United linked with van Gaal in the meeja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

Mourinho, Moyes, Pelligirini, Martinez, Benitez, they were all appointed to new jobs last summer cos thats when it usually happens, before a new season starts. So lots of managers would be available or looking for the next challenge either when a season ends or just before. And Pelligrini was happy to uproot and move to the North West of England cos of the job he was offered. Why wouldn't managers do this? It's their job and they could be working anywhere in Europe.
I thought you were saying top managers are ready to move, not martinez/benetiz/moyes and pellegrini, who incidentally has also never won anything

Crashoutcassius

Maybe, maybe not. We're paying Moyes over £1.5m a year more than Pelligrini and have provided more funds so in terms of money we're competing for sure.
what does that have to do with klopp possibly wanting to stay at dortmund (point being we don't know, so no point bashing club saying we could have got klopp)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I thought you were saying top managers are ready to move, not martinez/benetiz/moyes and pellegrini, who incidentally has also never won anything
Moyes would probably sacrifice a family member to swap his honours list with that of Benitez

Crashoutcassius

He will do a better job than Moyes has done here. He has the experience of not just being in the game longer but also the experience of winning things.
even if he does a better job than moyes, if it isn't a good enough job it means he will just be sacked and more turmoil and wasted money on players that don't fit the next regime is a disaster for a club. Look at 25m soldad sitting on the bench at spurs, getting older every day. Imagine sherwood spent another 50m this summer and was sacked at christmas. not the way to run a club. If we really need to cut moyes and start again then we hould be trying to appoint someone who won't be in the same position as moyes be perceived to be. I'm saying that if Moyes isnt going to get us competing with billionaire clubs in a million years then neither is Van Gaal. So maybe it'll be an improvement as you say, but for how long? 1 year until Van Gaal is sacked? And then more money wasted? Better to just give Moyes a second season imo. No real harm is can do if you actually calm down and look at the evidence

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You want Benítez now Dev? feck off mate :)

Shocked the club denied talks with another manager, absolutely shocked :rolleyes:

Crashoutcassius

Moyes would probably sacrifice a family member to swap his honours list with that of Benitez
But is Benitez going to get us competing with insolvent billionaire clubs. This conversation simply is not about Moyes. I don't know why peple can't discuss Van Gaal or Benitez without panicking and saying Moyes

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
again the focus shouldn't be on moyes and our emotional opinions on how much better van gaal is. we should just look at his record from the last 10 years and decide if he's on par with the best managers in the world. I don't think so. Fair enough if you do. We'll see if you're right when he's managing spurs next season, I don't think he'll get them challenging like a top tier manager would

Well lets look at his career, his 4 clubs that hes managed longterm have all won league titles, his resume includes winning the champions league with an all conquering Ajax, multiple trophies and leagues at Barça, winning the dutch league again with AZ Alkmaar, going into an in-crisis Bayern, stabalizing them and assembling the foundation and buildingblocks for their current fortunes, as well as delivering them a league title before departing, and now managing the previous world cup runners up and his own nation Holland, all while endorsing positive attacking football as priority one and working to get the best of the squad inherited.

I've not mentioned Moyes once so far, I'll leave it for you to compare and contrast, we're not talking about sacking Moyes and replacing him with an also-ran are we?

Crashoutcassius

Well lets look at his career, his 4 clubs that hes managed longterm have all won league titles, his resume includes winning the champions league with an all conquering Ajax, multiple trophies and leagues at Barça, winning the dutch league again with AZ Alkmaar, going into a in crisis Bayern, and assembling the foundation and buildingblocks for their current fortunes, as well as delivering them a league title, and now managing the previous world cup runners up and his own nation Holland, all while endorsing positive attacking football as priority one and working to get the best of the squad inherited.

I've not mentioned Moyes once so far, I'll leave it for you to compare and contrast, we're not talking about sacking Moyes and replacing him with an also-ran are we?
I mean that's the best possible way to look at it. The way I put it (most negative way) is to say he won the CL 20 years ago, he falls out with his biggest players all the time, and his last to big jobs ended with Barca 15th at christmas and him being sacked and then the great Bayern team he built 4th in April and him being sacked. Having Bayern 4th in the german league is actually worse than having this United team 7th in the prem.

There's different ways to look at everything. He's had a long career and certainly has some good skills, like no question. But the man peaked 20 years ago. Like he won the league with Bayern and Barca big woop you know. Certainly takes a very good manager, but I just don't think he's a special manager at all. We should be gambling on someone who can be a special manager imo. We know what Van Gaal is, he's a known quantity, and if we think he's top 5-6 managers in the world, the board at Barca and Bayern certainly did not.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I mean that's the best possible way to look at it. The way I put it (most negative way) is to say he won the CL 20 years ago, he falls out with his biggest players all the time, and his last to big jobs ended with Barca 15th at christmas and him being sacked and then the great Bayern team he built 4th in April and him being sacked. Having Bayern 4th in the german league is actually worse than having this United team 7th in the prem.

There's different ways to look at everything. He's had a long career and certainly has some good skills, like no question. But the man peaked 20 years ago. Like he won the league with Bayern and Barca big woop you know. Certainly takes a very good manager, but I just don't think he's a special manager at all. We should be gambling on someone who can be a special manager imo. We know what Van Gaal is, he's a known quantity, and if we think he's top 5-6 managers in the world, the board at Barca and Bayern certainly did not.
Good post

Amir

I really wish we'd show a bit of vision, select someone who may not be the biggest name, or the most proven one, but has the right principals and ideas, the right style of football. Like David Dein did with Wenger and Liverpool did with their selection process bringing them to Rodgers.

Revan

Assumptionman
Please let this be true. Of course, it would be a shame if we don't make a phone call to Klopp and then Simeone, but Van Gaal is the best free manager at the moment.

Blasphemy

I really wish we'd show a bit of vision, select someone who may not be the biggest name, or the most proven one, but has the right principals and ideas, the right style of football. Like David Dein did with Wenger and Liverpool did with their selection process bringing them to Rodgers.
Pochettino or Martinez would be those guys I guess.

Empire

I could be wrong but I read one of the reasons he was sacked at Bayern was because they were worried he wouldn't even keep hold of fourth!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably the most cringe worth thread i have read on here.
How exactly is discussing a potential manager cringeworthy? That word actually meaning at all with the context of this thread... Or is just wanting a different manager to improve United cringe worthy in itself to you?

Conrad

I could be wrong but I read one of the reasons he was sacked at Bayern was because they were worried he wouldn't even keep hold of fourth!
Probably an exaggeration. From what I can tell he was sacked on the 10th of April after a draw away at Nuremberg the day before. With 29 of the 34 games played they were in 4th seven points ahead of Mainz. Would have taken a major collapse for them to finish 5th though 4th is pretty bad anyway.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Saying, oh anyone can go into Bayern or Barça and do well, winning championships, sure one thing is saying its easy, its another to actually go out and get it done, you talk as if they were easy tasks, but if it were the case it wouldn't account for coaches with decent repuations prior such as Klinsmann messing it up so badly.

What would you describe as a special manager? someone who wins the league every season? that constitues all of... Pep and Mourinho and Sir Alex for me, but they're gone and we're not getting them. So instead we speak then of finding the next special manager, well forgive me for saying it's easier said than done and would no doubt require us having to take another risk on an unproven candidate, but hang on, isn't that where we went wrong with Moyes? You could also argue the case Bayern took the risk on an unproven young candidate in Klinsmann who was also seen as a potential up and coming special manager who then went on to fail miserably whereby Bayern then turned to a tried and tested coach who rebuilt the team and had them back as champions soon after.

Sometimes experience is in order, a known quantiy, certainly when a pillar of strength for 26 years at your club is removed and your foundations are looking to be crumbling, it could be said there's a time and place to gamble on an unknown and this isn't one of them.
Then we look at the ideals this club stands for above all else, attacking football, blooding youngsters, being positive in approach, Van Gaal ticks all the boxes (Moyes ticks none) while offering concrete evidence from experience he is a man who can stabalize our club and re-energise our football while following the traditions, not to mention the honours hes racked up, it's still a no brainer for me.

Smores

I just dread another manager having to assess and get to grips with the team. I'd rather give Moyes another year knowing with the key positions fixed the minimum will be 4th anyway, if he only has us scraping fourth we'd have a better team for someone else to take over anyway

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
what does that have to do with klopp possibly wanting to stay at dortmund (point being we don't know, so no point bashing club saying we could have got klopp)
I was trying to point out if Klopp wanted to leave we could have competed for him. We are paying more for our manager than City are after all.

bosnian_red

even if he does a better job than moyes, if it isn't a good enough job it means he will just be sacked and more turmoil and wasted money on players that don't fit the next regime is a disaster for a club. Look at 25m soldad sitting on the bench at spurs, getting older every day. Imagine sherwood spent another 50m this summer and was sacked at christmas. not the way to run a club. If we really need to cut moyes and start again then we hould be trying to appoint someone who won't be in the same position as moyes be perceived to be. I'm saying that if Moyes isnt going to get us competing with billionaire clubs in a million years then neither is Van Gaal. So maybe it'll be an improvement as you say, but for how long? 1 year until Van Gaal is sacked? And then more money wasted? Better to just give Moyes a second season imo. No real harm is can do if you actually calm down and look at the evidence
I see where you're coming from and I understand that view, but the harm that can come if Moyes stays longer is even longer out of the champions league. 1 year out of it isn't too bad, as long as you get right back in it and show that it was just a blip. If we go 2 years without it then we'll seriously start losing out on money, signings, sponsorship deals and with our debt, that isn't a good thing at all. Van Gaal is a much better manager then Moyes. He'd get us playing good attacking football if nothing and would almost definitely get us into the champions league. An improvement on Moyes. What's better, to have 2-3 years with Van Gaal giving us a few Arsenal years until Klopp is ready to change clubs, or sticking with Moyes and potentially losing world class players, missing out on the champions league again, wasting money on people like Fellaini, etc. The risks you put can be attributed to any manager. The difference is that people like Van Gaal have shown they are a good at rebuilding clubs and don't waste money for the sake of it, and will still get results. Nothing is guaranteed, with any manager, not even Simeone or Klopp, but there's definitely a much better chance that Van Gaal would work out better for us, much better, than what Moyes has done this season.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I just dread another manager having to assess and get to grips with the team. I'd rather give Moyes another year knowing with the key positions fixed the minimum will be 4th anyway, if he only has us scraping fourth we'd have a better team for someone else to take over anyway
In theory, in reality its not the case, so far we're only invested in Moyes in principal, once we allow him to blow our transfer savings this summer we're tied to him in principal and monitary terms, saying even if we sack Moyes thereafter we'll have a stronger squad for the next manager also doesn't ring true, case in point Chelsea, ther new manager taking an immediate dislike to Mata, refusing to play Luis in optimal positions, leaving Ba to the wilderness, falling out with Lukaku etc, there's no forgone conclusion managers will favor the same players and could well want further funds again to remake the team in his own image.

bosnian_red

What makes people so sure that Moyes is going to get 4th with us next year? Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Chelsea will all strengthen, as will Everton. Obviously we'd be favourites to, but the way Moyes has had us play in every single big game it's not very likely. We've been crap every time we came up against a good team. Just because we'll likely spend some money doesn't mean that he'll get it right. Considering he wasted 27.5mil on somebody like Fellaini, especially after being his manager for so many years prior, I'd be incredibly hesitant on giving him more to spend. He's fecked up almost every big money purchase he's ever done. Mata is a world class player and an excellent signing of course, but was he needed? Fixing the midfield in January could have potentially had us fighting for a champions league spot instead of being in 7th. Obviously it's great to have him but it will be harder to get other top players now that we won't be in the champions league next year.

Crashoutcassius

FWIW I think Van Gaal would be a top appointment for Spurs if they have the patience to stick with him.
Saying, oh anyone can go into Bayern or Barça and do well, winning championships, sure one thing is saying its easy, its another to actually go out and get it done, you talk as if they were easy tasks, but if it were the case it wouldn't account for coaches with decent repuations prior such as Klinsmann messing it up so badly.

What would you describe as a special manager? someone who wins the league every season? that constitues all of... Pep and Mourinho and Sir Alex for me, but they're gone and we're not getting them. So instead we speak then of finding the next special manager, well forgive me for saying it's easier said than done and would no doubt require us having to take another risk on an unproven candidate, but hang on, isn't that where we went wrong with Moyes? You could also argue the case Bayern took the risk on an unproven young candidate in Klinsmann who was also seen as a potential up and coming special manager who then went on to fail miserably whereby Bayern then turned to a tried and tested coach who rebuilt the team and had them back as champions soon after.

Sometimes experience is in order, a known quantiy, certainly when a pillar of strength for 26 years at your club is removed and your foundations are looking to be crumbling, it could be said there's a time and place to gamble on an unknown and this isn't one of them.
Then we look at the ideals this club stands for above all else, attacking football, blooding youngsters, being positive in approach, Van Gaal ticks all the boxes (Moyes ticks none) while offering concrete evidence from experience he is a man who can stabalize our club and re-energise our football while following the traditions, not to mention the honours hes racked up, it's still a no brainer for me.
ye fair enough. i completely disagree and think we need a young hungry manager that has potential to be the best in the world to be able to beat billionaire clubs. but if you think van gaal can do it fair enough, moving on

Crashoutcassius

What makes people so sure that Moyes is going to get 4th with us next year?
what makes people so sure that van gaal would is a better question? I don't see it at all. I think if we replayed the season the way we are playing now we would make top four, just about, maybe take out a few of our injuries. What has cost us is dropping points to small teams, and we seem to be getting far more efficient as the season has rolled on at that. This season is strange as pool were poor to begin with and then unreal the season half of the season, while arsenal were amazing to begin with and have been so bad the second half of the season that we aren't a million miles off catching them. If either had of been more consistently good/poor it would have been an easier season to break in imo. But I do understand what you're saying, I just don't see any guarantees with Van Gaal either given how good the top four are, altho the football might be sexier

Smores

What makes people so sure that Moyes is going to get 4th with us next year? Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Chelsea will all strengthen, as will Everton. Obviously we'd be favourites to, but the way Moyes has had us play in every single big game it's not very likely. We've been crap every time we came up against a good team. Just because we'll likely spend some money doesn't mean that he'll get it right. Considering he wasted 27.5mil on somebody like Fellaini, especially after being his manager for so many years prior, I'd be incredibly hesitant on giving him more to spend. He's fecked up almost every big money purchase he's ever done. Mata is a world class player and an excellent signing of course, but was he needed? Fixing the midfield in January could have potentially had us fighting for a champions league spot instead of being in 7th. Obviously it's great to have him but it will be harder to get other top players now that we won't be in the champions league next year.
I'm 100% confident that Evra alone has cost us 6/9pts beyond acceptable mistakes this season. Ferdinand some, our midfield plenty. With Mata for the full season and our players shaking off the post-fergie affect there's no way the teams performances won't improve.

The fact other teams will improve gets rolled out every year but clearly they don't always improve

Revan

Assumptionman
pellegrini. I said 'has' which is singular, 'have' would have referred to them all
He has won multiple trophies on South America. On Europe though he wasn't that succesful for the trophies (only a Copa Intertoto and a League Cup). However, Villareal qualified a few times for UCL (reaching the semi) despite that he was in a comparable budget to Moyes.

bosnian_red

what makes people so sure that van gaal would is a better question? I don't see it at all. I think if we replayed the season the way we are playing now we would make top four, just about, maybe take out a few of our injuries. What has cost us is dropping points to small teams, and we seem to be getting far more efficient as the season has rolled on at that. This season is strange as pool were poor to begin with and then unreal the season half of the season, while arsenal were amazing to begin with and have been so bad the second half of the season that we aren't a million miles off catching them. If either had of been more consistently good/poor it would have been an easier season to break in imo. But I do understand what you're saying, I just don't see any guarantees with Van Gaal either given how good the top four are, altho the football might be sexier
Obviously there's never any guarantees, and that's why I said probably. I'd be pretty confident with Van Gaal in charge simply because he's managed big clubs before, not always successfully, but at other times he was, and our squad is generally good enough to challenge for the title IMO which is why I think he'd get us into the champions league. Playing great attacking football was the main thing for me last summer anyways, it wasn't just about the results. I think most people on here would have taken a few Arsenal seasons. Not winning any trophies but playing very good football and then once he strengthens the team more, fight for the title.

bobbyf

ye fair enough. i completely disagree and think we need a young hungry manager that has potential to be the best in the world to be able to beat billionaire clubs. but if you think van gaal can do it fair enough, moving on
By potential do you mean unproven at the highest level managing one of Europe's top clubs? It's riskier than getting someone who has won trophies. Moyes has failed cos the players have not responded to him or his methods, so it's hard to say if they would do the same if it was Pochettino, Rodgers, even Martinez. Possibly.

bosnian_red

I'm 100% confident that Evra alone has cost us 6/9pts beyond acceptable mistakes this season. Ferdinand some, our midfield plenty. With Mata for the full season and our players shaking off the post-fergie affect there's no way the teams performances won't improve.

The fact other teams will improve gets rolled out every year but clearly they don't always improve
It does, but you can't say that that City and Chelsea won't improve. They'll inevitably throw money at the problem and are shoe ins for the top 4 (like we used to be). Liverpool then will either continue playing the same way, strengthening the depth or just improve overall. They are still a young team and Suarez isn't going anywhere, neither are their other best players. The last spot will then be between United, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs like it seems to be this season (although probably tighter). We'd probably be favourites but the amount that Moyes is apparently going to change this summer might not go down too well. Huge squad makeovers never go down too well. It might be exciting for the fans in the summer, but you inevitably get disjointed performances while half the team is bedding into the squad. Ideally you keep the same lineup and improve 1 or 2 areas of your starting 11, and adding another 1 or 2 players to the squad. We'll be changing 2 midfielders hopefully, the left back, potentially a winger even though we don't need to and a center back maybe. It's just too much. But Moyes seems to have made his mind up already and is showing the door to plenty, and they'll need replacing. Will those mistakes not be there next year? A young center back partnership of Jones and Smalling has potential sure, but it's also got plenty of mistakes in it. Same with giving Luke Shaw a starting spot right away. I'd love for him to come, but there will be mistakes inevitably because he is still very young and the team will probably be disjointed because of all the changes.

Getsme

Players get injured in every team, players cost us points by indivual mistakes, some win us points by brilliance. Players have good form and bad, are high, then low on confidence, It happenes every season to every team, and every manager.
It's how the manager copes with these situations that determines how good he actually is

Mainoldo

It does, but you can't say that that City and Chelsea won't improve. They'll inevitably throw money at the problem and are shoe ins for the top 4 (like we used to be). Liverpool then will either continue playing the same way, strengthening the depth or just improve overall. They are still a young team and Suarez isn't going anywhere, neither are their other best players. The last spot will then be between United, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs like it seems to be this season (although probably tighter). We'd probably be favourites but the amount that Moyes is apparently going to change this summer might not go down too well. Huge squad makeovers never go down too well. It might be exciting for the fans in the summer, but you inevitably get disjointed performances while half the team is bedding into the squad. Ideally you keep the same lineup and improve 1 or 2 areas of your starting 11, and adding another 1 or 2 players to the squad. We'll be changing 2 midfielders hopefully, the left back, potentially a winger even though we don't need to and a center back maybe. It's just too much. But Moyes seems to have made his mind up already and is showing the door to plenty, and they'll need replacing. Will those mistakes not be there next year? A young center back partnership of Jones and Smalling has potential sure, but it's also got plenty of mistakes in it. Same with giving Luke Shaw a starting spot right away. I'd love for him to come, but there will be mistakes inevitably because he is still very young and the team will probably be disjointed because of all the changes.
We haven't improved arguable for 3 years and neither have the teams but City around us. So like someone else said... This theory always comes out but in the end most things stay the same. Next season i can only see Chelsea reaching a higher ceiling than this season.

bosnian_red

We haven't improved arguable for 3 years and neither have the teams but City around us. So like someone else said... This theory always comes out but in the end most things stay the same. Next season i can only see Chelsea reaching a higher ceiling than this season.
Yes and so Moyes has a very long way to go just to get back up there. We're currently 15 points behind Chelsea and 17 behind Liverpool. City are 13 ahead with 2 games in hand. Can Moyes get United to cut that gap next season? I'd be confident with pretty much anyone else in charge. Maybe even Moyes can cut it. I doubt he'll have us competing for the title though. He's just too negative minded for United.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The Mirror are now saying Van Gaal is eyeing the Arsenal job. Not the imaginative sort are they at the Mirror.

Crashoutcassius

Players get injured in every team, players cost us points by indivual mistakes, some win us points by brilliance. Players have good form and bad, are high, then low on confidence, It happenes every season to every team, and every manager.
It's how the manager copes with these situations that determines how good he actually is
ye but if you feel like it you can add up who has the worst injuries in any given season. united are up there this season. arsenal are up there plenty of seasons. it's our own making, although 'injury prone' is a wierd term that often kinda means nothing, we have players like RVP and are surprised when our best player from last season misses basically the entire season this season, to me that says maybe he wasn't the best signing in the world after all

Mainoldo

Yes and so Moyes has a very long way to go just to get back up there. We're currently 15 points behind Chelsea and 17 behind Liverpool. City are 13 ahead with 2 games in hand. Can Moyes get United to cut that gap next season? I'd be confident with pretty much anyone else in charge. Maybe even Moyes can cut it. I doubt he'll have us competing for the title though. He's just too negative minded for United.
Moyes can be questioned to if he can do it but in reality all them other teams you mentioned are 30points better off from our 11 point advantage last season. Wouldn't read much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.