United may have to pay 150 million Euros to Super League

Marcus

If Perez tries to enforce this, I wonder what the supporters of the other clubs would do. Madrid and Barca would never be able to safely set foot in England.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Whether they can sue or not - is speculation until we see the actual contract and as some have alluded to - depends on the recitals of the agreements as to who was meant to be party to it and whether there was any conditions precedent which were not satisfied before the agreement can be binding ie was there a condition that this only becomes binding after all 15 clubs have signed up or the Barca member vote etc.

Let’s just assume if there has been a breach of a binding contract - the next question is does anyone really want to go through the suing process? It would create bad commercial relations which could last years, the clubs who are having to pay for such breach may utilise their government or UEFA as leverage to ensure the club or entity seeking to sue suffers badly in other ways. For example UEFA could threaten Madrid with expulsion or a fine if it takes this to court - not sure how it could as not that clued up on UEFA regulations but just a hypothetical example of what is in prospect if these clubs decide to go all out warfare for these lost monies.

LARulz

Who does this get paid to? If they are all joint founders then surely not one gets it. Also what outlay has there been already? It was basically dead on arrival

I don't see any of the teams pulling out of something with that clause. There may be that cost if it had already started but not before it. We can say what we want about the owners but they are all smart people with armies of lawyers behind them, they wouldn't sign something that punished them this badly, and then do it anyway

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Maybe United can sue Perez for not getting the product they signed up for. Contracts have to have consideration on both parties. Clearly all clubs got (fecking deservedly too) was reputational damage and maybe more when the PL and UEFA are done.

This notion of a fine is a figment of imagination

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe this is why clubs from Spain still "staying". Waiting for money from others. But yeah, this is probably BS. I guess penalty ckause is there but i don't think that it is valid at these situation

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
How can you pay maoney to something that does not egsists? Only in Flo's head.

Does OP works for Dailly Fail of Sun? "United may have to pay 150..", sounds like it is only United, almost gave me heart attack.
( Not really, just a little "whaaat" scream early in the morning.)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
How can you pay maoney to something that does not egsists? Only in Flo's head.

Does OP works for Dailly Fail of Sun? "United may have to pay 150..", sounds like it is only United, almost gave me heart attack.
( Not really, just a little "whaaat" scream early in the morning.)
He needs money so he can buy Mbappe

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't believe DailyMail for 1 second for the fact that they are quoting Der Spiegel, who are very reputed in terms of leaking football information (they were the first to provide a massive leak into the Super League in the first place in 2018), makes me believe it. That being said, the link to the Der Spiegel article isn't opening so I'm not sure if they've taken it down.

I'm not believing this until I see a Der Spiegel article about it, anyone gaining access to it?

If this is true, it 100% validates the reports of UEFA quickly organizing a payout package with the English clubs, financed by Qatar. There is absolutely no way the English clubs would have backed out had they not gotten that package to pay for the cancellation fees (and maybe more future lost income).

dinostar77

The league was less than 74 hours old and it collapsed. They would have been a "ive changed my mind period" like with most transactions. Good luck to perez trying to get any club to pay him that money.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's no way that fine can be true. Else the clubs involved would have stuck to it (especially the Italian ones most of whom are penniless)

Deery

Dreary
Yeah can’t see this happen the league wasn’t even properly formed and collapsed within a couple of days, it would be a madness to pay out £1.5B to a dead league.

red4ever 79

Would be nice if there was a hefty fine in place to these scumbags, although I highly doubt it. A heavy fine and hurting their pockets may make them think twice in the future.

Didn’t a figure of 8m get touted in terms of costs to set up

It seemed it was confirmed by Arsenal in their recent fan Q&A, where it was said it was much less and the club wouldn’t pay but the owners instead.

Dve

There's no way that fine can be true. Else the clubs involved would have stuck to it (especially the Italian ones most of whom are penniless)
Formally, they have not left yet, but "are in the process of leaving". See the difference.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Meanwhile Perez keeps insisting that nobody can leave. Asked about what possible penalties there are, he says: I'm not going to explain what a binding contract is. They can't just leave because they are afraid of outside pressure.

Interview with AS

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't believe DailyMail for 1 second for the fact that they are quoting Der Spiegel, who are very reputed in terms of leaking football information (they were the first to provide a massive leak into the Super League in the first place in 2018), makes me believe it. That being said, the link to the Der Spiegel article isn't opening so I'm not sure if they've taken it down.

I'm not believing this until I see a Der Spiegel article about it, anyone gaining access to it?

If this is true, it 100% validates the reports of UEFA quickly organizing a payout package with the English clubs, financed by Qatar. There is absolutely no way the English clubs would have backed out had they not gotten that package to pay for the cancellation fees (and maybe more future lost income).
You believe the UEFA has that kind of money?

And somehow big plc team like united, can somehow accepts 200m off the table and dont have to report it?

Or somehow the UEFA managed to claw 1.5 billion from their piggybank without the whole world knowing it?

My man.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Meanwhile Perez keeps insisting that nobody can leave. Asked about what possible penalties there are, he says: I'm not going to explain what a binding contract is. They can't just leave because they are afraid of outside pressure.

Interview with AS
He's correct though. You cant simply not honoring your contract. It's one thing agreeing to this stupid scheme but when you sign it it's on.

Longshanks

I doubt it would come to a 150m fine, but you never no. And if it does than tough titties, you commit the crime you do the time.

I cant believe the owners and lawyers of these big clubs would be daft enough to sign up to something that would have an extortionate penalty to pull out of before it even truly existed. They must of been aware that there was a chance that the backlash would be extreme and that there was a possibility that it would never fly, surely they are not that stupid.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am sure there will be some sort of compensation from walking out from a contract or letter of intent, but I doubt it will be that much.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Zero chance that us Arse and Spurs would have pulled out that quickly if there was a £150 million penalty clause associated with leaving.

All those saying they hope it’s true, do they understand that it will be United saddled with this additional debt and not even a penny will be paid personally by the Glazers?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Reality is only the lawyers know the details of the contract, so is there any real point in trying to come to conclusions with this until it all comes to light?

My guess is that the Super League being formed was contingent on them being able to cherry pick 5 additional teams each season from their domestic leagues, so without the permission from the individual leagues themselves, the Super League would never have been able to fulfil their end of the contract.

It's Barca and Real running the show though, so I won't be surprised if they do try and pull a fast one.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Who would get the money?

JP Morgan have publicly withdrawn and repented for being greedy (obviously not sincere), so if they take the withdrawing clubs' money, they'll get even more flack.

There might be a breach of contract which would just be waved away by the bank and I don't see who else would be entitled to compensation.

Jotun

He's correct though. You cant simply not honoring your contract. It's one thing agreeing to this stupid scheme but when you sign it it's on.
True, he is correct. But he is evading a question. I have a binding contract with my internet provider. If I decide to walk out, penalties are clear. The fact that he doesn't want to say what penalties there are for this binding contract, tells me he is just posturing for the sake of Real Madrid fans.

"I don't have to explain what a binding contract is". True, you don't Mr Perez. But it would be nice if you could tell us that the penalties are for breaching it.

The league couldn't even get to 15 founder members and it's pretty evident it never will. I'm sure the british clubs will argue it was never even properly formed. Even at worse, the clubs could sit in there for 3 years and do nothing and then come out without penalties.

So far all we know is that clubs have announce their decision not take part in it. But I doubt anything was actually signed.

Reactions: Invictus

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I agree with this. Pérez says that talks have been ongoing for 3 years so a lot has been invested in this. A binding contract is exactly that however people want to look at it. It seems Bayern and PSG are the only sensible clubs in this fiasco. Didn't sign up for the SL but would of been invited anyway. As for the rest of the clubs they're going to have to eat humble pie from any sanctions thrown at them whether it be from the SL, PL or UEFA. My own personal opinion is this is a lot more serious that many people think.

MU655

Even if this clause exists, I doubt it will be enforceable at this time. Just because something is put into a contract doesn't mean it is enforceable by law, even if you sign it.

I remember when I had to do a law module in my degree. There were some cases where contracts, despite being signed, were not considered enforceable due to the very terms of the contract.

Had it gone any further and costs built up, then it probably will be. At the moment, the Super League isn't really anything and shouldn't have had any significant cost.

DoomSlayer

Yeah, it's much more likely that the remaining 3 clubs will be fined that amount of money by UEFA and FIFA. :lol:

Perez is such a scumbag, lowest of the low.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Even if this clause exists, I doubt it will be enforceable at this time. Just because something is put into a contract doesn't mean it is enforceable by law, even if you sign it.

I remember when I had to do a law module in my degree. There were some cases where contracts, despite being signed, were not considered enforceable due to the very terms of the contract.

Had it gone any further and costs built up, then it probably will be. At the moment, the Super League isn't really anything and shouldn't have had any significant cost.
Why not?

Cancelation fee.
Forfeit your down payment if you cant show up.
Etc

Hardly outrageous that clause, contract wise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Parts of the contract that Manchester United and the other clubs signed to join the Super League has been leaked and published by Der Spiegel tonight.

If a club withdraw from the league earlier that 3 years into the contract, they have to

1. Pay back half of the money earned from Super League the preceding season - which obviously would be zero in this case
2. An additional fine of 150 m Euros
3. A certain part of the money the club received to join the league in the first place

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ED-revealing-clubs-pulling-face-130m-fee.html
https://www.spiegel.de/sport/super-...ertrag-a-baa19242-f1c3-4e39-b6a3-c1d2baedb5e2
Only if the league had actually started

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
You believe the UEFA has that kind of money?

And somehow big plc team like united, can somehow accepts 200m off the table and dont have to report it?

Or somehow the UEFA managed to claw 1.5 billion from their piggybank without the whole world knowing it?

My man.
The money would come from an investment bank like how the ESL was being financed by JP Morgan, where does it ever say UEFA have paid them personally?

That being said, I'm still waiting for an official article from Der Spiegel, which I can't find.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The money would come from an investment bank like how the ESL was being financed by JP Morgan, where does it ever say UEFA have paid them personally?

That being said, I'm still waiting for an official article from Der Spiegel, which I can't find.
Wait... so you think investment bank would pay 200m to 8 clubs on UEFA behalf? Why would they paid 1.6bn of their own cash on behalf of uefa?

How are they gonna get their money back?