't think anyone is naïve enough to believe that one statement from United will fix racism, no.

What I do think it can do is provide material support to the players who have to experience it and send the clear message that those 'fans' aren't welcome or wanted. It's about the clubs duty of care to the players.

Adam-Utd

Suggesting a dedicated Police team for these sorts of things, is, IMO, a really daft idea.

It just isn’t going to happen.
They have dedicated teams for all sorts, why wouldn't they want to police issues like this?

Obviously it would require social media playing ball and revealing personal information - but once people knew they were at risk of getting properly caught this sort of stuff would stop immediately.

You might think it's a bad idea but I don't, and I suspect with these sort of incidents happening more and more it'll happen sooner rather than later.

K Stand Knut

They have dedicated teams for all sorts, why wouldn't they want to police issues like this?

Obviously it would require social media playing ball and revealing personal information - but once people knew they were at risk of getting properly caught this sort of stuff would stop immediately.

You might think it's a bad idea but I don't, and I suspect with these sort of incidents happening more and more it'll happen sooner rather than later.
I will categorically tell you that in the UK, it will not happen. There simply isn’t enough Police to do the jobs they’ve got now, never mind this in top.

I also don’t think you realise how difficult it would be to find the majority of these people.

Forgive me if I’m hazy but what exact personal information do you HAVE to put in to get a social media account. From memory, it’s an e-Mail address alone, isn’t it? Any tracking of the offenders would the be reliant on that information being both accurate and up to date. I’d then hazard a guess that people who have these types of account don’t use their real names

SAFMUTD

I don't think anyone is naïve enough to believe that one statement from United will fix racism, no.

What I do think it can do is provide material support to the players who have to experience it and send the clear message that those 'fans' aren't welcome or wanted. It's about the clubs duty of care to the players.
I agree in the manner that the club should support players in those situations. But I dont think its a serious issue when its on social media, if its on the stadium then ban the feckers, jail them or whatever. But social media we all know is a place where those cowards can say whatever they want behind a computer and hide their identity. So I think we do more damage by letting everyone know theyre being seen rather than ignore them.

What will their purpose be if they comment and comment and comment but nobody repplies? why would they persist if their not noticed? let them write their little feck head frustations and move on. By acknowledging them you give them a reason to keep on doing it, they know they are seen so they have a motivation to continue.

Tony247

Close all social media and keep only private forums. Good old days.

Fully Fledged

Call me cynical or whatever but I think its just to deviate attention from the shitty performance.

Sure that sick fecked up racist people are wrong, but why give them the satisfaction of knowing they're being heard by making a statement like this one when there's absolutely nothing we can do about it to punish them?
The club has to make a statement. They can't stay quiet while their players are being racially abused whether by our own fans or fans of other clubs.

patty123

In this particular instance, if someone reports a post for a social media company to investigate/remove, shouldn’t the social media company also pass details onto the police themselves?

Laws around online abuse need reviewing.
Totally, but like I said in the OP, the likes of zuckerman, dorsley and bezo only give two shits and remove posts when its suits them or their friends.

As they were able to remove massive amounts of posts during the us election they didnt agree with, so what does that tell you what they really think about this kind of crap that has no place in today's world .

My take, all people of not just colour if members of these sites should just quit, major companies refuse to have anything to do with them and watch the scum kick into action when it affects their profit lines.

SAFMUTD

The club has to make a statement. They can't stay quiet while their players are being racially abused whether by our own fans or fans of other clubs.
Theyre going to be making statements everyday then, sadly racist abuse is an everyday thing on social networks.