United may have to pay 150 million Euros to Super League

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
When i said this a couple of days ago everyone pounced on me and said i was talking bs.

You don't sign contracts running into hundreds of pages and walk away the next day without consequences.
You do if everyone walks away. The contract is only valid if there is a desire uphold the contract. I mean, Perez could ask for it, but he's not obliged too, and I don't think he's dumb enough to.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
When i said this a couple of days ago everyone pounced on me and said i was talking bs.

You don't sign contracts running into hundreds of pages and walk away the next day without consequences.
Bigger font next time?
You do if everyone walks away. The contract is only valid if there is a desire uphold the contract. I mean, Perez could ask for it, but he's not obliged too, and I don't think he's dumb enough to.
Are you sure? :)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Thats why real madrid and barcelona aren't walking away. Even they know the superleague is dead in the waters but they want to get some money from this regardless. Now they may end up with nothing but that doesn't mean they won't try. If they weren't interesting in damages then they would have also issued a statement that they're withdrawing.

USREDEVIL

Lawyers are also there to insure there are consequences for breaching a contract that is legally binding.
Who said it's legally binding? Seems more like a half-executed contract to me. I'll give you an example. First i dont know the terms and all that so i'm just speculating. But say 4 people created a contract to open a deli. Everyone had to pitch in $25k because it would cost $100k. If 3 signed but the last one did not, you DO NOT HAVE A CONTRACT. You need to have a "meeting of the minds" as they say. In other words all parties have to show an affirmative conduct (usually signing) that they agree to the terms. Based on the media reports, they said that 9 teams have agreed to this proposal but 3 were still undecided.

prateik

Does anyone really think 10 clubs are paying 150m each to Perez?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Who said it's legally binding? Seems more like a half-executed contract to me.
If it wasn't legally binding then the statements wouldn't have said that they are in the process of withdrawing. You only start a process of withdrawing if there's something to withdraw from. If the contract isn't valid then legally speaking it doesn't exist and if it doesn't exist there's nothing to withdraw from.

LondonRed

Thats why real madrid and barcelona aren't walking away. Even they know the superleague is dead in the waters but they want to get some money from this regardless. Now they may end up with nothing but that doesn't mean they won't try. If they weren't interesting in damages then they would have also issued a statement that they're withdrawing.
Also a big difference between an executed contract and a LOI. There is 0 chance this ends up with all clubs that left paying 150m each. Otherwise, as you rightly said, by the end it’s incredibly worthwhile to stay in.

FatTails

That would be hilarious. 8 clubs withdrew, that’s 1.2 billion. 300m each for the 4 remaining clubs.

It would put AC Milan and Juventus in a good position for the next few years, and would keep Real and Barca solvent for a few more months.

USREDEVIL

If it wasn't legally binding then the statements wouldn't have said that they are in the process of withdrawing. You only start a process of withdrawing if there's something to withdraw from. If the contract isn't valid then legally speaking it doesn't exist and if it doesn't exist there's nothing to withdraw from.
You make a good point. Not sure why that term was used. Maybe they are using that word in a general sense or maybe they did some side work to enter which they now have to undo. But what's more likely? Walking away from an enforceable contract where the penalties are $150 million? Or ditching the proposed agreement and making a general albeit somewhat misleading statement?

Here's what i found: "Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League," Sounds like they did some development plans which they are now having to undo. Not necessarily legal action type of withdrawal. Also in reality you don't "withdraw" from a binding contract. You either perform under it or you breach it. Period.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That would be hilarious. 8 clubs withdrew, that’s 1.2 billion. 300m each for the 4 remaining clubs.

It would put AC Milan and Juventus in a good position for the next few years, and would keep Real and Barca solvent for a few more months.
And get one up on those afluent PL clubs

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
How will this get enforced? Through whom?

I smell bullshit.
Through Courts. Although I bet this contract has an arbitration clause which means an arbitration tribunal will decide any claims made by any of the remaining clubs.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
You make a good point. Not sure why that term was used. Maybe they are using that word in a general sense or maybe they did some side work to enter which they now have to undo. But what's more likely? Walking away from an enforceable contract where the penalties are $150 million? Or ditching the proposed agreement and making a general albeit somewhat misleading statement?

Here's what i found: "Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League," Sounds like they did some development plans which they are now having to undo. Not necessarily legal action type of withdrawal. Also in reality you don't "withdraw" from a binding contract. You either perform under it or you breach it. Period.
Generally yes but parties to the contract can add a clause for withdrawing also under certain conditions. Apparently the contract is more than a hundred pages so it must have a shit load of clauses for nearly every contingency.

USREDEVIL

Generally yes but parties to the contract can add a clause for withdrawing also under certain conditions. Apparently the contract is more than a hundred pages so it must have a shit load of clauses for nearly every contingency.
That's also true. They could have done that. But my speculation is that they don't have a binding contract because not everyone signed yet.

Harold_Giles

That withdrawal fee was probably only put in so that teams would not be able to cash in the ca. 300 million founding member fee and withdraw from the league soon after.

Not a chance these teams will be paying anything close to 150m because of this u turn.
Hilarious if anyone thinks that, really.

arthurka

There isn't any authority behind this don't see how this would pan out. Perez on the other hand

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Through Courts. Although I bet this contract has an arbitration clause which means an arbitration tribunal will decide any claims made by any of the remaining clubs.
What would the penalty be if they tell the arbitration court to feck off?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Being in the process of withdrawal could also mean informing UEFA that they are not leaving anymore / want to return, etc.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
That's also true. They could have done that. But my speculation is that they don't have a binding contract because not everyone signed yet.
We'll get to know in the coming months. For all we know it could also have been an agreement to get into an contract sometime in the future. Were only speculating here because we don't have any documents to see what were the terms and conditions.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
They could get a ruling against them which would by enforceable by courts in the uk.
But, again, what if United refuses to pay?

Doesn’t seem like it would effect their day to day operations. It’s not like the average citizen refusing to pay a past due bill or credit card statement.

I can see this taking quite a while if it ever comes to pass, and I can also see the fined clubs mugging off the verdicts.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is obviously ridiculous. But I do wonder if Real and Barca (or whoever hasn't officially abandoned this circus) are yet to withdraw because they think they may still milk a few millions through some very far fetched contract clauses. I mean, they know the league is not happening.

Would be kind of hilarious to see them try to get compensation from the teams who've left. Wonder how that would play out in the press :lol:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
But, again, what if United refuses to pay?

Doesn’t seem like it would effect their day to day operations. It’s not like the average citizen refusing to pay a past due bill or credit card statement.

I can see this taking quite a while if it ever comes to pass, and I can also see the fined clubs mugging off the verdicts.
The UK Court will seize assets of manchester united and auction it off and pay the amount due to the other party.

Its like any other commercial dispute between two private companies.

Red_toad

That withdrawal fee was probably only put in so that teams would not be able to cash in the ca. 300 million founding member fee and withdraw from the league soon after.

Not a chance these teams will be paying anything close to 150m because of this u turn.
Hilarious if anyone thinks that, really.
That’s how I’d see it also, can’t pay a club hundreds of millions and not put in any guards against them just taking it and deciding they’re not going to do it after all.
Have to wonder when Real, Juve etc will get any action taken against them? As the threats have been made and they ain’t budging.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This is obviously ridiculous. But I do wonder if Real and Barca (or whoever hasn't officially abandoned this circus) are yet to withdraw because they think they may still milk a few millions through some very far fetched contract clauses. I mean, they know the league is not happening.

Would be kind of hilarious to see them try to get compensation from the teams who've left. Wonder how that would play out in the press :lol:
I would have liked us to stay in aswell. We've already dragged our reputation though the mud and the super league isn't happening anyways. There's nothing to lose and maybe something to gain.

300m payoff to us would guarantee haaland, sancho and mbappe. :drool:

RC89

The day we pulled out of ESL I joked to a friend that wouldn't it be funny if this was the plan of Perez?

Get clubs to sign up knowing full well English fans will backlash (and others possibly)
Massive fines for those who leave ~100m.
Monies to be distributed amongst remaining member clubs.
9 clubs leave.
Perez, Laporta, Agnelli visit the strip club with their new cash.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

We're Greece and Angela Merkel is Perez.

bondsname

Maybe this is all an elaborate plan by Perez to receive a large sum of cash; he predicted everyone would live thus the clubs involved have to pay up, Perez gets ahold of some of the cut and buys Mbappe and Haaland.

TsuWave

Yeah, Arsenal and Spurs would totally back away from the ESL knowing that they’d have to pay €150M, sure.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Or we haven't withdrew from the plans, just suspended it. Wording from all clubs statement was very careful and they left room for future involvement.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm sure this isn't made up out of thin air but I doubt any club will have to pay anything. There were too many question marks behind the league - it wasn't even finalized. They were twelve clubs instead of the necessary 20. Surely there's a clause for that, too, since nobody could be sure that Bayern, PSG and Dortmund would join the party or that they'd find 5 temporary members.

Also, where would the money go to? If a club withdraws, the fine would probably have gone to the "ESL entity" and if the withdrawal lead to the cancellation of the league, this would've been distributed among the founding members, surely? So if everybody withdraws it might even out more or less.

Tony247

Key here is Boris threatening with legislation. That could trigger force majeure clause in the contract. Every legal contract has that.

force majeure = unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.

No way any English club will pay the penalty. And the same reason why other 4 are still in ESL because there is no such reason for them to withdraw.

Suedesi

Parts of the contract that Manchester United and the other clubs signed to join the Super League has been leaked and published by Der Spiegel tonight.

If a club withdraw from the league earlier that 3 years into the contract, they have to

1. Pay back half of the money earned from Super League the preceding season - which obviously would be zero in this case
2. An additional fine of 150 m Euros
3. A certain part of the money the club received to join the league in the first place

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ED-revealing-clubs-pulling-face-130m-fee.html
https://www.spiegel.de/sport/super-...ertrag-a-baa19242-f1c3-4e39-b6a3-c1d2baedb5e2
Good! feck you Joel!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The way i see it. No way teams would pay 150m to real.

But LOI and contracts have legal power. That's why they were made. Some clauses are ambiguous and might open for interpretation and loopholes. But if you think you can just walk away from LOI and Contracts i want your lawyer's number.