United squad frustrated with Mourinho over Matic

Josep Dowling

You're acting like there is no evidence to back up this story. its clear Lukaku, Matic and Fellaini get a lot less grief from Mou in pressers compared to Rashford/Pogba/Martial/Shaw. If any of the latter 4 have a bad game they are questioned on their abilities and commitment in public and dropped for a run of games. If the others have a bad game they start the next match and are never bad mouthed by Mou.
That is not evidence, that is assumptions you have made. I really doubt a player or member of staff in the know would tell anything to a journalist. What benefit would they get from that?

deafepl

Even if true, I can understand why Jose starts him considering he's our only true defensive mid as opposed to converted ones like Herrera and our defense certainly is weak. Though the irony is that many of our goals conceded are due to him only.

But we need to try something new. Let his decline be a lesson to the club. Unless a 30+ yr old has the stamina and physique of someone younger, like Ronaldo or Zlatan, or his game is truly refined and unique (D Silva, Iniesta), we shouldn't buy such players who will last just one season.
Wtf is that? :lol::lol:, if we are going by your logic, Matic was converted, he went from attacking midfielder to holding to DM.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That is not evidence, that is assumptions you have made. I really doubt a player or member of staff in the know would tell anything to a journalist. What benefit would they get from that?
It's quite clear going by his team sheets and press conferences. Shaw got hooked many times at half time for not attacking as much as Jose wanted, but Matic/Lukaku have put in much worse performances in recent times and never have a wiff of being subbed.

Devil may care

Regardless of the leak hunt and whatnot, it's easy to imagine several players and staff grumbling and it getting picked up by journos with decent sources, Matic has been crap all season and it must be very demoralizing to know that no matter how you play you wont get a start while Matic is around, even when he's dreadful.

GBBQ

No it literaly is evidence. I am not talking about whispers from the dressing room, I am saying that it is demonstrable that he treats certain players differently as @Adam-Utd has called out. Mourinho said Rashford was scared to play, saying about how everyone wanted "Martial, Martial Martial" to be played or this beauty about Shaw even when he had a good game:

He had a good performance but it was his body with my brain...He was in front of me and I was making every decision for him.
All 3 have been dropped to the bench indefinitely over the past couple of years.

Do you see the same approach to Matic, Lukaku or Fellaini when they have had bad games (and there have been some stinkers for all 3)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The article sounds like guess work, but the fact Matic has been bad enough for stories like this to carry potential credibility tells you something.

Articles like this get laughed at unless it's pretty much universally agreeable that the player consistently isn't performing well enough.

The thing I don't get with Matic is he was very poor for 18 months at Chelsea, and his performance level was gradually declining...I mean he was an absolute mile off performing at a high enough level by the time they sold him, and he wasn't that good last season. He was decent. So where is the basis to presume he is just going through a bad spell?

If anything the surprise is how he performed last season. This season is the return to the norm. I was really sceptical when we signed him because this season's level of performance is what I was used to seeing.

If it isn't causing problems with the players it soon will. I said it in another thread, but if you spend 90 minutes fighting for a result, and then we concede a goal like we did on sunday where Matic simply couldn't be bothered to move a couple of metres, it would infuriate you. It makes all of your effort a complete waste of time. You can't have players in your team who are going to do things like that. It's disrespectful to the efforts of everyone else and the efforts of everyone who can't get in the team.

Bestietom

Matic has not got the players in front of him to pass to most of the time. You cannot blame one player all the time. Yes he can be slow at times but Carrick was never fast either but always had someone who was willing to move in front of him to take a pass. It seems most of the time our players don't want the ball, and we have to pass backwards and sideways. We need more movement in the middle of the field, and up front.

BigRon1985

Mourinho is as stubborn with Matic as Van Gaal was with Rooney - blind loyalty with only one outcome!

Last edited:

pascell

He's simply a liability when tracking his player in the box and especially when they're arriving in the box unmarked. I have a feeling it's de Gea and the defenders who aren't too happy with Matic as he's not helping them at all with tracking markers when we're being countered.

doriandun

Matic is the only defensive midfielder in the squad, and he is still recovering from the world cup and the injury he picked up at the begining of the season, he needs a rest, ideally no football till after the Crystal Palace match.

Borden

No idea why some people in this thread seem to think this story is so outlandish. You've seen Matic play this season right? And you've seen how Mourinho persists with him no matter how badly he performs? If I was playing in this team I'd certainly be frustrated.

ToToMarshall

Kind of feel sorry for Matic to be honest.

After a long season where we probably overplayed and overworked him, and then a World Cup campaign with Serbia, he had quite serious surgery in the summer, so had no pre-season and was then rushed back in to our first XI and has barely had a break since bar the suspension. No wonder he’s been crap.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
i like how these stories appear when your start hearing them grow by the fans and everyone tries to repeat. Is it coincidence? What dressing room is this that players have the right to judge who plays and who doesnt?

What a great dressing room do be in then. Keep posting everywhere the same thing and just notice some news appearing.

OhGee

After a long season where we probably overplayed and overworked him, and then a World Cup campaign with Serbia, he had quite serious surgery in the summer, so had no pre-season and was then rushed back in to our first XI and has barely had a break since bar the suspension. No wonder he’s been crap.
I agree that he’s been overworked and needs a break - probably playing through an injury or two. Is it not the managers responsibility then to rest the player until he gets fully fit. It’s not like we short in the midfield department and it’s not like the other options would have let us down against the likes of Newcastle, Derby, Brighton, Everton and Bournemouth. This is where criticism of Jose is valid - his team/squad management has been poor. Even the most reliable need maintenance time out - Jose is of the opinion that a player should play through the injury barrier as a show of loyalty. And even through that if you don’t win his favor - look at what he has done to Bailly recently....

tomaldinho1

Journalist needs story. Ideally target is Man Utd (clickbait), Jose (more clickbait) and an article about 'the dressing room' (more clickbait)

Quick look at United form...poor
Quick look at Jose's fave players for scapegoat... Matic only option left
Quick article on how players are unhappy with no facts or sources

= Redcaf meltdown

RedDevil@84

Journalist needs story. Ideally target is Man Utd (clickbait), Jose (more clickbait) and an article about 'the dressing room' (more clickbait)

Quick look at United form...poor
Quick look at Jose's fave players for scapegoat... Matic only option left
Quick article on how players are unhappy with no facts or sources

= Redcaf meltdown
The players are also planning to lock Matic in bathroom to prevent Jose from picking him.

Negan

Matic is usually one of our most reliable players but yes he does need to be benched for a while. He’s out of form but let’s not go overboard. He’s just out of form.

Canagel

Matic is usually one of our most reliable players but yes he does need to be benched for a while. He’s out of form but let’s not go overboard. He’s just out of form.
He's been average for a year. It's like when people said he needs a rest.
I believe he was already declining last season and the world cup plus the surgery and getting rushed back for 3rd game of the season has finished him off. He's done

Negan

He's been average for a year. It's like when people said he needs a rest.
I believe he was already declining last season and the World Cup plus the surgery and getting rushed back for 3rd game of the season has finished him off. He's done
He’s not done. He’s only 29. It’s as simple as resting him IMO. The man looks shattered.

Canagel

He’s not done. He’s only 29. It’s as simple as resting him IMO. The man looks shattered.
He does need to come out of the team. You can call it a rest if you want but he needs to come out like Lukaku did. Fred or Periera to get a run of games in his position

RedStarUnited

Honestly I bet this is totally made up. Made up from scratch.
Im going to to entertain you for a second and ask this - Do you honestly think Perreira, Herrera and Fred wont have any issues with their lack of playing time Vs a guy whos clearly not playing well?

edgar allan

He does need to come out of the team. You can call it a rest if you want but he needs to come out like Lukaku did. Fred or Periera to get a run of games in his position
To be fair to him at the start of last season he was holding the team together, playing every game. From Christmas on he has been in decline.

Give him a month off and see if he can get his form and fitness back.

Ban

Im going to to entertain you for a second and ask this - Do you honestly think Perreira, Herrera and Fred wont have any issues with their lack of playing time Vs a guy whos clearly not playing well?
Well that was really entertaining, thanks.

Marcky411

Firstly Matic is finished and should retire, he will only get worse from here on. Chelsea didn't let him go for nothing, we got mugged with the Matic deal and Jose playing him every game is like flogging a dead horse.
I could still understand Jose's logic if we didn't have any replacements for him but UTD have several. We had Blind but Jose let him go and now we have got Pereira and Herrera who can play there and even Fosu could do a job the or if he doesn't trust any of them he could use his long lost son McTominay.

Jev

I completely agree with the players but for the squad to feel like it's their place to decide who should be dropped, and to go so far as to leak that to the press, is quite concerning.

Patrick08

He should raise his hands and specifically tell the manager that he needs a break as it's affecting his performances.

The attitude of giving it all for the manager is admirable, but he's getting himself and the club in terrible situation by doing so.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
To be fair to him at the start of last season he was holding the team together, playing every game. From Christmas on he has been in decline.

Give him a month off and see if he can get his form and fitness back.
It started before Christmas. Many people on this forum were already talking about how he looked tired and needed a bit of a rest by the time we got to late September - mid October last season. His form has just slowly but surely declined over his entire time here, with some people being happy with him for longer than others, but obviously this season he's gotten so much worse that I don't think anybody (bar Jose apparently) is happy with him.

ToToMarshall

He should raise his hands and specifically tell the manager that he needs a break as it's affecting his performances.

The attitude of giving it all for the manager is admirable, but he's getting himself and the club in terrible situation by doing so.
That’s never going to happen, not his responsibility to do that either. Entirely up to José

Maticmaker

I think a number of people are missing the point.
Matic is the one man on the pitch Mourinho can trust to carry out his orders to the letter, thats why he bought him. Like others on this thread I suspect Matic is carrying some kind of injury, but whilst he can stand, he will be Jose's first name on the team sheet... well maybe after De Gea!

What a difference Matic made when he first arrived, fans were rubbing their hands at the thoughts of Pogba and Matic in our mid-field together. Although skill wise Pogba is streets ahead of Matic, I would argue of the two of them Pogba has disappointed most and has let us down more than Matic has.
Then again I'm biased. Matic is not a long term bet for certain, but he is filling a gap just now.

Sil

Are you, like me, disgusted with the decision of Premier League clubs to give Richard Scudamore a £5m farewell? He had been very well paid for doing his job, hasn't he? And, I'm sure he doesn't need the money- perhaps he's an honourable man, and he'll refuse the gift, or donate it to charity!!