United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasmanc

Banned
How is Moyes in any way an arsehole?
Claiming a title winning squad isn't good enough for him to manage a decent season out of and then claiming it's getting on a bit when it's got one of the lower average ages in the league, claiming the greatest manager of all time would struggle with the squad that he left him with, taking blame for poor performances only to immediately pass it onto the players in his next statement makes for a bit of an arsehole in my eyes, I could go on but what's the point. He's now got quite an army spewing the same propaganda he's fed to the media in a steady drip all season and I am very sorry but I ain't buying it.

Drummer

It'd be a good idea to pick a more qualified manager to do that, wouldn't it?
You would have to ask SAF that. I would think he's more qualified to answer it then any of the hindsight brigade here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
United has had most of its success with two managers in a time when these men controlled all aspects of the club and had extensive time to build squads..

Trying to recreate this success isn't crazy, it's actually very intelligent. If it works out we have another legacy where we may rule supreme again. If it fails we can be like everybody else and take sporadic success every few seasons and be happy being part of the pack.
It is a little crazy though. Sir Alex and Sir Matt always stuck out and proved to be 2 of the best managers of all time. Judging by that, we're apparerently looking for the next best manager of all time, and will give everyone 3-5 years to prove that they have what it takes until we find the next Fergie. That's just stupid and a sure fire way to see the club go to shit. Moyes isn't fit to lace their boots either, so to speak. It's an insult to them to even put his name in the same sentence.

Also, shouldn't longevity be the result of success? If you prove successful, show promising signs for the future, why would you get sacked? If you do what Moyes did this season, you deserve a lot worse then just getting sacked really. He's been a complete disaster for the club, and the only thing that would make it worse it wasting next season by some false, blind hope that he might come good because people think time=success since it worked with Fergie. It doesn't. The only thing Fergie and Moyes have in common is that they're both scottish. That's it.

Anyways, getting Van Gaal in to steady the ship would prepare the club for the next long term manager so to speak. Nobody could take over and be a long term manager right after Fergie left, that's what I'm saying. It was always a job for an experienced guy with plenty of success to back up what he does, and rebuild and prepare for the next guy when he becomes available. Van Gaal is perfect for that. He'd keep us at the top for a few years, not make us a mid table club and suddenly an unattractive option when somebody like Klopp or Simeone is prepared to leave.

Rory 7

I want moyes out, but I don't want van gaal. There's just something about him that I don't like but I can't pinpoint it. Can we please just get Klopp instead? Or even De Boer eho seems to be doing a great job with Ajax.
Would you take Van Gaal + De Boer. Because there are rumours in Holland that is the assistant Van Gaal wants to bring with him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because we are a club. Like other clubs. All this holier than thou stuff is nonsensical. And what's wrong with Liverpool exactly? They are one of the truly great clubs in football history. And this idea that sacking a manager who has looked inept will make the club lesser is absolute nonsense. I have more respect for arguments in favour of Moyes that stem from a viewpoint they actually rate him as a football manager rather than those that use this weird illogical logic.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Mourinho has never dominated anywhere.
Let's see...

Porto: 2 titles in 2 seasons, EL & CL...
Chelsea: 2 titles in 3 seasons, 1 with the highest ever points total...
Inter: 2 titles in 2 season, 1st ever Italian Treble...
Real: 1 title in 3 season

Except his Real stint which coincided with the greatest team ever ever, I'd say he dominated everywhere.

Spoony

The People's President
Well he got the Liverpool job based on one season. That's not going too bad for him so far.

I agree with the sentiment though. The likes of Pochettino being suggested is silly.
Well to be fair, this place is a kin to a cricket captain chasing the ball to set his field. Very reactionary.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You would have to ask SAF that. I would think he's more qualified to answer it then any of the hindsight brigade here.
He's certainly more qualified to explain his poor decision, that's for sure.

NM

Let's see...

Porto: 2 titles in 2 seasons, EL & CL...
Chelsea: 2 titles in 3 seasons, 1 with the highest ever points total...
Inter: 2 titles in 2 season, 1st ever Italian Treble...

Real: 1 title in 3 season

Except his Real stint which coincided with the greatest team ever ever, I'd say he dominated everywhere.
Yup took over a Chelsea team. Spent a ton, won.
Took over a dominant Inter team (match fixing had destroyed the league). Spent a ton. Won

He's probably the best manager in the game, but he has handpicked where has gone (same as Pep)

gasmanc

Banned
I think we've proven that being a great manager doesn't make you an expert at actually picking great managers, the Moyes in brigade should perhaps have looked at our history before insisting that SAF must have this right due to the success of his managerial career.

Dominos

We need a new manager. What are the options?
Van Gaal is gettable, Pochettino too probably if we wanted to take chance on him.

Feint hope Madrid sack Ancelotti. I think they'll give him another season even if they do finish trophyless (they are still on for the treble).

Klopp and Simeone are tied down to their clubs, in theory it's possible we could snatch them but Klopp in particular is committed to his current club.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hindsight? :lol:

Go dig up the thread called "Next United manager expected to be Mourinho or Moyes" or something similar and see what people said 3-4 years ago.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Took over a dominant Inter team (match fixing had destroyed the league). Spent a ton. Won

He's probably the best manager in the game, but he has handpicked where has gone (same as Pep)
I'd say he earned that right by first winning the UCL with Porto and succeeding at Chelsea.As much as I don't like him, he proved himself a winner and you can apply any criteria you like, he went there and won.That's the best statement on your CV

Raul Madrid

Inter were struggling a great deal in Europe before he took over and they were not exactly favourites for the cl that year as there team was no better than madrids, chelseas, bayerns or barcelonas. Also Madrid were struggling in Europe too and it was him made it possible for us to make four consecutive semi finals

Cal?

CR7 fan

Shocking logic that teams want the best manager to become successful... so against the United Way (TM)

Also, he actually didn't spend a ton at Inter, I think he actually made a profit with his transfers or was quite close to it.

RustyS

Are the people bringing up the fact that Mourinho spends a lot of money (again) different than the ones who want Moyes to spend 100m+ in the summer?

Rory 7

Why would de boer want to become an assistant?
Supposedly Van Gaal wants to work with a 'coach' and has identified De Boer as his man, with a view to De Boer succeeding him.

Dutch journalist on talksport raised this on the radio during the week.

Moriarty

One of the perks of being the best. Klopp doesn't seem a likely candidate to me because of his strong ties with Dortmund. The fact that the clubs flogs his best players to Bayern doesn't seem to faze him at all. He's firmly wedded to the cause. I do not want to see a revolving door at Old Trafford but finding somebody cut from the same cloth as Fergie is a nigh-on impossible task in the modern era. Klopp would seem to fit the bill though of all the men mentioned.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are the people bringing up the fact that Mourinho spends a lot of money (again) different than the ones who want Moyes to spend 100m+ in the summer?
But but Moyes is a nice guy, so it's okay for him to spend a ton and "hopefully" get back into the CL places, when Mourinho spends a ton to win titles, it's just evil, or something...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Here’s my controversial opinion: Van Gaal does seem authoritarian, and even a little arrogant. I would take that instead of timid and hardworking manager (what does it even mean?). Seems more capable of managing squad with world class players to me.

Also, shouldn't longevity be the result of success? If you prove successful, show promising signs for the future, why would you get sacked? If you do what Moyes did this season, you deserve a lot worse then just getting sacked really. He's been a complete disaster for the club, and the only thing that would make it worse it wasting next season by some false, blind hope that he might come good because people think time=success since it worked with Fergie. It doesn't. The only thing Fergie and Moyes have in common is that they're both scottish. That's it.
Well said. I can’t see any signs from Moyes which would make me believe that he will come good with more time.

Also, this might be our only chance to get an experienced manager, as it seems nobody else will be available for at least a few seasons.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Here’s my controversial opinion: Van Gaal does seem authoritarian, and even a little arrogant. I would take that instead of timid and hardworking manager (what does it even mean?). Seems more capable of managing squad with world class players to me.

Well said. I can’t see any signs from Moyes which would make me believe that he will come good with more time.

Also, this might be our only chance to get an experienced manager, as it seems nobody else will be available for at least a few seasons.
We don't know who will be available from season to season. Contracts are worth shit

NM

Inter were struggling a great deal in Europe before he took over and they were not exactly favourites for the cl that year as there team was no better than madrids, chelseas, bayerns or barcelonas. Also Madrid were struggling in Europe too and it was him made it possible for us to make four consecutive semi finals
Are you really going to use Madrid as an example of Mourinho's good work? If he didn't leave, the players would have revolted. They hated him by the end. He destroyed squad harmony there.

You seem to be a madrid fan - correct me if I'm wrong in what I've said

NM

Shocking logic that teams want the best manager to become successful... so against the United Way (TM)

Also, he actually didn't spend a ton at Inter, I think he actually made a profit with his transfers or was quite close to it.
Well yes, the Etoo Ibrahimovic deal probably accounted for that.

Your first sentence means you didn't understand my point, so jog on.

Blasphemy

Great managers don't need to manage crap clubs with no money because they're great managers.

And Mourinho actually did manage a crap club in his early day. Leira in Portugal, led them to their highest ever finish in the entire clubs history. Where are they now? In the Portuguese third tier.

Last edited:

Raul Madrid

Are you really going to use Madrid as an example of Mourinho's good work? If he didn't leave, the players would have revolted. They hated him by the end. He destroyed squad harmony there.

I am a Madrid fan, and just because the players are spoilt brats doesn't mean mourinho isn't a good manager or that he didn't do a good job there. He made Madrid into more of a team than they were in ages.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well yes, the Etoo Ibrahimovic deal probably accounted for that.

Your first sentence means you didn't understand my point, so jog on.
So great managers want to manage top clubs and not midtable clubs? Again, shocking logic that...

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
See this is the thought that bothers me. It's a load of bollocks saying shit like that. We've had 2 once in a lifetime managers in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The other 70 years or so were spent with managers lasting at most like 5-6 years, plenty of them leaving after a year and a half, or a year, or 2 years, because they didn't get success. Like every other club. Thinking we have some special tradition where we give managers time is a load of shit really. We've had one manager for the last 27 years because he was successful and there was never a reason to sack him. It's incredibly arrogant and self righteous thinking that we're better then everyone else because we don't sack managers. It's just stupid thinking.
Yep, and that special manager knows better than you what it takes to manage United, having done it for the best part of three decades.

And he saw fit to put David Moyes in that position rather than you.

No one is arguing we should have done better this season, but if you change Moyes and just become another club, your fan life will consist in hoping to go on a roll, have a decent spell for a couple of years before the manager (Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Wenger you name him) bottles it and leaves, to be replaced by the flavour of the month. If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014.

I'm fed up with how short-sighted and reward-needy some MUFC fans are, as if they did not know how long it took to build MUFC in the first place.

bosnian_red

He hardly did a bad job there though. He came up against the best team of all time, finished with 92 points first season and won the cup, making semi finals of the champions league, 100 points second season winning the league and semi finals of the champions league, and then 85 points getting runners up in the cup and semi finals of the champions league. He didn't do a great job, but what can you expect coming up against the best team of all time? No way could he dominate the league, and at a certain stage you need a bit of luck in the champions league which they didn't get. They probably should have won the cup last year but lost in extra time. Hardly a failure though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yep, and that special manager knows better than you what it takes to manage United, having done it for the best part of three decades.

No one is arguing we should have done better this season, but if you change Moyes and just become another club, your fan life will consist in hoping to go on a roll, have a decent spell for a couple of years before the manager (Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Wenger you name him) bottles it and leaves, to be replaced by the flavour of the month. If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014.

I'm fed up with how short-sighted and reward-needy some MUFC fans are, as if they did not know how long it took to build MUFC in the first place.
This is madness.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
This is madness.
The only mad thing is willing to jump on any new name popping up these days and calling him the messiah.

We have a coach who, for all his defects, is keen to stay at Manchester United for the long term.

That is a quality neither Van Gaal or Mourinho have.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Good thing Liverpool didn't realise they'd be back on their perch years ago if only they stuck with Souness or Evans for 6 years... :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
The only mad thing is willing to jump on any new name popping up these days and calling him the messiah.

We have a coach who, for all his defects, is keen to stay at Manchester United for the long term.

Let's just appoint any of us on this forum, I'm sure the Glazers will be happy to pay a fraction of the wage that Moyes is on and most of us will probably accept 500k a year rather than 5m.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Are you really saying that, however shit our manager might be, at least he can stay for ages?

This is a new angle of defence that I haven't prepared for. I need to have some tea.

bosnian_red

Fergie was arguably the best manager of all time. He's not a director though and made a mistake in appointing his successor. You remember by chance who the names he touted as replacing him the last time he said he was going to retire? Martin O'neill, Sven Goren Eriksen, people like that. Hardly inspiring.

Also, we aren't some special club. We're a top club like every other top club. This is the exact type of attitude that makes people hate Barcelona and their more than a club, greater then everyone else attitude. We changed managers when they didn't work all the time before Sir Alex took over. And he took over United that was in the relegation zone after half a season. Huge difference to what Moyes has taken over. You don't see out his whole contract just because of some idiotic principles that aren't true in the first place. Yes they've been true for the last 25 years, because Sir Alex was successful in that time. We were just like every other club before Sir Alex though. Also nobody is saying change managers every few years (even so, seems to work for literally every other top club). You stick with a manager once he shows that he has what it takes to be successful in the future. They show signs at the start of a promising future, show that they can win trophies, compete for titles, play great football, and they'll get the time and nobody will have any complaints. Only thing Moyes has shown is confirmed that he's no more then a mid table manager stuck in his negative ways and the only way we'll ever win cups is by parking the bus against any big team we come up against.

Bear Attack

I don't get the argument really. A manager, through the benefit of long term trust, is bound to succeed?

Why don't we just hire any old jabroni who is willing to stay six years then?

NM

I am a Madrid fan, and just because the players are spoilt brats doesn't mean mourinho isn't a good manager or that he didn't do a good job there. He made Madrid into more of a team than they were in ages.
Oh I agree he is a great manager - the best around right now. I still think he is overrated though.

Status
Not open for further replies.