United - Soton | EFL Cup Final Build-up Thread

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Southampton are not in good form. They have lost two league games on the trot and are away at Sunderland next who will be elated after their last two games. So it could be a three game losing run.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's our record with Marriner this season? Glad it isn't the cnut Clattenburg for once.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What's our record with Marriner this season? Glad it isn't the cnut Clattenburg for once.
14/08: Bournemouth 1:3 Man Utd (PL) - 1 yellow (to us)
19/11: Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal (PL) - 6 yellows (3 to us)
07/01: Man Utd 4:0 Reading (FA Cup) - 1 yellow (to us)

Samid

14/08: Bournemouth 1:3 Man Utd (PL) - 1 yellow (to us)
19/11: Man Utd 1:1 Arsenal (PL) - 6 yellows (3 to us)
07/01: Man Utd 4:0 Reading (FA Cup) - 1 yellow (to us)
Oh it's the clown that didn't give anything for Monreal's rugby tackle on Valencia :mad:

MP1711

It's Zlatan against a Claude Puel team, easy win.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Wow , gone are the days when everyone sang even at a cup final ...... RIP football cup final atmosphere
Yeah it sounds like nonsense to me, I'll sing wherever... Just so happened those tickets were the lowest price bracket for the lower tier - didn't much fancy sitting top tier.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Quite contrasting February for both teams.

United:
01.02 Hull (H)
05.02 Leicester (A)
11.02 Watford (H)
16.02 St Etienne (H)
19.02 FAC 5th round
22.02 St Etienne (A)
26.02 Soton (N)

Soton:
04.02 West Ham (H)
11.02 Sunderland (A)
26.02 United (N)

We desperately need a favourable draw tonight. Something shit like Sutton or Lincoln at home. We've been helped a bit by UEFA moving the second leg to Wednesday (because St Etienne and Lyon can't play at home on the same day) but ideally we put the tie to bed in the first leg.

Nothing against Soton, they deserve a breather after having a fecked up schedule but hopefully they turn up rusty on the 26th.
Is that lack of games for Southampton likely to make them a bit rusty ?

Either way Ive been saying for a while now I'm confident we will win this trophy but that will probably be it for this season.

FujiVice

Wow , gone are the days when everyone sang even at a cup final ...... RIP football cup final atmosphere
Its Wembley you're lucky to get the corporate supporters back to their seats let alone an atmos.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Is that lack of games for Southampton likely to make them a bit rusty ?

Either way Ive been saying for a while now I'm confident we will win this trophy but that will probably be it for this season.
Given the fact that both times they had to cope with a very busy schedule (during the festive period and and the last three games) they looked awful, i pretty much doubt it. But then again, even if they had a schedule similar to ours, they would probably mark the date of the final and focus solely on that since they're not really hoping for anything more than a good midtable finish in the PL. We must beware that, during this bad period they're going through, the two games against Liverpool they really wanted to win in order to play in a final, they won them by playing good football and being tactically astute.

Treble_Winning

Should be a good game, reckon Southampton will give you a good run for your money, they'll be up for it.
Although they'll have to play a lot differently to how they played against us.

2-1 United.
Narrow win.
Mourinhos first cup? :confused:
Mourinho has already won the Community Shield. Although it is a nothing trophy, it is still a trophy.

So the League Cup would be his second trophy with us.

No disrespect to Southampton, they're a good side, but I would much rather have played Liverpool. It would have made for a much bigger spectacle, with the rivalry and all that, added to the occasion of a Wembley final. It would have been so much more satisfying to win the trophy by beating our most hated rivals and denying them a moment of glory en route to lifting the cup.

However, it is still nice to see small clubs doing well. They beat Liverpool home and away, so they deserve their place in the final. We will win this, and Zlatan will most probably score.

Samid

Imagine making your club debut in a cup final with 90k capacity crowd.

Samid

Just a week away now! Will be a full strength side but what is our best XI?

DDG
Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Blind
Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Mkhi - Martial
Zlatan​

Could easily make a case for players like Rojo, Jones, Carrick and Rash as well so a few players will be disappointed to miss out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

DDG
Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Mkhi - Martial
Zlatan​

Could easily make a case for players like Rojo, Jones, Carrick and Rash as well so a few players will be disappointed to miss out.
That's the XI we HAVE to play

Jaybomb

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Blind
Pogba Herrera
Mkhi Mata Martial
Ibra

Our strongest XI. Lets win it for Jose.

izec

We need to pay attention to some of their players, especially Redmond and Gabbiadini can be very dangerous. It will be a tight game

slir32

DDG
Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Mkhi - Martial
Zlatan​

I would swap Smalling for Rojo (Baily - Rojo).

Bwuk

Dave
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Blind
Herrera - Pogba
Mata - Mkhi - Martial
Zlatan​

3KDré

I am pessimistic and would prefer it if we played with a holding midfielder. I don't entirely trust the two man midfield of Pogba-Herrera.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fitness permitting, I'd want:

De Gea
Valencia Jones Rojo Blind
Herrera Pogba
Mkhi Mata Martial
Zlatan

Mourinho prefers Mata wide and Mkhi central though.

Giggsy92

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Smalling Rojo
Herrera Carrick Pogba
Mkhi Zlatan Martial

Bit wary of Carrick starting in a big game given he's been a bit rubbish since the turn of the year but Jose will probably want to start with a 4-3-3 and we don't really have any other options in there.

dannofdawn

Bailly and Rojo should be our CB I think, Smalling haven't been all too impressive this season. If Jones wasn't injured, I would play Jones and Rojo, they've been a solid pair for us so far. Bailly was also quite good before his injury and off to AFCON, not quite as good since he's back. Still I would rate him slightly higher than Smalling at the moment.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
They're really going to miss Van Dijk against Zlatan. Caceres is too small and was more suited to full back. Yoshida is just not good enough.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Anyone aware of the ticket situation? I know a few travelling over the night before the game and hoping to get tickets. I did hear Southampton sent back tickets though.