United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does anyone think it's weird that we denied meeting with him but didn't follow that with some sort of sentence on Moyes being the manager for the foreseeable future or something like that? Am I just clutching at straws here?
The stance has definitely changed from both. Surprised nothing more was made of it, but after the Bayern game, when Shreeves asked Moyes if us being knocked out of the champions league might cost him his job, he said "It's not my decision, my job is to worry about the team right now and rebuilding for the future" or something along those lines. Definitely a huge change from the usual I've got full backing, and it might be because he won't get into the champions league.

Blackwidow

The guy sounds like an asshole in fairness.
Actually there is a lot ex-players of him that love him especially the ones that really work hard and have discipline. From all the stations he was at. He will not tell a star player how great he is if he has played bad... - it might happen that he gets a throbbing in front of the team instead - but if you can take that and do have enough self critics you might like that more than somebody that is only praising the players. He is a coach who tells what he thinks - not a diplomate.

And he developed special young ones in all of his clubs - players that not everybody would have thought of. Yes, Xavi and Iniesta probably would have done it some time later if he would not have promoted them and given them playtime, but a Puyol with his will to win probably would not. A Klinsmann wanted to sell Müller and Badstuber - Kroos did not get any playtime and was loaned mid season - Hummels already loaned out to Dortmund in Hitzfeld's time... - van Gaal has the guts to go for risks - and he has a nose for the young ones that pay it back.

Drummer

Because Klopp wouldn't be available. Not all about the money. And this short term fix is exactly what we need now and what we needed when Sir Alex retired. Van Gaal has experience with top teams and top players, wouldn't crumble under the pressure like Moyes or inexperienced managers, and would know what needs to be done to get us back to the top. He'd be here for 3 years or so which would be perfect timing until Klopp, Simeone and De boer are all ready to move on probably, and then we can get one of them in. Nobody was able to come in after Sir Alex and be the next long term manager. It just couldn't happen. The only solution was to get in an experienced winner to settle the ship, rebuild and have us still competing at the top and then have the next younger guy take over for long term. It was pretty obvious that it's what needed to be done, crazy to think that the board fecked up so badly in appointing Moyes and making the same mistake as we made after Sir Matt.
I would question the logic of this. Don't imagine any other leading clubs wouldnt aggressive pursue their preferred choice.

If klopp is our number one, why not go for him? Depending on the success or failure of Dortmund either party may not want him to join in 3 years.

Football is all about now, clearly highlighted by the instant gratification culture highlighted in these forums.

I don't see van gaal as anything other then settling for mediocrity. He is being linked with spurs, hardly inspiring. People might say he has more success then DM but he doesn't represent anything other then a stopgap.

Personally I would prefer if the club is going to scrap their DM strategy, that they would spend millions overhauling the entire structure of the club. Have a structure that makes a mangers role purely to coach.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
It was always going to take some time for anyone to get accustomed to Man United post-Ferguson

David Moyes is currently in the process of doing just that, and if we change him we just become another club.

He has shown, by taking the lead twice against Bayern and in some league games, he has what it takes to grow into the MUFC coaching suit.

Let him live or let MUFC become another Liverpool or Chelsea.

bosnian_red

Actually there is a lot ex-players of him that love him especially the ones that really work hard and have discipline. From all the stations he was at. He will not tell a star player how great he is if he has played bad... - it might happen that he gets a throbbing in front of the team instead - but if you can take that and do have enough self critics you might like that more than somebody that is only praising the players. He is a coach who tells what he thinks - not a diplomate.

And he developed special young ones in all of his clubs - players that not everybody would have thought of. Yes, Xavi and Iniesta probably would have done it some time later if he would not have promoted them and given them playtime, but a Puyol with his will to win probably would not. A Klinsmann wanted to sell Müller and Badstuber - Kroos did not get any playtime and was loaned mid season - Hummels already loaned out to Dortmund in Hitzfeld's time... - van Gaal has the guts to go for risks - and he has a nose for the young ones that pay it back.
That's exactly what we need really. Bayern sacked him but from everything I've heard from Bayern fans, they seem to say that they wouldn't be where they are if he didn't lay the foundations for that team. Also on your first paragraph, definitely the type of manager United needs. What Fergie was like, somebody not afraid to tell the players like it is and won't give two shits about who somebody is.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I would question the logic of this. Don't imagine any other leading clubs wouldnt aggressive pursue their preferred choice.

If klopp is our number one, why not go for him? Depending on the success or failure of Dortmund either party may not want him to join in 3 years.

Football is all about now, clearly highlighted by the instant gratification culture highlighted in these forums.

I don't see van gaal as anything other then settling for mediocrity. He is being linked with spurs, hardly inspiring. People might say he has more success then DM but he doesn't represent anything other then a stopgap.

Personally I would prefer if the club is going to scrap their DM strategy, that they would spend millions overhauling the entire structure of the club. Have a structure that makes a mangers role purely to coach.
This is understatement in the extreme. Mediocrity doesn't win the champions league. Spurs didn't want David Moyes.

bosnian_red

Klopp could well be our number 1 choice but the thing is, he extended his contract recently which expired in 2016 to 2018 I think. Highly doubt he'll leave in the next 2-3 years. Which is why Van Gaal would be perfect. Klopp would have huge rebuilding to do, and it would take a while for us to adapt to such a contrasting style of play. Van Gaal would be perfect to bed in the squad for the next manager. He'd get us back in the champions league without a doubt, back competing for trophies, winning trophies, and playing great attacking football. That way Klopp could slide right in. There's no point going after Klopp if he doesn't want to leave Dortmund. Throwing money at him won't change that.

Also, Van Gaal isn't settling for mediocrity in any way. All Bayern fans always say they wouldn't be where they are now if they didn't have Van Gaal to lay the foundations for their side, and add in everything he's won at his previous clubs. He's a top manager, experienced, and would be perfect to rebuild us and steady the ship, and get us back to playing great attacking football.

Also the reason he's linked with Spurs is because he said he wants to finish his career in the premier league and win trophies there, so the only bigger clubs where he could go to this summer would be Spurs or United if we sack Moyes. He's been everywhere else and won trophies everywhere else pretty much.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just don't want him anywhere near the club. Winds me up a lot.
Good for you and sucks for us that you got your wish, enjoy the coming Chelsea domination... :(

It was always going to take some time for anyone to get accustomed to Man United post-Ferguson

David Moyes is currently in the process of doing just that, and if we change him we just become another club.

He has shown, by taking the lead twice against Bayern and in some league games, he has what it takes to grow into the MUFC coaching suit.

Great, let's go 27 years between winning titles so we can be different. :rolleyes:

Will Absolute

Does anyone think it's weird that we denied meeting with him but didn't follow that with some sort of sentence on Moyes being the manager for the foreseeable future or something like that? Am I just clutching at straws here?
I think you'll find a few bits of straw sticking to your fingers.

Mind you, if the club made a declaration of 'full confidence' in David Moyes at this stage, they'd have to check the mail for letter bombs. I know I'd be sending one.

Dominos

The theory in Holland is that Van Gaal wants to bring De Boer with him to whatever premier league club he ends up at.

A Van Gaal/De Boer team would be very exciting for United.
The Mirror ran a story in February (?) that we were looking at a Van Gaal/De Boer dream team to take over from Moyes.

Be one of the most unexpected scoops in a while if that came to fruition, it justifiably got dismissed as bollocks at the time.

bosnian_red

See this is the thought that bothers me. It's a load of bollocks saying shit like that. We've had 2 once in a lifetime managers in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The other 70 years or so were spent with managers lasting at most like 5-6 years, plenty of them leaving after a year and a half, or a year, or 2 years, because they didn't get success. Like every other club. Thinking we have some special tradition where we give managers time is a load of shit really. We've had one manager for the last 27 years because he was successful and there was never a reason to sack him. It's incredibly arrogant and self righteous thinking that we're better then everyone else because we don't sack managers. It's just stupid thinking.

Drummer

This is understatement in the extreme. Mediocrity doesn't win the champions league. Spurs didn't want David Moyes.
Spurs change their managers every season, hardly a club we should be aspiring to be compared with...

Kag

This stuff is mental. It's easy to sit on your high horse when your manager has been Sir Alex Ferguson. We are just like any other club; a greedy corporate monster that has trampled all over every smaller club in England for the best part of 30 years.

Moyes has demonstrated nothing that resembles a United manager. Evra scoring a screamer against Bayern in a game we defended for dear life? Fantastic.

Your entire argument seems to be based around some warped perception of what United should stand for, rather than grim reality of a man completely and utterly out of his depth. It's cult thinking.

On the field, I wish we were a lot more like Liverpool and Chelsea, I can tell you that.

Will Absolute

I like the sound of that.

But I'm so desperate now you could offer me the Eiffel Tower for scrap iron and I'd sign the cheque.

Moriarty

This stuff is mental. It's easy to sit on your high horse when your manager has been Sir Alex Ferguson. We are just like any other club; a greedy corporate monster that has trampled all over every smaller club in England for the best part of 30 years.

Moyes has demonstrated nothing that resembles a United manager. Evra scoring a screamer against Bayern in a game we defended for dear life? Fantastic.

Your entire argument seems to be based around some warped perception of what United should stand for, rather than grim reality of a man completely and utterly out of his depth. It's cult thinking.

On the field, I wish we were a lot more like Liverpool and Chelsea, I can tell you that.
On the field, I just wish we were more like Manchester United.

Drummer

See this is the thought that bothers me. It's a load of bollocks saying shit like that. We've had 2 once in a lifetime managers in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The other 70 years or so were spent with managers lasting at most like 5-6 years, plenty of them leaving after a year and a half, or a year, or 2 years, because they didn't get success. Like every other club. Thinking we have some special tradition where we give managers time is a load of shit really. We've had one manager for the last 27 years because he was successful and there was never a reason to sack him. It's incredibly arrogant and self righteous thinking that we're better then everyone else because we don't sack managers. It's just stupid thinking.
United has had most of its success with two managers in a time when these men controlled all aspects of the club and had extensive time to build squads..

Trying to recreate this success isn't crazy, it's actually very intelligent. If it works out we have another legacy where we may rule supreme again. If it fails we can be like everybody else and take sporadic success every few seasons and be happy being part of the pack.

jem

I agree with this. Of course people will point to United sticking with SAF during the early years, but it's incredibly risky to hope that it will turn out like that again. Great teams have cut their losses after a season (Bayern with Klinnsman, Real numerous times.) Do we not aspire to reach the level of those teams?

Cal?

CR7 fan
United has had most of its success with two managers in a time when these men controlled all aspects of the club and had extensive time to build squads..

Trying to recreate this success isn't crazy, it's actually very intelligent. If it works out we have another legacy where we may rule supreme again. If it fails we can be like everybody else and take sporadic success every few seasons and be happy being part of the pack.
It'd be a good idea to pick a more qualified manager to do that, wouldn't it?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I want moyes out, but I don't want van gaal. There's just something about him that I don't like but I can't pinpoint it. Can we please just get Klopp instead? Or even De Boer eho seems to be doing a great job with Ajax.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Spurs feck up with whoever's in charge
I realise that, they're Spurs after all, I just struggle to see who's aspiring to be like them. We're potentially after the same manager, who happens to have won the european cup and titles with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

This is beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.