United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Definitely.
I admire your blind faith.

Mourinho could also have stayed at Inter, or Real Madrid, or Chelsea the first time round when he left after a 0-0 draw.
How could he have stayed at Chelsea when he was sacked? Refuse to go? :lol:

Do go on and win major trophies with Preston North End and Everton, at a time when oil magnates from around the world come seeping cash into your rivals' mouth.
Let's ask Martinez and the others who have managed non-top clubs and won a cup in the last decade.

a) I didn't say anyone, try reading the rest of my post.

b) Any sane observer could see the terrible shortcomings we had lingering in our side last season, but it is no surprise the short-sighted, trophy-craving fans calling for Moyes' demise have already forgotten the on-going central midfield and general squad depth issues we had last season.
Funny how Sir Alex knows best when it comes to picking his successor, yet the same Sir Alex who said he left a great squad is completely wrong when it comes to squad building.

Do carry on quoting bits of my posts and labelling them nonsense out of their context. Look, I'm about to do the same with yours:
If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014
Do please explain this statement.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Did you get one of those pm's welcoming you up and if so who sent it just so I can personally thank Cina for your promotion.
Since you mention it, I was promoted after three days to the main forum. How long did it take you btw?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Wanting to stay for the long term is one managerial quality, along with many others required to make it at MUFC. Moyes has it, others don't.

David Moyes has many others he demonstrated in 10+ years (even in glimpses at our club), which led Sir Alex Ferguson to appoint him as his successor.
Pray tell...

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's a shame you're not a coach and Sir Alex Ferguson doesn't know you and wouldn't even buy you a curry, let alone make him his successor.
I had a glass of wine with him once, does that qualify? or does it have to be curry?

Blasphemy

Please god not Van Gaal, would be such a massive step backwards for this club to appoint a manager who can't succeed at other big clubs ala Rafa/Van Gaal. If we absolutely have to start sacking managers every season, lets at least take gambles on up and coming, hungry managers, not 65 year jokes who threaten to get barca relegated
How the hell have Rafa and Van Gaal not been successful?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mourinho could also have stayed at Inter, or Real Madrid, or Chelsea the first time round when he left after a 0-0 draw.

Do go on and win major trophies with Preston North End and Everton, at a time when oil magnates from around the world come seeping cash into your rivals' mouth.
Mourinho wanted to win major trophies everywhere though before he settled. Hardly a bad thing, an ambitious manager who wanted to go down in history. He left Chelsea the first time because abramovich forced him out as well. Not the same thing.

So because Everton isn't owned by Arab or rich owners, that makes it acceptable for a club of their size to have own nothing and not even looking like they will for the last 11 years? I thought you said longevity equals success though? Didn't seem to do much for Everton other then keep them mid table for a decade, and only now with him gone are they looking like moving to the next level. And that's only results wise, ignoring that the overall play is worlds apart. How did they get there? By bringing in a manager who always showed signs of being a very good manager. Having even a shite team like Wigan play good football and win the fa cup, beating moyes' Everton 3-0 in the process.

United is a top club, and so needs to have a top manager in charge, not some average manager. What happens to top clubs when they bring in mid table managers? They go through shit seasons that are labeled as transition years and only when they bring in a top manager do they get back to where they belong, at the top. It's not rocket science really.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Do please explain this statement.
As explained previously, Moyes was appointed by the best indicated person on the back of strong managerial credentials.

Everyone knew he would take time to settle, especially since our squad had massive underlying shortcomings dating back to several years and that were bound to explode at some point.

He has struggled this season but only needs a bit of trust to show week in week out the glimpses of character we have seen from him leading us against the best side in Europe and taking the lead in both games.

What's more, besides being a top manager, he wants to stay here long term as opposed to most names we see floating around here. The only problem is most here would favour a coach bringing short-term success before moving on to other things, to a coach that will do it overtime.

Crashoutcassius

How the hell have Rafa and Van Gaal not been successful?
If he was that successful in this most recent spells, bayern and barca, he would still be at the club instead of being fired. At Barca he was sacked in january with Barca 3 pts from relegation zone. At Bayern he was sacked in April with Bayern in 4th. Rafa's fine, but when Liverpool and Chelsea both sack him in the last 5-6 years I don't think it's suitable to label him our savior eithe

Blasphemy

If he was that successful in this most recent spells, bayern and barca, he would still be at the club instead of being fired. Rafa's fine, but when Liverpool and Chelsea both sack him in the last 5-6 years I don't think it's suitable to label him our savior either
By your standards Sir Alex is the only successful manager in the last 20 years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mourinho wanted to win major trophies everywhere though before he settled. Hardly a bad thing, an ambitious manager who wanted to go down in history. He left Chelsea the first time because abramovich forced him out as well. Not the same thing.

So because Everton isn't owned by Arab or rich owners, that makes it acceptable for a club of their size to have own nothing and not even looking like they will for the last 11 years? I thought you said longevity equals success though? Didn't seem to do much for Everton other then keep them mid table for a decade, and only now with him gone are they looking like moving to the next level. And that's only results wise, ignoring that the overall play is worlds apart. How did they get there? By bringing in a manager who always showed signs of being a very good manager. Having even a shite team like Wigan play good football and win the fa cup, beating moyes' Everton 3-0 in the process.

United is a top club, and so needs to have a top manager in charge, not some average manager. What happens to top clubs when they bring in mid table managers? They go through shit seasons that are labeled as transition years and only when they bring in a top manager do they get back to where they belong, at the top. It's not rocket science really.
Hindsight's a wonderful thing isn' t it? Were you putting forward the virtues of Martinez as a Utd manager when he was at Wigan? I know I did and got laughed at

bosnian_red

Wanting to stay for the long term is one managerial quality, along with many others required to make it at MUFC. Moyes has it, others don't.

David Moyes has many others he demonstrated in 10+ years (even in glimpses at our club), which led Sir Alex Ferguson to appoint him as his successor.
Really would love to see you name these qualities.
Youth? Nope, evertons own u-18 coach criticized moyes how he never cared much about the youth squad, Barkley basically saying how he's much happier now that he's getting chances then before when moyes just loaned him out to anybody.

Playing attacking football? Yeah right.
He is Scottish though, I'll give you that.

An Irish Red

What's more, besides being a top manager, he wants to stay here long term as opposed to most names we see floating around here. The only problem is most here would favour a coach bringing short-term success before moving on to other things, to a coach that will do it overtime.
David Moyes is a top manager? you are incredibly deluded if you think he is. Spectacularly deluded in scouse proportions.

Crashoutcassius

By your standards Sir Alex is the only successful manager in the last 20 years.
Guardiola and Klopp won't be sacked from their clubs. I just don't think replacing moyes with an average manager like Van Gaal who wasn't able to get the best out of his previous two clubs is a good move. Fair enough if you do.

Cal?

CR7 fan
As explained previously, Moyes was appointed by the best indicated person on the back of strong managerial credentials.

Everyone knew he would take time to settle, especially since our squad had massive underlying shortcomings dating back to several years and that were bound to explode at some point.

He has struggled this season but only needs a bit of trust to show week in week out the glimpses of character we have seen from him leading us against the best side in Europe and taking the lead in both games.

You seem to have ignored my earlier post:

Funny how Sir Alex knows best when it comes to picking his successor, yet the same Sir Alex who said he left a great squad is completely wrong when it comes to squad building.

An Irish Red

Guardiola and Klopp won't be sacked from their clubs. I just don't think replacing moyes with an average manager like Van Gaal who wasn't able to get the best out of his previous two clubs is a good move. Fair enough if you do.
If Van Gaal is average then what the hell is Moyes? he could only dream of winning trophies with Bayern, Barcelona and Ajax. That statement would still work without mentioning the name of any clubs.

bosnian_red

Hindsight's a wonderful thing isn' t it? Were you putting forward the virtues of Martinez as a Utd manager when he was at Wigan? I know I did and got laughed at
I always said he was better then moyes though and more suited to a top teams same with pochettino. Neither are at the level to be united managers yet, but we'd be far better off with them. I said from the start the exact same thing I've been saying all year about moyes, and he's been even worse then I thought he'd be. Always felt he might get us in the champions league but we'd be shit to watch, we'd never win trophies with him, etc.
When stories that moyes would take over came out, I was very much in the anybody but moyes camp. Not really hindsight when it was obvious that he's not suited to a top club from the start, and he's the complete opposite of anything united has ever been like.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
You seem to have ignored my earlier post:
Feel free to spit on the judgment of the man who brought all the success you have ever cherished as a football fan.

And forgive me for not joining in.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Being proven right is normally a wonderful thing, unfortunately for a lot of us, Moyes being a disaster is a prediction I didn't want to get proven right... :(

Blasphemy

7 league titles across three countries, 3 domestic cups, 1 Champions League and 1 Uefa Cup.

How the hell is that average?

VP

It was always going to take some time for anyone to get accustomed to Man United post-Ferguson

David Moyes is currently in the process of doing just that, and if we change him we just become another club.

He has shown, by taking the lead twice against Bayern and in some league games, he has what it takes to grow into the MUFC coaching suit.

Let him live or let MUFC become another Liverpool or Chelsea.
Staggering on so many levels. Taking the lead has become the indicator of success? Grow into the coaching role? this is not a fecking internship. you cannot learn on this job.

The only thing that separates us from other clubs is success. This misguided superiority complex has to die.

Let him live and let MUFC become another Everton.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Feel free to spit on the judgment of the man who brought all the success you have ever cherished as a football fan.

He said he left a great squad and sees United continue the success for years to come, it's the likes of you who moan and moan about the squad he left behind and believe the shit that Moyes has been feeding you about rebuilding.

It appears you're the one spitting on his legacy as the greatest manager ever.

Fact is Sir Alex would have got this squad in the top 3 with no problems whatsoever.

bosnian_red

I know plenty of bayern fans say that their current success wouldn't have happened if van gaal didn't lay the foundations for it first. He rebuilt them, put his trust in their excellent youth players when the previous managers were prepared to get rid, had them playing good attacking football and had them competing still. They even made the champions league final once, beating us in the process. He's as good as it gets to rebuild the club and get us back on track, rather then sitting around mid table like we are.

bobbyf

I'm sure there are loads of managers out there who would love to stay at one of the biggest clubs long term. Doesn't mean they're the right person for the job though.

We all know why SAF appointed him and it's not like the great man never made mistakes. This is just one of his biggest. Moyes demonstrated in 10+ years that he could overachieve at a club on a limited budget, and he's not the only manager ever to do this. However, the pressure to succeed and expectations were nowhere near as high as at our club, on a completely different stratosphere.

And now, ironically his successor has taken Everton ahead of us!! If that isn't proof that he's incapable of doing the job then what is? Maybe there was a reason why their fans didn't make any fuss about keeping hold of him. His terrible performance as our manager just proves even more that we need a big name in charge.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If we gave him six years we'd win the quadruple.
It's amazing that only United know to operate this way, god forbid Liverpool gave Souness or Evan 6 yrs back in the 90s, Sir Alex would never have knocked them off their perch.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
8 new pages since I last opened this thread :lol:

I wish I was wrong, I really do - but I just don't see this. Please someone try and convince me otherwise.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
David Moyes would not have been given the job if he was English. It's as simple as that.

Blasphemy

Wouldn't actually be the first time a legendary ex-manager has led us down a dark road after retiring.

bosnian_red

What does this even mean? Sir Alex said many times he left the club in a great position for future success, making it as easy as possible for the next manager to take over, had a fantastic backroom staff set up, had world class players in the club, and great facilities. Moyes takes over and within a few months suddenly we are loaded with mid table players, need a complete revamp, moyes saying even fergie wouldn't do better with this squad, him basically telling the squad time and time again he'll have huge changes in the summer, all because they played like shit because of him. Suddenly he manages a draw against bayern by parking the bus and suddenly he says we have a very good squad with some great players, capable of results like that. He's just clueless.

Cal?

CR7 fan
David Moyes would not have been given the job if he was English. It's as simple as that.
His similarities with Sir Alex begin and end with their nationality. Let's just make Fletcher player-manager.

bosnian_red

I wish I was wrong, I really do - but I just don't see this. Please someone try and convince me otherwise.
Only because nani nana has gone a bit mad and said some ridiculous things having everyone else pretty much jump on what he says :lol:
It's been pretty funny to be honest.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Mainly because Nani Nana came up with this gem:

If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I cant belie

Lets say that SAF left 3 years ago and Moyes was offered the job, do you think he would have turned it down because he was committed long term to Everton? And what if SAF left 7 years ago and Moyes was offered the job? Do you think he would have turned us down?

There's two main reasons why Moyes remained at Everton for so long

a) he reached Everton targets and did well enough not to be sacked
b) No big club wanted him

Its as simple as that. There's absolutely no guarantee that if Moyes is offered Real's, Barcelona's or Bayern's post he would stick to us. The only guarantee we have is that he's actually not that good to be offered that post in the first place.

Lance Uppercut

Pardew was handed an 8 year contract. Bayern are shaking in their boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.