United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Let's just appoint any of us on this forum, I'm sure the Glazers will be happy to pay a fraction of the wage that Moyes is on and most of us will probably accept 500k a year rather than 5m.
I'm sure plenty of you have ten PL Manager of the Month awards in your drawer, and over 800 league games to account for as manager.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm keen to stay on the Caf for the long term; therefore, I should be an admin.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We don't know who will be available from season to season. Contracts are worth shit
This summer was kind of crazy, all of Barca, Bayern, City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Milan and us have new managers. Taking that into consideration, I can't see any manager from top clubs leaving their clubs in the next 2 seasons. Anyway I think if we don’t get someone this summer, we are stuck with David for some time.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yep, and that special manager knows better than you what it takes to manage United, having done it for the best part of three decades.

And he saw fit to put David Moyes in that position rather than you.

No one is arguing we should have done better this season, but if you change Moyes and just become another club, your fan life will consist in hoping to go on a roll, have a decent spell for a couple of years before the manager (Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Wenger you name him) bottles it and leaves, to be replaced by the flavour of the month. If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014.

I'm fed up with how short-sighted and reward-needy some MUFC fans are, as if they did not know how long it took to build MUFC in the first place.
Surely he'll have success before the nearing the end of his contract.

Next year already.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The only mad thing is willing to jump on any new name popping up these days and calling him the messiah.

We have a coach who, for all his defects, is keen to stay at Manchester United for the long term.

That is a quality neither Van Gaal or Mourinho have.
I bet he is. £5m a year to do a crap job with no pressure from your bosses. It's the zenith of a working environment.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't get the argument really. A manager, through the benefit of long term trust, is bound to succeed?

Why don't we just hire any old jabroni who is willing to stay six years then?
Should have just offered to job to the cheapest applicant willing to sign the longest contract...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only mad thing is willing to jump on any new name popping up these days and calling him the messiah.

We have a coach who, for all his defects, is keen to stay at Manchester United for the long term.

Yeah you're crazy if you think this is some defining quality. Who the feck wouldn't want to stay at United if they got the job? Also why wouldn't Mourinho want to stay long term? He's won trophies everywhere else, he's in it for the long term now. Only thing he has left to do is manager the portuguese national team and he won't do that for another 10 years probably. Van Gaal is for 3-5 years and then he'll retire, and then we can get Klopp, De Boer, Simeone or someone like that in long term. You don't stick with a manager because he wants to be here for 20 years. You stick with him for that long if he constantly delivers, has you playing good, entertaining football, competing for trophies, etc. You don't give him 6 years to take the champions of england back into the champions league :lol:

Blasphemy

This summer was kind of crazy, all of Barca, Bayern, City, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Milan and us have new managers. Taking that into consideration, I can't see any manager from top clubs leaving their clubs in the next 2 seasons. Anyway I think if we don’t get someone this summer, we are stuck with David for some time.
There's loads of managers available.

Van Gaal, Prandelli, Lippi, Capello, Martinez, Pochettino, De Boer probably a bunch of others too.

Managers come and go all the time.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm sure plenty of you have ten PL Manager of the Month awards in your drawer, and over 800 league games to account for as manager.
PL manager of the month award? :lol:

Now I know you're a WUM.

gasmanc

Banned
Yep, and that special manager knows better than you what it takes to manage United, having done it for the best part of three decades.

No one is arguing we should have done better this season, but if you change Moyes and just become another club, your fan life will consist in hoping to go on a roll, have a decent spell for a couple of years before the manager (Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Wenger you name him) bottles it and leaves, to be replaced by the flavour of the month. If you trust one coach, over the 6-year period he is contracted for, you will get similar success in the end. But that's 2019 and not 2014.

I'm fed up with how short-sighted and reward-needy some MUFC fans are, as if they did not know how long it took to build MUFC in the first place.
You should perhaps google the name Wilf Mcguinness and research what happened when the greatest Manchester United manager at that point in history put Wilf in the very same position before being overly confident we're onto a winner here.

bosnian_red

Yeah but I've won as many important trophies as Moyes has won in his managerial career. Does that make me qualified? That's 0, in case you weren't sure. He's an average mid table manager, just like Hodgson was for liverpool. The difference is they realized their mistake after half a season. If it were up to you, we'd stick with someone like Roy for 6 years just because time=success right? Roy would definitely have Liverpool playing like they are now if they just trusted him. Clearly.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Yeah you're crazy if you think this is some defining quality. Who the feck wouldn't want to stay at United if they got the job? Also why wouldn't Mourinho want to stay long term? He's won trophies everywhere else, he's in it for the long term now. Only thing he has left to do is manager the portuguese national team and he won't do that for another 10 years probably. Van Gaal is for 3-5 years and then he'll retire, and then we can get Klopp, De Boer, Simeone or someone like that in long term. You don't stick with a manager because he wants to be here for 20 years. You stick with him for that long if he constantly delivers, has you playing good, entertaining football, competing for trophies, etc. You don't give him 6 years to take the champions of england back into the champions league :lol:
This "long term" nonsense gets on my tits. We got Moyes for the "long term", and he has proceeded in setting us back god knows how many years. Aye, great long term planning there. No idea why we need a long term manager, the other top clubs change managers all the time and still win their leagues, cups and Champions Leagues. It's pure snobbery from the club.

Varun

Staff

a) So we can appoint anyone, give him 6 years and he'l bring success to the club? You realize how daft that sounds?

b) Build MUFC? The side that won the league at a canter last season?

Bear Attack

As hopelessly retarded the line of thinking is, I think it is exactly that of the board's. Sir Alex is chose him, we trust Sir Alex, therefore we should give Moyes time. Against all odds, against all shards of perceivable evidence, we should give him time. It is the ultimate source argument and honestly, it is like the ramblings of a mad man. It's like thinking you married the right woman despite the fact that she set the house on fire, murdered your parents, and drowned the kids in a tub. She's willing to stay with you for six years though so I suppose that'll work out fine.

Moriarty

You should perhaps google the name Wilf Mcguinness and research what happened when the greatest Manchester United manager at that point in history put Wilf in the very same position before being overly confident we're onto a winner here.
Don't need to google, just search the old memory bank. But there are differences. At least Moyes had managed a top-flight team for a number of seasons whereas Wilf was promoted from within. Even so, he did all right for a while in cup competitions. Trouble was, Busby never relinquished control of the team and really didn't until the advent of Fergie. If Docherty is to be believed, Busby had the final say on transfers throughout his time as manager. I don't know whether this continued under Sexton and Atkinson because neither man has spoken about it as far as I'm aware.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
As hopelessly retarded the line of thinking is, I think it is exactly that of the board's. Sir Alex is chose him, we trust Sir Alex, therefore we should give Moyes time. Against all odds, against all shards of perceivable evidence, we should give him time. It is the ultimate source argument and honestly, it is like the ramblings of a mad man. It's like thinking you married the right woman despite the fact that she set the house on fire, murdered your parents, and drowned the kids in a tub. She's willing to stay with you for six years though so I suppose that'll work out fine.
I don’t think they think that way now. After all, they are a bunch of successful businessmen, so there has to be at least one sane person up there…

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Yeah but I've won as many important trophies as Moyes has won in his managerial career. Does that make me qualified? That's 0, in case you weren't sure. He's an average mid table manager, just like Hodgson was for liverpool. The difference is they realized their mistake after half a season. If it were up to you, we'd stick with someone like Roy for 6 years just because time=success right? Roy would definitely have Liverpool playing like they are now if they just trusted him. Clearly.
Funny, at the time, Cafe thought they were classless and made a mistake in sacking Hodgson.

Mainoldo

Don't need to google, just search the old memory bank. But there are differences. At least Moyes had managed a top-flight team for a number of seasons whereas Wilf was promoted from within. Even so, he did all right for a while in cup competitions. Trouble was, Busby never relinquished control of the team and really didn't until the advent of Fergie. If Docherty is to be believed, Busby had the final say on transfers throughout his time as manager. I don't know whether this continued under Sexton and Atkinson because neither man has spoken about it as far as I'm aware.
Atleast them mangers had a 'excuse' for failure. Moyes has non not to mention his top flight management cv of winning nothing.

gasmanc

Banned
I need google being so middle aged :) can I ask was Wilfs tenure better or worse than Moyes in your opinion, I have spoken to many fans and read a few articles and am of the option I would rather have Wilf.

bosnian_red

Funny, at the time, Cafe thought they were classless and made a mistake in sacking Hodgson.
Doubt anybody truly believed that. When rival fans making joke campaigns like keep rafa or Roy at pool, laugh at them every week, you know you have the wrong guy in charge. Roy was blatantly a shit manager and the only reason united fans wanted him to stay was because of how funny it was seeing them struggle with him. Obvious to anyone that they'd get better without him.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Nero wanted to remain the emperor of Rome while it burned around him. That doesn't mean he should have been allowed to stay emperor.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I'd be keen to stay as United manager for 35 years.

Doesn't mean I'd be any good.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's like waiting for a Christmas tree to turn into a Redwood.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Surely he'll have success before the nearing the end of his contract.

Next year already.
Definitely.

Mourinho could also have stayed at Inter, or Real Madrid, or Chelsea the first time round when he left after a 0-0 draw.

Yeah but I've won as many important trophies as Moyes has won in his managerial career.
Do go on and win major trophies with Preston North End and Everton, at a time when oil magnates from around the world come seeping cash into your rivals' mouth.

a) So we can appoint anyone, give him 6 years and he'l bring success to the club? You realize how daft that sounds?

b) Build MUFC? The side that won the league at a canter last season?
a) I didn't say anyone, try reading the rest of my post.

b) Any sane observer could see the terrible shortcomings we had lingering in our side last season, but it is no surprise the short-sighted, trophy-craving fans calling for Moyes' demise have already forgotten the on-going central midfield and general squad depth issues we had last season.

Utter nonsense.
Do carry on quoting bits of my posts and labelling them nonsense out of their context. Look, I'm about to do the same with yours:

An Irish Red

We have a coach who, for all his defects, is keen to stay at Manchester United for the long term. That is a quality neither Van Gaal or Mourinho have.
I'm sure Sam Allardyce would be happy to stay here until he retires and he'd be cheaper as well. Since giving anyone time will equal success according to you will we get him instead?

Think of the spare money we'd have to bring in Carroll and Crouch for him. It sounds mad but after six years we'd just start winning everything anyway sure.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I'd be keen to stay as United manager for 35 years.

Doesn't mean I'd be any good.
It's a shame you're not a coach and Sir Alex Ferguson doesn't know you and wouldn't even buy you a curry, let alone make him his successor.

Crashoutcassius

Please god not Van Gaal, would be such a massive step backwards for this club to appoint a manager who can't succeed at other big clubs ala Rafa/Van Gaal. If we absolutely have to start sacking managers every season, lets at least take gambles on up and coming, hungry managers, not 65 year jokes who threaten to get barca relegated

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I'm sure Sam Allardyce would be happy to stay here until he retires and he'd be cheaper as well. Since giving anyone time will equal success according to you will we get him instead?

Think of the spare money we'd have to bring in Carroll and Crouch for him. It sounds mad but after six years we'd just start winning everything anyway sure.
Wanting to stay for the long term is one managerial quality, along with many others required to make it at MUFC. Moyes has it, others don't.

David Moyes has many others he demonstrated in 10+ years (even in glimpses at our club), which led Sir Alex Ferguson to appoint him as his successor.

gasmanc

Banned
Definitely.

Mourinho could also have stayed at Inter, or Real Madrid, or Chelsea the first time round when he left after a 0-0 draw.

Do go on and win major trophies with Preston North End and Everton, at a time when oil magnates from around the world come seeping cash into your rivals' mouth.

a) I didn't say anyone, try reading the rest of my post.

b) Any sane observer could see the terrible shortcomings we had lingering in our side last season, but it is no surprise the short-sighted, trophy-craving fans calling for Moyes' demise have already forgotten the on-going central midfield and general squad depth issues we had last season.

Do carry on quoting bits of my posts and labelling them nonsense out of their context. Look, I'm about to do the same with yours:
Did you get one of those pm's welcoming you up and if so who sent it just so I can personally thank Cina for your promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.