United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I might remind those who're criticising his record, in each of his longer term spells at clubs, Ajax, Barca, Bayern and Alkmaar, he's won a league title with all of them, he wouldn't exactly be intimidated coming into Old Trafford either.

Mainoldo

I might remind those who're criticising his record, in each of his longer term spells at clubs, Ajax, Barca, Bayern and Alkmaar, he's won a league title with all of them, he wouldn't exactly be intimidated coming into Old Trafford either.
He'd probably win the title here too as we still have the second best squad in the league and............................................ £200m.

SirFergie

FFS "Got lucky with Coleman" If people can't see how well Moyes did with Everton they're idiots
Agreed. Martinez is benefitting from Moyes work now, he left a good squad there of which there is no doubt. However, what's up for debate here most definitely is whether he's good enough for the elite level which we are, and I'm sorry to say I don't think he is.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Agreed. Martinez is benefitting from Moyes work now, he left a good squad there of which there is no doubt. However, what's up for debate here most definitely is whether he's good enough for the elite level which we are, and I'm sorry to say I don't think he is.
Fair enough, that's definitely fair judging on the season we've had so far

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
United have denied the story.

I have it on *good authority Pep will be available after next season.

*Tea leaves

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm very likely making my judgement on the fact I don't like his mug.
:lol:
I think it's one of those who when he's with your club you'll love it, but everyone else will hate it. A bit like Mourinho's 'mind games'.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
According to Wilf: "Matt Busby called me into his office and said: 'Wilf, I'm retiring and you are to be the next manager of Manchester United'. It was 'wow'. I was just delighted about it." Sound familiar?

Wilf was in a no-win situation. Never a star performer in his playing days, he was pushed in at the sharp end with a brief to manage players who had been his peers. There's no doubt Busby's team was on the slide even though they'd reached a European Cup semi-final the year before. Wilf was 30 or 31 when appointed. Took us to the League Cup semi which we lost to City and an FA Cup semi final 2nd replay when we lost to Leeds. Even though we had the Holy Trinity, we suffered some awful defeats including a 0-4 loss at Ipswich and a 4-0 drubbing at Maine Road ( a recurring theme for United managers). But I will say this, as hamstrung as he was by Busby's interfering and by certain senior players moaning behind his back, Wilf never compromised on playing the game as he had been taught by Busby and Murphy. He left Old Trafford a very dispirited man though time seems to have healed him somewhat.

What gets me is that the lessons of history were written large in the memory of the United board; especially Gill. Determined not to copy the mistakes of Busby, they laid down the requirements for Fergie's successor. Must be experienced in Europe and have a record of winning major trophies. Instead, they tore that up and did almost exactly what Busby did in 1969 and gave control of the team to a man who, though a decent enough manager, had found his level in the game and had never given any indication of moving above that. His brand of football isn't United's. The Harrods/Marks and Sparks analogy was, for me at least, very telling and prescient.
Good lord, that's uncanny.

Crashoutcassius

I got 11 replies to just thinking that Van Gaal isn't good enough. Don't really have time to reply to them all sorry. I just don't think it's that outrageous an opinion. But we get to see, he will go to spurs and we can see if he can win titles with spurs or build great teams. IMO he'll finish 6th for a couple of years and be sacked after falling out with their biggest players

Crashoutcassius

Please, please, please be true, Van Gaal coaching our players such as RvP, Kagawa and Mata and our youngsters such as Januzaj sounds like a dream compared to what we have now.
Get it wide, get it in, 82x Moyes shouldn't be allowed near the training pitch with real talent.
This shouldn't be the criteria. We should be trying to appoint the best manager rather than cycling through second rate managers, wasting time and money

Leg-End

If it comes down to another season of Moyes or taking a chance on Van Gaal I'll take the Dutchman every single time.

Sensible contract and an eye on the "big managers" 2-3 years down the line.

Crashoutcassius

Cos more than likely top managers will be available in the summer
What suggests this? what do you actually know about it? please pass on the concrete evidence you're hiding?

People get on uniteds case for not getting klopp last summer, like if klopp was available would City not have got him? These managers are not perpetually available to uproot and move their familys to north england on a whim, even if united do have a nice history

Kakeru

So much has been going on since I left the thread. I'll try to catch up.

Can't believe some are saying sounding out other managers is disrespectful. Moyes can disrespect our club, our serial tophy winning players and our legendary manager by constantly moaning about the supposed lack of quality, but we shouldn't even consider if he is the right man? This whole respectful bulls*** has already cost us a whole season and a hell of money by appointing Moyes, now he is destroying us and we should still sit there and do nothing? We are a football club and a business, not a charity ffs! And Moyes is earning more than most of our players! Nothing disrespectful about sounding out candidates, happens all the time and we should have done it ages ago.
I've been crying about that a while ago. As an organization, United are not and should never be a charity. A number of people here still don't get it: a top football club has no morals whatsoever, only the will to do everything to win matters. United ain't different from the likes of Bayern, Barcelona and Real working their asses off to kill competition by various means. If the man's not cut for the job that demands achieving such goals, then he has to go; it's simple as that and I don't think anyone would ever say it's a bad decision to sack an incompetent employee no matter if he's English, Scottish, German, Indonesian or otherwise.

Better someone "very good" than someone clearly out of his depth. Van Gaal ticks most of the boxes - has managed big clubs, CL experience, track record for putting in place solid foundations and a very forceful personality who won't be intimidated by United. He would not be a long-term option and it would be a rough ride at times given his confrontational attitude but I think this is exactly the kind of short, sharp shock United need in terms of modernising the playing style and introducing a dose of reality to supporters' expectations (by which I mean we won't find another Fergie and we need to get used to more frequent managerial turnover).
This by 1,000 times. What people must remember is that Fergie put our attacking mantra in the storage room some time ago and that we need to find it back to restore what the club should be all about: an attacking-minded team that aims to entertain even if we don't win all the time.

Since Fergie retired, only 2 names remain as managers/coaches en enjoyed both a share success and genuine longevity: Arsene Wenger and Gregg Popovich. That tells everyone how this kind of sports authority figure is a dying breed. As much as some people want to see another Fergie, it's impossible to find another one simply because mentalities (about success, globalization, need to perform at the highest level to survive, etc.) have changed so much over the last 20 years than it ever did for the rest of the 20th Century. It would be foolish not to consider all those parameters in the decision-making process.

According to Wilf: "Matt Busby called me into his office and said: 'Wilf, I'm retiring and you are to be the next manager of Manchester United'. It was 'wow'. I was just delighted about it." Sound familiar?
Yikes! It's very very uncanny to say the least. Then some people ask us why history is made of repeating patterns when they never read about it in the first place.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I got 11 replies to just thinking that Van Gaal isn't good enough. Don't really have time to reply to them all sorry. I just don't think it's that outrageous an opinion. But we get to see, he will go to spurs and we can see if he can win titles with spurs or build great teams. IMO he'll finish 6th for a couple of years and be sacked after falling out with their biggest players
He will do a better job than Moyes has done here. He has the experience of not just being in the game longer but also the experience of winning things.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
People get on uniteds case for not getting klopp last summer, like if klopp was available would City not have got him?
Maybe, maybe not. We're paying Moyes over £1.5m a year more than Pelligrini and have provided more funds so in terms of money we're competing for sure.

soapythecat

Would Van Gaal take a short contract? No. Will he accept clauses for failure to get CL football? No. Will he be more expensive and difficult to get rid of than Moyes? Probably yes. Is he guaranteed to do better than Moyes in a very tough PL? Prob not.
I can't for the life of me think the club are meeting with him or even thinking about getting rid of Moyes.
I don't think he is right for United and I'm still confident Moyes can pull this round, if supported well in the market.

Kakeru

Let him live or let MUFC become another Liverpool or Chelsea.
Are you that narrow-minded to look only at English teams? What about changing that into "let MUFC become another Bayern Munich" in the sense that financial and footballing success can be both achieved with several managers, a number of them being foreigners?

You are in serious need of taking history lessons and learning why a self-righteous attitude like yours killed other giant clubs before.

See this is the thought that bothers me. It's a load of bollocks saying shit like that. We've had 2 once in a lifetime managers in Sir Matt and Sir Alex. The other 70 years or so were spent with managers lasting at most like 5-6 years, plenty of them leaving after a year and a half, or a year, or 2 years, because they didn't get success. Like every other club. Thinking we have some special tradition where we give managers time is a load of shit really. We've had one manager for the last 27 years because he was successful and there was never a reason to sack him. It's incredibly arrogant and self righteous thinking that we're better then everyone else because we don't sack managers. It's just stupid thinking.
This. If it wasn't for 2 exceptional people, Manchester United wouldn't be the giant club it has become today. At the same time, that self-righteousness is what has killed other giant clubs in the past and it took them years to recover by the time they woke up.

If some people think that we have any kind of special tradition that makes us better than others, they are absolutely wrong because this is nothing more than disconnecting from reality. Busby and Ferguson earned their longevity through success of their own, not the other way around.

That's exactly what we need really. Bayern sacked him but from everything I've heard from Bayern fans, they seem to say that they wouldn't be where they are if he didn't lay the foundations for that team. Also on your first paragraph, definitely the type of manager United needs. What Fergie was like, somebody not afraid to tell the players like it is and won't give two shits about who somebody is.
I heard the same thing from them too. United are in an identity crisis at the moment regarding the kind of football team we want to have, mainly because Moyes came in with principles going mostly against what his predecessors built before him. If Van Gaal can restore that identity of ours and leave behind a fully functional success-breeding system matching the club's values of attacking football and trust in youth, even if that's only for a short spell, then it would be mission accomplished for him.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
This shouldn't be the criteria. We should be trying to appoint the best manager rather than cycling through second rate managers, wasting time and money
Van Gaal is not a second rate manager, he is the best available manager in the summer and imo up there with the Top 5,6 six guys we could think about, but none of the others is available. We are wasting time and money with Moyes, because he never showed in his long PL career that he is quality enough for the United job. We missed a opportunity last year with Guardiola, Ancelotti or Mourinho going to new clubs, we would finally take a opportunity if we decide to get vG and not waiting till he will settle with Tottenham. The same "meh not good enough, we only need the best" thing is exactly the reason why our midfield is totally crap. Guys like Vidal, Gündogan, Rakitic not fancy enough or too unproven, not PL proven or any other excuse and now we are playing with old Carrick, unfit Fletcher, Cleverley and the Belgian bush of hair and dreaming about signing those guys for 40 million+ or signing Pogba, which we sold for peanuts, for a ridiculous amount of money.
van Gaal is imo exactly what we need, after Fergies retirement a coach like him was needed to improve our tactics and modernize our playstyle. A strong person who kick the players in their asses, get rid of some deadwood and give us a identity on the pitch again and to go on after Fergie, his time is over, we should start a new era and stop trying to turn Moyes into Fergie 2.0 or dreaming about a unlikely repeat of history. A van Gaal appointment would be surprising for me, but in a good way, that would be finally a football/tactical decision and not another sentimental "United way of thinking, because we are different" approach.

I don't have any doubts about his behavior, I think some people don't realise, how Fergie was hated outside United. He was not a saint either, but he was our "bastard" :lol:
Like most of Mourinho's teams love him and we will be fine with van Gaal doing and saying stupid things to back our club.

kotha

Would Van Gaal take a short contract? No. Will he accept clauses for failure to get CL football? No. Will he be more expensive and difficult to get rid of than Moyes? Probably yes. Is he guaranteed to do better than Moyes in a very tough PL? Prob not.
I can't for the life of me think the club are meeting with him or even thinking about getting rid of Moyes.
I don't think he is right for United and I'm still confident Moyes can pull this round, if supported well in the market.
Why do you think he would not take a short contract or clauses about champions league? Is there any precedent to this set by him? If we decide to hire him,it would be safe to assume he will have the same clauses that Moyes has in his contract..

While I agree that the story about about meeting him is mostly false and the club might not get rid of Moyes..

Ace of Spades

Van Gaal may or may not be right for united, but neither is Moyes.

Also, your first sentence is completely filled with baseless assumption, so that is not much of a solid argument for not going for Van Gaal. You can say the one thing that goes against him is that he often has a falling out with the board, but even that is assuming the same happens here. Apart from that, he is the best available option.

soapythecat

Why do you think he would not take a short contract or clauses about champions league? Is there any precedent to this set by him? If we decide to hire him,it would be safe to assume he will have the same clauses that Moyes has in his contract..

While I agree that the story about about meeting him is mostly false and the club might not get rid of Moyes..
My thoughts based purely on the fact he is courted by at least one other club (Spurs). Moyes wasn't, so negotiations would have been easier.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Were you in the negotiating room the other day or something?

bobbyf

What suggests this? what do you actually know about it? please pass on the concrete evidence you're hiding?

People get on uniteds case for not getting klopp last summer, like if klopp was available would City not have got him? These managers are not perpetually available to uproot and move their familys to north england on a whim, even if united do have a nice history
Mourinho, Moyes, Pelligirini, Martinez, Benitez, they were all appointed to new jobs last summer cos thats when it usually happens, before a new season starts. So lots of managers would be available or looking for the next challenge either when a season ends or just before. And Pelligrini was happy to uproot and move to the North West of England cos of the job he was offered. Why wouldn't managers do this? It's their job and they could be working anywhere in Europe.

soapythecat

Van Gaal may or may not be right for united, but neither is Moyes.

Also, your first sentence is completely filled with baseless assumption, so that is not much of a solid argument for not going for Van Gaal. You can say the one thing that goes against him is that he often has a falling out with the board, but even that is assuming the same happens here. Apart from that, he is the best available option.
Of course it's all assumptions, as much as anyone who posts on here about this topic you numpty.
No one has a clue what he or the club are doing.

Tibs

Can we not give Big Sam a go? He can't do worse than Moyes

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
He already said he will end his career, if there is no PL job available, so why do you think he wants a long term contract? I don't think he will be more than a 2-4 seasons candidate and that will be fine. And for me it's not a question if he will be better than Moyes, he proved already that he can manage big clubs, that he can win titles, that his teams can play good football, he has experience in managing stars, that's a different level to David Moyes. Even if you don't rate van Gaal as absolute top tier manager, he is still a good manager and need to be mentioned on a top coaches list, you can't say that about Moyes.

Rory 7

You know i'm beginning to think there is some truth to this story.
A while back i read a piece about how the Glazers viewed SAF's retirement as an opportunity to 'get control of their club'.
Sacking Moyes after this season's mess and appointing the likes of Van Gaal would do exactly that.
There is something about this story that just feels like what the Glazers would do.
They have to be very very unhappy with this year and, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if SAF is unhappy with Moyes too.

Rory 7

The other reason I think there is something in this story is the Glazers would definitely be interested in appointing a manager that isn't looking for a blank cheque in the transfer market. I've said all along, this mystical 'war chest' they have set aside for Moyes is a complete fairy tale.

MoskvaRed

My thoughts based purely on the fact he is courted by at least one other club (Spurs). Moyes wasn't, so negotiations would have been easier.
Despite Moyes's efforts over the last 9 months, United are still a much bigger draw than Spurs so I don't see Van Gaal getting too much negotiating leverage with United out of Spurs' interest (although he could get leverage with Spurs by threatening to go to United).

As for whether he is "guaranteed to do better" than Moyes, there is certainly a much higher degree of probability based on their respective track records.

Ace of Spades

Of course it's all assumptions, as much as anyone who posts on here about this topic you numpty.
No one has a clue what he or the club are doing.
The problem with your post was that you were trying to use those baseless assumptions to put as reasons why he would not be a good candidate for the club. The other people giving the positive things he brings with him are based on facts, not baseless assumptions.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The other reason I think there is something in this story is the Glazers would definitely be interested in appointing a manager that isn't looking for a blank cheque in the transfer market. I've said all along, this mystical 'war chest' they have set aside for Moyes is a complete fairy tale.
You're probably right especially since VG isnt the type of spending shit loads of money.

On the other would you trust someone who took the champions, spent 67m and brought them to 7th place with a 200m cheque? I wouldnt

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Van Gaal a second rate manager. :lol: if he's second rate, I don't know what Moyes is classed as.

devilish

He's old enough to know that in football short term contracts are normal. He would accept clauses because he probably believes in his abilities.

Rory 7

You're probably right especially since VG isnt the type of spending shit loads of money.

On the other would you trust someone who took the champions, spent 67m and brought them to 7th place with a 200m cheque? I wouldnt
No, you couldn't give the man that kind of money. To me, Moyes' excuses and his narrative about 'needing to invest' will simply hasten his exit. The Glazers appointed Moyes because they thought they wouldn't have to spend. Now the man is making it plain that spending is the only way he can see to turn things around. I would not be one bit surprised if the Glazers are looking at Van Gaal as the kind of manager who can run the club successfully WITHOUT spending big.

devilish

No, you couldn't give the man that kind of money. To me, Moyes' excuses and his narrative about 'needing to invest' will simply hasten his exit. The Glazers appointed Moyes because they thought they wouldn't have to spend. Now the man is making it plain that spending is the only way he can see to turn things around. I would not be one bit surprised if the Glazers are looking at Van Gaal as the kind of manager who can run the club successfully WITHOUT spending big.
I agree.

For all we know, VG may spend little because he would want to 'assess' the squad first. If he's able to reach 4th place with the current squad the Glazers would be happy because at that time CL money will start flowing in again.

Rory 7

I agree.

For all we know, VG may spend little because he would want to 'assess' the squad first. If he's able to reach 4th place with the current squad the Glazers would be happy because at that time CL money will start flowing in again.
Got it in one. Top 4 is the name of the game for the yanks.

devilish

Got it in one. Top 4 is the name of the game for the yanks.
He will also have an alibi. VG will be off to the WC for much of the summer. At that point Woody may easily recycle last year excuse.

Rory 7

He will also have an alibi. VG will be off to the WC for much of the summer. At that point Woody may easily recycle last year excuse.
Yes indeed. We may be wrong, they may back Moyes. But I really wouldn't be surprised if the scenario we are describing plays out.

Crashoutcassius

Van Gaal a second rate manager. :lol: if he's second rate, I don't know what Moyes is classed as.
again the focus shouldn't be on moyes and our emotional opinions on how much better van gaal is. we should just look at his record from the last 10 years and decide if he's on par with the best managers in the world. I don't think so. Fair enough if you do. We'll see if you're right when he's managing spurs next season, I don't think he'll get them challenging like a top tier manager would

devilish

Yes indeed. We may be wrong, they may back Moyes. But I really wouldn't be surprised if the scenario we are describing plays out.
same.

If Moyes is shown the door, its more because he asked for shit loads of money rather then club not showing him patience. That's my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.