United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
can we not just wait until a top manager is back on the market. we are teetering on the brink of the chelsea. say we bring in van gaal next season and he has no use for felli and mata. 70m down the drain. signs 3 players. he comes 5th next season after his first season in the prem. gets sacked. new manager has no use for 2 of his signings, don't fit his system. money wasted again. etc etc. Changing managers every year means changing visions. And getting into top 4 in this league is not as easy as signing a manager who won the CL in 94/95 and saying he's got the pedigree. I think the club would benefit from putting a top young manager in. I really don't like the idea of putting in a new manager who, recent evidence has shown, isn't really good enough to sustain success with Bayern or Barca ie. much much easier circumstances than man united right now. There's just no point putting in a stop gap manager for me
For what it's worth, I can't see anyone taking over united seeing a need for fellaini past being a squad player. And I can't see anyone not seeing the quality of mata, other then mourinho for whatever reason. And van gaal has never been one to waste loads of money in transfer windows. A bayern fan posted it a few pages back but basically he likes working with what he has and promoting youth, and he gave chances to kroos, badstuber, muller when others wanted them gone, he turned alaba into a fullback when he was a midfielder, turned schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder, and bayern are where they are now because of that.

Crashoutcassius

Try Moyes looking like a hungry manager, that would at least give you a start.
hungry manager is just something we say to describe someone who's young, has spent years at a club that financially don't have a hope in hell of winning trophies, and now has a chance at a club that can compete. A manager with time and potential

Name Changed

weso26
fair enough if you think so. never happened before but yeah i guess rio and vidic are old and the daily mail says it so must be happening this summer.

And what part of Moyes transfer record means you don't trust him to spend money? He's been the shrewdest spender in the league the last decade, on par with Wenger although without the same kind of lure to attract the calibre of player wenger brought in. Think Seamus Coleman was 60,000 pounds
He did spend 27m on Fellaini.

He got lucky with Coleman. Not too many of those transfers work out. And for the record he didn't play Coleman for a long time. He opted for Hibbert despite protestations from everyone who was watching Everton.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
For what it's worth, I can't see anyone taking over united seeing a need for fellaini past being a squad player. And I can't see anyone not seeing the quality of mata, other then mourinho for whatever reason. And van gaal has never been one to waste loads of money in transfer windows. A bayern fan posted it a few pages back but basically he likes working with what he has and promoting youth, and he gave chances to kroos, badstuber, muller when others wanted them gone, he turned alaba into a fullback when he was a midfielder, turned schweinsteiger from a winger into a midfielder, and bayern are where they are now because of that.
So in few words he can turn Fellaini into our Iniesta;)

Lance Uppercut

you were pointing out things that were wrong with my post. I could point out things that were wrong with your post and say 'berlin is not the capital of france' and when you say you didn't say it was I could say 'I didn't say you said it was?????'
Good luck with that.

Blasphemy

fair enough if you think so. never happened before but yeah i guess rio and vidic are old and the daily mail says it so must be happening this summer.
Vidic, Rio, Evra, Hernandez, Giggs, Anderson.

Decent chance of Zaha, Young, Valencia, Van Persie, Nani, Kagawa leaving too.

And what part of Moyes transfer record means you don't trust him to spend money? He's been the shrewdest spender in the league the last decade, on par with Wenger although without the same kind of lure to attract the calibre of player wenger brought in. Think Seamus Coleman was 60,000 pounds
Moyes has been awful whenever he's had money to spend. He's alright at scrounging in the bargain bins though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He did spend 27m on Fellaini.

He got lucky with Coleman. Not too many of those transfers work out. And for the record he didn't play Coleman for a long time. He opted for Hibbert despite protestations from everyone who was watching Everton.
He spent 15 million on him at Everton too. Most of his big money signings were wastes of money. He did pretty well mostly, but the big signings were generally wasted.

Name Changed

weso26
He spent 15 million on him at Everton too. Most of his big money signings were wastes of money. He did pretty well mostly, but the big signings were generally wasted.
I wouldn't trust Moyes with big money. No way. He has bought two players at United, one shite one and one great one. He can't integrate either. The only time Mata seems to do well is when Moyes is forced to play him in his position.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Moyes got lucky with Coleman?

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. The truth is that for for 10m, he has created an excellent back 5 for Everton. I know it's fashionable to criticise Moyes but let's not discredit his previous good work.

gasmanc

Banned
hungry manager is just something we say to describe someone who's young, has spent years at a club that financially don't have a hope in hell of winning trophies, and now has a chance at a club that can compete. A manager with time and potential
Being 50 of and spending years stagnating at a club and not pushing on to actually win a trophy does not equate to hungry, time he might have but potential ? Show me some proof this manager had the potential to succeed with an elite club and I'll show two or three counter arguments.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This story emanates from Holland. What are the chances it's planted by his agent?

ManUtd43vr

There was a report we'd met with him about a month back after the Liverpool debacle. These links have been around a while, they haven't just surfaced today.
Why do we assume this is our first meeting??? There has been talk for weeks that Van Gaal might be the new manager. I heard Spurs are trying desperately to tie him up because of the United speculation.
Van Gaal has been linked to us just like any other transfer target because of Moyes' bad season and Van Gaal's public declaration of wanting to come to the premier league. As far as I have read, there were no reports of us having met him. If we had indeed met him, there would have been atleast a flurry like these reports have caused. Can you please provide links for any obvious report that I have missed?

yeah this is why it didn't happen. just made up by the papers to get people with IQ below 40 to buy the paper
I am skeptical of the reports. Someone knowledgeable about the dutch newsapers has said on the first page of this thread that this newspaper is no dutch sun or the mirror. The report might be correct. But I am tending towards the skeptical side because of the reaspns I mentioned.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Being 50 of and spending years stagnating at a club and not pushing on to actually win a trophy does not equate to hungry, time he might have but potential ? Show me some proof this manager had the potential to succeed with an elite club and I'll show two or three counter arguments.
He's not talking about Moyes.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Look at his CV..theres a lot of conflict and half done jobs there and not that many honours.
I concur. I'm not a fan of this potential appointment. His attitude is not right, he's old. Has managed two good seasons since '96.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Please, please, please be true, Van Gaal coaching our players such as RvP, Kagawa and Mata and our youngsters such as Januzaj sounds like a dream compared to what we have now.
Get it wide, get it in, 82x Moyes shouldn't be allowed near the training pitch with real talent.

Lance Uppercut

Perhaps I am being naive here, but what does he gain from having this story planted? It has been reported that he already has a deal in place with Spurs. It seems doubtful that he is trying to flush them out. He has already stated he wants to manage in the PL. Who else is there?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Please, please, please be true, Van Gaal coaching our players such as RvP, Kagawa and Mata and our youngsters such as Januzaj sounds like a dream compared to what we have now.
Lets hope without similar quote in a few years from Adnan.

"I haven't had fun on the pitch once under van Gaal. I had had more than enough of it."

bobbyf

can we not just wait until a top manager is back on the market. we are teetering on the brink of the chelsea. say we bring in van gaal next season and he has no use for felli and mata. 70m down the drain. signs 3 players. he comes 5th next season after his first season in the prem. gets sacked. new manager has no use for 2 of his signings, don't fit his system. money wasted again. etc etc. Changing managers every year means changing visions. And getting into top 4 in this league is not as easy as signing a manager who won the CL in 94/95 and saying he's got the pedigree. I think the club would benefit from putting a top young manager in. I really don't like the idea of putting in a new manager who, recent evidence has shown, isn't really good enough to sustain success with Bayern or Barca ie. much much easier circumstances than man united right now. There's just no point putting in a stop gap manager for me
Cos more than likely top managers will be available in the summer, and if Moyes is given till Xmas as some have suggested, it might be more difficult to get a replacement then. Plus we could be in the same position next season, being way off the top 4 again next season.

It's always gonna be a risk getting someone new in, but the players obviously do not respect Moyes and we need someone of quality to take over. Then they have no excuses and our squad deficiences will be properly addressed. And hopefully this time there would be a proper selection process, not SAF just telling them they have the job without doing this.

Also, we cannot expect to get a new Sir Alex out of thin air. People keep saying we are not like other clubs chopping and changing managers etc, but in reality, we would be like them if he hadn't been around for so long. And will probably be like them until the right person comes along. Unfortunately, we have to accept this.

Bebe

Get it wide, get it in, 82x Moyes shouldn't be allowed near the training pitch with real talent.
Ooh just imagine it. Brilliant attacking talent coached by a manager who knows what to do with it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Perhaps I am being naive here, but what does he gain from having this story planted? It has been reported that he already has a deal in place with Spurs. It seems doubtful that he is trying to flush them out. He has already stated he wants to manage in the PL. Who else is there?
There are always rumours that players are known to plant similar stories for, of course, what else, more money. Not hard to believe that managers might be inclined to do the same.

More, Mr. Levy. I want more.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hopefully he's Spurs bound, and this is just a get me quick, pay me well story planted by his agent.

Lance Uppercut

There are always rumours that players are known to plant similar stories for, of course, what else, more money. Not hard to believe that managers might be inclined to do the same.

More, Mr. Levy. I want more.
It's possible, I suppose. If it is true, they don't know Levy.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Surely if it was a plant meant entirely for Levy they'd do better planting it in the English press rather than a Dutch one? or am I crazy.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hopefully he's Spurs bound, and this is just a get me quick, pay me well story planted by his agent.
You'd rather keep Moyes? Or is this another optimistic 'we can get Klopp/Simeone, it's ok guys'?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Surely if it was a plant meant entirely for Levy they'd do better planting it in the English press rather than a Dutch one? or am I crazy.
Would be easier to plant it in Dutch media. And such news will always find its way into English mediasphere, no matter where it was first planted.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah fair enough. He won the CL 20 years ago. I just think given that his recent spells at big clubs ended in him being sacked with the clubs performing badly in easy leagues he's not good enough.
Agreed, he doesn't seem to have the right attitude either.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
See this is the thought that bothers me. It's a load of bollocks saying shit like that. We've had 2 once in a lifetime managers in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The other 70 years or so were spent with managers lasting at most like 5-6 years, plenty of them leaving after a year and a half, or a year, or 2 years, because they didn't get success. Like every other club. Thinking we have some special tradition where we give managers time is a load of shit really. We've had one manager for the last 27 years because he was successful and there was never a reason to sack him. It's incredibly arrogant and self righteous thinking that we're better then everyone else because we don't sack managers. It's just stupid thinking.
This is so well stated.

Another side effect of Ferguson's reign was the concentration of power in the manager position. I see a trend of decentralizing that power at larger clubs so a new manager can be plugged in without much fuss if necessary. I think we would do well to delegate responsibilities to talented, hungry, innovative people. It would help avoid the debacle of summer 2013 recurring as well, and other issues we've had with the changeover.

Moriarty

I need google being so middle aged :) can I ask was Wilfs tenure better or worse than Moyes in your opinion, I have spoken to many fans and read a few articles and am of the option I would rather have Wilf.
According to Wilf: "Matt Busby called me into his office and said: 'Wilf, I'm retiring and you are to be the next manager of Manchester United'. It was 'wow'. I was just delighted about it." Sound familiar?

Wilf was in a no-win situation. Never a star performer in his playing days, he was pushed in at the sharp end with a brief to manage players who had been his peers. There's no doubt Busby's team was on the slide even though they'd reached a European Cup semi-final the year before. Wilf was 30 or 31 when appointed. Took us to the League Cup semi which we lost to City and an FA Cup semi final 2nd replay when we lost to Leeds. Even though we had the Holy Trinity, we suffered some awful defeats including a 0-4 loss at Ipswich and a 4-0 drubbing at Maine Road ( a recurring theme for United managers). But I will say this, as hamstrung as he was by Busby's interfering and by certain senior players moaning behind his back, Wilf never compromised on playing the game as he had been taught by Busby and Murphy. He left Old Trafford a very dispirited man though time seems to have healed him somewhat.

What gets me is that the lessons of history were written large in the memory of the United board; especially Gill. Determined not to copy the mistakes of Busby, they laid down the requirements for Fergie's successor. Must be experienced in Europe and have a record of winning major trophies. Instead, they tore that up and did almost exactly what Busby did in 1969 and gave control of the team to a man who, though a decent enough manager, had found his level in the game and had never given any indication of moving above that. His brand of football isn't United's. The Harrods/Marks and Sparks analogy was, for me at least, very telling and prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.