United - Soton | EFL Cup Final Build-up Thread

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Final will be played exactly a month from now. 26 February 16:30 GMT.

United will be wearing home kits.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Going to be tough. Southampton are sluggers. Hard to break down, but if I was a gambling man i would bet on us to see it through.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Fantastic. What are our thoughts on the impact in the league? Game against City will be changed to much later in the season in a congested fixture schedule (possibly being around the time of the Spurs and Arsenal away fixtures) and being one game behind the teams above us except for City obviously. Not ideal but suppose depending on how the others do we'd know whether to focus on the league or put our efforts into the Europa.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Tough game but I think we'll win, just.

Raw

Romeu and van Dijk will be difficult to play against. Hope Mou can make it 4/4 wins in League Cup finals.

Samid

RAWK will be supporting us.

Such a shame we fluffed our lines last night, would've enjoyed knobbing them at Wembley.
or the despicable always the victim, fecking outrageous that they can chant this bile without any fear of sanction fecking disgusting Manc baastards i fecking hate them.
They are subhuman scum. It will lead on SSN 10pm bulletin i'd say, not. Hate them, hate their club, their fans and their players.
Still singing filth about us even after all their success,seems like they have an inferiority complex.
This poor guy got slaughtered:

Even in Manchester United's shit season's they end up winning trophies. They won the FA Cup last season, in the final of the EFL cup now, still also in the Europa League and FA Cup with good chances of winning those cups as well.

Skills

Snitch
Don't League cup finalists typically have a bad end/second half of the season?

Raw

What are we looking at in terms of fixtures before and after this?
16th Feb - United v AS Saint-Étienne
22nd Feb - AS Saint-Étienne v United
26th Feb - United v Southampton (EFL Cup Final)
4th Mar - United v Bournemouth
12th Mar - Southampton v United

Hopefully we can win the EL tie in the first leg and prepare for the final.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Two teams who have struggled scoring goals. Two teams who at times this season have been very happy and at times very angry at what's going on.

Can see us winning on pens or something.

brian017

Inferiority complex sounds right. If we win we will have won as much as they have since 2006.
And in 9 months too :lol:. Compared to 11 years. Must be galling for them to see us so shit and still picking up the trophies

AXVnee7

As in the post match:

Saints vs Devils!

Expect that marketing in the build up

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Should be a good game, reckon Southampton will give you a good run for your money, they'll be up for it.
Although they'll have to play a lot differently to how they played against us.

2-1 United.
Narrow win.
Mourinhos first cup? :confused:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They haven't conceded yet in the tournament. Van Dijk will be a big loss for them, let's see what business they do over the next week.

Any Premiership team in a final will be a tough match. City lost V Wigan, we made hard work of Palace last year.

Have to get the job done, get Jose's first trophy under his belt here and let's build a proper winning mentality. Trophies help players buy in to things.

Irrational.

This is far from a foregone conclusion. Expect a tight, tense affair. Similar to the FA Cup final against Palace last season. In fact, wouldn't be surprised if this went to extra time.

Need all our big game players to turn up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Going to be a tough game, we'll do well to match Southamptons desire for this. You can't go on and downplay certain competitions always and then suddenly motivate yourself for it. So hopefully the players show the desire. Southampton deservedly beat liverpool twice, so they're well capable of causing upsets as they are a very decent side.
Saying all that, I'm still glad we are playing them and not Liverpool. Would've been awful having to play liverpool because if we lost, then it would probably just derail our season. Like this, eh, it's a loss, but not to our biggest rivals in a final.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
With Van Dijk out and Fonte away we should be able to get at that centre defence. Zlatan up against the inexperience Stephens should bring joy. Romeu is a beast in midfield and Redmond is their dangerman going forward but we should have too much

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Before this we have Hull (H), Leicester (A), Watford (H), Saint-Etienne (H/A). I know we're not playing fantastically well but neither are any of those teams, we should be looking for five wins (or at least three league wins and progression in the EL) to set us up for Wembley. We could really get our season going in the coming weeks, and despite a poor display earlier on I am confident we'll do just that.

Samid

Quite contrasting February for both teams.

United:
01.02 Hull (H)
05.02 Leicester (A)
11.02 Watford (H)
16.02 St Etienne (H)
19.02 FAC 5th round
22.02 St Etienne (A)
26.02 Soton (N)

Soton:
04.02 West Ham (H)
11.02 Sunderland (A)
26.02 United (N)

We desperately need a favourable draw tonight. Something shit like Sutton or Lincoln at home. We've been helped a bit by UEFA moving the second leg to Wednesday (because St Etienne and Lyon can't play at home on the same day) but ideally we put the tie to bed in the first leg.

Nothing against Soton, they deserve a breather after having a fecked up schedule but hopefully they turn up rusty on the 26th.

zeekey

United:
01.02 Hull (H)
05.02 Leicester (A)
11.02 Watford (H)
16.02 St Etienne (H)
19.02 FAC 5th round
22.02 St Etienne (A)
26.02 Soton (N)

Soton:
04.02 West Ham (H)
11.02 Sunderland (A)
26.02 United (N)

We desperately need a favourable draw tonight. Something shit like Sutton or Lincoln at home. We've been helped a bit by UEFA moving the second leg to Wednesday (because St Etienne and Lyon can't play at home on the same day) but ideally we put the tie to bed in the first leg.

Nothing against Soton, they deserve a breather after having a fecked up schedule but hopefully they turn up rusty on the 26th.
I thought we had City away, has that been moved then?

Trizy

United:
01.02 Hull (H)
05.02 Leicester (A)
11.02 Watford (H)
16.02 St Etienne (H)
19.02 FAC 5th round
22.02 St Etienne (A)
26.02 Soton (N)

Soton:
04.02 West Ham (H)
11.02 Sunderland (A)
26.02 United (N)

That's a bit unfair to say the least. They'll be well rested.

I'd like to win the Europa League too, might not be worth throwing out a weakened team against St.Etienne.

WhoDaGOAT

We have a massive squad. We'll be fine. Mourinho prefers it this way. If we're winning games, this won't be an issue.

France is a quick trip and we will hopefully have a good lead heading into the away leg.

Southampton will definitely be lacking match sharpness. Ibrahimović, Pogba, Rooney and Carrick are used to this kind of fixture congestion. Their experience will see us through the final. I'll be amazed if we lose a League Cup final under Mourinho. It's his tournament.

Redmond, van Dijk, Romeu and co are good players but won't be used to this kind of anticipation. They can make history, but I expect us to see them off in a tight game. They don't concede many.

Pavl3n

That's a bit unfair to say the least. They'll be well rested.

I'd like to win the Europa League too, might not be worth throwing out a weakened team against St.Etienne.
I think we'll go for a clean sheet win vs Saint Etienne. If FA cup is favorable would make it much easier for us. However, if we do our job 1st leg, we shouldn't have much to worry about resting players.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Not going to be enjoyable at all is it? :(

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I hope we come out quick. Take them by surprise.

Probs be the other way around though.